Solo Transatlantic - Epic or RCI Jewel of the Seas

Newbcruiser1

Opinions/Advice/Experience-sharing Needed!

First off - I am posting this on both the RCI board and the NCL board to hopefully get opinions from what might be "both sides".

I am looking to take my 12th cruise overall, and 2nd Transatlantic cruise this fall. The 2 options that are within reach price-wise and timing wise are as follows:

1. NCL Epic - 13 night TA from Barcelona to Port Canaveral with stops in Tenerife and San Juan. Room would likely be a studio (closet, albeit funky colored), unless the price drops on other categories. Bonus - would include 1 "free" perk, of which I would select either the ultimate drink package or ultimate dining package. The con there is that the service fees on the drink package are about $200 - which is likely less than or equal to would spend on drinks if I didn't have the package.

2. RCI Jewel of the Seas - 12 night from Rome to San Juan with stops in Valencia, Lisbon, and the Azores. No bonus perks or OBC offer BUT I would have Diamond Lounge access for evening happy hour (among other perks - this would be my first cruise as diamond).

So the reasons I am torn:

- I am a 30ish female who will be traveling solo. I would like to spend a bit of time (1-3 days) in the embarkation port pre-cruise and am thinking about safety and ease and cost of transportation. Also, I have been to Italy on a land trip many years ago and spent 4 days in Rome so I'm not totally dying to go back.

- Getting from Rome to Civitavecchia sounds like a hassle as a young solo female who admittedly is NOT a light packer. I may be able to get my luggage onto the train WITH assistance, but that's about it! I will have a 30" rolling suitcase and a small arsenal of carry-on items (crossbody purse, tote bag, and small wheeled carry on). Yes I can manage lugging all of the bags quite easily for short smooth distances (from curbside through the airport and vice versa) primarily because they all nest on top of one another or on my arm. Contrary - Getting around Barcelona looks to be much easier with taxi rides being the only necessary transportation between airport, hotel, and port. Also looks potentially "slightly" safer, but I could be wrong there.

- I have not been to Tenerife (Epic) or to Valencia, Lisbon, or the Azores (Jewel). I'd prefer to visit 3 new ports than just 1.

So I suppose I prefer the embarkation port of the Epic (which would be a 2nd new place to me) but the cruising ports of the Jewel.

- Ships - I have sailed on the Epic before and loved the ship. The waterslides, entertainment, shows, food, etc - liked it all better than RCI as I found it more age-appropriate. I also loved the studio lounge and met some wonderful people there - it was like cruising with friends. Great for a solo. In terms of the Jewel - I sailed on the Radiance way back when (and on 2 similar Celebrity cruises) and it's a great "little" ship. There are less activities and less locations to enjoy on the ship. Entertainment on RCI has been "meh" for me lately. And I'm NOT a nightlife person but I found I actually enjoyed it on the Epic. Having said that though, I connected with tons of solos on the roll call for my last cruise on RCI, we arranged a solo group table in the MDR, and we had a blast as well! Same effect as NCL's Studio lounge, but limited to those participating in the roll call.

Some caveats:

1. I would book either in a studio room and watch closely for price drops, price changes on other categories in which I could upgrade to, added perks, etc. Neither studio looks particularly appealing to me - very cramped and dark.

2. I have found some wonderful airfare deals to Rome and home from SJU that will be ending this weekend - these deals are specific for the Jewel! Getting to BCN would be a bit more of a hassle in terms of airfare with a connecting flight, but should cost about the same.

3. I already have a deposit on the studio inside on the Jewel so I wouldn't lose the (last) studio room.

4. Both have very active roll calls - yes, I already posted on them! :)

Lots of info! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Predictable answers on this forum! Hahaha! ;)

Thanks for the thoughts so far! Anyone else? Pick for the ship and starting port, OR itinerary?

Yeppers. May I add my 2 cents? The Norwegian Jade - leaving Barcelona on same day as Epic, heading back to the USA.

