Children at Chef's Table?

Carolyn I know that you are familiar with the Michael saga on the Liberty. He was coming back this month with wife and grandchildren. He said Carlos assured him that his grandchildren would be allowed in the lounge during happy hours. Perhaps this is unique to the Liberty where D+ are no longer allowed in the SL/CL.

Edited by Don Pedro

Carolyn I know that you are familiar with the Michael saga on the Liberty. He was coming back this month with wife and grandchildren. He said Carlos assured him that his grandchildren would be allowed in the lounge during happy hours. Perhaps this is unique to the Liberty where D+ are no longer allowed in the SL/CL.

cl.

DL or SL? Oops, I think I missed the answer

Edited by John&LaLa

CT was awesome on Majesty in her new Port. We had a special guest Chef. Eddie Murphy Jr cooked for us. Stevie Wonder was also a guest. We had tons of fun and laughs with our wonderful celebrities, plenty of wine, good conversations and new friends. Did I mention the food was great too.

2118580427_image1(4).jpg.10a3860ebfcffe58d9bb972d07d95dfc.jpg

569226421_image2(1).jpg.34bc52f37179ea4901b63680da8cff43.jpg

Edited by troykahack

This was in reference too the remark that was made that is always about the money with RCCL, and as it should be. As a Stockholder, I fully expect RCCL to attempt to fill the seats and bring profitability .

Our CT only had 6 people at a 12 person event.

It looks like most (or some?) ships are doing CT on several nights now. I think a compromise could be reached by simply placing people who bring children at a completely separate table for the Chef's Table dinner....

Judy

Troykahack -- No problem with RCI (or you!) making money, but you may be eroding your primary market. I was thinking of going CT for my next cruise, but knowing that it's at Thanksgiving and packed with families, I might not be as inclined to go.

I agree with foxgoodrich (and MyFuzzy!) -- if you could do a Family CT and an adult only CT, I'd be much more inclined to spend the extra money. (And I would think you'd attract more families!) Seems like a better business model, and everyone is happy. Hooray common sense! ;)

A family CT would be great, but I am guessing that these families (with their exceptional children) would still want to eat with other adults and not the (possibly non-exceptional) children of the other adults.

Troykahack -- No problem with RCI (or you!) making money, but you may be eroding your primary market. I was thinking of going CT for my next cruise, but knowing that it's at Thanksgiving and packed with families, I might not be as inclined to go.

I agree with foxgoodrich (and MyFuzzy!) -- if you could do a Family CT and an adult only CT, I'd be much more inclined to spend the extra money. (And I would think you'd attract more families!) Seems like a better business model, and everyone is happy. Hooray common sense! ;)

I like that....a CT for kids....food geared towards kids and how its prepared, hmm with all those cooking shows on the food network geared towards kids...It IS a win win....suggest it to the company and ask for a "cut" LOL

I like that....a CT for kids....food geared towards kids and how its prepared, hmm with all those cooking shows on the food network geared towards kids...It IS a win win....suggest it to the company and ask for a "cut" LOL

Perfect idea! Parents could drop them off for the Adventure Ocean version of Chef's Table. It could be a KIDS ONLY event!:D

Judy

Just in case anyone is interested, below is the menu we had on Liberty at Chef's Table on May 10. We thought both the food and the wine pairings were outstanding, both the chef and the sommelier were personable and informative in their presentations, and we enjoyed it very much! The sommelier told us each wine pour would be about 3 oz, but most of them were actually healthier than that and second pours were forthcoming as well. So the minimum amount of wine would have been around 18 oz per person. A few people had much more than that.

We met first for a glass of champagne in a lounge, then proceeded as a group to Chef's Table. We had 6 courses, 6 wines, and it lasted 3 hours and about 10 minutes. We were a nice compatible group of 12 adults (no kids at ours!), we had great interactions/conversations and nobody overindulged to the point of being difficult to be with.

