Picture this: St Petersburg pickpockets up their game

OlsSalt

Warning. A long precautionary tale: cut to the chase, it came out okay.

Just back from the 24 day Baltic/Scotland cruise on the Zuiderdam with a tale of caution about the infamous pickpockets in St Petersburg. Took the HAL 2-day small group shore excursion in this city. Guide gave constant warnings about pick-pockets at each stop and noticed even posted pickpocket warning signs in the Peterhof Gardens.

We all secured our wallets, keep a sharp look-out for "suspicious" people lurking in crowds - this time it was mainly attractive, young men who seemed to wander at the edges of crowds. However, in a country with a high level of consumer envy like Russia, the range of preferred objects to purloin went beyond a mere pocket to pick, which would have offered only used Kleenex in my case and triple velcro, zippers and buttons for DH.

However, breaking a cardinal rule was DH's stubborn insistence he would continue to carry his DSLRL camera with its new expensive zoom lens, feeling secure because he used a steel cable neck strap. And here in unfolds the cautionary tale, with some sinister speculation. One is often politely accosted by attractive, young men pestering you outside main tourist spots and shops the tour busses frequent.

They display a sheaf of "prints" overlaid with gaudy gold highlights and are best just ignored as one walks on. But they soon become a common sight at each stop.

(Speculation: could they be an organized gang casing out tourists, noting our bus number tickets and phoning ahead to their fellow gang members with their observations and possibly vulnerable targets, knowing tour operators will likely go to predictable sights in predictable order?)

So finally at the very busy St Isaacs Cathedral stop (the one with the huge golden dome) next to the Hermitage, but taken as our last separate tour stop, it happened. But only after another curious incident when inside the cathedral. I have learned to stand back and observe when DH is concentrating on taking his photos with his (did I mention?) large DSLR reflex camera with the expensive zoom lens.

That is when I noticed a passing group of "tourists" in this crowded venue also going by with one (attractive, young) man staring intently at my husband's camera, instead of the rest of the crowd who were all looking up at the ceiling following that guide's instructions.

Then when it was time to get back on buses tightly parked closed together at this crowded sight, the location of which we had obviously telegraphed with our neon HAL shore excursion stickers, we found yet again several of the now ubiquitous young (attractive, young) "art" sellers - this time on both sides of my husband in this confined parked bus corridor.

That is when I noticed a third (attractive, young) man put both hands on my husband's zoom camera lens. I started yelling - get away from him, get away from him and they scrambled. Back on the bus, DH noticed his zoom lens had been twisted partly open, which required a two-hand operation, which is what this apparent gang of "art sellers" were really after. Shaken a bit naturally, we got away safely that time and that was the last of it.

We foiled the loss, but learned new lessons and relearned the old ones about travel safety. However, also unfortunately developing a fresh paranoia about the web of intrigue a complex tourist city like St Petersburg can provide an enterprising group of (attractive, young) Russian men.

Obvious rules: don't carry an expensive camera with a detachable expensive lens. Check. Attractive, young men selling "art" on the street may not be either. Always observe the crowds around you in large venues for the odd person spending more lime looking at you, and not at the sights.

Watch out when entering confined traffic spaces populated by attractive, young men selling "art". Realize your neon bus tag can set up time and place for a later hit, if indeed we now face a highly organized and mobile gang of St Petersburg pickpockets. Lovely city, should not be missed. But we did teach them entrepreneurial capitalism. They became very good students. Rest of the 24 day tour without threat or incidence.

Alls well that ends well? Not quite. One needs to always stay one step ahead and not forget the collected travel safety warnings that continue to apply whenever out in these settings - don't flaunt it, and always be aware of your surroundings.

And have a Plan B if something does happen. In this case, just yelling did the trick.

Edited by OlsSalt

Thank you OlsSalt for the warning. We have a cruise which includes Rome and Barcelona, both of which are reported to have problems with pickpockets. I have been reading about ways to protect yourself from them, and your post is very helpful.

I was hit by pickpockets in St. Petersburg. I whacked a young man's arm when I felt his finger in my back pocket. (Nothing much was there. I use a money belt.) He looked sheepish and his older "handlers" were scrambling to get on a bus and abandon him. Our hosts in SPB said this is the Russian mafia, and that they're tenacious.

Yes, beware and be vigilant at all times, especially when a person or group create a distraction.

