Brilliance with a fussy eater

Hi all :):)

Doing 12 night med cruise July 18th from Barcelona with hubby & 16 year old.

Son will literally eat only burgers, chips, fish, chicken, pizza etc of same stuff :rolleyes:

I would love to eat in main restaurant so we can all dress up on formal nights but wondering what menu is:eek:

I'm guessing windjammer is more sons way of eating but can anyone tell me main restaurants menus for evening.

Thanks.

At 16 if the menu in MDR doesn't take his fancy (and if you ask I'm pretty sure they'll find him something) send him off to the buffet on formal night while you and hubby have a romantic night dressed to the nines.

You can get everything that you posted in the MDR. There is fish and chicken on the menu every night. Some of the other items you listed are on the kids menu, so your son can order off that menu, though the portions will be smaller. You can also order something that is not on the menu, but be prepared to wait a little longer for it to be prepared.

My son was somewhat picky at that age too, but we were always able to find something for him in the MDR. If he didn't like anything on the menu that night, he would get plain pasta and have the everyday chicken entree put on top of it. He would eat steak, but hated the sauces and mushrooms, we just asked for those to be left off.

The waiter will work with you to get you what your son is looking for.

All ships have all that "picky" stuff...no worries. However...just as a note...if a kid gets hungry enough, they will eat anything...and learn to love it. Take it from a parent of a "picky" eater, who's child went out on their own, got starving and learned to eat like a "foodie"!

Don't cater to their every need...you're doing them no favors!

I am a picky eater (more because of issues with food allergies but still) and can attest that plain chicken (as well as chicken tenders and fries) and plain steak are available every night. I believe there is also a nightly fish option that stays consistent but I don't eat fish so I cant promise that : ) I am sure he will find something : )

Edited by DkswartzFamily

I have Celiac and am about the pickiest eater ever. I always am able to find things to eat in the MDR. If the nightly menu does not have anything I want, I do the chicken breast or the steak. I also do not eat sea food so cannot comment on that. I typically just have a plain piece of meat and a baked potato and possibly a vegetable if it is plain green beans or plain steamed carrots. I am sure he will find things he will like.

Enjoy your cruise!!

All ships have all that "picky" stuff...no worries. However...just as a note...if a kid gets hungry enough, they will eat anything...and learn to love it. Take it from a parent of a "picky" eater, who's child went out on their own, got starving and learned to eat like a "foodie"!

I agree! At 16, your son is possibly ready to start developing a more varied palate and travel is one of the best ways to expose him to alternative options without making him feel that you are pushing him. You know that if a kid feels that he or she has made their own decision, they're on their own way to adulthood. Maybe sitting in an elegant dining room and being given a menu of well prepared dishes that don't include chicken nuggets or burgers, might be the making of him. Bon apetit!

As I recall the every night choice on the menus included a couple of sliders! Every time I suggest I'm going to have a hamberger for dinner wifey suggests something else but they are there[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will never forget when my cousin and her husband joined us for their very first cruise. When they looked at the MDR menu they both said there is nothing that we like here!! I almost hid under the table. I can't remember what they ate that night. The head waiter came over and told them that the menu is posted everyday outside the dining room. He told them to look it over and if there wasn't anything they liked to come see him and he would make sure they had something of their choice!! However, every night at 10pm they went and made sure they had their pizza at the place where they were making it. We still talk about it to this day. Fussy eaters you bet!!! Enjoyed the cruise without a doubt. Have to love families.

Carol

My then 11-year-old son's favorite part of the cruise was when he didn't like what was in the MDR, he ran up to the Windjammer to get himself a plate of whatever and brought it back down to the MDR. I do recall the waiter saying they could make him something different, but he liked being able to make buffet runs on his own. I'm sure the MDR will accommodate, but it's always an option to either send him off to Windjammer on his own or he can bring food from there to the MDR if you want to eat together.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My now adult son has always been a picky eater. He went on his first cruise at age 12 and the only thing he ever ate off the kids menu are the chocolate chip cookies. He enjoys being able to try something new knowing that if he doesn't like it he can order something else and not worry about having to pay for a second meal. He has tried many new foods on cruises, though he continues to be picky when at home.

Have to disagree with kids eating anything if they get hungry enough - however on that note there is always something to satisfy your son OP - childrens menu sounds right up his alley.

My youngest was a picky eater and he also liked cruising because he could try something and not feel like he was wasting money. He still often gets the plain steak or chicken but he has tried many new things while on vacation.