(although there was a little slurred speech toward the end...:o)

MILLE FEUILLES OF VEGETABLES

"en vinaigrette"

Tuiles of parmesan and fresh basil pesto

Kim Crawford, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

SWEET PEA SOUP

Crisp of prosciutto, extra virgin olive oil, garnished with poached quail eggs

Reisling, Prum Blue, Germany

BRAISED SHORT RIB RAVIOLI

Green & liver sauce, truffle perfumed gravy

Spy Valley, Pinot Noir, New Zealand

BRANDY FLAMBEED LOBSTER

Sweet potato puree, capsicum coulis, lemon butter sauce

Chateau Aussieres, Chardonnay, Languedoc, France

PRIME BEEF TENDERLOIN MEDIUM

Smoked mashed potato, morel sauce

La Vite Lucent, Tuscany, Italy

CHOCOLATE SABOTAGE

Duo of Chocolate Mousse, Ganache, Cardamom Lava cake

Moscato, Castello Del Poggio, Italy

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

I see no problem with children attending an event such as the Chef's Table as long as they know the proper etiquette expected of them and do not disrupt the dining experience. It is the responsibility of a parent to know if such an experience is appropriate for their child, and if the child starts acting up they have a responsibility to excuse themselves.

The Chef's Table can be a great way to expose children to fine dining, taste new foods and to learn. As long as the child is mature and well behaved enough to not disrupt the experience for others why not help enrich their palate and mind?

A family CT would be great, but I am guessing that these families (with their exceptional children) would still want to eat with other adults and not the (possibly non-exceptional) children of the other adults.

Yes, often only their child is special enough. ;)

Just in case anyone is interested, below is the menu we had on Liberty at Chef's Table on May 10. We thought both the food and the wine pairings were outstanding, both the chef and the sommelier were personable and informative in their presentations, and we enjoyed it very much! The sommelier told us each wine pour would be about 3 oz, but most of them were actually healthier than that and second pours were forthcoming as well. So the minimum amount of wine would have been around 18 oz per person. A few people had much more than that.

We met first for a glass of champagne in a lounge, then proceeded as a group to Chef's Table. We had 6 courses, 6 wines, and it lasted 3 hours and about 10 minutes. We were a nice compatible group of 12 adults (no kids at ours!), we had great interactions/conversations and nobody overindulged to the point of being difficult to be with.

(although there was a little slurred speech toward the end...:o)

MILLE FEUILLES OF VEGETABLES

"en vinaigrette"

Tuiles of parmesan and fresh basil pesto

Kim Crawford, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

SWEET PEA SOUP

Crisp of prosciutto, extra virgin olive oil, garnished with poached quail eggs

Reisling, Prum Blue, Germany

BRAISED SHORT RIB RAVIOLI

Green & liver sauce, truffle perfumed gravy

Spy Valley, Pinot Noir, New Zealand

BRANDY FLAMBEED LOBSTER

Sweet potato puree, capsicum coulis, lemon butter sauce

Chateau Aussieres, Chardonnay, Languedoc, France

PRIME BEEF TENDERLOIN MEDIUM

Smoked mashed potato, morel sauce

La Vite Lucent, Tuscany, Italy

CHOCOLATE SABOTAGE

Duo of Chocolate Mousse, Ganache, Cardamom Lava cake

Moscato, Castello Del Poggio, Italy

Judy

Where did they hold it. On Freedom it's in WJ, and I won't go because of that. To many distractions

I see no problem with children attending an event such as the Chef's Table as long as they know the proper etiquette expected of them and do not disrupt the dining experience. It is the responsibility of a parent to know if such an experience is appropriate for their child, and if the child starts acting up they have a responsibility to excuse themselves.

The Chef's Table can be a great way to expose children to fine dining, taste new foods and to learn. As long as the child is mature and well behaved enough to not disrupt the experience for others why not help enrich their palate and mind?

Sorry, I just can't agree with you! The Chef's Table event is focused on DRINKING WINE. Adults drink wine. Adults enjoy learning about the wines and how they work with food. It's about alcohol. It's all about how to pair wines with foods. How would this experience enrich a child's palate and mind? How would the child judge how well the Reisling paired with the Sweet Pea Soup and participate in that discussion? Why would that knowledge be of any benefit or interest to a child?

Proper etiquette has nothing to do with it. Drinking wine has everything to do with it. Chef's Table is simply not an appropriate environment for children. Period. If parents want to expose their children to fine dining, they should just take them to the MDR every night or to a specialty restaurant like Chops, Giovanni's, Izumi, etc. There is absolutely NOT ONE SINGLE benefit for a child at a wine pairing dinner such as Chef's Table.

Judy

Sorry, I just can't agree with you! The Chef's Table event is focused on DRINKING WINE. Adults drink wine. Adults enjoy learning about the wines and how they work with food. It's about alcohol. It's all about how to pair wines with foods. How would this experience enrich a child's palate and mind? How would the child judge how well the Reisling paired with the Sweet Pea Soup and participate in that discussion? Why would that knowledge be of any benefit or interest to a child?

