Picture this: St Petersburg pickpockets up their game

OlsSalt

On a St. Petersburg excursion in 2009 our tour guide confessed that she herself was pick-pocketed in the "Rembrandt Room" in the Hermitage while speaking to a tour group.

On another cruise, this time the Med., our tour guide in Barcelona also cautioned us about pick-pockets. I asked him why it was such a problem in Spain. He was quite honest. For the most part, there's no will on the part of the government to prosecute the offenders. As long as there is no personal injury to the victim, the government is happy to look the other way.

... For the most part, there's no will on the part of the government to prosecute the offenders. As long as there is no personal injury to the victim, the government is happy to look the other way.

So true. The husband of the woman in our group (in St. Petersburg) who was almost pick-pocketed told a nearby policeman. He laughed loudly and the pick-pocket stood there shrugging and laughing too. :mad:

On a St. Petersburg excursion in 2009 our tour guide confessed that she herself was pick-pocketed in the "Rembrandt Room" in the Hermitage while speaking to a tour group.

I thought the pickpockets targeted tourists only.

I can't count the times in Barcelona we've seen men walking along the street with a wallet obvious in their back pockets -- an open invitation for tourists, but not for locals?

I am afraid that if the bag strap does not break or come apart that I will be dragged or knocked down or stabbed even if unintentional. I prefer a pocket under my clothes and a vest of many pockets. I don't usually even carry a purse these days. I have the huge I-phone and that is another big old target so best it is in the inside pocket. There is and always (well at least for hundreds of years)will be thieves. Mostly they are persons who take advantage of the moment -- they recognize the situations where they can most likely get something for their risk. You are targeted because you are a visitor and don't read the signs of the situation nor know the territory as well as those who practice (and I do mean practice and perfect!) their trade. Generally pick pockets are not as violent as say armed robbers or predators who harm a person to get the goods but you can not tell one from the other quickly and it is still a violation of your safe feeling (yep know from experience) Pac Safe purse might help -- can't prove it doesn't and some swear by them but I think some might make the situation worse -- you get injured from being dragged, knocked down or cut .

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I always carry a cheap 'dollar-store' wallet in my back pocket, filled with ID, showing that I'm the Prime Minister of Canada along with a few Monopoly bills.

I could use Canadian bills, but it would probably be found strewn on the street anyways.

Only taken once, but heck, I missed out on the entertainment when I finally noticed that it has been removed .

-:D-HA-luv it-

As a frequent international traveler for over forty years we have often warned here on CC about pickpockets all over tourist Europe. St Petersburg does have their issues, but so does nearly every tourist area on the continent. Smart tourists/visitors always assume that a pickpocket/purse snatcher is nearby and always take reasonable precautions. But focusing on just one place (i.e. St Petersburg) one can let their guard down in other places. The attempts we have foiled over the years...often happened in places that one would not suspect. One basic rule is never wear expensive jewelry of watches. When it comes to cameras, if one wants to use an expensive camera they really have to be vigilant. And the new big target are smartphones...so flashing that iPhone or new Samsung will quickly make you a ripe target.

We applaud the OP for using the best rule of all, which is to always be aware of your surroundings (and other people).

Hank

I always carry a cheap 'dollar-store' wallet in my back pocket, filled with ID, showing that I'm the Prime Minister of Canada along with a few Monopoly bills.

I could use Canadian bills, but it would probably be found strewn on the street anyways.

Only taken once, but heck, I missed out on the entertainment when I finally noticed that it has been removed .

I'm also from Ottawa. Your post was too funny. I must bring some Canadian Tire bills with me on my next cruise. Seriously, I just bought a new PacSafe purse.

Yes, some of these petty crooks can be very sophisticated in their team approach. They also often use a y0ung woman carrying a baby wanting help for her baby.

One thing that I have always found that discombobulates them is to rattle at them in a foreign language if someone approaches me with an innocent sounding question. I am fluent in Spanish, but really any gibberish will do! (In Spanish-speaking countries knowing the language is very helpful as they usually assume I don't understand what they are saying to each other.)

Another thing I used to do when living in a Third World country for two years is to carry a hat pin concealed in a hand with the point barely peeking out. One short jab usually does the trick! Crowding is usually a component of an approach.

Women also have to be very careful not to wear hoop earrings or anything else on their ears that can be jerked off, and often very painfully.

I also dress as to blend in with the locals of my same age and don't dress like a tourist!

Re the baby approach----we were warned in Italy when visiting the Leaning Tower of Pisa to watch out for baby tossers. Women carrying life-like dolls will toss the "baby" at an unsuspecting person. The person will instinctively react and reach out to catch the "baby", leaving their valuables vulnerable for the few seconds it takes for the accomplices to step in and act.

