Alaska Land Tour Luggage

vclaes

Do I understand correctly that I cannot take a carry-on sized suitcase on the land portion of our Alaska tour/cruise? I have been told by a Princess representative that only a soft sided 17x14x4 inch duffel bag is allowed and that all other luggage will be taken directly to the ship. We leave in three days. I appreciate any information from previous travelers.

We went two years ago, we were allowed one carry on size case each, and we each had a small back pack,(medication, camera, tablet, etc) . The carry on went under the bus with us, and our backpack went on the bus with us. The carry on case was small rolling case , not hard side. Our other cases were taken and met us at the ship later after the land tour. Unless it has changed, call princess to be sure. We toured first then cruised. It was a wonderful trip, you will really enjoy it.

Cori

We were told the same thing. You could have bag that is 17x14x4 that is accessible to you on the train/bus. Here you would keep medicines, valuables, etc.

You can also have a suitcase that will go in the under the bus/train storage area. It will be delivered to your room when you reach the lodge/hotel. Any other bags are send to the ship if the cruise is after the land or to your final stop.

Do I understand correctly that I cannot take a carry-on sized suitcase on the land portion of our Alaska tour/cruise? I have been told by a Princess representative that only a soft sided 17x14x4 inch duffel bag is allowed and that all other luggage will be taken directly to the ship. We leave in three days. I appreciate any information from previous travelers.

Not exactly. Think of it as 3 options for luggage.

1) Suitcase(s) that are tagged to go directly to ship. You won't see these again till you get to your cabin.

2) Suitcase(s) that are tagged to go on the land tour. You'll see these at each hotel on your land portion. These are typically transported in a cargo van, rather than on the train.

3) Small bag that you will carry on the train. Limited in size due to space constraints on the train (no overhead compartments)

Not exactly. Think of it as 3 options for luggage.

1) Suitcase(s) that are tagged to go directly to ship. You won't see these again till you get to your cabin.

2) Suitcase(s) that are tagged to go on the land tour. You'll see these at each hotel on your land portion. These are typically transported in a cargo van, rather than on the train.

3) Small bag that you will carry on the train. Limited in size due to space constraints on the train (no overhead compartments)

The above is the correct answer.

We will have one larger bag with our shipboard clothing that gets tagged to meet us on the ship. Princess will store it for us and it will be there when we board after our land tour.

We will each have an "airline carry on" sized bag that will get tagged to meet us in the lodge and will be trucked from lodge to lodge.

We will each have a small bag - I have a day pack I use onshore - with valuables that will fit under our seat on a bus or train. These will contain meds, passports, good watch, camera, etc.

See Post # 1 of THIS THREAD for pictures of the luggage tags and a description of how this works.

Edited by Thrak

Usually your "travel with" suitcase gets to your room before you do. Seating on the train is four person booths, with only the space under your seat for your carry on. Tiny, and the table support gets in the way of sticking your bag there. You have about as much space as a king pillow for each pair of people.

Our train had just setting topside had bus style setting with no tables. All seats faced forward. The dining section was on the first floor which is where all the tables, set up for eatng, were at. There were no outlets to charge any electronic gear so make sure all are fully charged before you depart. Several passangers were suprised that there was no charging capability for a 9 hour train ride.

OK, I am now confused. I have a week in Seattle before my land and sea cruise. So I need a fair amount of luggage. I had planned to bring 2- 28 inch bags and my back pack. 1 28 inch bag would go to the cruise boat. 1- 28 inch bag would be transported from lodge to lodge and then I could just carry my backpack each day with essentials. Will this be a good plan? Going in July and this is my first cruise and it will be with Princess!!:)

Edited by Gardengirls12020

OK, I am now confused. I have a week in Seattle before my land and sea cruise. So I need a fair amount of luggage. I had planned to bring 2- 28 inch bags and my back pack. 1 28 inch bag would go to the cruise boat. 1- 28 inch bag would be transported from lodge to lodge and then I could just carry my backpack each day with essentials. Will this be a good plan? Going in July and this is my first cruise and it will be with Princess!!:)

Just as you have stated...all sounds good. :D

What if you do the cruise first? Do the big bags follow you around to each lodge?

You can have one big bag follow you to each lodge.

The other(s) will meet you at the end of the land tour at your last hotel/lodge.

You can have one big bag follow you to each lodge.

The other(s) will meet you at the end of the land tour at your last hotel/lodge.

I guess we will not be sending anything ahead as we will only have one bag each for the trip.

