Eclipsing Northern Europe by cruise : Basic black , and Baltic blues

scubacruiserx2

Wow , that sound like a great tour and deal ! :D

As for the crew , they probably needed the nap . ;) They have a busy jobs , with very long hours , and are separated from their families for extended periods . And yet , they make our vacations amazing !

They deserve more respect , more money - and a vacation with naps too ! :) :D

I think the crew definitely need to be paid appropriately for their work. However, if that was at the Australian wage levels, that will drive up the price of cruising considerably and ships wouldn't fill. Even at other OECD countries wage levels it would be much higher, which is why cruise lines mainly employs crew from developing countries like SE Asia and the sub continent or even former European Eastern block countries.

I think the crew definitely need to be paid appropriately for their work. However, if that was at the Australian wage levels, that will drive up the price of cruising considerably and ships wouldn't fill. Even at other OECD countries wage levels it would be much higher, which is why cruise lines mainly employs crew from developing countries like SE Asia and the sub continent or even former European Eastern block countries.

We as Americans have many service type jobs which rely on tips like our youngest daughter has ( and my Mom and Pat had in the past ) . And our personal belief is reflected by that . We consider 15 % of the bill as a starting point for basic service when dining out and very rarely give less . If we can't give that or more then we won't dine out . But not all Americans think the same and are willing to leave little or nothing . And so we always give extra on the cruise over and above the standard gratuities , and base it on their performance . We can afford to do this based on our low tax structure , with us choosing whom to give special attention , and we enjoy this system .

We don't know much about the Australian system . We did however hear a few things from several of the Danes about theirs . They all earn high wages and pay high prices for goods and have high taxes . We listened to a bus driver who said that in an effort to achieve financial equality , wages were equalized with doctors earning almost what bus drivers or fast food workers earned . He also said that they had a 60% income tax . His observations were that it was too expensive to eat out (even with his high paycheck ) and that many of the good doctors had left the country .

Adam shared with us how expensive and difficult it was to own a car in Denmark . He said that the government had just lowered the car registration tax from 180% to 150% ! . This is paid in addition to the high price of the car in the first place . Thus the price of a small car selling for $30,000 , becomes 75,000 . :eek:

Could it be that what Marcellus said in Hamlet is true ?

For most Americans a car = freedom , and for many - a necessity .

We as Americans have many service type jobs which rely on tips like our youngest daughter has ( and my Mom and Pat had in the past ) .

We did however hear a few things from several of the Danes about theirs . They all earn high wages and pay high prices for goods and have high taxes .

Adam shared with us how expensive and difficult it was to own a car in Denmark . He said that the government had just lowered the car registration tax from 180% to 150% ! . This is paid in addition to the high price of the car in the first place . Thus the price of a small car selling for $30,000 , becomes 75,000 . :eek:

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

?

or

"

O, wonderful" ?

Denmark does have high taxes but also a very good and free welfare service that includes a health care service.

Edited by Jack Staff

Whole review has been fabulous as always & so informative, but I must be honest & say that these gorgeous photos of Eclipse are a treat, especially since I'll be boarding her in just 2 days [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Woohoo , we hope that have a great cruise with great weather ! :) :D

We as Americans have many service type jobs which rely on tips like our youngest daughter has ( and my Mom and Pat had in the past ) . And our personal belief is reflected by that . We consider 15 % of the bill as a starting point for basic service when dining out and very rarely give less . If we can't give that or more then we won't dine out . But not all Americans think the same and are willing to leave little or nothing . And so we always give extra on the cruise over and above the standard gratuities , and base it on their performance . We can afford to do this based on our low tax structure , with us choosing whom to give special attention , and we enjoy this system .

We don't know much about the Australian system . We did however hear a few things from several of the Danes about theirs . They all earn high wages and pay high prices for goods and have high taxes . We listened to a bus driver who said that in an effort to achieve financial equality , wages were equalized with doctors earning almost what bus drivers or fast food workers earned . He also said that they had a 60% income tax . His observations were that it was too expensive to eat out (even with his high paycheck ) and that many of the good doctors had left the country .

In Australia, we have a system similar to Demark as we have high wages and as such a high cost of living, however, wages vary greatly still due to the skill set and demand. (I.e doctors earn much more than bus drivers.). Taxes are moderate and tipping is appreciated but not necessary here. I think we sit somewhere between the two (Denmark and USA) systems

As for my tipping practices, I follow the custom when visiting the various countries, and when cruising, I pre pay the gratuities.The room steward always gets an extra tip, the amount depends on any extra service provided. Every crew member that we meet or serves us, gets a smile and a thankyou which always helps and then they often will then go that bit further when they serve us again. We then reward the individual staff members or crew if we feel that they have gone above and beyond the normal duties (waiters, bar or drink staff, concierge, etc).

