ID Documents

july2012

SO I'm taking passports, my DL and my son's Temp driver permit ID. I'm making copies to leave at home with hubby. I'm taking copies with me on the cruise.

What do you take off the ship at Port other than Sign and Sail card? Do you leave passports in cabin, take ID's?

Just wondering,,,,

SO I'm taking passports, my DL and my son's Temp driver permit ID. I'm making copies to leave at home with hubby. I'm taking copies with me on the cruise.

What do you take off the ship at Port other than Sign and Sail card? Do you leave passports in cabin, take ID's?

Just wondering,,,,

I tend to take my passport, I also have copies on my phone. But one just needs a government issued photo ID (I'm sometimes tempted to use my County's senior park permit) and S&S card to get through port security.

Once inside the secure port area, you just need your S&S card to re-board the ship.

Edited by evandbob

I always leave the passports in the cabin safe. I take with me my sign and sail card and a photo ID. Most ports you will not need an ID to get on or off, there have been a couple that they require an ID to get into the port area but it has been a while since i have been asked for that.

I always leave the passports in the cabin safe. I take with me my sign and sail card and a photo ID. Most ports you will not need an ID to get on or off, there have been a couple that they require an ID to get into the port area but it has been a while since i have been asked for that.

If the cruise stops at Cozumel you will need both a photo ID and Sail and Sign card to get past the Mexican Security guards to enter the port area. We leave the Passports in the safe, but take copies ashore, along with drivers licenses and Sail and Sign cards.

Is there an inherent danger to taking passports off the ship?

I know this is probably a newbie thing but can you get passports stamped at all these ports? (Well, more specifically, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman)

I am a newbie both to cruising and to having a passport (actually, applied a month ago so haven't gotten them yet) and I don't care if it's a newbie thing - I wanna do it if I can lol. :)

You are going to get a variety of answers. There really isn't a right or wrong answer. Many people prefer to leave their passports on board. Always stating Carnival will obtain them if you miss the ship.

We prefer to keep our passports on our person. I think this comes from hubby traveling the world for work to some very interesting places.

As to getting them stamped, go for it. We avoid "souvenir" stamps as it is now costly to get new pages added to your passport. Yes, he has had to do that twice.

Regarding a photo ID to return to the ship: Many ports do required photo ID. Listen for the announcements when debarking a port. Crew repeat it over and over. If they say you need it you better have it.

My husband and I take our passports with us when visiting ports. No way am I going to step foot on foreign soil without it. Too many things can happen these days. And I am not willing to take the chance that Carnival personnel are going to retrieve it from our room safe and leave it at the dock should we happen to miss the ship.

On a side note, we were never asked to show a photo ID either getting off or getting back on the ship on our cruise last fall that went to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. When getting off in Cozumel I only had to let a dog sniff my bag. No one asked to see an ID.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by bakersdozen12

On a side note, we were never asked to show a photo ID either getting off or getting back on the ship on our cruise last fall that went to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. When getting off in Cozumel I only had to let a dog sniff my bag. No one asked to see an ID.

I don't deny your experience but we did have to show a photo ID in December in Cozumel. However we didn't in February of 2015.

Your post just goes to show that things can and do change and folks need to be aware of what is being announced when getting off in port.

Been to Cozumel five times. Have never been asked for or showed anything other than my Seapass card. Guess it just depends on what mood they are in on any given day. Always smart to carry photo ID though.

Edited by ryano

Just wondering,,,,

This is one of those questions where everyone will have a different answer since it comes down to what one is comfortable with. Some prefer to leave passports on the ship, reasoning that the risk of loss or theft is greater than any benefit of carrying it. Some will prefer to carry it with them at all times just in case they miss the ship. We will likely leave ours aboard and just take our drivers licenses ashore with the sign and sail.

We've actually had to show ID getting off the ship once. Took a wrong turn and ended up walking off on the crew gangway.

Onshore only once or twice have we not been asked for ID. Some ports we've been asked twice.

