Help first time cruiser !!!

Pix232

Hi husbands just booked a surprise celebrity cruise for my 50 th in 5 days time and we both have never cruised before ... Can you all think back to your first cruise and think what took you by surprise ,what you should have or should have not taken with you , little things that you new for the next time you cruised ,will we be like fish out of water ::eek: !!! By time we arrive at pier il be a nervous wreck it's just the Unknown ,we do travel a lot and always admired the cruise liners out at sea so I suppose it was inevitable some day we would do a cruise but now it's hear I would like to prepare we have booked some excursions and paid our gratuities so we do have things slightly planned ,sea sickness worries me should we take something for that just in case or am I talking rubbish !! Also Hubbie a smoker and he didn't realise Celebrity and by the look most cruise ships are pretty anti smoking so will he be standing out in the wind and rain for a puff (I think so bless ) .. Is their a kettle in cabins ? Oh so many questions which I'm sure il get answered and once i read other threads I'm sure il feel bit more prepared any info would be much appreciated

First I would suggest a deep breath and relax. This will be fun. For questions here you might want to identify the ship, and the planned itinerary. Also check out the Celebrity board as that seems to be the line you are cruising.

First WOW moment was pulling up and seeing how BIG the ship is up close. Second was as soon as we stepped on board. We had such a smile on our face. After more than a dozen cruises, it's still just as exciting for us and we still have the goofy smile on our face. We usually have a balcony cabin, but we still enjoy being on the deck for sailaway. :D

What took me most by surprise was how overwhelming the cruise FAQs & these boards make it seem. It's a vacation. You are not flying into deep space. Calm down. You can handle this.

The ship is a really a big hotel that moves. You have stayed in a hotel before. Not that much different, except the bathroom will be small.

Read the dress code for your ship & pack accordingly. Other than a mug, a highlighter & a pack of stickie notes you probably don't need most of the suggested items. Once you board take some time to tour the ship. Remember the fish on the carpet swim forward. There are maps at every elevator & stairwell. The people who say pack 1/2 the clothes & 2x the money aren't kidding. Although it's easy to get carried away in a cashless system, you are the master of your own finances. Keep your receipts & see what you spend to keep your budget & not get a nasty surprise. It is easier & less complicated to open your on board account with a credit card rather than another form of payment.

Read the stuff your cruise line sends you . . . all of it, especially the fine print. Read your daily schedule to see what you want to & what you would be happy skipping. Remember you can't do it all. That's what your 2nd cruise is for lol!

Consider travel insurance especially if your health insurance doesn't cover you once you leave Scotland.

Pack sunscreen. The deck & the water reflect & intensify the sun's rays. My fair skinned Irish husband wears a SPF shirt. A hat is a must.

Above all have a great birthday celebration!

Agree that first WOW moment was how big the ship was!

Things we took on second cruise:

1. A lanyard for on board card

2. A sign we hung on the back of the door showing which was fore and aft on the ship. It can get confusing at first. Once seasoned, didn't need as much

3. Less luggage. We overpacked big time!

4. Get to know your room steward--they are the biggest source of information available once on board

We are taking the Eurodam departing Venice on October 9th. We are looking for another couple to share a Pompeii Tour (Naples) on October 15th. Am I able to use Cruise Critic to help us with that, and if so, how would we do that. I can't seem to find how you can actually do a new post.

Golfer2016

We are taking the Eurodam departing Venice on October 9th. We are looking for another couple to share a Pompeii Tour (Naples) on October 15th. Am I able to use Cruise Critic to help us with that, and if so, how would we do that. I can't seem to find how you can actually do a new post.

Golfer2016

Sort of. It belongs on your Roll Call thread.

If you're on this weekend's Eclipse cruise out of Southampton, then yes, there will be a kettle in your cabin.

Buy some Stugeron from any pharmacy, or Boots own travel sickness pills, just in case... we carry them but rarely have to use them

If you're visiting St Petersburg then you must go with either a ship's tour or another authorised group because of visa issues...

Find out where the buffet is early on, so that you can have a snack. You can eat in there at any time of day... you don't have to eat in the main dining room all the time.

Make sure you read the safety rules on the back of the cabin door... they'll show you the way to your muster station.

