NCL is getting fancier but what will NCL do with the bottom of their target group?

The freestyle concept is like the scramble game. Where you walk on the music and try to get a seat when the music stops.

There's is absolutely no problem as long as nobody "panics", in every few round someone might lose and oh well, they will eat at another venue and try their luck next round. But the moment people are making reservations it's all over and it starts a chain reaction.

Back ontopic: lots of interesting posts all, thanks.

It seems the new business, the other cruise line cruiser and the first time cruiser are part of the extra profit NCL is making. And that the older loyalists are indeed replaceable by the current growth?

That could be the case but to me it still doesn't seems logical that there's no action to retain the entry level guests.

MSC might indeed use aggressive fares but don't get them wrong: they are here to stay in the Carib. With lots of newbuilds and especially catering to Americans, besides to their excellent approach to their European home market, with the different experience levels, the Yacht Club, one of the few Haven competitors around.

Even if FDR would manage to get NCL to be a premium mainstream line, where's the own company product to guard the lower levels of the market..?

Even IKEA sells low budget models of their top selling cabinets and furniture to retain customers and to avoid unwanted competition before it can even get a foothold. Airlines with their regional carrier subs, car companies with their compact cars, Apple's iPhone SE model, all examples.

Unless NCL counts on a Carnival on delivering a constant flow of passengers looking for more..

Well if that is your thing then NCL was definitely too casual. Personally some of the nicest people may dress like a slob, or not, and the rudest may dress the nicest, or not. I am personally comfortable in any dress but my hubs is not and I am sure there are many that feel that way. I just don't feel that good dress always classes up the place.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

As I said it was my opinion, and yes people looked horrible. We do not dress like slobs, but it seems to be quite the style on NCL. I was being nice, but obviously you took it a different way. The way people dress has a lot to do with their attitude about themselves

As I said it was my opinion, and yes people looked horrible. We do not dress like slobs, but it seems to be quite the style on NCL. I was being nice, but obviously you took it a different way. The way people dress has a lot to do with their attitude about themselves

I didn't see slobs per se but gym attire was not uncommon. Jeans were as well but it was a cold Alaska cruise. I think it just depends on the individual. Like I commented, my hubs is a jeans and baseball hat guy. And while he is well educated he started out with nothing and just because that is no longer true he doesn't see the point in changing what is comfortable for him or makes him feel phony. He's okay with missing out on things that force him to do that. That obviously isn't for everyone. We chose Norwegian BECAUSE we heard it was more casual. So while it may not be a line for you because of that it definitely fit our niche.

I didn't see slobs per se but gym attire was not uncommon. Jeans were as well but it was a cold Alaska cruise. I think it just depends on the individual. Like I commented, my hubs is a jeans and baseball hat guy. And while he is well educated he started out with nothing and just because that is no longer true he doesn't see the point in changing what is comfortable for him or makes him feel phony. He's okay with missing out on things that force him to do that. That obviously isn't for everyone. We chose Norwegian BECAUSE we heard it was more casual. So while it may not be a line for you because of that it definitely fit our niche.

And that is great. It just wasn't for us

I must dumb bc I'm new to cruising and love NCL. I guess I'm the mark they want bc the vacays are cheaper than my non cruising ones and I go to Vegas and am used to a downmarket clientele and don't care. Sounds like I'm late to what used to be a great party.

You're not. There is just a lot of restlessness and whining in this crowd. While I make a very good living, we enjoy NCL from the cheap seats ha. The promotions have been very good with the free drinks and I don't feel they are a bait and switch at all, $100 in gratuities is nothing. I think NCL is making a lot of good investments in their ships and will continue to do so in the future.

I am their lower dollar market I suppose. We book inside cabins, pickup a specialty dining package, free drink package, and may book one excursion from boat in advance (rest booked privately). We have a lovely time having been on NCL's big and small ships and will take our fourth cruise next Christmas in 2 years. It's great.

I don't ever think...I wish I could have lobster, set dining time, formal wear, and live band/dancing. Some people on here long for those days and they're never coming back. They are in a constant search for something better and want everyone to feel miserable about their upcoming NCL trip in the meantime.

The definition of "slob" varies by region. I have to wonder if you're more of a northeasterner, as dressing up seems to be a thing there (also some in the South). At home. (Tx), at most restaurants, we would not be out of place in jean shorts and tshirts. We tend to wear that kind of thing on cruises also. Most people probably don't guess that I'm a doctor and my husband is an engineer when they see my Harry Potter and his Warcraft tshirt. If we wore that kind of thing in, say, NY or Boston, I bet we'd be called slobs there, too.(lived in both those places, FYI). Can I dress up? Yes, I do it daily. But not on vacation.

I think it certainly rings true to freestyle. I make a reservation for when I want to eat and where I want to eat and with whom I want to eat with. The opposite of freestyle would be, I have to eat at 8:30, at the MDR and with the same people every night, unless I go to the buffet or specialty restaurant and that is what I do when I cruise on Celebrity or Crystal.