Proper etiquette has nothing to do with it. Drinking wine has everything to do with it. Chef's Table is simply not an appropriate environment for children. Period. If parents want to expose their children to fine dining, they should just take them to the MDR every night or to a specialty restaurant like Chops, Giovanni's, Izumi, etc. There is absolutely NOT ONE SINGLE benefit for a child at a wine pairing dinner such as Chef's Table.

Judy

Do you have kids, and if so, grand kids, maybe great grands??

I enjoy my kids and grand kids.... I always took my kids to special events and dinners as we had nobody to watch them. Why can't people just relax and make the best out of the event.

Where did they hold it. On Freedom it's in WJ, and I won't go because of that. To many distractions

Actually it was in the WJ on Liberty too - I had misgivings when I learned the location, but it actually turned out to be great. One side of the WJ was open to people wanting dinner there, and the side we were on was completely closed off.

As you entered the WJ, the right side was open for dinner, and Chef's Table guests were taken to the closed left side. Our long table was beautifully dressed with white linens, silverware, and lots of wine glasses at each place. We were directly across from the WJ grill/galley and could see the chef and his assistants preparing our courses. There really was no distraction from people eating on the other side, other than the fact that some of us could see them coming and going if we looked in the direction of the WJ entrance. There was really no background noise.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the location worked! The biggest advantage was the proximity to the galley prep area since all the food was served immediately when it was ready. Hot stuff was hot and cold stuff was cold!:)

Judy

Actually it was in the WJ on Liberty too - I had misgivings when I learned the location, but it actually turned out to be great. One side of the WJ was open to people wanting dinner there, and the side we were on was completely closed off.

As you entered the WJ, the right side was open for dinner, and Chef's Table guests were taken to the closed left side. Our long table was beautifully dressed with white linens, silverware, and lots of wine glasses at each place. We were directly across from the WJ grill/galley and could see the chef and his assistants preparing our courses. There really was no distraction from people eating on the other side, other than the fact that some of us could see them coming and going if we looked in the direction of the WJ entrance. There was really no background noise.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the location worked! The biggest advantage was the proximity to the galley prep area since all the food was served immediately when it was ready. Hot stuff was hot and cold stuff was cold!:)

Judy

Well, I may have to try it in August.

Thanks for your description

On Majesty, 5/27, just off the main dinning room. You must enter through main dinning area to access room. Very limited space, would be a bit crowed if more than 12 attended.

Worth a try and worth the money, in wine alone.... one endless bottle for each course.

Oops! This was meant to be a reply for John and LaLa. :)

Also, if the menu isn't to your liking, or you have food allergies, they're very accommodating. I'm not fond of scallops, and they let me choose my starters from the Chops menu. This was done the day we booked. The evening of the Table, they brought out what I chose at the same time as everyone else's, and drew no attention to me. Very professional.

Edited by jules815

I enjoy my kids and grand kids.... I always took my kids to special events and dinners as we had nobody to watch them. Why can't people just relax and make the best out of the event.

I have a child and love her to bits. But for ME I wouldn't take her to a wine pairing dinner that runs close to 3 hours. It's not about the drinking since she will sit with us at other venues for a drink (or two) before dinner. It's the length of time and the dinner and wine pairing. I would rather enjoy this without children myself and make it a "date night" as I like to call them.

Would I ask for a refund if someone brought their child, no. But I would think the parents may have a better and more relaxed time having the child at kids camp, with a relative or in room baby sitting. Is there a child that would actually enjoy 3 hours of dining and listening about wine pairing and adult conversation? It's not just about the adult wanting to bring the child but also will the child REALLY enjoy this.

Edited by brenderlou

Yes, of course - if you've read my previous posts, you'd see references to my grandkids. I've taken them to many special events, and we go out to eat in nice restaurants regularly. We've flown on airplanes, cruised on ships, stayed in hotels, attended the ballet repeatedly, gone to plays, gone to movies, gone to major league games, etc. None of these events were focused on drinking booze, although drinks were served at many of them. The focus was always something of interest to the kids and never on something that could be detrimental to them.

