Shorts or no shorts?

BeachyGurl

Hello fellow cruisers....

I've read conflicting posts on shorts allowed, or not, in the specialty dinning restaurants.

If NCL is "freestyle" doesn't that relate to attire as well?

I would think classy shorts, would suffice with a nice shirt.

Yes? No? or Otherwise.

You'll be fine in shorts. Just make sure you check the daily to make sure you are not wearing them in the couple of restaurants that don't allow them.

Many thanks to all of you who replied. I believe I have a firm handle on appropriate attire for the different dining venues. And will check the dailies for affirmation.

Rest assured that if you see someone in daisy dukes and a crop top in any of the restaurants, it's not me!

Happy Travels!

Many thanks to all of you who replied. I believe I have a firm handle on appropriate attire for the different dining venues. And will check the dailies for affirmation.

Rest assured that if you see someone in daisy dukes and a crop top in any of the restaurants, it's not me!

Happy Travels!

Shorts and Daisy Dukes are different items altogether...........

My Escape cruise in March...people were told to put on pants if they wanted to dine in Lebristo. At Cagneys there were people in shorts. Even though I didn't dine Bayamo, I heard pants had to be worn as well from other CC cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen anyone turned away from the specialties when I've eaten in them, but to be honest, I don't pay attention to what people are wearing.

There is a tendency to equate "Freestyle" with nearly any libertine position taken by anyone, and then declare that you may as well go back to formal nights with tuxedos if someone can't, say, clip their toenails in the dining room. This position is usually taken by someone looking for a reason to not like NCL before they cruise on the line.

You don't have to go that far. Just don't cruise on the line. You don't have to have a reason to not like NCL, you can just not like them. Maybe you don't like consonants and won't go on any line that does not have at least one vowel in their initials. That's fine. No one cares.

Freestyle eliminated the formal dress nights, and introduced true any time dining. That's what the term means. It doesn't mean you can go in without a shirt, or clip your toenails during dinner. It was never intended to be an all-encompassing term that reflected on anything and everything.

This is a great all encompassing answer that offers further explanation in answer to a question. Thank you for taking the time to answer. The comparison you used has been seen in many post across all lines and was taken to mean what the extremes could be and was in no way a reflection on you.

We were on the Escape a month ago and was surprised that many more people dressed beyond shorts in most venues even though shorts were welcome in most venues.

We didn't see any shorts in Le Bistro and it appeared that some people in shorts were turned away while we were hanging out at the center bar. It may have been the shorts/tee combo or no reservations, but regardless just about everyone had long pants.

The Escape had photographers around the ship in the few nights after the Norwegian night out and we did see some jackets and dresses on those nights. Overall it was a little dressier than other NCL cruises we have been on despite shorts being allowed in most venues according to the dailies. Maybe this was due to the newness of the ship or the Miami vibe.

This is a great all encompassing answer that offers further explanation in answer to a question. Thank you for taking the time to answer. The comparison you used has been seen in many post across all lines and was taken to mean what the extremes could be and was in no way a reflection on you.

I respect your stance, but do disagree. I felt I was disrespected and attacked.

fshagan, "There is a tendency to equate "Freestyle" with nearly any libertine position taken by anyone, and then declare that you may as well go back to formal nights with tuxedos if someone can't, say, clip their toenails in the dining room. This position is usually taken by someone looking for a reason to not like NCL before they cruise on the line."

I simply asked about shorts worn in the dining venues. NOT whether tuxedos and toenail clipping is acceptable.

fshagan, "You don't have to go that far. Just don't cruise on the line. You don't have to have a reason to not like NCL, you can just not like them. Maybe you don't like consonants and won't go on any line that does not have at least one vowel in their initials. That's fine. No one cares."

I never stated that I have or have not travelled on NCL. What's the point of this?

And I love consonants!

fshagan, "Freestyle eliminated the formal dress nights, and introduced true any time dining. That's what the term means. It doesn't mean you can go in without a shirt, or clip your toenails during dinner. It was never intended to be an all-encompassing term that reflected on anything and everything."

I simply asked about shorts. Not formal wear or shirts and again, disgusting toenail clipping.

But I guess everyone likes to assume anyone asking a ? on a travel forum is an asinine dumb ass. Soo sad!!

Happy Cruising to all!

Define how short is short ?

Some shorts would embarrass a bikini swim suit !

Then shorts varying all the way from 2 inch hem length to Bermudas to the

extreme length of capris where pants start.

Simply good judgment which the NCL Freestyle allows the envelope to be

pushed to the edge may result in the level of service you receive based on

how you are dressed.

Hidden agenda - feed these rascals fast and move them out of the dining room

as fast as possible -or- slow it down so they won't want to come back again.

I beat NCL at it's game by wearing my summer weight above the knee kilt

with long sleeve poet shirt knee length cable knit sox and loafers. Have not

had any issues at any of the restaurant venues. In one case on the NCL Sun

and dining in the Le Bistro the Matri 'd was impressed enough to comp a

bottle of wine with dinner and wee had a wee conversation of Scotland !

I am not a celebrity but I like to play one pushing the NCL Freestyle dining envelope !

I'd love to have kilts replace shorts in men's attire!

I'm a die hard fan of the book series Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and the Showtime TV series.

Edited by BeachyGurl

that's disgusting. Nailclipping in public is a pet peeve of mine. I take the commuter train into the city for work and you'd be surprised at how many people seem to think this is acceptable behaviour. Pieces of nail flying everywhere. Ugh

i probably would have said to that lady... "this is true. You are on a cruise, but being free to do whatever you want doesn't mean you should lack manners or not obey the rules and customs of society. If you agree that you can do whatever you want, then you should agree that i can do whatever i want, and i am likely going to take your nail clipper and toss it overboard if you keep continuing."

lol!

beachy girl , it is funny to me that you would be offended by the clipping toe nails comments, freestyle does mean you may do what you like, it means you may DINE when you like

I don't think she was offended because toenail clipping in public would be considered by most a social no-no. I believe she was probably offended because she felt it was being insinuated that she was a person who would consider clipping her toenails in a public area. She merely asked about wearing shorts in the dining rooms, and she was responded to with a post about those who "equate "Freestyle" with nearly any libertine position taken by anyone". She never really said anything, IMO, to indicate she was "one of those people".

