Fort Lauderdale Arrival

We are arriving in Fort Lauderdale at the end of our cruise let's say 10am off the boat. Flight is at 7. Can we check our bags at the airport early? Can we use a hotel not meant for hookers for a few hours?

What are our options?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't know about the hotel , but there is a place at the airport for you to leave your bags for a few hours or so. I don't remember the cost, but we left them and then took an uber to the beach area and back.

What we have done several times is take a taxi (Uber) with your luggage to the Hilton Marina on 17th Street. The Bellman will watch your luggage. You can hang at the pool (great Tiki Bar) catch the water taxi for a cruise on the water way. It has a stop right there. Great place for lunch is Boatyard just west of the Hilton Marina. Taxi (Uber to the airport. We will be doing the same after our Divina cruise in October. Did it in January and then again in April. Beats hanging all day at the airport :D:D

What we have done several times is take a taxi (Uber) with your luggage to the Hilton Marina on 17th Street. The Bellman will watch your luggage. You can hang at the pool (great Tiki Bar) catch the water taxi for a cruise on the water way. It has a stop right there. Great place for lunch is Boatyard just west of the Hilton Marina. Taxi (Uber to the airport. We will be doing the same after our Divina cruise in October. Did it in January and then again in April. Beats hanging all day at the airport :D:D

How much do they charge for you to use their amenities?

You may want to check the Florida Departures forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I know that Southwest has a 4 hour limit for baggage check, other airlines may also have limits.

Southwest has 2 limits at Fort Lauderdale to manage traffic.

Less than 2 hours you may check at the normal ticket counter.

Between 2 and 4 hours you have to go to the baggage desk on the lower level.

Greater than 4 hours they don't allow you to check at all.

I am A+ preferred and I still have to follow these rules.

Most of the beach hotels will allow you to valet your bags at their bell desk and use their facilities for a fee. If you use a hotel pre cruise, I have found many of them allow you to spend time post cruise at their pool and lobby for no fee or very reduced fee and tips for the bellmen.

We are arriving in Fort Lauderdale at the end of our cruise let's say 10am off the boat. Flight is at 7. Can we check our bags at the airport early? Can we use a hotel not meant for hookers for a few hours?

What are our options?

Why not take a ship excursion. I have taken two different ones from Fort Lauderdale. The bus will hold your luggage while you are on the tour and get you to the airport sometime between 1 & 2 pm.

1) To the everglades ...

D11-1.jpg

D11-5.jpg

DSC_0495_zpsd98305db.jpg

2) Ft. Lauderdale water ways ...

Spielberg's yacht ...

DSC_1759_zpsbce8c0e5.jpg

DSC_1880_zps60db4aa1.jpg

DSC_1898_zpsbc37c30f.jpg

Why not take a ship excursion. I have taken two different ones from Fort Lauderdale. The bus will hold your luggage while you are on the tour and get you to the airport sometime between 1 & 2 pm.

1) To the everglades ...

D11-1.jpg

D11-5.jpg

DSC_0495_zpsd98305db.jpg

2) Ft. Lauderdale water ways ...

Spielberg's yacht ...

DSC_1759_zpsbce8c0e5.jpg

DSC_1880_zps60db4aa1.jpg

DSC_1898_zpsbc37c30f.jpg

I have always seen the excursions for port but never thought about that. Thank you! I just booked us on the Everglades tour!

What are our options?

RCI has a checked bag option where they will deliver your checked bags to the airline.

From my memory, it is around $20 and they will take your luggage on the last night and they next time you see it will be on the baggage carousel at your destination.

RCI has a checked bag option where they will deliver your checked bags to the airline.

From my memory, it is around $20 and they will take your luggage on the last night and they next time you see it will be on the baggage carousel at your destination.

This is a good idea. Just a note that Southwest has a limit of 6pm for this service out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Edited by clarea

I have always seen the excursions for port but never thought about that. Thank you! I just booked us on the Everglades tour!

I have done it twice (it was different the two times!) and enjoyed it very much.

Be aware that you will STILL get the airport too soon to check in. As Cuizer2 noted, you will get the airport by 1-ish. Your flight is at 7, yes?

I have done it twice (it was different the two times!) and enjoyed it very much.

Be aware that you will STILL get the airport too soon to check in. As Cuizer2 noted, you will get the airport by 1-ish. Your flight is at 7, yes?

My flight is at 9 (just booked changed cause cheaper). But we will go to dinner and then hangout in airport.

Thanks for you're help. Very excited

Southwest has 2 limits at Fort Lauderdale to manage traffic.

Less than 2 hours you may check at the normal ticket counter.

Between 2 and 4 hours you have to go to the baggage desk on the lower level.

Greater than 4 hours they don't allow you to check at all.

I am A+ preferred and I still have to follow these rules.

Most of the beach hotels will allow you to valet your bags at their bell desk and use their facilities for a fee. If you use a hotel pre cruise, I have found many of them allow you to spend time post cruise at their pool and lobby for no fee or very reduced fee and tips for the bellmen.

I've checked in many times 4 hrs at the desk inside.

Last time FLL had a four hour limit before your flight that you could check in your luggage

When we were there last, they also limited when we could go through security. I forget if it was 2 or 3 hours before the flight.

My flight is at 9 (just booked changed cause cheaper). But we will go to dinner and then hangout in airport.

Thanks for you're help. Very excited

Are you flying Southwest? If not, as others have mentioned, Luggage Valet will be your best option even if you're taking a ship excursion.

Luggage Valet

This is a good idea. Just a note that Southwest has a limit of 6pm for this service out of Ft. Lauderdale.

On the sheet we filled out it was actually much later. Thought it was midnight. I was 6:45 so know it's later than 6. I can't tell you how great this option was.

On the sheet we filled out it was actually much later. Thought it was midnight. I was 6:45 so know it's later than 6. I can't tell you how great this option was.

The sheet must have changed since April, because it mentions 6pm on the scans linked by this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=50043947#post50043947

Edited by clarea

Are you flying Southwest? If not, as others have mentioned, Luggage Valet will be your best option even if you're taking a ship excursion.

Luggage Valet

I'm a little confused now. I am flying Southwest at 5:45 pm after an Allure cruise. I was planning on using the luggage service and sightseeing in Fort Lauderdale. Am I going to be able to use this service if my flight is 8 hours after I get off of the ship or is the 4 hour rule on Southwest going to prevent this?