Edited by MicCanberra

In Australia, we have a system similar to Demark as we have high wages and as such a high cost of living, however, wages vary greatly still due to the skill set and demand. (I.e doctors earn much more than bus drivers.). Taxes are moderate and tipping is appreciated but not necessary here. I think we sit somewhere between the two (Denmark and USA) systems

As for my tipping practices, I follow the custom when visiting the various countries, and when cruising, I pre pay the gratuities.The room steward always gets an extra tip, the amount depends on any extra service provided. Every crew member that we meet or serves us, gets a smile and a thankyou which always helps and then they often will then go that bit further when they serve us again. We then reward the individual staff members or crew if we feel that they have gone above and beyond the normal duties (waiters, bar or drink staff, concierge, etc).

Thank you Mic for your POV and sharing the Aussie model with us !! :) :D

Edited by scubacruiserx2

We share your philosophy....and it's interesting to hear what the Danes you encountered had to say.....

More photos of the Eclipse aft , on this beautiful day

IMG_2426_zpsir31xkye.jpg

IMG_2427_zpss1cmcbxl.jpg

IMG_2428_zps77m9uytf.jpg

The aft is our preferred location and view . The heart marks our balcony from our TA on the Eclipse .

2b57f3ae-f597-447d-9ddc-3ae45dfc02f3_zpshhvsc5sx.jpg

Here's a view of the S1 Sky Suites .

IMG_2437_zpsuktrhnoq.jpg

This seminar from the Celebrity Today caught my attention . Would it be worth $20 to see if a coke drank from a Riedel glass would taste different ?

DSC06468-001_zps8hrnx3xr.jpg

But we decided that the money would be better spent on the lunch special at Tuscan Grille !

I don't know if we had entered the North Sea at this point as it seemed so calm , like the Caribbean .

52e66a67-f3ef-431b-979c-e918308d8ee1_zpssblkruzb.jpg

Except we were on a different ship

583b6790-8d99-4b90-8fec-2d6bd0aa4994_zpsnxxhovmj.jpg

with a TV screen

318798ce-693a-41dd-9fc9-2984f8fa3db3_zpswwhpyv1d.jpg

and an adult pool

b0810d24-e94f-4922-84d7-c2606c5aba64_zps21lhygft.jpg

and a brilliant sunset .

9da151fa-43b6-4c11-a5cc-46af98cab2b7_zpsswymwlcx.jpg

Oh , that was the Regal ! :cool:

It's a bit early for lunch here , and a bit late for lunch in the UK , but on the Eclipse it was the perfect time .

IMG_2655_zpsqyjpgfkx.jpg

At the Tuscan Grille they had a reduced menu and a reduced price

DSC06472_zpslkugjool.jpg

DSC06472-001_zpshfrf1mld.jpg

DSC06472-002_zpsfg5kauta.jpg

This was Tyler's favorite restaurant so far

DSC06474_zps6kplyqra.jpg

A crispy crab cake

DSC06484_zps5asctbko.jpg

I can't post photos of our dinner at Murano as Photobucket is undergoing maintenance again . We will post as soon as they will let me .

We're thrilled to see that the Caribbean Princess is returning to Ft. Lauderdale soon and so we booked a nice aft cabin for December . We have a popular thread which shows 4 Caribbean cruises which we did on that ship , and it's found here if you care to see it :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094420

I can't post photos of our dinner at Murano as Photobucket is undergoing maintenance again . We will post as soon as they will let me .

We're thrilled to see that the Caribbean Princess is returning to Ft. Lauderdale soon and so we booked a nice aft cabin for December . We have a popular thread which shows 4 Caribbean cruises which we did on that ship , and it's found here if you care to see it :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094420

I had already noticed that cruise on the CB in your signature before you mentioned it. About time you two, or is it 3, went diving! :D Great choice, booking an aft cabin. :cool:

Loved the look at Tivoli Gardens. May have to plan a visit there some day. My list of places to visit somehow seems to keep getting longer and longer.....

I had already noticed that cruise on the CB in your signature before you mentioned it. About time you two, or is it 3, went diving! :D Great choice, booking an aft cabin. :cool:

Loved the look at Tivoli Gardens. May have to plan a visit there some day. My list of places to visit somehow seems to keep getting longer and longer.....

We haven't been able to dive together since Pat got medical clearance . But we've booked Cozumel for a long week with some friends in late October but , unfortunately , we have to return before you reach Cozumel because we would love to dive with you !

All of our upcoming cruises are just Pat and I . But we do have a snowcation trip planned for Tyler & his brother ( they have never seen snow ! ) over the Christmas / New Year's Holiday .

:) :D

. But we do have a snowcation trip planned for Tyler & his brother ( they have never seen snow ! ) over the Christmas / New Year's Holiday .

We do the opposite, we have started spending New Year in Tenerife, to have at least 2 weeks away from the 'white stuff.'

We do the opposite, we have started spending New Year in Tenerife, to have at least 2 weeks away from the 'white stuff.'

You have a similar climate to where Pat grew up in Michigan which it quite different from here . It's only ever snowed here once - and that was the year in which Pat moved here ! :eek:

We used to love going to Michigan with our kids to visit for a couple of weeks in the Winter for a White Christmas or in the summer for a break from the Florida heat and humidity . Your Summers are like our Winters , but we prefer to live here and visit there . ;)