We did have a good laugh about the comment of "dressing to blend in with the locals" written by a fellow American. DW and I love to People Watch when we travel, and will often plant ourselves at a well-placed outdoor cafe (such as at the Piazza Navona in Rome) and spend hours watching the tour groups and tourists. In Rome these days, the best way to blend in would be to simply wear jeans and flip flops (or better foot wear). But Americans dress like Americans....no matter how hard they try to blend in. And then there are the cruisers who carefully choose their outfits, and then walk around all day with their cruise card hanging on a lanyard around their neck. And once you open your mouth, everyone within earshot knows where you live. Another fun thing to watch are those on cruise line (or other tour) excursions who walk around in groups (following a guide) and think they can blend-in. So hear is a flash! Locals do not take tours!

So rather then trying to "blend in" just wear what is comfortable and be happy as a tourist. But just take some reasonable precautions with your valuables (the best precaution is to leave un needed valuables in your room safe) and enjoy playing tourist.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Re the baby approach----we were warned in Italy when visiting the Leaning Tower of Pisa to watch out for baby tossers. Women carrying life-like dolls will toss the "baby" at an unsuspecting person. The person will instinctively react and reach out to catch the "baby", leaving their valuables vulnerable for the few seconds it takes for the accomplices to step in and act.

The major diversionary tactic on the Spanish Steps in Rome is playing children. They'll run around on the steps and "accidentally" bump into people. They're fully trained by their parents/handlers and will pick a pocket or get into a purse in a heartbeat. We sat at a small outdoor restaurant at the top of the Stairs two years ago and watched them work. Our waiter actually pointed them out and explained how they work. The restaurant had called the police and indeed they showed up and ran the kids off but the waiter said typically the kids would be back as soon as the police left. Apparently the police not only have trouble catching the kids because they're so fast but also really don't want to arrest kids and the parents/handlers are not directly involved so hard to charge them.

I am going to appoint myself to a major post too--since the Prime Minister of Canada is taken I will have to give it a think.

Hubs and I bought Scottevests for our Baltic cruise. We felt pretty secure with them in all the ports we visited and it was nice for me not to have to tote a purse around. The only problem was remembering which pockets we'd packed things in for the first couple of days.

This post is a reminder to stay vigilant EVERYWHERE: my parents were on the subway in Rome. As they were boarding, my mom sees some woman's hand go into my father's FRONT pocket and pulls out his wallet-- my dad has NO idea this is happening. Similar to the OP, my mom starts screaming-- the lady threw down the wallet and jumped off the train before the doors could close. Last summer when I was in Rome (on a crowded bus),one of the guys on my trip felt hands in his back pocket more than once.

Sad to say, this all is not uncommon-- happens to tourists across the globe-- just be very aware (and for me personally, I will happily hit someone with my cane!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The major diversionary tactic on the Spanish Steps in Rome is playing children. They'll run around on the steps and "accidentally" bump into people. They're fully trained by their parents/handlers and will pick a pocket or get into a purse in a heartbeat. We sat at a small outdoor restaurant at the top of the Stairs two years ago and watched them work. Our waiter actually pointed them out and explained how they work. The restaurant had called the police and indeed they showed up and ran the kids off but the waiter said typically the kids would be back as soon as the police left. Apparently the police not only have trouble catching the kids because they're so fast but also really don't want to arrest kids and the parents/handlers are not directly involved so hard to charge them.

Pickpocketing is a fine art in Europe and children are taught from birth.

Even your lunch in a McDonalds is not safe from them. I was on a bus tour many years ago before I discovered cruising and was grabbing a quick lunch at a McDonalds in Paris. ( I know, , I know, ---but I only had half an hour)

A lady put her lunch down on the table and went to remove her jacket. As she did so, two kids came out of nowhere, grabbed the lunch and ran out the door.

Amazing.

Edited by sapper1

I was walking through a tourist area with a friend when he felt a hand in his pocket. He reached in, grabbed hold of the strange hand, and the stranger twisted it.

My friend sort of heard/felt the bone break in the would-be thief's wrist. :D

I was walking through a tourist area with a friend when he felt a hand in his pocket. He reached in, grabbed hold of the strange hand, and the stranger twisted it.

My friend sort of heard/felt the bone break in the would-be thief's wrist. :D

Is it wrong that I think that's AWESOME???

Is it wrong that I think that's AWESOME???

Not a bit.

What I think is great is the pick-pocket was out of work for a long time while he healed! Think of all the other tourists he didn't rob. (and no workers' comp insurance, either. ;) )

Not a bit.

What I think is great is the pick-pocket was out of work for a long time while he healed! Think of all the other tourists he didn't rob. (and no workers' comp insurance, either. ;) )

LOL! To clarify, in my reference to my carrying a concealed hat pin earlier, I am talking about a pin *****, not a laceration. The idea is to throw the would-be thug off guard from his or her mission, which is to separate you from your belongings. Young and alone female Peace Corps volunteers have done that for years and years.

And yes, the way you dress and appear make you more of a target. Americans in particular are more often targeted. I have 50 some years experience in this on several continents and no where in any country have I been thought to be an American tourist! I have even been asked if I speak English, mistaking me as a local, LOL. Another thing would-be criminals look at is on which hand a woman or man wears their wedding ring. I have often switched my simple gold band to the other hand where it is the custom to wear the wedding ring on the right hand. A wedding band type ring is even useful for a single woman as the deterrent of a possible man around will give pause. I certainly would not wear a lanyard around my neck!