Thanks OlsSalt, we all benefit from reminders such as this. I frequently head ashore with a mounted zoom lens, but I usually walk with one hand holding the lens itself. This is a habit I picked up years ago, when heavier cameras and lenses were the norm, and holding the lens helped stopping the camera from banging on my chest and also allowed me to take a bit of weight off my neck as the day progressed. I never gave it much thought until reading your post, but this habit of holding onto the lens clearly has other benefits too.

I was hit by pickpockets in St. Petersburg. I whacked a young man's arm when I felt his finger in my back pocket. (Nothing much was there. I use a money belt.) He looked sheepish and his older "handlers" were scrambling to get on a bus and abandon him. Our hosts in SPB said this is the Russian mafia, and that they're tenacious.

Yes, beware and be vigilant at all times, especially when a person or group create a distraction.

Sounds like what I dealt with in the Philippines back in the 70's! ;)

Thank you for the reminder! When we were in St. Petersburg a couple years ago a woman in our group was targeted (outside a church too) but her husband saw what was happening and started yelling.

It always pays to keep an eye on each other in these situations. My sister and I stopped pickpockets on a train in Athens, when they targeted my BIL. It was an education in the lengths they will go. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the warning. Have been to St Petersburg a few times. Lovely city. We were when it is Leningrad.

Yes -- have to stay on your toes in Barcelona and Rome.

And Palermo - the bus stop going to Montereale Monestary is also legendary- gangs of young kids who create a blockage getting on the bus that creates an artificial "crowd" and distraction, but only after casing out those waiting for the bus ahead of time.

Ironically, it was the sudden absence of everyone on a street in Antigua that set up another pick-pocket scenario we encountered since this street thug was known and everyone on the previously welcoming busy street instantly disappeared.

And wearing a simple gold neck chain in Cape Town while walking in front of the tax collectors office on a busy street going back to the hotel was enough of an enticement to have it yanked off in a split second.

I agree that pickpockets are a major concern in Europe and that some cities seem to be hot spots.

We used money belts under our clothes to carry our passports, credit cards and the bulk of the cash we took ashore.

My husband uses a nylon wallet with a reinforced belt loop which he loops over his belt and tucks down the front of his pants. This way, even when he removes the wallet to take cash out, it cannot be snatched.

I have a good sized Pacsafe purse that I carry a small amount of cash and the camera in. It is reinforced material that cannot be slashed and the straps cannot be easily cut either. Sort of like seatbelt material. The purse has a locking zipper and the strap can be locked around a table leg or chair rung in a restaurant.

We also carry a small number of lower denomination bills loose in a pocket for incidentals, but only what we could afford to lose.

We have used this arrangement in Barcelona and St Petersburg as well as many other hot spots and it has worked well. In addition to my purse being locked I carry it cross body and always have a hand resting on it. When I want to take pictures my husband stands behind me and watches the purse.

For our trip to the Med in 2011 I bought a very small camera that can be carried almost unnoticed in the palm of the hand so it was easy to slip into the purse.

The inside of the purse has rings attached so I was able to attach the wristlet that I carry my iPhone in to it. I also attached another wristlet that I use as a wallet. Any hand that got by the zipper lock and grabbed the iPhone or wallet wasn't going to get very far with it.

For going ashore I removed all jewellery except my watch so there was little to attract attention.

My husband carries a small reinforced nylon backpack with the opening zipper facing against the body.

Our routine may have been thought out for Europe but we apply it in the Caribbean as well.

So far, so good.

Edited by sapper1

I agree that pickpockets are a major concern in Europe and that some cities seem to be hot spots.

We used money belts under our clothes to carry our passports, credit cards and the bulk of the cash we took ashore.

My husband uses a nylon wallet with a reinforced belt loop which he loops over his belt and tucks down the front of his pants. This way, even when he removes the wallet to take cash out, it cannot be snatched.

I have a good sized Pacsafe purse that I carry a small amount of cash and the camera in. It is reinforced material that cannot be slashed and the straps cannot be easily cut either. Sort of like seatbelt material. The purse has a locking zipper and the strap can be locked around a table leg or chair rung in a restaurant.

We also carry a small number of lower denomination bills loose in a pocket for incidentals, but only what we could afford to lose.

We have used this arrangement in Barcelona and St Petersburg as well as many other hot spots and it has worked well. In addition to my purse being locked I carry it cross body and always have a hand resting on it. When I want to take pictures my husband stands behind me and watches the purse.

