Ft Lauderdale Hotels

CintiCruzer

We really enjoy the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd. It is a historic hotel with a boutique feel. It is right on the river and within walking distance of a water taxi stop which is a fun outing. There are shops and restaurants to explore all up and down Las Olas Blvd. Very inexpensive taxi ride to the port as well.

We are going in Dec and have booked our rooms with Rodeway Inn...will pick you up at the airport and take you to the cruise ship....Looks like a nice place, has a restaurant and bar....:)

Please go to the Florida Departures Board and do a search on the Rodeway Inn - it receives more lukewarm/negative reviews than any other hotel frequently discussed on the Board. You might also want to pose a question there about recent experiences (maybe it is improving).

OP - since this thread hasn't been moved :D, and you plan to spend 2 nights in Fort Lauderdale, let me give you some websites that should assist in your planning:

• http://www.sunny.org - the official tourist site includes info on lodging, transportation, restaurants, and attractions
  • http://www.watertaxi.com - Hop On/Hop Off boats with a nice narration by the captain
  • http://www.suntrolley.com - cheap transportation ($1/ride or $3/day pass) along the 17th Street, Beach, and Las Olas Blvd corridors with a terminus in the Harbor Shops shopping center adjacent to the Embassy Suites and Hyatt Place
  • http://www.lasolasboulevard.com - the iconic street in Fort Lauderdale lined with shops, restaurants, galleries, etc.

Edited by capriccio

Please go to the Florida Departures Board and do a search on the Rodeway Inn - it receives more lukewarm/negative reviews than any other hotel frequently discussed on the Board. You might also want to pose a question there about recent experiences (maybe it is improving).

I second that suggestion, also check out trip advisor and listen to the DE's from Fort Lauderdale .

Reader

We really enjoy the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd. It is a historic hotel with a boutique feel. It is right on the river and within walking distance of a water taxi stop which is a fun outing. There are shops and restaurants to explore all up and down Las Olas Blvd. Very inexpensive taxi ride to the port as well.

Looks like a place we'd like but $300/night...:rolleyes:

Thank you so much for the update, thanks for posting the link. So, going to the pier Princess uses, you don't need to go through security now, that makes it easier for those who just want to walk in, which we might do, depending on how "lightly" I can pack LOL.

Just keep in mind that it is the pier princess usually uses.

If there are 2 princess ships in port on a particular day,

one will be at berth 2. The other might be at berth 21.

All the other berths are inside security.

Hi All

My wife and I are doing the Feb 5 sailing on The Regal. We would like to hear some recommendations for Hotels near the port. we are thinking coming in on Friday before the Sunday departure....

Want to consider a place that provides transportation to the pier...

Your comments are appreciated

Cinticruzer

We stayed at the Hilton Marina Inn. I don't recommend this place. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn and we would stay there again. They have transportation to the pier but DH and I took a cab - faster and cheaper. In November, we're staying at the Comfort Inn. We stayed there a few years back and wasn't that pleased with it but it has since been renovated and the price is right for just a one night stay. All we need is a clean room and a bed to sleep in. We're getting off one ship and onto another.:p

We stayed at the Hilton Marina Inn. I don't recommend this place. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn and we would stay there again. They have transportation to the pier but DH and I took a cab - faster and cheaper. In November, we're staying at the Comfort Inn. We stayed there a few years back and wasn't that pleased with it but it has since been renovated and the price is right for just a one night stay. All we need is a clean room and a bed to sleep in. We're getting off one ship and onto another.:p

I agree about the Hilton Marina. Stayed there twice in the last 8 months and my son once in February, and its in dire need of refurbishing. Only problem its stays packed so there is no incentive to fix anything. I never recommend it. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Since the OP is staying two nights I'd suggest a Budget rental car which can be picked up at the airport and dropped off at Port Everglades. I'd use Hotwire to get a nice 4 star hotel on the beach. Or save some money and stay at one of the hotels near Stirling Road in Dania Beach

Since the OP is staying two nights I'd suggest a Budget rental car which can be picked up at the airport and dropped off at Port Everglades. I'd use Hotwire to get a nice 4 star hotel on the beach. Or save some money and stay at one of the hotels near Stirling Road in Dania Beach

Just a word of warning - if you reserve a hotel on the beach make sure you check out 1) parking fees (there is no free parking in beach hotels and rates range from $20 + per night) and 2) resort fees (some hotels charge them on top of their room rates - it's common with beach hotels in South Florida) in order to determine your true cost per night.