As adults we need to have enough judgement to make good choices for our kids and grandkids. Bringing them to an event focused on drinking alcohol is just not a good choice. Take a kid to hang out in a bar with me so I can get a Mojito or two? Uh, no. Take a kid to a wine pairing dinner so I can have a lot of wine with a gourmet dinner? Uh, no.

My question is different than yours...Why can't people relax, give a care about child growth and development, consider the needs of their children at least as much as their own, use good judgement, and make better choices?

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

Yes, of course - if you've read my previous posts, you'd see references to my grandkids. I've taken them to many special events, and we go out to eat in nice restaurants regularly. We've flown on airplanes, cruised on ships, stayed in hotels, attended the ballet repeatedly, gone to plays, gone to movies, gone to major league games, etc. None of these events were focused on drinking booze, although drinks were served at many of them. The focus was always something of interest to the kids and never on something that could be detrimental to them.

As adults we need to have enough judgement to make good choices for our kids and grandkids. Bringing them to an event focused on drinking alcohol is just not a good choice. Take a kid to hang out in a bar with me so I can get a Mojito or two? Uh, no. Take a kid to a wine pairing dinner so I can have a lot of wine with a gourmet dinner? Uh, no.

My question is different than yours...Why can't people relax, give a care about child growth and development, consider the needs of their children at least as much as their own, use good judgement, and make better choices?

Judy

I just wrote a post and practically said the same thing. I just don't think a child is going to enjoy a 3 hour wine pairing dinner. The consumption of alcohol doesn't bother me as it is not meant as a get drunk dinner. But, how boring for a child to sit through for up to 3 hours.

So many options on a ship that the child could be having fun elsewhere and not waiting for the 5th course and which wine will be served.

I have an 11 year old and she would not want to be stuck at that table for that amount of time and I doubt many would want to be.

Edited by brenderlou

Well, I may have to try it in August.

Thanks for your description

Do give it a try, then come back and tell us about your experience! I think you'll be surprised at how well it really works in the Windjammer - I know I was.

I understand your reservations completely. I mean...the concepts of AMBIENCE and ELEGANCE and GOURMET are hard to reconcile with your mental image of the Windjammer, right? (Or as my now adult son used to call it... 'the Foodcrammer'...) The lighting is different at night in there, and that helps. Also having the Chef's Table all by itself on one side is great. And somehow it works.

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

All these posts are well thought our and opinions expressed. What I would like to see happen... is a family book the CT, interact with the other guests and report back on how your child(ren) enjoyed their evening, as well as the guests, who have just spent an evening with others pride and joys.

When I book the CT and have the opportunity of spending it with Jack or Jill, and enjoy the conversation of Elsa or Jacks science project, I will politely ask the parents to please refund my money, as my hard earned $$ are spent for my enjoyment, not entertaining their children.

I just wrote a post and practically said the same thing. I just don't think a child is going to enjoy a 3 hour wine pairing dinner. The consumption of alcohol doesn't bother me as it is not meant as a get drunk dinner. But, how boring for a child to sit through for up to 3 hours.

So many options on a ship that the child could be having fun elsewhere and not waiting for the 5th course and which wine will be served.

I have an 11 year old and she would not want to be stuck at that table for that amount of time and I doubt many would want to be.

You are absolutely right! Most likely your 11 year old COULD manage such an experience without misbehaving, and truth be told, most likely my almost 8 year old granddaughter COULD manage it too. She'd probably even try some of the unfamiliar food. But just because I think she COULD behave doesn't give me the right to take her into an environment where she'd be bored to death. I'd be treating HER badly. The key point is that both you and I recognize how inconsiderate WE would be to these kids to put them in a boring adult wine drinking/learning/dining situation for 3+ hours. There are so many other fun options for them, as you point out.

All these posts are well thought our and opinions expressed. What I would like to see happen... is a family book the CT, interact with the other guests and report back on how your child(ren) enjoyed their evening, as well as the guests, who have just spent an evening with others pride and joys.

When I book the CT and have the opportunity of spending it with Jack or Jill, and enjoy the conversation of Elsa or Jacks science project, I will politely ask the parents to please refund my money, as my hard earned $$ are spent for my enjoyment, not entertaining their children.

:D;) I like your post. But I've gotta tell you that you shouldn't count on that refund from the parents. However, if your polite request for a refund is rebuffed...well...there might be some behaviors YOU could engage in...or some vocabulary you might use in your conversation about that science project... that would encourage the parents to take Elsa and Jack elsewhere.:p

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich