New salad bar format: what is your favorite combo?

OlsSalt

Do they have small cups for dressing on the side?

We were on the Osterdam in Feb. this year and had the new salad bar set up with the "new" larger salad bowls....of which I am not fond of. They are too large for a small side salad which I usually like with my main course for lunch. I had to make sure I told the server how much quantity of items I wanted because the first time I ended up with a salad that filed the full bowl and was way too much. Make sure you tell them that you want a small salad. They also tend to toss the salad after the dressing is placed on it which I don't like.

Here is a picture of the salad bowl and dressing on the side....:eek: :D They did provide smaller containers for dressing on the side after showing the Lido manager this picture and having a good laugh over it. After getting the "system" down with how the servers made the salads I was pleased with salads and they were very good.

DSCN7221.jpg

Edited by rajkr74

I absolutely LOVED the salads and had one every day in May on the NA. Had all the lettuces/spinach, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, corn, peas, carrots, hard-boiled eggs with blue cheese dressing (which I never have because it's so calorie laden). On the last day there was even seared tuna, OMG! I can hardly wait to get back on that ship!

I am seriously missing the salads I had almost daily on our 14 day cruise on the Rottterdam!! Mixed greens/spinach/shredded carrots/broccoli/mushrooms/tomatoes/hardboiledeggs/anchovies and blue cheese crumbles!! Wish I could have one made for me everyday!!!

(and I lost 5 pounds on the cruise---lots of daily walking on board and in ports!)

Salad Days Suggestions: a running tally from other posters here

1. Mixed greens/spinach/shredded carrots/broccoli/mushrooms/tomatoes/hardboiledeggs/anchovies and blue cheese crumbles!!

2. All the lettuces/spinach, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, corn, peas, carrots, hard-boiled eggs with blue cheese dressing (which I never have because it's so calorie laden). On the last day there was even seared tuna

3. All three types of greens, red peppers, broccoli, carrots, Parmasen cheese, olives with Asian dressing.

4. My favorite is a classic Chef's Salad

5. Spinach leaves, cucumbers, sprouts, tomatoes, ham, peppers, carrots, and lots of toppings

6. Green leaves, cucumber, peppers, mandarins and feta topped with a sprinkling of seeds

Edited by OlsSalt

Is there a list of what items are available, or does it change every day?

I agree that the bowl in the photo is way too huge for a side salad. I'd consider just getting a main course salad if they had the toppings I like. I have a favorite salad at a local restaurant that I'd eat for lunch if I could duplicate it on board.

Is there a list of what items are available, or does it change every day?

I agree that the bowl in the photo is way too huge for a side salad. I'd consider just getting a main course salad if they had the toppings I like. I have a favorite salad at a local restaurant that I'd eat for lunch if I could duplicate it on board.

It can change day to day, but even more, from cruise to cruise. My favorite lunch is a big salad and a whole wheat roll. Our last cruise (Veendam) was one of the best for salad bars, but there have been some cruises that failed dismally for selection and quality.

I would add to my earlier choices: sliced beets, peas and corn. These aren't always available, but they were on that cruise. :D

We were on the Westerdam cruise right before Kazu's.

Most dressings were still in bottles that you poured onto your salad yourself.

Even though I told the worker that I wanted a SMALL salad -- just a little of this and that -- it was still way too large.

It was the same offerings everyday.

Gone from the salad bar is the baby corn.

Here is a link to my Nieuw Amsterdam photo review of the Lido Restaurant - click on the #2 tab at the bottom to see photos of the Salad Station:

https://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-nieuw-amsterdam-on-board-images/nieuw-amsterdam-dining-2/nieuw-amsterdam-dining-lido-market/nggallery/page/2

The items available were the same every day. After the selection of the greens, your choice of dressing was applied and tossed. Other items were added after the dressing was applied. I did not see any cups for dressing-on-the-side but it is certain that a request could be accommodated.

IMG_0430-Large.jpg

Thank you, Crew News! I hadn't seen those photos on your site yet. It appears, looking at the photos, that they sometimes have items not on the list, such as broccoli and cucumber, and a few things I couldn't identify.

I have trouble understanding the difficulty in getting a simple salad plate of the following items:

Tuna salad

Egg Salad

Pasta salad

Potato salad

On recent 47 day cruise, Egg salad was offered only on a soggy bread sandwich ditto for Tuna salad.

Am I the only one who misses HAL's made to order sandwich bar ?