I am not trying to dissuade the OP from staying at the beach or downtown - that is definitely what I would do if I had 2 nights (and days) in Fort Lauderdale. The 17th Street area is convenient (more so than Dania Beach/Airport areas) to the port and numerous restaurants and stores but it really doesn't give you a feel for Fort Lauderdale. It is a 1 mile long 4 -6 lane road with strip malls on either side interspersed with hotels. It looks like any such area in America but it does have palm trees:D.

Edited by capriccio

The former Comfort Suites Airport and Cruise Port hotel at 1800 S Federal Hwy appears to have changed names and hopefully owners.

Its now the Ft Lauderdale Cruise /Airport Inn.

Its only a couple of blocks from the Hyatt Place on 10th.

As the Comfort Suites we found it terrible. Glad its been redone. Hopefully someone will chime in with a recent experience.

The former Comfort Suites Airport and Cruise Port hotel at 1800 S Federal Hwy appears to have changed names and hopefully owners.

Its now the Ft Lauderdale Cruise /Airport Inn.

Its only a couple of blocks from the Hyatt Place on 10th.

As the Comfort Suites we found it terrible. Glad its been redone. Hopefully someone will chime in with a recent experience.

It is in the process of becoming a 4 Points by Sheraton. When that was announced last fall the tentative date for the change over from the current independent arrangement was July 1. I went to the Starwood website and it is now listed as opening December 13, 2016. Bookings are not being accepted yet.

When considering hotel costs, take into account that the Renaissance doesn't include breakfast and there's a charge for parking if you rent a car. Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites include breakfast and parking. Both include transfers between FLL and the hotel and then the port. As has been said, rather than lining up for a transfer van, it's easier and probably cheaper to grab a cab to the port.

Hi PAM, the Hyatt Place charges $5 per night and has for the past three or four times we've stayed at this property and the Embassy Suites was charging a lot, too. I think they're charging around $29 per night now or maybe it's $20? But we were booked there recently and had to cancel, but I remember many people grumbling about parking fees at ES

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have Hyatt points stashed away, the Hyatt Place 17th St / Convention Center is a great option. It was clean, staff very friendly, breakfast satisfactory, and walkable to shopping and nearby restaurants. It is very close to the Embassy Suites. When available, one night is 8000 points, or 4000 points and $55. We thought it was a good use of points considering the prices for Ft. Lauderdale.

We have done this at this property three times now

Edited by 4cats4me

Looks like a place we'd like but $300/night...:rolleyes:

Sometimes you can get lucky and get it on Priceline Express Deals or Hotwire. We got lucky in March and paid $109 before taxes. We purchased approx two weeks from sail date. We had a backup reservation someplace else though and canceled that one after we won the Riverside. Loved it.

It is in the process of becoming a 4 Points by Sheraton. When that was announced last fall the tentative date for the change over from the current independent arrangement was July 1. I went to the Starwood website and it is now listed as opening December 13, 2016. Bookings are not being accepted yet.

Thanks for the update....

Thats better then what its been. Current reviews are still not great.

It needs to be gutted and redone but I doubt they would go that far.

Really surprised to see the many recommendations for a room for $280 - $300+! I can see splurging a little for a two-night stay, but wow...:p

I don't mind spending the $$$ if we have time to enjoy the hotel. BUT ... since we often get to the hotel early evening the day before the cruise and then check-out early morning, we usually just look for a good hotel without all the "resort" perks. That's why earlier in the post I recommended the Best Western Cruise Port. I think it was about $129.

Just keep in mind that it is the pier princess usually uses.

If there are 2 princess ships in port on a particular day,

one will be at berth 2. The other might be at berth 21.

All the other berths are inside security.

Just checked the schedule, only one Princess when we leave, but two when we return, we have a shuttle upon return so no problems.

I don't mind spending the $$$ if we have time to enjoy the hotel. BUT ... since we often get to the hotel early evening the day before the cruise and then check-out early morning, we usually just look for a good hotel without all the "resort" perks. That's why earlier in the post I recommended the Best Western Cruise Port. I think it was about $129.

BigGuy25 same here, arriving around 7PM and leaving the next morning so no time to enjoy a nicer place.

I just booked both the BW Dania Beach and and Quality Inn Hollywood for 1 night in January. We've stayed at the BW twice, and although reviews are typically mixed we're fine with it and there is a Walgreen's(?) and also restaurants right across the street. QI has similar reviews so I booked both and will choose one soon.

4cats4me I also look at any deals on Hotwire as we get closer, I have found great deals on Hotwire when staying one night in Miami.