We've been on the Epic 3 times (two of them were TAs) and loved her but this time we're on the Jade TA due to its better itinerary and finishing port (Tampa) which is better and cheaper for us to fly home than Epic's Port Canaveral. (you need to transport to Orlando for the flight home)

Jade's TA is 14 days and her stops are Cartagena, Malaga, Madeira, BERMUDA, Miami.

Jade is smaller than Epic, but it's also great. You'll also do fine on her. See if you can get a cabin within your budget. I'm sure there is a solo gatherings, but you can always meet people via the roll call.

Cheers.

Edited by bluesea777

Yeppers. May I add my 2 cents? The Norwegian Jade - leaving Barcelona on same day as Epic, heading back to the USA.

We've been on the Epic 3 times (two of them were TAs) and loved her but this time we're on the Jade TA due to its better itinerary and finishing port (Tampa) which is better and cheaper for us to fly home than Epic's Port Canaveral. (you need to transport to Orlando for the flight home)

Jade's TA is 14 days and her stops are Cartagena, Malaga, Madeira, BERMUDA, Miami.

Jade is smaller than Epic, but it's also great. You'll also do fine on her. See if you can get a cabin within your budget. I'm sure there is a solo gatherings, but you can always meet people via the roll call.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice! Jade is unfortunately more than the Epic, and is sold out of OV and Balcony so no opportunity to upgrade (unless there are cancellations, of course!). I will certainly keep an eye on it though! :)

I've been on both these ship on TransAtlantics. I've found the TA's to go rock bottom after final payment, so booking ahead isn't likely to get you the "drops" you are looking for. Also NCL is noted for dropping their single supplement, just before sailing, which is well after final payment. I've taken advantage of these, 3 times already this year, including a TA on the Spirit- with an end cost of $301 TOTAL. :)

I have no trouble getting to either Rome or Barcelona's ports. I do pack light. Your style, is going to cost you more for a Rome transportation, since no way can you take the train, and lug up your stuff a flight of stairs- no porters.

If you truly can't decide, and have to book ahead, then flip a coin perhaps??? :)

I must add in my vote for Epic. I'm travelling solo on her for the TA again this year, and I have dozens of friends from prior TA's that are also sailing, so not really solo at all.

Such a great group of singles and couples, and unless you hide under a rock, you'll be having a great time with them as well :)

Thanks BQ and SuiteCruiser.

SuiteCruiser - great to hear about all of the solos! The TAs seem to really attract them which is great in terms of meeting people! I had a blast on the Independence because there were so many of us, so I'm sure this one will be much the same!

BQ - unfortunately booking last minute isn't in the cards due to airfare concerns. But that's good to know that the prices tend to drop last minute as that means I may be able to upgrade my room (assuming it doesn't sell out! My TA on the Independence last month sold out prior to the cruise). My jaw is on the floor though with your deal on the Spirit! Way to go! I booked my Epic cruise 2 years ago just 3 days before sailing and got a fabulous deal... Somehow all the stars aligned in that I was off work, was able to book airfare flying in the day of cruise (I was able to check the weather being so close to the sailing date... But yes I was still worried about it!) for peanuts, and the cruise was cheap!

New information for the equation:

Things pushing me towards the Jewel now... The itinerary (Lisbon, Valencia, and Azores), and... The airfare is cheaper to Rome (at least with a current sale) for the Jewel, and I found a hotel in Civitavecchia that has an airport and cruise shuttle package which would eliminate the travel difficulty (for a cost of course... $240CAD for a room and both transfers - Hotel San Giorgio, which happens to be where all of the CruiseCritic roll call people are staying as well.

Still prefer the embarkation port of the Epic (based on airfare offerings, I'd likely have about 24 hours in Barcelona pre-embarkation) and the ship.

Think of it this way: is 24 hours in Barcelona worth trading for 3 new ports? Why not save Barcelona for a trip when you could spend more time there?

If you can solve the baggage/Rome issue -- you seem to have a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think of it this way: is 24 hours in Barcelona worth trading for 3 new ports? Why not save Barcelona for a trip when you could spend more time there?

