Packing List for AMS to BUD Cruise in September

41Rainbow

Hi guys.

Okay we have his and hers suit cases....what do we need to put in them?

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Roger and Jill

Everybody is different, but I would refer you to the blog below, which is one of the most detailed I've seen. As you scroll down on the first link, you'll see what ukalady packed for her Amsterdam to Budapest cruise. Scroll down the second, and you'll see what she packed that did and didn't work.

As always, your mileage may vary...

FuelScience

https://rivercruisenewbie.wordpress.com/2014/07/

https://rivercruisenewbie.wordpress.com/2014/09/

Take two pairs each of sturdy, thick soled walking shoes. The cobblestones can be very tough if you are wearing sandals or other types of thin soled shoes. Take clothing for all types of weather, we were there in September of 2015 and the weather was very warm, low 90s farenheit. A good hat or baseball cap would be good also and some sunscreen.

We always take our Goretex rain jackets from LL Bean. They are great in rain and windy weather. We just layer underneath them with sweaters. They are light weight and easy to pack plus they have a hood. Only time we do not take them is when we on Christmas market tours.

If you are checking your luggage it is a VERY good idea to crosspack. Put half of your clothing in each bag. Then if one bag takes a detour:), you still have more than the extra set in your carry on. The laundry on most lines is quite reasonable and very good. The extra pair of shoes is an excellent idea, given the amount of rain in Europe lately. Good luck and enjoy. Be careful river cruising can be addictive--we leave on number 22 in October. Pat:)

Crosspacking is a great idea by pacmom. One small pair of binoculars is a nice thing to take if you have a little room. Pack some bubble wrap perhaps, for a potentially breakable souvenir (picked this one up from a previous poster on CC). Leave some room for something you will buy, i.e. do not overpack. Very hard to do, I know. :D

Pack, i.e. note down your clothing size in European standards, if you need to buy an item, it is easier to find the size you need. In all the places on your trip you will be able to find clothes shops, some smaller some larger.

In September pack for any weather except zero degrees and snow.

Have a great trip.

notamermaid

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467118554&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+multi+plug

we pack this multi plug....although the ship seems to have plenty of outlets...we still seem to run out...camera, Ipads, Ipods, phone, kindle x 2= need for loads of charging power

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467118554&sr=8-3&keywords=travel+multi+plug

we pack this multi plug....although the ship seems to have plenty of outlets...we still seem to run out...camera, Ipads, Ipods, phone, kindle x 2= need for loads of charging power

Absolutely! Wouldn't travel without it. It also comes in handy in airports where there are limited outlets. Just got back from a trip to the Netherlands, and we used it the entire time. I would suggest one more accessory for the truly nerdy with lots of electronics. We take a multiport USB charger so that we can do several devices from one outlet on the multi plug.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VH958F0/ref=twister_B018QZ3G2E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

FuelScience

We did this exact itinerary on a sailing mid Sept 2015. We took way to much, at least 50% of what I took was never used.

I was really glad I invested in really comfy walking shoes, the cobblestone streets were brutal! And so glad to get back to the ship and put on comfy cute sandles for onboard. Gave my feet a chance to rest.

Other item that I had and needed was a good lite weight rain coat. We did have some rain and I wore my fleece vest often.

LL Bean, Landsend, Travel Smith and Chico's are the stores that filled (over filled) my bags!

What ever you think you need, go ahead and pack it all up and then take 50% out! The laundry service on (Avalon) the boat was wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are checking your luggage it is a VERY good idea to crosspack. Put half of your clothing in each bag. Then if one bag takes a detour:), you still have more than the extra set in your carry on. The laundry on most lines is quite reasonable and very good. The extra pair of shoes is an excellent idea, given the amount of rain in Europe lately. Good luck and enjoy. Be careful river cruising can be addictive--we leave on number 22 in October. Pat:)

Another vote for crosspacking. Also put at least one change of clothes in your carry ons. On our first river cruise DW's bag took a tour to Venice, fortunately, she had a few, but enough, things in mine. Since then we travel with two "our" bags, not a his and hers. :)

If we wear our "evening" shoes (thin sole, comfy, slip-ons) on the plane. A pair of walking shoes goes into the carry-on.

