Freestyle becoming not so "free"?

taszmom

I remember when NCL came up with the Freestyle concept. My DH loved the idea of going to dinner at whatever time we wanted to and not having to dress for formal night. With our upcoming Escape cruise, my TA suggested, and from what I have been reading here on CC, we should make reservations in advance for dinner and entertainment BEFORE we even get on the ship. It seems like this defeats point of being flexible and free while on vacation. I don't want to pre-plan every night in advance, just not my style. We like to be more flexible. We like to see what's on the MDR menu for dinner and then decide where to eat that night. Same with the entertainment. So if we don't pre-plan in advance does that mean we are going to miss out on having dinner in some of the restaurants or missing the entertainment we want to see? Are there any others out there that just like to "wing it" with success? :D

You can still "wing it" without a reservation. The CC members here may be more likely to make a reservation but the majority of passengers go without reservations.

Well that makes me feel better. I was stressing out about having to pre-plan everything or miss out. When I go on vacation, I don't want a schedule. Thanks! :D

If you are sticking to the main dining rooms, it's not necessary. There is sometimes a brief wait, but nothing major. I was told that we would not need a reservation for a party of 4. I think it might be different if you are a party of 10, but for 2-6 people I would not bother with reservations except at the specialty restaurants.

Well that makes me feel better. I was stressing out about having to pre-plan everything or miss out. When I go on vacation, I don't want a schedule. Thanks! :D

When we did the Escape, we did book things like the Supper Club show and Million Dollar Quartet in the theatre in advance. But, the word is that you can line up "stand by" for the theatre shows, and the Comedy Shows in Headliners and usually get seated @ 10 or 15 min before show time. We booked a comedy show day of on the ship. I know when we were in the theatre, there were many, many, empty seats. We also booked some dinner reservations around the booked shows.

We kept open a few nights just to play it by ear for either dining or entertainment or both. So much of the entertainment is just walk in, like Howl at the Moon, or the various entertainment in the bars, or Atrium area goings on.

You may still have options for same day dining choices, but you may find they are limited. On Breakaway a few weeks ago my parents tried to add reservations on day 2 and were told many restaurants were booked all week except for 9:00 and later. You can likely get into shows through the standby line, but it is not guaranteed. So if there is a place you really want to eat or a show you really want to see, I would reserve it as soon as you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember when NCL came up with the Freestyle concept. My DH loved the idea of going to dinner at whatever time we wanted to and not having to dress for formal night. With our upcoming Escape cruise, my TA suggested, and from what I have been reading here on CC, we should make reservations in advance for dinner and entertainment BEFORE we even get on the ship. It seems like this defeats point of being flexible and free while on vacation. I don't want to pre-plan every night in advance, just not my style. We like to be more flexible. We like to see what's on the MDR menu for dinner and then decide where to eat that night. Same with the entertainment. So if we don't pre-plan in advance does that mean we are going to miss out on having dinner in some of the restaurants or missing the entertainment we want to see? Are there any others out there that just like to "wing it" with success? :D

That's exactly how I feel about it too. While it may be true that you can get by without reservations, and while it's true that there is still plenty of free dining and entertainment, it does seem like the new emphasis on reserving things is a lot less laid back and not as "Freestyle" as before.

Many of these changes have come about since our last cruise on NCL, and we're headed out on the Escape next Saturday, so it will be interesting to see if the changes really have made difference.

Well said and a good point. I do look at excursions before I sail. But I don't want to plan dinner or schedule shows before I get on board. It takes the whole being free and relaxed feeling away

Agree!! On our last NCL cruise we missed most shows because we didn't pre-book. We like to eat at Le Bistro a few times, and like you, we check the menu in the MDR first. Needless to say, we weren't able to eat there on our last cruise:(. I understand that if people are making reservations and not showing up, they are being charged now, as that was a lot of the problem. I think it helps that they aren't giving away as many free dining packages, too!

Why not just book anything important to you (specialty restaurant and shows) then move things around once on board? That way you can weigh out your options but still know you are doing everything you want. Just be sure to cancel anything you are not attending in advance so others can benefit.

I would say, book important dinner reservations on port days, if eating within a prime time slot is a must - especially if there's a show or another event to attend, or you don't want to miss out. This is especially true for specialty (but we typically only do LeBistro 1X or 2X during a cruise, in the old days with the much longer & varied menu choices :D ... and, nowadays, to take advantage of DW & my comp'd Platinum dining certificate with a bottle of wine)

Sometimes, we just rather "wing" it and go when we feel like eating, there's also casual dining at O'Sheehans (as Blue Lagoon fade into history, largely ... even with the Dawn converting) and there's always the Garden Cafe (buffet is our last resort/fall back - especially if coming back late from ashore, etc.)

Shows are great, especially if it's a ship that you haven't sailed on - otherwise, not important ... saying, when you've been on the same ship 2X or 3X and seen it already. Getting there early for those poolside, top deck & atrium lobby shows/events for open seating, or just stand back & enjoy.

