Luggage Size

I remember it being a good deal larger that the airlines allowable carry-on size.

Perhaps at the Port of Miami it is as it has been some time since we cruised from there. But our experience at most ports is they are very similar to the airport scanners. A lot of small to mid sized carry ons would fit and maybe some soft suiters but I doubt the large suitcases would. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

24 inch should be the size - maybe a tinch more

Agree with this.

Got through FLL port scanner with a 24" hard side recently. Did not scrape the sides, but not a lot of room for error.

So nice to be in the cabin, unpacked, settled, and enjoying a cocktail well before muster.

Since I got this bag, I'm a carry on convert for anything 7 days or less. The new bags are lightweight and so easy to roll.

Can anyone tell me what is the largest size suitcase that will fit thru the carry-on scanner at Port of Miami?

We used to always carry on our middle size bag. It would always go through the scanners and we made sure that it had anything we would need when we boarded and had all of our lotions and potions/makeup/shaving stuff etc. This ended when we were going to do the same thing a few years ago at Cape Liberty Cruise Port where a very not-nice lady told us flatly that we had to check the bag and we did. Ever since then we take only the carry ons that the airlines would allow as carry on.

The mid-size bag will fit through the scanner, however, you may be denied bringing it through. I'm sure that the reasoning is that it is difficult to see everything in a larger bag.

Dee

A little OT, but has anyone ever had a problem with their checked bag being too large, to where they were charged an additional fee?

I treated myself to a new wheelie suit case, and it's large. I Tweeted the airlines about their size restrictions, and it's fine, if I don't count the 4 protruding wheels. I'm tempted to return it for the next smaller size, (I'm pretty efficient now that I used packing cubes), but my husband says I should just wing it and see what happens.

For our next cruise we're flying business class, so we get up to 70 lbs. per bag at no charge, (I think we may even get 2 bags pp, I need to confirm that) but if you go over the size restriction, there's a $200 charge. :eek: Another option I've considered would be getting the next size smaller, and adding another smaller carry on.

It would be just my luck to be all excited about saving the $35 or so that AA charges for bags, and then get charged a $200 oversize bag fee.

A little OT, but has anyone ever had a problem with their checked bag being too large, to where they were charged an additional fee?

I treated myself to a new wheelie suit case, and it's large. I Tweeted the airlines about their size restrictions, and it's fine, if I don't count the 4 protruding wheels. I'm tempted to return it for the next smaller size, (I'm pretty efficient now that I used packing cubes), but my husband says I should just wing it and see what happens.

For our next cruise we're flying business class, so we get up to 70 lbs. per bag at no charge, (I think we may even get 2 bags pp, I need to confirm that) but if you go over the size restriction, there's a $200 charge. :eek: Another option I've considered would be getting the next size smaller, and adding another smaller carry on.

It would be just my luck to be all excited about saving the $35 or so that AA charges for bags, and then get charged a $200 oversize bag fee.

We have given up on our large bags because they can easily go over even 70lbs. We stick with the bags that are around 26 inches but even those are very easy to go over the standard 50 lbs, especially when using packing cubes.

The airlines can be pretty strict about the 50 lb. limit and I would expect will charge if you are in fact at 70 lbs. The cruise lines, however, do not charge for size or weight.

Just remember that if you take your full size luggage with you, you have it with you until the cabins are ready. You can't put it in your cabin before the cabins officially open up. On the Enchantment last May, the cabins opened at 1:30. I watched one family become extremely unhappy when they found out they couldn't just drop off all their luggage and the luggage was about to become part of their first meal onboard ship.

Just remember that if you take your full size luggage with you, you have it with you until the cabins are ready. You can't put it in your cabin before the cabins officially open up. On the Enchantment last May, the cabins opened at 1:30. I watched one family become extremely unhappy when they found out they couldn't just drop off all their luggage and the luggage was about to become part of their first meal onboard ship.

We have been on many cruises. We always carry-on instead of checking luggage with a porter. Just wanting a larger bag this time.

The airlines can be pretty strict about the 50 lb. limit and I would expect will charge if you are in fact at 70 lbs. The cruise lines, however, do not charge for size or weight.

She said she is flying Business Class where 70 pounds is acceptable. I know Delta allows two bags per person - not sure about American though.

She said she is flying Business Class where 70 pounds is acceptable. I know Delta allows two bags per person - not sure about American though.

I read the post and realize that but was responding to the first line in their response asking about being charged for oversized bags and also as a general comment about airlines watching the weight restrictions closely for those who would be charged. The comment about business class was later in their post as to how that would not be a concern for them.

We have seen many people (ourselves included) repacking from one suitcase to another or to a carry on to avoid the charge because they were a few pounds over the 50lb. limit. :o

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Is there a restriction to what can be in the carry-on at the port?

The prohibited items list applies equally to carry-on and checked bags. In other words, it's not like an airline where you cannot have excessive liquids in the carry-on.

Edited by clarea