Main Dining Room Attire

I've tried looking on here for the answer, but can't seem to find.

I've found on the RCI website the dining room attire, but I didn't know how flexible it was. On other lines, my husband will wear nice shorts and a long sleeved button up with boat shoes. Of course, this isn't for formal nights. Would that fly on Royal?

Thanks!

They ask for no shorts in the dining room in the evening. However, they seem less and less likely to enforce it, so feel free to ignore their request. You won't be the only ones.

Edited by clarea

I've tried looking on here for the answer, but can't seem to find.

I've found on the RCI website the dining room attire, but I didn't know how flexible it was. On other lines, my husband will wear nice shorts and a long sleeved button up with boat shoes. Of course, this isn't for formal nights. Would that fly on Royal?

Thanks!

They "prefer" no shorts.. Polo shirts and docker pants would be a good alternative

On our Allure cruise a few weeks ago there was a guy sitting at the next table who was wearing a Harley t-shirt with cut off sleeves, jeans, and a bandanna on his head. Nobody said anything. We did look for him again on other nights but never saw him. We always wore at least polo shirts and Dockers type pants with the ladies wearing summer type dresses. On formal night it was suit and tie with ladies in cocktail dresses. Looking nice for dinner on a cruise is part of the experience. Fun for us.

Hello there.

The Dress Code for the Dining Room is as follows:

Smart Casual:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal:

Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional).

Note:

• Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.
  • The dress code above is applicable to children of all ages.

We hope this info helps!

I would say have a pair of jeans or something else packed as well, just in case you get somebody who says something. I personally wear blue jeans and t-shirts on non-formal nights and a polo shirt/khakis on formal nights. When we go on Anthem in August I'll probably do an actual button down for our nights at The Grande, as that seems a bit more formal than even standard formal nights on other ships.

I'm not a formal dresser, and in no way dress to keep the fashion police happy but wearing shorts or even less formal clothes to the MDR or even a speciality restaurant on a cruise ship is a NO NO, except for first and last night. The MDR is looking more like Chilies or Apple bees.

On Allure in April I wore pressed shorts and polo shirts in the dining venues. They don't seem to take a second look. I always pack a pair of black slacks and end up taking them home still in the cleaners bag. Not trying to upset anyone...just enjoy my cruise. I think times are changing,

I think what folks are saying - Basically what I'm reading/hearing is that you can wear anything and RCI won't enforce it. Sad really. If you want to wear shorts, tank tops and flip flops, you can do so because it's your vacation and you paid for it.

I do want to mention that the MDR is fine dining. Would you feel comfortable going to a fancy restaurant in shorts? However you answer that question is your answer.

Edited by Panda3

I do want to mention that the MDR is fine dining. Would you feel comfortable going to a fancy restaurant in shorts? However you answer that question is your answer.

The MDR is not fine dining in any way, shape, or form. Not even CLOSE.

And I live in South Florida, so yeah, I feel very comfortable going to restaurants in shorts. It's very acceptable here. If I am going FURTHER south I would expect to do the same.

Just so you know . . .

There are still some ships that strictly enforce the no shorts rule at dinner.

Shorts were not allowed on our last three Grandeur cruises.

Shorts were not allowed on our final Enchantment out of Baltimore.

It may be because it was the same hotel director for all four of those cruises. Not a complaint about him; I think he is very good at his job.

These were all Caribbean itineraries.

I sailed Explorer out of Cape Liberty 2 1/2 years ago on a Caribbean - no shorts for dinner other than the first night.

These are not opinions on preference; they are the experiences I had.

On my recent Oasis cruise, shorts were allowed on non-formal nights.

I will not be offended in the least to see someone wearing shorts on a Caribbean vacation. I want to be relaxed and comfortable 24/7 which would not include pageant wear. It would be nice however if you smell good:)

Very well-said!

Hello there.

The Dress Code for the Dining Room is as follows:

Smart Casual:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a collared shirt.

Formal:

Ladies: Cocktail dress or pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Suit (black tie is optional).

Note:

• Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants. T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are acceptable for lunch.
  • The dress code above is applicable to children of all ages.

We hope this info helps!

Royal Caribbean doesn't have a dress code. They have suggested attire. There are very few smart casual nights (except for the specialty restaurants which are always suggested as smart casual), but there a lot of casual nights, which you don't address.

And since when is a pantsuit formal attire? I know it's been on the website forever, but really.

OP, the shorts will probably be allowed even though they are forbidden.

Royal Caribbean doesn't have a dress code. They have suggested attire. There are very few smart casual nights (except for the specialty restaurants which are always suggested as smart casual), but there a lot of casual nights, which you don't address.

And since when is a pantsuit formal attire? I know it's been on the website forever, but really.

The post you quoted is from the official RCI account on this site.

On Ovation of the seas, they also included "no ripped jeans" which I found strange. They also strictly enforced no flip flops but seem to let shorts in. As long as it is smart casual attire, it was fine.

On Ovation, it's smart casual in Chic, American Icon Grill and Silk. The Grande is the only formal restaurant. So there is no such 'formal night' at the other 3 restaurants.

Looks like I mistakenly hit a touchy subject. Thanks for everyone's answers. So it sounds like jeans are fine?

My husband wears a shirt and tie to work every single day. I'm not trying to break the "rules" but don't want to make him completely dress up if not necessary.

Thanks again!