Trying the current premade sandwiches is often like day old Subway sandwiches.

Oh ! if you want to just add some onions to your sandwich, do NOT jump the salad line or try to help yourself. The serving staff will loudly tell you to get in

the line of 10 people in front of you

Just an itch I had to scratch !

Just to add to the salad bar options - they also had bottles of oil and bottles of vinegar (plain red wine and balsamic) to mix for a dressing - would add the amount you specified. It really is a made-to-order deal - you just have to specify SMALL amounts or you get a meal sized salad instead of a side salad.

My go-to lunch was a small salad and then a stop at the Asian station for some stir-fry and rice or noodles. The stir-fry varied every day - Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc. and usually offered a chicken, beef, or shrimp variation. Delish!

I have trouble understanding the difficulty in getting a simple salad plate of the following items:

Tuna salad

Egg Salad

Pasta salad

Potato salad

On recent 47 day cruise, Egg salad was offered only on a soggy bread sandwich ditto for Tuna salad.

Trying the current premade sandwiches is often like day old Subway sandwiches.

Oh ! if you want to just add some onions to your sandwich, do NOT jump the salad line or try to help yourself. The serving staff will loudly tell you to get in

the line of 10 people in front of you

Just an itch I had to scratch !

We also miss the made-to-order sandwich bar.

DH tried the pre-made sandwiches on the Eurodam and the Westerdam.

You are correct -- they are too soggy. And he doesn't like mayo and mustard on everything.

Not by a long shot.

If HAL can have four people putting together made-to-order salads, it would seem they could take a couple of those people and continue with made-to-order sandwiches.

All good suggestion to put on the post-cruise evaluations. I too miss the marinated/mayonaised meat options they used to have at the salad bar.

However, HAL now has to respond to far more dietary specialty demands too so they are spread thin. Their sushi offerings are far more extensive now too and those are additionally very labor intensive. (Though not much better)

Work in progress but I still believe they are in the business of keeping their customers happy. Plenty probably asked for more "healthy" or speciality diet specific options, so they responded to that.

Now let's hear it for those who still love things slopped in a lot of mayonnaise like pasta, tuna, egg or chicken salads. (Eeek - fat!)

BTW: Zuiderdam (Vista ship) continues to have some of the best croissants anywhere. Not so much on the R and S ships, but the Vista ships must have special ovens to get them so wonderfully crisp-crunchy on the outside and sweet-tender on the inside. It also appeared one could "make their own" sandwiches at least with fresh rolls, sliced breads, cold cuts, cheese, condiments and a short trip to the salad bar. But alas, none of the above meat-mayonaise stuffings.

Edited by OlsSalt

This January/February on 47 day cruise, picked up a slice of Pizza on the Maasdam (had decent pizza on Volendam and Prisendam in 2015) One bite and I tasted this very different funky taste and an orange color to the top.

I went to the station and asked what kind of cheese was used. Reply : Cheddar Cheese Yipes ! I asked if he could make a pizza with traditional Italian cheeses. The cook said that's the Head Chef ordered him to use Cheddar, no deviations.

Interestingly enough, on the Volendam and Prisendam, there always seem to be people waiting in line to snatch up a piece as the pizza came out of the oven.

Observing the Pizza Station on the Maasdam, there never was a line.

On the positive side, I enjoyed the Asian Food Station offerings on all these ships

This January/February on 47 day cruise, picked up a slice of Pizza on the Maasdam (had decent pizza on Volendam and Prisendam in 2015) One bite and I tasted this very different funky taste and an orange color to the top.

I went to the station and asked what kind of cheese was used. Reply : Cheddar Cheese Yipes ! I asked if he could make a pizza with traditional Italian cheeses. The cook said that's the Head Chef ordered him to use Cheddar, no deviations.

Interestingly enough, on the Volendam and Prisendam, there always seem to be people waiting in line to snatch up a piece as the pizza came out of the oven.

Observing the Pizza Station on the Maasdam, there never was a line.

On the positive side, I enjoyed the Asian Food Station offerings on all these ships

Had to laugh. We had the same neon orange cheddar cheese pizza on the recent Zuiderdam - once one accepted this was cheese toast and not traditional Italian mozzarella pizza, it was still pretty tasty. And the crust itself was the best on HAL ships so far. Tante vero.

In fact my last day which I use to shamelessly indulge in everything I had two pizza slices and some Dive-in Fries for lunch. After my powder sugar donut, crepe and croissant breakfast. ((!)