If you can solve the baggage/Rome issue -- you seem to have a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you only have 24 hours (jetlagged I think) in Barcelona you are going to have to go back anyway!! It just is not enough time to see all that Barcelona has to offer. You might as well save it for a 3 day stay prior to a 7 day Med cruise at another time.

I had another thought that if you upgrade out of the single studios on the EPIC do you still have access to the studio lounge where you are probably going to meet up with other singles? Might not be an issue with a TA as you probably hook up in other ways.

I just am finishing 9 days on Anthem OTS after 7 on the Breakaway. Unless the Jewel is very different from the Anthem, the Studio there is just a smaller cabin. I found the amenities and socializing opportunities FAR more appealing than anything on the Anthem. I love the Radiance class ships and would chose that for a regular cabin, but for a Studio my choice would be NCL hands down.

Roy

Thanks for the replies.

Re: the time in Barcelona - I would only have 1 day IF I take the reasonable flight I am looking at (which is half the price of all the others at this point). Unfortunately that flight only happens once a week in the late fall. But Barcelona isn't the only reason I like that cruise - it's the ship. Way more to do on the Epic, better entertainment (I realize that's a personal thing), and the studio lounge... Which yes I would still have access to during the evening (only) even if I were to upgrade out of a studio.

I guess it's a tough call - there are some cruises you book for the ship and others that you book for the itinerary (port-intensive) and this one is sort of in-between...

If I book the Epic, it would be more for the ship (and port of embarkation). If I book the Jewel, it would be for the itinerary (but I would sacrifice a lot of sea days on a smaller ship).

So indecisive!!!!

Thanks for the replies.

Re: the time in Barcelona - I would only have 1 day IF I take the reasonable flight I am looking at (which is half the price of all the others at this point). Unfortunately that flight only happens once a week in the late fall. But Barcelona isn't the only reason I like that cruise - it's the ship. Way more to do on the Epic, better entertainment (I realize that's a personal thing), and the studio lounge... Which yes I would still have access to during the evening (only) even if I were to upgrade out of a studio.

I guess it's a tough call - there are some cruises you book for the ship and others that you book for the itinerary (port-intensive) and this one is sort of in-between...

If I book the Epic, it would be more for the ship (and port of embarkation). If I book the Jewel, it would be for the itinerary (but I would sacrifice a lot of sea days on a smaller ship).

So indecisive!!!!

Flip the coin. :) :)

I'll have my eye on the Epic for a late booking, which might dump like it has been. :)

Does anyone know if NCL allows you to move to a different category room after final payment if there's a price drop?

I wasn't impressed by their policy of no changes to guarantee room assignments as RCI allows changes within the same category of room they assigned you to.

Does anyone know if NCL allows you to move to a different category room after final payment if there's a price drop?

I wasn't impressed by their policy of no changes to guarantee room assignments as RCI allows changes within the same category of room they assigned you to.

Isn't it nice to have these choices and I am also a solo cruiser? In my case, it is the TA on the Epic versus the Jade leaving Barcelona the same day. However, my air is already set because I booked round trip for my TA on the Jade two months ago. It was cheaper than buying a one-way ticket.

Like Budget Queen suggested, I am waiting until about 3 to 4 weeks before embarkation to make my final decision on Epic or Jade. I actually enjoy the smaller ship more. The Jade has more interesting ports of call and it is also one day longer. Another personal plus for the Jade is the complimentary steam room and wrap around promenade deck that I utilized daily. Choices, choices! :)

Can't answer your question about upgrades from guarantees, but I would assume that paying the difference should not be a problem.

Edited by IrieBajan54

Thanks once again for the thoughts and opinions! I just wanted to post an update...

I made a decision thanks to some wonderful airfare deals using my credit card points - booked the Epic with 2 days in Barcelona pre and 2 nights in Orlando post (planning to go to Universal Studios). Very excited!

Thanks once again for the thoughts and opinions! I just wanted to post an update...

I made a decision thanks to some wonderful airfare deals using my credit card points - booked the Epic with 2 days in Barcelona pre and 2 nights in Orlando post (planning to go to Universal Studios). Very excited!