The difference in this trip for us from extensive land travel both DH and I have done, including in Third World countries with me living in one for two years, is that we will be on a cruise for the first time and going inland with other people at the same time. So yes, we will use every caution to avoid looking vulnerable and like a target as well as remaining vigilant.

So now that we know to remain alert at all time regarding pickpockets, do most people use the hotel room safe or what? I've read that some people lock their valuables in their luggage while away from their room.

I wouldn't trust a luggage lock. I use the safe-- yes, the hotel can ultimately get into it but it typically requires a manager and I do read reviews before I book.

So now that we know to remain alert at all time regarding pickpockets, do most people use the hotel room safe or what? I've read that some people lock their valuables in their luggage while away from their room.

We always use the hotel room safe. A suitcase is too portable. If the hotel room doesn't have a safe we use a safe deposit box at the front desk.

Ah, Sapper has prompted a question.

Once upon a time all the HAL ships had safety deposit boxes at the Front Desk.

Does anyone know if they still do? If they do, is it all of the ships, or just the older ones? Are they still available for passenger use? And if so, are they still no charge?

Guess that was more than "a" question after all. ;)

There is nothing new about pickpockets. It has long been a problem throughout much of Western Europe thanks to a large active Roma (gypsy) community. As to where to store valuables, when we travel in Europe (we often do extensive driving trips) we either use our hotel room safe (if it looks secure) or simply put valuables into a hotel safe deposit box (common at most hotels).

But this does not protect you from pickpockets...who target what is on your person. So we follow a few very simple precautions (suggested by a retired Secret Service Agent we met on a River Cruise). For me, I usually carry cash and at least one major credit card....all in a front pocket. I secure the pocket with a large safety pin which is a pretty good deterrent. Most pick pockets will target the easiest target...although there is never a guarantee. That being said, we do not carry things we do not really need. So good jewelry/watches are a no-no. As to DW, she carries her purse cross-shoulder and further secures the purse's zippers with safety pins.

As to Passports, we never carry them unless it is required (it is only the law in a few countries) or we must have them for some defined purpose. Passports are very valuable (worth up to $10,000 on some Black Markets) and we would not normally carry $10,000 in cash....so why a Passport?

The new problem issue (we mentioned this earlier) are Smart Phones. The latest and greatest iPhones and Android (Samsung) phones are worth hundreds of dollars.....so a tempting target for pickpockets. We are starting to protect our phone with similar steps that we use for cash. I love the safety Pin idea (this is the trick we learned from our Secret Service friend). While far from perfect, it does make a pickpocket's life more difficult and they tend to just go after an easier target. So now, we are starting to keep our cell phone in the other front pocket...also secured with a large safety pin.

Hank

We always use the hotel room safe. A suitcase is too portable. If the hotel room doesn't have a safe we use a safe deposit box at the front desk.

When we were on the NA in Dec, 2014 our room safe malfunctioned and would not lock without up to twenty attempts each time. The techs could not get to the root of the issue and at that time the front desk person suggested that we might want to use a safe deposit box at their desk. So at least the NA does have them available.

We declined as we use our safe umpteen times in the run of a day. It was frustrating but we managed to muddle through with the room safe sometimes taking several minutes to stay locked.

Edited to say I quoted and answered Ruth here but The quote function seems to be having a mind of its own.

Edited by sapper1

I too belong to the Safety Pin school of personal property security - baby diaper size - anyone remember those pre-Pampers? I started doing this simply because I did not want to lose items due to my own carelessness - ergo a long strap pinned to a pocket for my camera.

Then a small flat cloth "wallet" pinned to the inside of my waist band - long safety pin allows easy retrieval when I need to use the small amount of cash or credit cards I will carry.

Plus when you get your passport you can also apply for a US photo ID card - does not work exactly like a passport except for Canada and Mexico entries I believe. But the US photo ID will certainly "work" if one needs to validate they area US citizen in case of a lost passport.

Hardest thing I find for travel are women's clothes with enough pocket to make all this work. Slowly converting travel clothes to Scottevest items and cargo pants when I can find them.

Men have it easy, they get lots of good pocket clothing items to choose from. Women, not so much nor particularly flattering or stylish if they do exist. Any hints for this pocketless dilemma?

Edited by OlsSalt

...at that time the front desk person suggested that we might want to use a safe deposit box at their desk. So at least the NA does have them available.

Thanks for that info, Sapper. If the (almost) newest ship in the fleet has safe deposit boxes, then I will guess that the boxes were never removed from the older ships.

I use the cabin safe for such things as my wallet, credit cards, passport, foreign money, but there's no room for my jewelry case. The safe is just too small.

I would rather keep the daytime jewelry in my nightstand, but put the "good stuff" somewhere safer. The safe deposit box will work.