Hotel for Late Arrival in Seattle

geoherb

The flight we're taking to Seattle doesn't land until 11:35 p.m. We're getting there two nights before our cruise. I'm thinking that staying at a hotel near the airport with a free shuttle might be the way to go. If we do that, is it better to go ahead and book the same hotel for both nights? I'm not sure if we would want to rent a car for the following day only to do some sightseeing or if we would want to take the shuttle back to the airport to take the light rail into the city. That seems like the cheaper option.

Also, if we stay at an airport hotel for both nights, is a cab from the hotel to the pier the easiest option? Or is it possible to catch the light rail to a closer place and cab it (or Uber it) from there?

The properties that are genuinely close to the airport sound like a good bet in your case. The Hilton and Crowne Plaza in particular have shuttles and are VERY walkable to the light rail stop. There are properties that say they're airport properties and are nowhere near the airport (I'm looking at you, Embassy Suites and Red Lion), so you'd need a shuttle to get back to the airport to catch light rail.

Depending on the sightseeing you want to do, light rail is either super-viable (Pike Place Market, Seattle Center/Space Needle/EMP) or disastrous (Museum of Flight, Ballard Locks), so I don't have a universal answer. One viable option visitors have used is to pick up a car the morning after arrival (five minute ride from the airport terminal), use it for the day and drop it back before retiring for the evening.

If you're comfortable hauling luggage, it is viable to light rail to Westlake Station and Uber from there. It adds about 25 minutes to the total trip time and saves you about $20.

If you are cost conscious, the idea of staying at the airport both nights and taking the light rail to the city is a good idea. Airport hotels are less expensive in peak season than some of the outrageous prices downtown. Hotel construction has not kept pace with the influx of cruise ships so while weekends once were cheap, they no longer are downtown or even in Queen Anne like they used to be.

The light rail drops you off in the downtown core. There are a few stops and everything is walkable downtown. Museum of Flight would be better reached via a city bus directly from the airport than going through downtown if that is on your list. You can also rent a car for the day if you want. Be warned that the fees are like $20 per day to rent from the airport, so if your hotel has an off airport location near by, you can save money.

You didn't tell us which cruise terminal you are going to. One is walkable (a bit long, but doable if you take the monorail or a short taxi for Norwegian ships) while the other is a decent taxi ride away. Taking the light rail downtown would save on taxi costs to get to either cruise terminal.

Also, if we stay at an airport hotel for both nights, is a cab from the hotel to the pier the easiest option? Or is it possible to catch the light rail to a closer place and cab it (or Uber it) from there?

Yes, a cab or towncar or Uber or limo or van arranged by the hotel - something door to door - is much easier than the shuttle + walk + train + cab alternative. It won't be cheaper, but your time and the hassle factor must be worth something.

In Seattle you're supposed to use taxi stands rather than hailing on the street, and at places like Westlake on a weekend morning or noon this can be a major pain. You've had to wrangle your luggage up from the train level, look around for a taxi stand, and then go through the drill of getting into the cab, etc.

Both cruise terminals have luggage storage/concierge services, so if you want to drop off your bags and explore a little before boarding, that's totally doable. It's much easier if you're using Pier 66 than Pier 91 - Pier 66 is walkable from most downtown activities like the Pike Place market, etc., while Pier 91 is in a more remote area from downtown, with a much more limited set of possible walking destinations.

We usually stay at Marriott Springhill Suites near the airport. There's a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and then the hotel arranges a non-stop shuttle from the hotel to the pier for $12-15 per person. I think many of the hotels near the airport have a shuttle service between the hotel and the pier. We only go one night before, get in late, and then go to the pier the next day, so I can't comment on getting to downtown for sightseeing.

Thanks for the responses. I did book the flight this morning. My brother and his wife used to live in Seattle, so we used them as transportation to get to the pier on our other two cruises that left from there. They moved last summer to California.

We're on a Holland America ship, so it will be Pier 91, I believe. I haven't filled in all my online paperwork and read all the details on HAL's website. (I just booked the cruise this week. We'll be there the last week of August.)

Edited by geoherb

Light Rail is easy to use if you want to do some sightseeing downtown .... most of the SeaTac hotels offer free shuttle to/from the airport. Just ask the driver to let you off near the light rail station instead of the airport. I sure wouldn't rent a car for one day. Parking is expensive and traffic is always congested.