A Schuko type adapter is a good thing to pack also, converts a recessed two prong round plug to a three prong American style plug. It does not convert the voltage however.

This Belkin adapter combines both electrical and USB in one device, replacing both of the suggestions above!

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-SurgePlus-Protector-BST300/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467137709&sr=8-1&keywords=belkin+adapter

Pack layers - it can be anywhere from cold to hot. I always have hiking sandals --> I have Keens that I love. I always have a spare pair of shoes just in case one pair gets wet. And something a little dressier for the evening. I also have a light water-proof jacket in case it rains. The boats have umbrellas, so if you are not extending, you shouldn't need to bring one.

Bubble wrap. Ziplock bags. Hand sanitizer. I know there is hand sanitizer at the door of the restaurant, but I lways have some with me. Plug adapter(s), and at least 2 charger cables.

Bandaids. Tylenol (or another OTC pain reliever). Some type of cough/cold capsules and an antihistamine --> just in case you need something, and can't easily find a pharmacy - or can't read the packaging. I also pack a spare pair of glasses. If mine broke, I would be in big trouble. (Think white cane level of uncorrected vision....). Spare batteries if ANYTHING is battery powered.

Photocopies of our passports - and I write down our credit card numbers and the emergency contact information on the back of the card(s) in case I need to contact someone about a lost or stolen card.

I know this seems like a lot, but most of this does not take up a lot of room. We have learned to pare down over the past few years. We never are close to our weight limit when we go - which leaves room for any purchases.

I always pack spare underwear and a clean top in my carry on. Just in case my luggage is delayed.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Fran

Photocopies of our passports - and I write down our credit card numbers and the emergency contact information on the back of the card(s) in case I need to contact someone about a lost or stolen card.

In conjunction with Fran's comment, we also have scans of passports on our laptops/tablets/phones. We also make sure that we each have one credit card that the other doesn't have. We learned the hard way a few years ago on a trip to Chicago that when one person gets pickpocketed and you have all the same credit cards in your wallet, you're in a real bind.

FuelScience

In conjunction with Fran's comment, we also have scans of passports on our laptops/tablets/phones. We also make sure that we each have one credit card that the other doesn't have. We learned the hard way a few years ago on a trip to Chicago that when one person gets pickpocketed and you have all the same credit cards in your wallet, you're in a real bind.

FuelScience

I always have 2 different credit cards & a debit card. When I had my wallet stolen in London a few years ago, I called and cancelled the cards. Even though my DH was carrying supplemental cards - same account - his were left active. The bank said there was no need to cancel his card as well.

Luckily it was on the day before we were due to leave, so I didn't have to have him glued to my side in a store for too long....

Fran

I always have 2 different credit cards & a debit card. When I had my wallet stolen in London a few years ago, I called and cancelled the cards. Even though my DH was carrying supplemental cards - same account - his were left active. The bank said there was no need to cancel his card as well.

Luckily it was on the day before we were due to leave, so I didn't have to have him glued to my side in a store for too long....

Fran

Many cards now give different numbers to both holders, which permits this partial cancellation. But for the best protection, we bring multiple credit and debit cards and only carry one of each off the ship. That way we can cancel stolen cards and still have backups that will work. Even if your backup card has a foreign transaction fee, it's better than nothing at all.

We also travel with different credit cards for this very reason. Hubby has 2 different Acct and 1 ATM with him and I have the same only our cards all 4 are different accts and the ATM cards are from two different banks and only used for traveling, each loaded with a good Amt of money in the event of an emergency.

Traveling in China every thing in my DH wallet was compromised but I still had my extra cards. Thank goodness

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JVilleGal

FuelScience

Alternatively, you can attach those scans to an email to yourself. Then if your devices blow up, get lost, or get stolen you can still access your info.