In fairness, she did ask, "If NCL is freestyle, doesn't that relate to attire as well?". And yes, it certainly does, but it should not be assumed from that question that she feels she should be able to wear a bikini into the MDR. I think the "libertine" poster was responding to that question, but I think he read more into that question than was there. It is pretty obvious from the poster's comments that she will not be clipping toenails on the deck.

Edited by punkincc

It's pretty easy clothing wise really. Bottoms I pack boardshorts (swim days), cargo shorts (all days), and a nice pair of jeans, rips/tears (cool windy nights/some restaurants). Tops I pack T-shirts, polo shirts, and maybe a few button up short sleeve shirts. Footwear I pack flip flops, sneakers, and a pair of nice Rockport shoes. Few hats and visors and the obvious undergarments. With the above you can eat anywhere and do everything on the ship. No need for slacks unless you want your boys to wear them.

In fairness, she did ask, "If NCL is freestyle, doesn't that relate to attire as well?". And yes, it certainly does, but it should not be assumed from that question that she feels she should be able to wear a bikini into the MDR

Whoa careful there, on some days we grab breakfast in the buffet just because we want a small breakfast. I'll never forget the furry man in the banana hammock that graced us with his presence while we were eating. The best part is he wasn't passing through, he was getting a plate of food practically in the nude. :eek::eek:

EDIT: I'm aware you said MDR but just a warning that you see all sorts at the buffet.

Edited by BurtonRiderT6

Whoa careful there, on some days we grab breakfast in the buffet just because we want a small breakfast. I'll never forget the furry man in the banana hammock that graced us with his presence while we were eating. The best part is he wasn't passing through, he was getting a plate of food practically in the nude. :eek::eek:

EDIT: I'm aware you said MDR but just a warning that you see all sorts at the buffet.

The dress code says that shoes and cover ups should be worn in the buffet, so he was definately not "to code". Probably European;). I also love it when the teens come in for breakfast wearing their jammies.

I don't think she was offended because toenail clipping in public would be considered by most a social no-no. I believe she was probably offended because she felt it was being insinuated that she was a person who would consider clipping her toenails in a public area. She merely asked about wearing shorts in the dining rooms, and she was responded to with a post about those who "equate "Freestyle" with nearly any libertine position taken by anyone". She never really said anything, IMO, to indicate she was "one of those people".

In fairness, she did ask, "If NCL is freestyle, doesn't that relate to attire as well?". And yes, it certainly does, but it should not be assumed from that question that she feels she should be able to wear a bikini into the MDR. I think the "libertine" poster was responding to that question, but I think he read more into that question than was there. It is pretty obvious from the poster's comments that she will not be clipping toenails on the deck.

You nailed it punkincc.

Thanks!

Lol!!

No offense intended, BeachyGirl. I won't apologize because I did nothing wrong, but did want you to know my intention was not anything other than discussing what is and is not Freestyle. I did not insult you.

You opened the discussion by challenging us to tell you something ... "If NCL is "freestyle" doesn't that relate to attire as well?" ... when you put a question mark after a sentence it indicates you want a response. You asked a question. I answered.

The environment in this forum is that often people "challenge" NCL's definition of "Freestyle", and as the other poster pointed out, it does indeed extend to those thinking the term means they can do anything they want even extending to clipping their toenails. Real story, real experience.

I did not say, nor intend to imply, that you clip your toenails in public. The phrase was used to show how ridiculous the assertion is that NCL is not (or no longer) "Freestyle" because of ... whatever. Reservations. Can't wear shorts in Le Bistro. Can't clip toe nails in public.

I assumed you intended to discuss the limits of the policy as so many before you have done.

I did not say "You sir...are just gross!". I did not tell you to "Move on in your disgusting toenail life!!" I wouldn't do that. I do not insult people.

Please, God, no. lol

No offense intended, BeachyGirl. I won't apologize because I did nothing wrong, but did want you to know my intention was not anything other than discussing what is and is not Freestyle. I did not insult you.

You opened the discussion by challenging us to tell you something ... "If NCL is "freestyle" doesn't that relate to attire as well?" ... when you put a question mark after a sentence it indicates you want a response. You asked a question. I answered.

The environment in this forum is that often people "challenge" NCL's definition of "Freestyle", and as the other poster pointed out, it does indeed extend to those thinking the term means they can do anything they want even extending to clipping their toenails. Real story, real experience.

I did not say, nor intend to imply, that you clip your toenails in public. The phrase was used to show how ridiculous the assertion is that NCL is not (or no longer) "Freestyle" because of ... whatever. Reservations. Can't wear shorts in Le Bistro. Can't clip toe nails in public.

I assumed you intended to discuss the limits of the policy as so many before you have done.

I did not say "You sir...are just gross!". I did not tell you to "Move on in your disgusting toenail life!!" I wouldn't do that. I do not insult people.

Thank you for clearing this up for me fshagan.

I was not aware of the challenges going on with the meaning of "freestyle" on CC. I simply wanted to know about shorts.

However, I would like to apologize to you for this...

"You sir...are just gross!".

Move on in your disgusting toenail life!"

I'm usually not so offensive to those I've never met.

In my defense I truly felt you thought of me as a plebeian.

I have moved on and I sincerely wish you happy travels!