Tipping on Celbrity shore Excursions?

sarmeier

I have seen several threads on tipping for guides and drivers while on excursions and/or private tours.

Some people don't tip at all on either. Some tip only on private tours, others tip on both. One tipper announced that he tipped 10% of the cost of the tour.

We tip both the driver and guide on any tour. We don't tip 10%, I think that amount is way too high. We have taken tours that cost $200 pp and that would involve a $40 tip.

I have tipped 10 Euros for a full day tour for the guide and 5 for the driver if the tour was good. If so so, then perhaps less. On one private tour that was 20 hours, I tipped $20.

Your daily tips cover your cabin attendant, waitstaff, and perhaps some "behind the scenes" people...that's all.

If you have an entertaining guide...tip them...doesn't have to be a huge amount. If your excursion is basically transportation, there is no need to tip.

Despite the markup by Celebrity for shore excursions the guide and driver are usually paid very little. It is cheap bordering on insulting not offer a tip to both. We tip $10 PP for a full day tour and $5 PP for a half-day tour to the guide and half that to the driver. The difference between Celebrity's tour pricing and the that offered by local tour firms goes to Celebrity, not the guide or driver.

Please consider how hard these folks work to support their families.

Tip: excursion guide may say it's optional.

Tip sign on bus may be there

Tip is an option never mandatory

At shows on the excursions you also may see signs there as well to tip, like the lunch stops, shows,

One may tip more or less then others, don't judge a tipper because they tipped to high or not at all.

so have some $$$ with you enough to tip a driver a guide and a excursion stop or two.

folding the tip then handing it as a straight Bill is a tip, and handing to each person, not to One.

Say thank you, smile and walk if not tipping.

Despite the markup by Celebrity for shore excursions the guide and driver are usually paid very little. It is cheap bordering on insulting not offer a tip to both. We tip $10 PP for a full day tour and $5 PP for a half-day tour to the guide and half that to the driver. The difference between Celebrity's tour pricing and the that offered by local tour firms goes to Celebrity, not the guide or driver.

We do the same $5pp 1/2 day $10pp full day. I have booked both with the cruise line and private. I have almost always found the Cruise line charges very close to $20.00 more per person for a shore excursions this is well worth it to me and saves me the hassle. Now I do book private if the Cruise line does not have what I want.

I also find it funny almost everyone I see at the port boarding the ship tip the longshore men $2.00 a bag or more......these guys make $35.00 a hours plus benefits. Lines like Holland America have signs all over telling you not to tip them..Then some of you get cheap on tours.:cool:

We will be in Russia for 3 days. On a private tour. The cost is $650 each which includes a train to Moscow from St. Petersburg. The tour company suggests 10% to the guide, 5% for drivers. We will have different guides and drivers in Moscow. How do we tip and how much?

We do the same $5pp 1/2 day $10pp full day. I have booked both with the cruise line and private. I have almost always found the Cruise line charges very close to $20.00 more per person for a shore excursions this is well worth it to me and saves me the hassle. Now I do book private if the Cruise line does not have what I want.

I also find it funny almost everyone I see at the port boarding the ship tip the longshore men $2.00 a bag or more......these guys make $35.00 a hours plus benefits. Lines like Holland America have signs all over telling you not to tip them..Then some of you get cheap on tours.:cool:

We tip the same $5 pp to the guide and $5 to the driver for 1/2 day tour. So far I haven't had any full day tours with Celebrity. I know I could book tours from private vendors and I'm sure they're fine but the thought of something happening and not making it back in time terrifies me! Plus I've never had a bad excursion with Celebrity or with my river cruises. Interesting about the people at the dock taking our bags as we get out of the car and all but begging for tips (Miami)....I didn't see any signs that said not to tip them and it never occurred to me not to tip them.....being from NY I'm used to tipping everyone anyway. :D

We will be in Russia for 3 days. On a private tour. The cost is $650 each which includes a train to Moscow from St. Petersburg. The tour company suggests 10% to the guide, 5% for drivers. We will have different guides and drivers in Moscow. How do we tip and how much?