On the day of the cruise, uber/lyfft are the cheapest options. If that's not do-able, a flat rate cab (Prius) is $35 to pier 91, and a metered cab will be about $55. Or if you stay at a hotel that partners with Seattle Express, the shuttle service is $15pp.

http://www.flatrateforhire.com

http://www.seattleexpress.com/2901.html

Edited by mapleleaves

I always stay at Seatac, - Holiday Inn, Days Inn, La Quinta, Red Roof, Sleep Inn, Quality Inn are some of the ones I have used. (closed a frequent one I used- Super 8). I've used Shuttle Express when I've sailed out of 91, but use the Light Rail or bus (124), when I sail out of 66. I do pack light, and have no problem with my luggage. The way I always travel. :)

I like the Doubletree at SeaTac. Close and reasonably priced, and the free shuttle runs every 20 minutes. I stayed there a few wks. ago.

Roz

I will arrive very late as well and decided on Homewood Suites by the Airport. They have a shuttle and the stay includes breakfast and dinner (they call it evening social). From the reviews I read, the shuttle will take you to the light rail station as well. I have opted to use the same hotel for all three nights before the cruise. Think about check in/out times. If you book different hotels you will have to check out at around 10am from one hotel but won't be able to check in to the other until much later. You will have to carry your luggage in between.

This will be my first time in this Homewood Suites but had a great experience at the Homewood Suites in Washington DC.

• 2 weeks later...

Our flight brings us into Seattle at 11:30 AM. Our hotel room at the Sleep Inn will not be ready until 3 pm according to the front desk. I asked for early check-in but was told they do not offer that service. Any suggestions as to what we can do with our luggage while we sightsee?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our flight brings us into Seattle at 11:30 AM. Our hotel room at the Sleep Inn will not be ready until 3 pm according to the front desk. I asked for early check-in but was told they do not offer that service. Any suggestions as to what we can do with our luggage while we sightsee?

Call the hotel. Many hotels will hold luggage until checkin. Some will check you in early but you won't be able to get into your room til the afternoon.

When I've arrived early at any hotel, I've always been able to store my luggage until my room was ready. Surely the Sleep Inn will be able to accommodate you.

Roz

Thanks for the responses. I did book the flight this morning. My brother and his wife used to live in Seattle, so we used them as transportation to get to the pier on our other two cruises that left from there. They moved last summer to California.

We're on a Holland America ship, so it will be Pier 91, I believe. I haven't filled in all my online paperwork and read all the details on HAL's website. (I just booked the cruise this week. We'll be there the last week of August.)

There are 3-4 ways to get from SeaTac to Pier 91. I'll go briefly through them here. (Note: Prices stated below are current as of this year (2016.)

1. Seattle Express or Shuttle Express. These are smaller motor coaches that can provide transportation from the airport to the pier. Your luggage will be loaded onto the coach and you will take the bags into the luggage hall or you can get a porter at the pier to take them in for you. If your ship's luggage tags are not attached to your bags, you will need to stop at the clerk's table outside Door #1 to either have tags made or your already printed tags stapled to your bags. Cost for Seattle Express is $12/person and cost for Shuttle Express is $17/person with one free person under 17 for each person over 17. (Website says $22 for Shuttle Express, I was told $17 in an email from them.)

Shuttle Express Info:

http://shuttleexpress.com/seattle/cruise-transfers/

Phone: (425) 981-7000 or (888) 787-8598

Email: sales@shuttleexpress.net

Seattle Express Info: http://www.seattleexpress.com/21501.html or

EMAIL: mattseattleexpress@yahoo.com

CALL: (206) 793-8430

3. Taxicab. Yellow Cab is $40 flat rate from Pier 91 to SeaTac so I'm going to make an assumption that it is the same from SeaTac to Pier 91. Check to make sure about this as I've had reports that some drivers will tell you otherwise. (There is a prominently displayed sign at Pier 91 attesting to this rate.) Note, however, that this rate is valid only between Pier 91 and the airport itself, not to/from any of the hotels in the vicinity of the airport! For other cabs, I don't know the prices. Make sure that you inform the cab driver that you want to go to Pier 91 and not Pier 66 or you may end up at the wrong place. (Not a good way to start our a cruise!!)

Hope this helps.

Tom

I ended up booking the Radisson at the airport through Hotwire. (I could tell what hotel it was through a better bidding website.) I filled out the reservation request form for Seattle Express a few minutes ago. Thanks again for all the responses. Only 43 days to wait.

I ended up booking the Radisson at the airport through Hotwire. (I could tell what hotel it was through a better bidding website.) I filled out the reservation request form for Seattle Express a few minutes ago. Thanks again for all the responses. Only 43 days to wait.

We stayed at the Radisson precruise last month. Excellent location as it is directly across from the terminal. There is also a 13 Coins next door if you want a late night meal before going to bed.

You might also consider that they have their own contracted shuttle to the port for $14 per person that can be reserved through the front desk. They transported us to the port in a nice large SUV.