Last year in May we had to show photo ID and sign and sail card to get back on the pier in Roatan, Honduras. It was the local authorities doing it not Carnival. We normally take DL and S+S card into port with us but it really is just personal preference.

If the cruise stops at Cozumel you will need both a photo ID and Sail and Sign card to get past the Mexican Security guards to enter the port area. We leave the Passports in the safe, but take copies ashore, along with drivers licenses and Sail and Sign cards.

We do the same. :)

As a side note to having the photo ID - on the last few cruises if I charged T-shirts at ports (like Harley, Hard Rock, or Piranha Joe's) they've required a photo ID. I used my driver's license.

Ahhh ... the passport question ... To leave or to take?

So many opinions. Mine is this: I NEVER step on foreign soil without ORIGINAL proof of USA citizenship. You CANNOT use a paper copy of a document to enter the country so people that think all they need is a copy are mistaken.

I safeguard my passport just like I safeguard my S&S card, my credit cards, and my cell phone.

I paid all that money for the passport, I will USE it for it's intended purpose, which is proof of being American while visiting other countries.

You would never hear a European tour company advise you to leave your passport in a hotel safe while travelling, I'm puzzled why so many people think it's "ok" to leave this document on the ship.....

But again, we all have our opinions :)

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

So many opinions. Mine is this: I NEVER step on foreign soil without ORIGINAL proof of USA citizenship. You CANNOT use a paper copy of a document to enter the country so people that think all they need is a copy are mistaken.

I safeguard my passport just like I safeguard my S&S card, my credit cards, and my cell phone.

I paid all that money for the passport, I will USE it for it's intended purpose, which is proof of being American while visiting other countries.

You would never hear a European tour company advise you to leave your passport in a hotel safe while travelling, I'm puzzled why so many people think it's "ok" to leave this document on the ship.....

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Apparently the cruise lines have not gotten your memo.

Thousands of passengers sail the Caribbean, visit ports and take excursions every year with only their birth certificates and a photo ID.

And in the Med cruise ships routinely collect and hold passports on certain itineraries, issuing 'Landing Cards' to passengers for their day in port.

If your son is under 18 and his father is not going, check paperwork requirements. Last cruise a grandmother was taking daughter and 2 teenage grandchildren on trip. They could not board ship. Something about taking children out of country without dad's permission.

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

Not heckling, serious question: Have you ever traveled in Europe? Do you know what happens to your passport there?

Here's a hint: you don't keep it with you until you change where you are sleeping. I am sleeping on the ship, therefore my passport stays there.

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

They think it's okay to leave it on the ship because they feel that the risk of them needing it is less than the risk of losing it or having it stolen and if they do end up needing it then the ship will likely leave it with the port agent.

I have a foreign country 8 miles from my front door and have no qualms at all with visiting said country without my passport.

Is there an inherent danger to taking passports off the ship?

No, I always carry mine.

I know this is probably a newbie thing but can you get passports stamped at all these ports? (Well, more specifically, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman)

Most ports it's an extreme hassle to get stamps. It's something not required, and so they don't have people around to do it. You have to seek them out, and wait.

I am a newbie both to cruising and to having a passport (actually, applied a month ago so haven't gotten them yet) and I don't care if it's a newbie thing - I wanna do it if I can lol. :)

Crossing boarders in a car, bus, or ship it is not normal to get passports stamped. (except transatlantic). Another example is going to a place like Europe, and if you visit several countries on a road trip. You only get the entrance stamp at the airport, and the exit stamp at the airport. The countries in between you do not get a stamp.

Crossing boarders in a car, bus, or ship it is not normal to get passports stamped. (except transatlantic). Another example is going to a place like Europe, and if you visit several countries on a road trip. You only get the entrance stamp at the airport, and the exit stamp at the airport. The countries in between you do not get a stamp.

So I should probably not worry too much about that then. Might be worth it still to get stamped in Hell though. I'd wait and search for an agent for that lol.

And then again if I ever get to go to Scotland.

thanks, y'all!