We too were a bit confused before our Alaska trip. Just wanted to clarify a small point: the suitcase that follows you on the land tour does not have to be a "carry on" size. They encourage you to take on the bus/train with you small backpack sized bags. The other suitcase will travel (as mentioned above) and meet you at the next stop. We each checked two average sized suitcases, one for the cruise and one for the land tour. Emphasis as above, there is very limited room, esp on the train to Whittier, so take only what you absolutely need or just valuables. Also, I would do anything to avoid that train ride again, was 9 hrs of misery, stuck in a booth-like setting, no leg/foot room and people up standing in the aisles, no place to really walk around and stretch. I noticed that you did have the option of taking a motor coach to meet the ship.

We're planning another Alaska land/cruise next year and given a choice will take the motor coach.

Edited by JoRoy218

I guess we will not be sending anything ahead as we will only have one bag each for the trip.

We didn't have anything sent to the ship on our trip. We eaxh had one large suitcase and one carry-on plus a backpack. The two suitcases were sent however they send luggage around for the land portion and met us at our rooms eaxh time. Our carry-ons went in the hold of the bus we were on or under the seat on the train and backpack went onboard bus and train with us. Backpack had snacks, book, water, meds, headphones, things of that nature. Carry-ons had valuables, extra meds, change of clothes, small toiletries. And suitcases had everything else. Worked just fine. Our carry-ons would have easily fit the overhead space on the bus but we didn't really need them with us that close.

n the train for us, between Talkeetna and Denali, our two small carry-ons plus backpack fit just fine under our 4-person table, and space for the tommorher two folks stuff too. Our carry-ons are small though. We were given the option to put them in the holding space if we wanted or they didn't fit, no problem at all, stacked them one on top of the other and backpack up next to them. Took up less than all the space under one seat. No probs. Luggage was always delivered very promptly, we received someone else's bag once, just called reception and they got it right away. Very seamless process.

We did the 6 night Off the Beaten Path tour and had a great time!

Regarding luggage, it is as everyone else has stated. I guess we lucked out in that our train from Denali to Whittier was made up of 1 Alaska railroad car in first place, followed by 8 Princess cars. We were seated in the Alaska car which had 2 pair of seats facing forward with lots of leg room and a foot rest and reclining seats. It had plenty of space for our carry on bags. There was a restaurant downstairs that served excellent food - we had both breakfast and lunch on board. They also had a bar in the rear of our car.

We did walk all the way to back of the train through all the Princess cars and I would have to say I was not impressed. As stated, the seating is bench seats with a table in the middle for 4 people and it looked cramped. As we were walking through the cars, they were very crowded with lots of people standing up. The cars also smelled of everyone's food since you ate at the table you sat at - I don't think there was a dining room on the first floor at all.

The train portion was the highlight of the entire trip for me. It was relaxed, elegant and had great views. I loved that you were checked in on the train and just had to go through security before getting on the ship. It was rather cool and drizzly but that's Alaska in the summer! Overall we had an excellent time and all the land arrangements were handled seamlessly by Princess - no problems at all.

Doug

We also had one large bag each, but for the land part we put what was only needed on the ship (formal night outfits for example) in one of the large suitcases and had that one meet us later.

We put what we needed on the land part in a single suitcase. It was easier to deal with one suitcase (unpacking, packing, storing) at each lodge instead of two.

Regarding luggage, it is as everyone else has stated. I guess we lucked out in that our train from Denali to Whittier was made up of 1 Alaska railroad car in first place, followed by 8 Princess cars. We were seated in the Alaska car which had 2 pair of seats facing forward with lots of leg room and a foot rest and reclining seats. It had plenty of space for our carry on bags. There was a restaurant downstairs that served excellent food - we had both breakfast and lunch on board. They also had a bar in the rear of our car.

The train portion was the highlight of the entire trip for me. It was relaxed, elegant and had great views. I loved that you were checked in on the train and just had to go through security before getting on the ship. It was rather cool and drizzly but that's Alaska in the summer! Overall we had an excellent time and all the land arrangements were handled seamlessly by Princess - no problems at all.

Doug

How or what did you do to get on the Alaska RR Car? That is the one I would like too. Did you have everything through Princess?

Your help is appreciated.

Sandra

I'm with Sandra! If I travelled again to Whittier via rail, I would most definitely want that first car. Why can't they have all RR cars instead of that ridiculous booth set up? Do you have to be suite passengers or Elite? Thanks for any info.

How or what did you do to get on the Alaska RR Car? That is the one I would like too. Did you have everything through Princess?

Your help is appreciated.

Sandra

We booked the entire trip through Princess. We were told they needed an additional car and leased/rented it from the Alaska RR as they do from time to time. We just happened to be assigned to it. We were told by the car attendants that if an Alaska RR car is used, it is always immediately behind the engine(s). Our ticket showed 'Goldstar' for the car name (the Princess cars have names) and it turned out to be the Alaska RR car. We were booked in an ocean view cabin so it doesn't appear to be based on the more you pay the better the rail car. They don't always use an Alaska RR car - only if they need additional space.

Doug