With a la carte specialty dining, there's no longer a need to prepaid and there is no penalty (at least on the Breakaway) for no-shows and to call ahead to cancel or be assessed a charge ... it's a "bad" loophole & holding up empty tables & chairs for at least 15 minutes longer than necessary, before they are released for last minute walk-up ... if they are even taking or accepting "stand-bys". Previously (2014 & 2015) - the "open air" space outside LeBistro was seldom used for dining, maybe 2 or 3 tables - last month, it was fully utilized - large group of 8 to 10 seated ... maybe, more folks with the assorted dining packages, prompting NCL to re-direct their wait team assignments.

On sea days where all 2,750+ to 4,750+ are onboard and not going anywhere else at meal times, we've seen longer lines at lunch for the MDR, not surprisingly - and that's always been the case as no reservations are taken & they are only open for 90 minutes.

Shanghai Noodles as an example, when it was "free" - the place was practically empty every night and since going free, it's almost full everytime we looked and/or walked by (in many cases ... just "playing" nearby) - a contrast between free style & fee-style.

My advice, go with Celebrity. No reservations except for specialty restaurants. That's the only reservation you make. Everything else you just freestyle.

But only if they would sail in the Caribbean in the summer, I would definitely do Celebrity!:D:)

That's exactly how I feel about it too. While it may be true that you can get by without reservations, and while it's true that there is still plenty of free dining and entertainment, it does seem like the new emphasis on reserving things is a lot less laid back and not as "Freestyle" as before.

Many of these changes have come about since our last cruise on NCL, and we're headed out on the Escape next Saturday, so it will be interesting to see if the changes really have made difference.

Please post when you get back and let me know how it went! Thanks!

My advice, go with Celebrity. No reservations except for specialty restaurants. That's the only reservation you make. Everything else you just freestyle.

Celebrity has given up on the two seatings nightly in the MDR? No formal nights? No assigned tables? Because if not, that's not Freestyle.

Celebrity has given up on the two seatings nightly in the MDR? No formal nights? No assigned tables? Because if not, that's not Freestyle.
You are correct, Celebrity is not freestyle in any way shape or form. Freestyle is eat when you want, where you want and with whom you want. On Celebrity (unless you choose select dining), you are assigned one of the two seatings, at a assigned table with the same folks every night. BTW, they dropped the formal nights, they are now called Evening Chic, which includes everything from tuxes and gowns to jeans. Edited by NLH Arizona

But only if they would sail in the Caribbean in the summer, I would definitely do Celebrity!:D:)

The freestyle section of dining on Celebrity Equinox was awful. Packed liked sardines and felt totally rushed. Finally moved to a set seating which was a little better but didn't like having to commit to a set time. Like NCL MUCH better. We would usually go to play cards and send someone to see what time we could get into Taste or Savor and they gave us a beeper so we'd play cards till it was time to go. Not a long wait.

You sound like us. We had a the free dining plan on our GEM cruise last October, and were prompted to make reservations "at least 90 days out" to make sure we had space in the specialties. Everyone on board had the dining plan! At least that's what a lot of people here on CC said.

For us, at least, that wasn't the case. We did have reservations because we wanted to try the specialties we hadn't tried before. But after a few days we completely winged it. Cancelled all of our reservations.

On the Epic about two years ago we had reservations for Blue Man Group. DW wasn't feeling well so we walked up the next night, and they let us in. Then they let us in two nights later as a walk up. There is no reserved seating in the theater (except for suite guests), so you get seats up high in the back ... but that works for us. Easier to make a quick escape if the show isn't to our liking.

We will not make reservations in the future because Freestyle to us should be more unstructured. We don't care if we eat a snack at 6 and a full dinner at 9 ... we are on vacation. Or eat dinner at 5:30 and then a snack before bedtime. We are on vacation. Or miss this show but see a great musician in a lounge. We are on vacation.

We don't care if we eat a snack at 6 and a full dinner at 9 ... we are on vacation. Or eat dinner at 5:30 and then a snack before bedtime. We are on vacation. Or miss this show but see a great musician in a lounge. We are on vacation.

Love your attitude! We have ended up making reservations because we don't want to "miss out" but your philosophy sounds so much better. I think we will make reservations for the dinners we really want and just wing the rest. Thank you for putting it into perspective. :)

You are correct, Celebrity is not freestyle in any way shape or form. Freestyle is eat when you want, where you want and with whom you want. On Celebrity (unless you choose select dining), you are assigned one of the two seatings, at a assigned table with the same folks every night. BTW, they dropped the formal nights, they are now called Evening Chic, which includes everything from tuxes and gowns to jeans.

Not "... in any way shape or form."? Dining when and how and with whom you want sure is "freestyle" in several ways; which is precisely what Celebrity offers.

NCL does not offer the option of an assigned table at an assigned time in a main dining room. To the extent that is an option one might want, their "Freestyle" really isn't all that freestyle --- it is simply NCL style.

Just back from a Med cruise on the Epic. Didn't want the "special" restaurants so can't comment on that. Entertainment was a problem because the touch screens invariably showed house full for the premium shows. We soon learned that the answer was to just turn up in case of no shows. HOWEVER, that didn't necessarily solve the problems as some acts weren't scheduled for the second half of a seven day cruise. That said we were quite happy with what we got in the various bars. Hey, we're not paying extra for the shows so just go with the flow.