Above all- relax and just enjoy the trip! :cool::cool:

You really don't need anything special for a cruise that you wouldn't take on any holiday to the climate you're visiting.

Swimsuits, sunscreen...clothes for dinner....shorts for ports....you're good to go.

I always bring my own hairdryer, because the ones provided are horrible and don't blow worth a damn. Also...my own toiletries.

Binoculars are nice, too...there's lots to see at sea!

Other than that...bring plenty of $$$$...that will get you through anything!

Yes, bring something for sea sickness. You won't know until you're cruising whether you need it and you don't want to be without it if you do!

As someone else said, you don't need to bring anything you wouldn't bring on a land vacation.

Be sure to visit the Celebrity board for specific questions. I'm sure your smoking question will be answered there. Each line has its own policies in regard to smoking...

Golfer2016

Golfer, here's your roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2330835

This is a place where others on the same sailing can talk to each other and arrange tours together before sailing.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You are well traveled. A ship is basically like going to a resort or staying in a hotel except it moves you around.

While Celebrity is NOT a good choice for a smoker, they do have a small outdoor area where smoking is allowed. He will probably make many friends there because smokers tend to immediately like other smokers.

Try not to "over worry" and look forward to having a wonderful cruise. :)

Enjoy yourself, sure it will be fab - we love Celebrity.

Don't think Celebrity has UK sockets so take a UK->US or UK->EU travel plug. Tesco does an EU one that allows you to charge two USB appliances (in case you both have phones,camera, kindle e-reader etc to charge). Travel hairdryer suitable for US voltage is handy if you have long hair - bought one from Amazon UK for about £15. No irons are allowed so don't take one. If you don't have a drinks package included, take a bottle of wine/bubbly each (Max 2 per cabin). Take it in your carry-on :)

I always have a blingy lanyard for my pass key. Couple of paperbacks (usually leave them to the ship's library after read them). Shades & sun hat. Little canvas shopper/beach bag to take books etc to the deck (if you don't have a balcony for sun).

Some sweeties or savoury snacks. Ships don't have a great selection and what they have aren't cheap

Welcome to cruise critic and congratulations on your upcoming 50th birthday, I hope you have a seriously great cruise.

Not sure if you need them but passports/EU card.

Also 'Double your money and halve your luggage'. Most of all relax, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the cruise experience.

Some sweeties or savoury snacks. Ships don't have a great selection and what they have aren't cheap

Just meant to add that I mean crisps and similar. On our Celebrity cruise bars only served wee jugs full of japanese style savoury snacks. The onboard store only had one kind of Pringles at hugely elevated price. So since then we've been taking a tub or two of Pringles or similar crisps we enjoy and some dairy free dark chocolate for me.

You can always top up while in port, but I like having our wee stash ;)

If your husband is a heavy smoker, he may want to bring some nicotine gum or patches so he doesn't have to spend all his time schlepping back and forth to the smoking area (on our celebrity cruise last week I believe there were only 2).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We only took our first cruise in September 2013 to Norway on Crown princess......as others have mentioned, the wow factor was the size of her!!

To be honest, Almost everybody was probably nervous before their first cruise......have I got this, did I do that, the what ifs.......the best advice I can give is forget all of the questions, ENJOY EVERY SECOND, go with the flow, you will have a great time!!

We are on our 4th cruise in September and the 'wow' is as strong as ever!!

Steve and Wendy

Edited by c*r*u*I*s*e

What a lovely hubby you have! :)

As other have said, you are well traveled and this is just another way to travel.

Make sure you give yourselves plenty of time to get to your port of departure - spending anxious hours in a traffic jam is not the best way to start any holiday.

Take an overnight bag with you for whatever you will need in the last 12 hours or so - on most lines you will be asked to put your luggage outside your cabin during your last evening aboard, so you will need something in which to pack your pj's etc. Don't forget to keep back something to wear on the last morning!

I think my biggest surprise was our last morning onboard. Suddenly, after being valued guests we became persona non grata! There's a lot to be done to get the ship ready for the next lot of passengers, so you won't be encouraged to hang around (unless you are on a fly/cruise organised by the cruiseline, in which case arrangements will be made for you).

Do come back and tell us how you enjoyed your cruise. It's not right for everyone - but most of us on here are self-confessed addicts :D