Bedbugs on Constellation

cruzin.cat

Never had encounters with bedbugs before this cruise. If you Google bedbugs on ships, there are lots of reports. I am familiar with most kind of bites having travelled lots and also having lived on a farm, mine were definitely bedbugs having gotten them each night and the way they were in a line, synonymous with bedbugs. I cannot believe I didn't think of anything quite that simple otherwise I would have reported them onboard. Was thinking more outside the box.

In the medical world we refer to this as breakfast lunch and dinner.

Sorry this happened to you.

• 1 month later...

To OP, I certainly believe you, we were on Eclipse in August and we suffered bed bugs. All of bedding changed, mattresses exchanged and settee swapped. The buggars were coming from mattress stored under settee and in carpet. All 4 of us had bites :mad:

Bed bugs are extremely easy to get with any kind of travel, even having guests staying at your home. There is a very easy way to protect yourself from them though.

Buy a few cans of Bedlam one big and one or two travel size.

3 days before you leave spray your luggage down heavily, inside, outside, and all the pockets.

Let air out for a day or so before you pack.

Before bringing your luggage into a hotel room or ship cabin spray the room. Lift the mattress and spray underneath, spray the base boards, in all the drawers, and behind the bed.

Now bring your luggage in and spray lightly again, and leave the room for a little bit to air out.

Come back to cabin unpack and enjoy your bedbug free cruise/vacation.

Spray luggage again before traveling home.

Bed bug fumigations cost a lot more than termite fumes and you will also have to fumigation your car if you bring them there. Everyone at work will be upset if some get in your purse or are in your clothes and latch on to your coworkers too.

My dad has been in pest control for years and former two term president Florida Pest Control Association. He has instilled this into me and I've never gotten bed bugs. He deals with people every day who has gotten them from flying, hotels, cruise or just staying at a family members house.

Hope this can help someone on a future cruise.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

To OP, I certainly believe you, we were on Eclipse in August and we suffered bed bugs. All of bedding changed, mattresses exchanged and settee swapped. The buggars were coming from mattress stored under settee and in carpet. All 4 of us had bites :mad:

What did they do about the carpet? They also can hide in the walls and venture out at night. An infestation needs more treatment than removing mattresses and sofas.

In answer to the the question, we were on the Connie in June this year and experienced no problems with bed bugs or other bites. No other passengers mentioned the problem to us, but that doesn't mean that no one was affected, or infected, for that matter.

Tom, I am very sorry to hear this. How awful!! What room were you in?

Marie

What did they do about the carpet? They also can hide in the walls and venture out at night. An infestation needs more treatment than removing mattresses and sofas.
They also hide in electronics: TV, Clock, etc. I have heard that for some reason they do not like the bathroom. Is that true??

I have heard a good way to check for them is to use a hair dryer on high heat on the mattress and in drawers. The heat fakes them into coming out. Hard to do if the dryer is attached to the wall and cruise lines will not let you bring your own.

Edited by Lazz

Unsure where you have this information from :confused:? You can bring your hairdryers on X ships.

My mistake. I always thought cruise lines did not allow you to bring some small electric devices on board (fans, hair dryers, extension cords, etc). You can tell I have not been on a cruise in a while.

Back on topic. I was told to check all paper products in the room like books, note paper, etc. Bedbugs love to hide in them.

Bed bugs are extremely easy to get with any kind of travel, even having guests staying at your home. There is a very easy way to protect yourself from them though.

3 days before you leave spray your luggage down heavily, inside, outside, and all the pockets.

Before bringing your luggage into a hotel room or ship cabin spray the room. Lift the mattress and spray underneath, spray the base boards, in all the drawers, and behind the bed.

Now bring your luggage in and spray lightly again, and leave the room for a little bit to air out.

Bed bug fumigations cost a lot more than termite fumes and you will also have to fumigation your car if you bring them there. Everyone at work will be upset if some get in your purse or are in your clothes and latch on to your coworkers too.

My dad has been in pest control for years and former two term president Florida Pest Control Association. He has instilled this into me and I've never gotten bed bugs. He deals with people every day who has gotten them from flying, hotels, cruise or just staying at a family members house.

Where can one buy Bedlam? Sounds like a plan. I appreciate this info and the info provided by some posters in this thread, especially OP's picture of the bites and the info that bedbug bites appear in a line.

My mistake. I always thought cruise lines did not allow you to bring some small electric devices on board (fans, hair dryers, extension cords, etc). You can tell I have not been on a cruise in a while.

Back on topic. I was told to check all paper products in the room like books, note paper, etc. Bedbugs love to hide in them.

You were correct ....most cruise lines do not allow small appliances.

Is Bedlam a form of insecticide?

While it's OK to do whatever you want with your luggage, if Bedlam is an insecticide why would you spray a mattress that other people will sleep on after you with insecticide, before you even know if there are bedbugs in it?

What if the next person has allergies?

Edited by mafig

Is Bedlam a form of insecticide?

While it's OK to do whatever you want with your luggage, if Bedlam is an insecticide why would you spray a mattress that other people will sleep on after you with insecticide, before you even know if there are bedbugs in it?

What if the next person has allergies?

You spray under the mattress, and behind it. Don't spray your sheets, and even if you did the steward should be changing those out before the next cruiser enters the room anyway.

Where can one buy Bedlam? Sounds like a plan. I appreciate this info and the info provided by some posters in this thread, especially OP's picture of the bites and the info that bedbug bites appear in a line.

You can go buy a can at any local Do It Yourself pest control store, Home Depot/Lowes would have something equivalent, or if you Google it there will be some great options to order online.

It's definitely the best defense against bed bugs while away. It's not 100% protection as they can always get in a purse or something you overlooked, but again it is the best protection.

I wouldn't use it, because my dh had an auto-immune disease two years ago that was "probably" caused by unknown chemical exposure.

Good idea.

I think chemical exposure is more of a problem than we know at the moment. People like your husband are like the 'canary in the coalmine' that gives early warning of problems. Some of us are more susceptible to chemicals than others and it shows up in our systems at an earlier point. I can even have a reaction to spray-on deodorants and hair spray (blood pressure drops, energy levels suddenly drop, I have to lie down). Visitors to my house know to use such things carefully, either outside or with the door shut and the window open. I would hate to be exposed to a recent spraying of insecticide.

Good idea.

I think chemical exposure is more of a problem than we know at the moment. People like your husband are like the 'canary in the coalmine' that gives early warning of problems. Some of us are more susceptible to chemicals than others and it shows up in our systems at an earlier point. I can even have a reaction to spray-on deodorants and hair spray (blood pressure drops, energy levels suddenly drop, I have to lie down). Visitors to my house know to use such things carefully, either outside or with the door shut and the window open. I would hate to be exposed to a recent spraying of insecticide.

So I guess you don't go to restaurants in the states ever since they are required to be sprayed by the health inspector and you just never know what day they were there. What about hotels? They are always being sprayed with spot treatments because fumigating a hotel for bed bugs wouldn't be very effective since anyone can bring them in at any time.

In my description of how to use it I said to leave the room to let it air out. No one wants to breathe it in right after sprayed, but after a few hours the problem should be eradicated and no fumes of insecticides were overly ingested.

You can risk the bed bugs, but I'd much rather not risk being bit all trip, spreading the problem to others on a plane, bringing them home, fumigating my house/car, and possibly bringing some to work/friends after I'm home.

A few minutes of light exposure to an approved insecticide sounds like a much better plan IMO, but to each their own.

• 4 months later...

I'm more concerned with our pre-cruise hotel than our cruise cabin, but thank you for this valuable information.

Edited by galensgrl