What will Princess do?

Perhaps we need ships that fold down (some ships have/ had fold down parts) so that they can fit under the bridge..

Hmmmmm ....yes Mick..... I think living in Canberra has rubbed off on you:D:D:D:D

Although you are correct, but I think the cost to retro fit such "bits" would be way to restrictive. I know they have retracting funnels on the Oasis class ships (mega bucks) so that they can fit under the bridge when they leave the shipyard where they were built and is a one off event but are not used again

Edited by gbenjo

I see that as a Big Ticket issue gbenjo, all ships that can't get to white bay, opt can't handle them all. What do they do?

will they maintain white bay if fewer and fewer ships can use it.

RCCL were muttering about relocating to Woollongong, with just scenic cruising of Sydney Harbour.

There was also some muttering going on about the Navy relocating to Newcastle which would free up Garden Island for use as a cruise terminal, and they could probably fit 2-3 ships around that if designed properly. However I wouldn't hold your breath on that one, the way things move around Sydney it would take them until the 22nd century to implement it. :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm ....yes Mick..... I think living in Canberra has rubbed off on you:D:D:D:D

Although you are correct, but I think the cost to retro fit such "bits" would be way to restrictive. I know they have retracting funnels on the Oasis class ships (mega bucks) so that they can fit under the bridge when they leave the shipyard where they were built and is a one off event but are not used again

I was thinking more of the masts, antennae and such. I remember being on a ship that had that for getting under some bridges like the Lions Gate bridge in Vancouver.

RCCL were muttering about relocating to Woollongong, with just scenic cruising of Sydney Harbour.

There was also some muttering going on about the Navy relocating to Newcastle which would free up Garden Island for use as a cruise terminal, and they could probably fit 2-3 ships around that if designed properly. However I wouldn't hold your breath on that one, the way things move around Sydney it would take them until the 22nd century to implement it. :rolleyes:

Either would be a good plan although I prefer the second option. There was also talk about Botany bay being utilised, closer to the airport and still relatively close to the CBD.

Either would be a good plan although I prefer the second option. There was also talk about Botany bay being utilised, closer to the airport and still relatively close to the CBD.

I think Garden Island would be a perfect option, especially if they do their planning properly and run a regular ferry shuttle around to Circular Quay. Itrwould be harder to put in any other form of public transport, other than buses, but they might be able to extend the light rail around to there - if they ever get that finished that is. However given their proactiveness at providing public transport to White Bay I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening either.:rolleyes:

Will never ever venture out in school holidays again no matter what size the ship and will stick with mainly Australian passengers. At least we know how to queue.

Once bitten, twice shy. We felt that way after we did two TAs on MSC ships. They were beautiful spotless ships, with good food and great entertainment, but I wouldn't want to cruise with them again, unless they cruised from Australia/NZ.

The Australian cruise season is too short and there are too few ships, based in Australia full time, for the government to invest in expensive infrastructure, in Sydney.

Maybe the cruiselines will think outside the box and extend their cruising season, with their bigger ships, when the OPT is underutilised.

The Australian cruise season is too short and there are too few ships, based in Australia full time, for the government to invest in expensive infrastructure, in Sydney.

Maybe the cruiselines will think outside the box and extend their cruising season, with their bigger ships, when the OPT is underutilised.

Or even throw some of their own money into the pot.

Once bitten, twice shy. We felt that way after we did two TAs on MSC ships. They were beautiful spotless ships, with good food and great entertainment, but I wouldn't want to cruise with them again, unless they cruised from Australia/NZ.

MSC are advertising heavily for Aussies as well. We have been sent a huge brochure, some great fly cruise deals in it.