Don't know first hand about Crystal but do have knowledge of Celebrity. We have enjoyed select dining on many cruises. Showed up whenever it was convenient for us. Seated immediately. Usually even had same wait staff. Big difference from our Gem cruise. A disaster. Long wait and very difficult service. So that was a one and done with NCL for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

FYI, Celebrity has done away with formal nights (now called evening chic) and has become more casual. Folks are wearing jeans on those nights. Even before the change, on formal nights I've seen men in jeans and shirts with no ties. Many of the cruise lines are becoming more casual.

Don't know first hand about Crystal but do have knowledge of Celebrity. We have enjoyed select dining on many cruises. Showed up whenever it was convenient for us. Seated immediately. Usually even had same wait staff. Big difference from our Gem cruise. A disaster. Long wait and very difficult service. So that was a one and done with NCL for us.

I was speaking only for myself, as I don't do select dining. I've only eaten in the MDR a couple of times on NCL and never waited and I went during prime seating times. I now only eat in the specialty restaurants, make my reservations and I'm eating where I want, when I want and with whom I want...freestyle.

FYI, Celebrity has done away with formal nights (now called evening chic) and has become more casual. Folks are wearing jeans on those nights. Even before the change, on formal nights I've seen men in jeans and shirts with no ties. Many of the cruise lines are becoming more casual.

I think the options are the best. We saw just as many people formally dressed for the other restaurants on the Pearl as we did jeans in the buffet.

I think the options are the best. We saw just as many people formally dressed for the other restaurants on the Pearl as we did jeans in the buffet.

I was surprised that folks dressed up so much on my NCL cruises. I thought it was great to see folks wearing what they felt comfortable in whether it be formal or casual attire and I'm glad that Celebrity is going the same way.

For the majority NCL does not deliver more. It delivers more to the Haven or Suite guests, but other than that, no, it actually in many ways delivers less.

I've sailed both lines, choosing them based on price and itinerary. However, I prefer Carnival as their MDR food, other free dining options and steakhouse are much better tasting and in quality.

Yes, their ships can be more garish sometimes, but, I can live with that as all other areas are more alike than different.

I also don't find any difference in the 'type' of people that sail the lines. I've actually find people more dressed up on Carnival and more bad behaviour / drunks on NCL than Carnival ... so much for stereotypes.

'Free' Drink package, well, maybe, sometimes. Depending on when you want to sail and where, there are some where it's close, but others where the price is much more than the price of a drink package on Carnival. I did find some last minute deals that were cheaper and it was actually shocking how low NCL dropped the price prior to sailing. I almost booked the Gem out of NY in May, but, stuck with my original booked land vacation (booked after the Royal Empress cancellations).

Edited by aztekpm

Same for us. My DH's idea of dressing up is a new Harley Davidson t-shirt.

The definition of "slob" varies by region. I have to wonder if you're more of a northeasterner, as dressing up seems to be a thing there (also some in the South). At home. (Tx), at most restaurants, we would not be out of place in jean shorts and tshirts. We tend to wear that kind of thing on cruises also. Most people probably don't guess that I'm a doctor and my husband is an engineer when they see my Harry Potter and his Warcraft tshirt. If we wore that kind of thing in, say, NY or Boston, I bet we'd be called slobs there, too.(lived in both those places, FYI). Can I dress up? Yes, I do it daily. But not on vacation.

No I live in the NW and we have always made a point to dress nicely. It is a personal preference.

Well this is quickly turning into a dress code thread lol

As far as who NCL is attracting, I think they are luring RCCL away. The perks are good. I think it is ludicrous that people are mad about the included tips.They would not have implemented that unless there was a problem with people not tipping.

That being said, NCL offers comparable product to RCCL. Lots to do for upper middle families and couples. We jumped as diamond from RCCL bc for less money we could have the kids sail free and drinks included. We enjoyed the product. I thought the haven perks were comparable.

NCL is most certainly not a stepping stone to Regent. It as as far from luxury line as I can imagine. But I like the luxury lines... sometimes.. and sometimes I just want a good rock wall, water slide or flow rider:D

So we will try Escape as our third NCL cruise this year and will see where I go next year. Oceania is looking pretty good as I am a foodie but i keep checking MSC.

The challenge I always saw with Freestyle is that many of the specialty restaurants are specifically designed for mostly couples - a lot of two-top tables, but the ship has families (and other larger groups) trying to eat there as well.

CC is full of "We couldn't get a table for our party of 18 within fifteen seconds! What the *&*$# is wrong with NCL? Our vacation is ruined! Never again!"

I used to just think these people were insane, and then I married into an Italian-American family. So, now I know they're insane, and also know they will always travel as a herd, and sitting together is non-negotiable.

So, NCL needs to start scaling all of the facilities to match the customer they are attracting (less two-tops, more eight-tops or larger), or stop attracting large herds (I would personally prefer this).

Also, NCL seems to assume a bit of flexibility on everyone's part, which is apparently a poor expectation once people start spending what they consider substantial money to get onboard. I think this is the real reason FDR would like more affluent customers. If you spent your life's savings on a family cruise, you're going to have expectations that probably will not all be met. Then, you come to CC and complain. Loudly. You also can't afford to try anyone else, so you'll never know the commonalities in the mass market lines. If you can afford to cruise a couple of times a year or more, you're simply on vacation, you can go with the flow, you recognize patterns, and you don't complain as much. You will also learn whom to tip, how to get good service (smiles are returned, frowns are returned, also), and where to go to find out what's busy and what's not.