For our trip to the Med in 2011 I bought a very small camera that can be carried almost unnoticed in the palm of the hand so it was easy to slip into the purse.

The inside of the purse has rings attached so I was able to attach the wristlet that I carry my iPhone in to it. I also attached another wristlet that I use as a wallet. Any hand that got by the zipper lock and grabbed the iPhone or wallet wasn't going to get very far with it.

For going ashore I removed all jewellery except my watch so there was little to attract attention.

My husband carries a small reinforced nylon backpack with the opening zipper facing against the body.

Our routine may have been thought out for Europe but we apply it in the Caribbean as well.

So far, so good.

Useful info. Thanks!

I would add that I bought a really, really cheap plastic watch for wearing solely ashore.

I feel naked without my rings, etc, but it all comes off and goes into the safe.

Edited by SilvertoGold

In Antwerp train station, just off river cruise with luggage waiting for train to Paris. We were aware! alert! had all 4 of us arrayed around a solid post with suitcases inside our circle. Almost no one in train station that early holiday AM. Local train came in on one of 3 tracks. Young man walked off the local train. Asked one of our group where the stairs were. More people getting off the train and walked to stairs. Just that fast 2 carry-on suitcases disappeared forever. Reported to police --gang work -- 10 to 12 people in cohoots-- plan is the distractor ("stairs please") draws attention, 2 or 3 go behind or through the crowd, reach down and grab handle of suitcase (at least I now keep handle down!), walk right on by without hesitation, pass the bag to another person to take to a stair or exit while taker jumps on another local train. Take off top shirt and stuff in backpack/bag. Go to next station and start over.

6 bags gone that morning according to police. Gang knows where cameras are and they cover face with stylish long hair or have removable wig. THINK OF THE GOOD STUFF YOU KEEP SAFE IN YOUR CARRY-ON!

Darn those thieves are good and they practice all day long. If someone catches them they just say sorry -- I thought that was my bag and walk away. Can't prove any intent. If this stops working they will come up with something else. Low tech but sophisticated.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

I always carry a cheap 'dollar-store' wallet in my back pocket, filled with ID, showing that I'm the Prime Minister of Canada along with a few Monopoly bills.

I could use Canadian bills, but it would probably be found strewn on the street anyways.

Only taken once, but heck, I missed out on the entertainment when I finally noticed that it has been removed .

I always carry a cheap 'dollar-store' wallet in my back pocket, filled with ID, showing that I'm the Prime Minister of Canada along with a few Monopoly bills.

I could use Canadian bills, but it would probably be found strewn on the street anyways.

Only taken once, but heck, I missed out on the entertainment when I finally noticed that it has been removed .

The real fun is when the Prime Minister of Canada refused all the charges.

I have also heard it best to have a "fake" wallet with expired credit cards, etc if face to face robbed. Your use of a decoy wallet for pick-pockets is a good one too.

But the emerging pattern appears to be more likely these moments of instant distraction when a lot of damage can be done; not the old out and out stickups in gin joint and dark alleys. And our tendency to be welcoming and helpful .......

All these shared personal experiences are very helpful to flesh out that overly generic precaution: be aware of your surroundings. Yeah?

The real fun is when the Prime Minister of Canada refused all the charges.

I have also heard it best to have a "fake" wallet with expired credit cards, etc if face to face robbed. Your use of a decoy wallet for pick-pockets is a good one too.

But the emerging pattern appears to be more likely these moments of instant distraction when a lot of damage can be done; not the old out and out stickups in gin joint and dark alleys. And our tendency to be welcoming and helpful .......

All these shared personal experiences are very helpful to flesh out that overly generic precaution: be aware of your surroundings. Yeah?

It's sad that you have to be so careful and can't just relax and enjoy the surroundings. Part of your mind must always be on the lookout for trouble.

I am amazed that the guy tried to take the lens off the camera. That's really bold. I appreciate your husband's desire to have good equipment with him. I would hate to be somewhere that's likely to be a once in a lifetime trip and not be able to take pictures. (Sorry, but I do not accept a phone as a substitute for a proper camera!)