Having been to Russia on a land tour and river cruise, we came to appreciate our program managers. I don't think we tipped 10% for the guide, that seems a bit high to me, but if the service is great, it is your choice.

And passengers don't? I believe tipping has gotten out of hand and it seems everyone has their hand out if you're an American tourist. They do not expect it from other cultures.

Edited by cruzsnooze

10% for 650 is crazy if you ask me.

Rome In Limo used to suggest 10-20% but since has removed that line from their website.

No European is going to tip that much on a 500-600 dollars tour.

After much reading on here and trip advisor, I'm going to go with $20 for a full day and $5 for a private guide in museums.

Edited by LzyCruiser_NWA

And passengers don't? I believe tipping has gotten out of hand and it seems everyone has their hand out if you're an American tourist. They do not expect it from other cultures.

We have been to Europe many times. The old days of the Ugly American are gone. Well to people who rely on tips anyway. I am usually over generous back home. I see a waiter and I see my kids, who worked hard through school, working for tips. I always figure, what's an extra dollar or so. Though not as generous in American terms when overseas, I tend to leave too much. At restaurants I see people from other countries, Asia, Australia, leaving change or nothing. It's a cultural thing. On the ship, in specialty restaurants, 18% is already built in. So why am I leaving another $10.? Guilt? Or a reward for making my day better?

10% for 650 is crazy if you ask me.

Rome In Limo used to suggest 10-20% but since has removed that line from their website.

No European is going to tip that much on a 500-600 dollars tour.

After much reading on here and trip advisor, I'm going to go with $20 for a full day and $5 for a private guide in museums.

The tour is 3 days, so using your guidelines $60 is right. My question is, train tickets are part of the price, so are 3 lunches and admissions, what part of the tour is the tour price.

The tour is $650 a person, we are two people.

Totally depends on where you are! Believe it or not - but there are countries where people doesn't depend on tips to survive and don't expect it.... ;) And don't feel bad about not tipping in these places! Of course you can leave some extra if you think the work done was something extraordinary. But otherwise? No....

If the tour is just for the two of you I think what the tour company suggests is about right. This is how I would tip if at home so I follow the same rules when traveling. How you split this up between multi guides and drivers? Not sure just do what you feel like! As others say some people tip nothing at all.

The tour is 3 days, so using your guidelines $60 is right. My question is, train tickets are part of the price, so are 3 lunches and admissions, what part of the tour is the tour price.

Try these to get an idea of the train cost, not sure if they are updated...

URL="http://waytorussia.net/Transport/Timetables/MoscowPetersburg.html"]trains[/url]

http://www.palytra.com/en/train_tickets/train_tickets_in_russia_price_russian_railway_railroad/train_tickets_st.petersburg_moscow_st.petersburg_train_prices_timetable

The cost of the lunch, train, admissions does not matter. The tour price is the tour price, do not tip at lunch, do not tip the train and do not tip anyone at admissions. If I can afford $1,300 for a tour I can afford a $195.00 tip.

Edited by southernbreezes
left off a phrase

Totally depends on where you are! Believe it or not - but there are countries where people doesn't depend on tips to survive and don't expect it.... ;) And don't feel bad about not tipping in these places! Of course you can leave some extra if you think the work done was something extraordinary. But otherwise? No....

In some countries some people in certain jobs (in the entertainment / leisure / tourism industry) will be offended if you try tip them.

In some countries some people in certain jobs (in the entertainment / leisure / tourism industry) will be offended if you try tip them.

That is definitely true in Japan.

No tipping is the rule in Australia. I thought that this was the rule in Denmark and failed to tip an excellent tour guide. He seemed a bit surprised we didn't tip. Later, I learned the no tip in Denmark is not the case.

That is definitely true in Japan.

No tipping is the rule in Australia. I thought that this was the rule in Denmark and failed to tip an excellent tour guide. He seemed a bit surprised we didn't tip. Later, I learned the no tip in Denmark is not the case.

Tipping isn't expected there but they won't get offended. I suppose he had gotten used to Americans that always tip...