Look forward to meeting you :) Just made the final payment on my suite, so excited!

Opinions/Advice/Experience-sharing Needed!

First off - I am posting this on both the RCI board and the NCL board to hopefully get opinions from what might be "both sides".

I am looking to take my 12th cruise overall, and 2nd Transatlantic cruise this fall. The 2 options that are within reach price-wise and timing wise are as follows:

1. NCL Epic - 13 night TA from Barcelona to Port Canaveral with stops in Tenerife and San Juan. Room would likely be a studio (closet, albeit funky colored), unless the price drops on other categories. Bonus - would include 1 "free" perk, of which I would select either the ultimate drink package or ultimate dining package. The con there is that the service fees on the drink package are about $200 - which is likely less than or equal to would spend on drinks if I didn't have the package.

2. RCI Jewel of the Seas - 12 night from Rome to San Juan with stops in Valencia, Lisbon, and the Azores. No bonus perks or OBC offer BUT I would have Diamond Lounge access for evening happy hour (among other perks - this would be my first cruise as diamond).

So the reasons I am torn:

- I am a 30ish female who will be traveling solo. I would like to spend a bit of time (1-3 days) in the embarkation port pre-cruise and am thinking about safety and ease and cost of transportation. Also, I have been to Italy on a land trip many years ago and spent 4 days in Rome so I'm not totally dying to go back.

- Getting from Rome to Civitavecchia sounds like a hassle as a young solo female who admittedly is NOT a light packer. I may be able to get my luggage onto the train WITH assistance, but that's about it! I will have a 30" rolling suitcase and a small arsenal of carry-on items (crossbody purse, tote bag, and small wheeled carry on). Yes I can manage lugging all of the bags quite easily for short smooth distances (from curbside through the airport and vice versa) primarily because they all nest on top of one another or on my arm. Contrary - Getting around Barcelona looks to be much easier with taxi rides being the only necessary transportation between airport, hotel, and port. Also looks potentially "slightly" safer, but I could be wrong there.

- I have not been to Tenerife (Epic) or to Valencia, Lisbon, or the Azores (Jewel). I'd prefer to visit 3 new ports than just 1.

So I suppose I prefer the embarkation port of the Epic (which would be a 2nd new place to me) but the cruising ports of the Jewel.

- Ships - I have sailed on the Epic before and loved the ship. The waterslides, entertainment, shows, food, etc - liked it all better than RCI as I found it more age-appropriate. I also loved the studio lounge and met some wonderful people there - it was like cruising with friends. Great for a solo. In terms of the Jewel - I sailed on the Radiance way back when (and on 2 similar Celebrity cruises) and it's a great "little" ship. There are less activities and less locations to enjoy on the ship. Entertainment on RCI has been "meh" for me lately. And I'm NOT a nightlife person but I found I actually enjoyed it on the Epic. Having said that though, I connected with tons of solos on the roll call for my last cruise on RCI, we arranged a solo group table in the MDR, and we had a blast as well! Same effect as NCL's Studio lounge, but limited to those participating in the roll call.

Some caveats:

1. I would book either in a studio room and watch closely for price drops, price changes on other categories in which I could upgrade to, added perks, etc. Neither studio looks particularly appealing to me - very cramped and dark.

2. I have found some wonderful airfare deals to Rome and home from SJU that will be ending this weekend - these deals are specific for the Jewel! Getting to BCN would be a bit more of a hassle in terms of airfare with a connecting flight, but should cost about the same.

3. I already have a deposit on the studio inside on the Jewel so I wouldn't lose the (last) studio room.

4. Both have very active roll calls - yes, I already posted on them! :)

Lots of info! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

EPIC. Also a solo here, and booked for the Oct TA. Barcelona is a wonderful city. I do suggest keeping your personal belonging close. But other then that the city is wonderful. Do the Eoic.

EPIC. Also a solo here, and booked for the Oct TA. Barcelona is a wonderful city. I do suggest keeping your personal belonging close. But other then that the city is wonderful. Do the Eoic.

Already booked and booked my flights so it's finalized! Look forward to meeting you onboard!