In Antwerp train station, just off river cruise with luggage waiting for train to Paris. We were aware! alert! had all 4 of us arrayed around a solid post with suitcases inside our circle. Almost no one in train station that early holiday AM. Local train came in on one of 3 tracks. Young man walked off the local train. Asked one of our group where the stairs were. More people getting off the train and walked to stairs. Just that fast 2 carry-on suitcases disappeared forever. Reported to police --gang work -- 10 to 12 people in cohoots-- plan is the distractor ("stairs please") draws attention, 2 or 3 go behind or through the crowd, reach down and grab handle of suitcase (at least I now keep handle down!), walk right on by without hesitation, pass the bag to another person to take to a stair or exit while taker jumps on another local train. Take off top shirt and stuff in backpack/bag. Go to next station and start over.

6 bags gone that morning according to police. Gang knows where cameras are and they cover face with stylish long hair or have removable wig. THINK OF THE GOOD STUFF YOU KEEP SAFE IN YOUR CARRY-ON!

Darn those thieves are good and they practice all day long. If someone catches them they just say sorry -- I thought that was my bag and walk away. Can't prove any intent. If this stops working they will come up with something else. Low tech but sophisticated.

WOW - thanks for sharing this one. Too many times we are too trusting when trying to be helpful.

I try to always remain vigilent when traveling - but there are so many interesting and beautiful things to look at.

Having been fortunate enough to travel in many "third world" countries and places. So far so good, but the two times people within my travel group have had pickpocket problems were in Singapore (at the time one of the most crime free tourist places in the world), and Switzerland (another reportedly "safe" place at the time). Both these occurred over 10 years ago.

Singapore - when in a large mall our friend had the back pocket of his slacks cut off. At home he carried his wallet there, but not while traveling. Anyhow, the pocket sort of sagged from the wallet - so pickpockets assumed it was in there. The slacks were ruined, but nothing was taken.

Switzerland (another "safe" place)- pickpocket took things from our friend's jacket pocket - kleenex, a pen and bits of paper. This happened while he was entering a church!

Both of these incidents occurred in places that seemed to be about as safe as you can find.

Yes, some of these petty crooks can be very sophisticated in their team approach. They also often use a y0ung woman carrying a baby wanting help for her baby.

One thing that I have always found that discombobulates them is to rattle at them in a foreign language if someone approaches me with an innocent sounding question. I am fluent in Spanish, but really any gibberish will do! (In Spanish-speaking countries knowing the language is very helpful as they usually assume I don't understand what they are saying to each other.)

Another thing I used to do when living in a Third World country for two years is to carry a hat pin concealed in a hand with the point barely peeking out. One short jab usually does the trick! Crowding is usually a component of an approach.

Women also have to be very careful not to wear hoop earrings or anything else on their ears that can be jerked off, and often very painfully.

I also dress as to blend in with the locals of my same age and don't dress like a tourist!

Another thing I used to do when living in a Third World country for two years is to carry a hat pin concealed in a hand with the point barely peeking out. One short jab usually does the trick! Crowding is usually a component of an approach.

I would not recommend that anyone adopt this practise. You escalate the possibility of losing some money or consumer objects to being seriously injured or killed.

I would not recommend that anyone adopt this practise. You escalate the possibility of losing some money or consumer objects to being seriously injured or killed.

Don't bring a hatpin to a knife fight !!

Edited by TAD2005

Prick a pick-pocket? Could work.

We are talking about causing a counter-distraction, right? Then one could merely claim it was merely a "wardrobe malfunction" if someone got too close and subsequently in harms way. I suspect at worst the piercing yelp would be deterrence enough and not percipitate further reactions. These guys rely on stealth; not escalating public attention.

Edited by OlsSalt

Solid advice! Doing this has the very real possibility to raise a potential property only crime to a whole different level, plus you have no idea who you're dealing with and how many of these low lives there are "assisting" if the victim resists

Rio de Janeiro is infamous for gangs from the "favelas" hovering around and, at times, surrounding prospective victims that they've scoped out. You wear a gold necklace there and they will come up behind you, rip it off your neck and disappear in the crowds.

Let's not forget too that many pickpockets now carry box cutters or sharp knives. While some may still actually pick pockets, they discovered some time ago that cutting the straps of handbags and the like and taking off with the bag (or camera) was far easier. Backpacks became favourite targets for slashing and removing the contents. This is why companies like pacsafe have made a fortune selling bags of every description that have, among other security features, wire running through the straps and slash-proof wire mesh protecting most of the bag.

As TAD2005 so rightly said, "Don't bring a hatpin to a knife fight !!"