I would like to find a cruise line where I could eat where I would like, when I would like, and everyone on the ship would understand that sometimes, you might need to just have a drink before dinner in order to get a table. Is that such a hardship?

There are slobs and there are an equal amount of women dressed up who think they look nice, but really look like two-bit whores with their boobs hanging out all over the table. Thankfully, most people are somewhere in between.

I choose to cruise with NCL rather than a upmarket cruise line as at the current time the age demographic and facilities just aren't what I like with the Regent\SS lines. I like water slides, I like a massive choice of bars and most of all I do like a rowdy nightclub.

The suite package isn't as far reaching on RCCL or I'd probably be there all the time. There is nothing quite like having a pool deck with one or two people on it during a sea day and the Haven restaurant for breakfast.

I only time I care about dress code is the officers party, I think people should do their best to smarten up if attending but other than that it's their vacation - let them wear what they want.

I haven't waited for a restaurant on NCL in the last two years. I am happy with that.

If there really was someone to take my place suites would be sold out.

We are on the March 2017 Getaway cruise and the ship is 79% empty but ALL haven and suites are booked. Mini-suites and lower are all available. We looked at the 2 bedroom haven for this trip but could not justify the price. I get that people go on vacation for different reasons but to put down different classes of people is wrong. We thoroughly enjoy NCL. This will be our 4th cruise with them in 2 years. We have looked at saving going with other lines but we just don't want to be looked down on for showing up to dinner in shorts. We are on vacation and should not be made to feel like we have to dress up for dinner and we should not be forced to eat in the buffet because we don't want to dress up. As for the perks, we always get the UBP and whether we drink alcohol or not its still a good value. So now we have to pay an 18% gratuity before we sail. It works out to be a little less than $15 a day. That is the basic cost of one drink. I really don't see the big hype in all the discussions on this.

A vacation is what you make of it. We go on vacations to spend time with each other or as a family. Life is way to short to be so picky about material things. I would much rather pay a little more and be relaxed on my vacation that to worry about "dressing up" for dinner at a strict time. We are not slobs but we are country folks that value each other and the fun we have together not what NCL is or is not doing for me.

We are on the March 2017 Getaway cruise and the ship is 79% empty but ALL haven and suites are booked.

There is no such info publicly available anywhere. That figure is shown for March 5th cruise on the fish site, but it means that 79% of all possible categories have at least one cabin available – it has nothing to do with ship's total capacity.

Also many of the suite categories (H7, H6, H5, H2) on that cruise have been sold out on the same day three weeks ago, so I'd say that there is a bigger group or similar booked to those suites, definitely not normal.

We have sailed HAL, RCCL and Carnival in addition to NCL. Many, many years ago, we gravitated to sailing only NCL because (a) we prefer smaller ships to the mega-monsters; and (b) we really appreciate the crew on NCL ships.

We took a look at MSC recently. If you are in suite-mode, MSC looks to be a steal. If you are non-suite cruisers like us, even with a Platinum level match on MSC, it is far more expensive for less on MSC. Ditto for most of the other cruise lines.

Having said that, we are not thrilled with being moved (in last summer's ship scamble) to the Epic this winter; and the Getaway for 2018. (We live in Florida and have no desire to fly to a port. Retired, etc....)

After 2018, we will move from cruising to land-based vacations of some kind.

I've read in some financial reports that the per passenger spending went up (no wonder LOL) on NCL. But how will NCL handle the aggressive marketing done by for example MSC? While NCL is kind of stretching their target group and hoping everyone stays on board in that process and making more it seems MSC is really going after a piece of former NCL pie..?

See this ad:

mscjune.jpg

In my view NCL should maintain some lower pricing to compete with companies as MSC to keep a proper volume? What is it worth if your per passenger spending increases but the number of passengers eventually decreases due to the higher cruise fares? The nett profit would be a bit higher but could be more if they manage to keep the bottom of their target group with them? Not sure how high end they want NCL to be, the average NCL passenger mix already is less stylish than let's say the average passenger mix on MSC in the Caribbean.

Point of thread; will NCL allow MSC in their backyard whilst the front of the house is all up and shiny? ;) Will the NCL volume simply shift up and make room for others or will they retain and expand their volume? I think this is or should be the next focus for NCL after doing the more easy upscaling of their product.. Opinions?

I have been on MSCand you cannotcompare it to NCL ....food ...service ...cabinsetc ?.miles apart .....i for onewill nottravel. Withthemagain

On Lyrica therudest cruisedirector ..u lessyouwere Italian youwere treated likesecondclass citizen ....lunchwas waytoo short ..no food until 5 pm

Pizza guywent nuts w hen peoplecamebackfrom excursionse pecting toeatsomething ....almostfist fights in line wItingforpizza as onesin front hoarded...it was awful

No MSC doesnot compare...theywouldhave to be rock bottom in price for meto ever book themagain