Why is Princess still going to Istanbul?

Loreni

Hi

Just wondering if your cruise is supposed to stop in Kusadasi as well. If so are you still stopping there?

I'm on the September cruise to this area and just trying to get a feel of what Princess might do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, Kusadasi is still on the itinerary according to the revised itinerary email that Princess sent out which cancelled Istanbul and substituted Rhodes.

Just received Princess notification for our July 2-9 cruise on the Royal, that our dip in Istanbul has been cancelled and Rhodes has been substituted.
Loved Rhodes. :) Princess will make a decision about her next port stop in Istanbul in a few days. They are "monitoring" the situation.

Princess is one of the few cruise lines still going. Most other cruise lines are not. This seems like outlier behavior and I can imagine several reasons for it.

1) Princess has different information than the other lines (either more or less). This causes Princess to evaluate the risks/benefits differently.

2) Princess has the same information, but still evaluates the risks benefits differently. This might be because they think their passengers represent a unique demographic that will evaluate the risks and benefits differently. For example, if most Princess passengers have never been to Istanbul before and never expect to return, they could have a higher risk tolerance.

3) Pincess has already decided to drop Istanbul, but isn't ready to announce. Maybe they are trying to line up the best alerternative port they can before announcing.

It makes it difficult for those trying to decide if they should cancel. For some people, if they can't get enough information, the default decision will be to cancel.

What do you think the reason is?

I had post once after reading the title of your post.

Really....? the post title I mean..

now to your question......

What I think the reason is?

Simply, at the time you posted this they had not made a decision. And all of your above statements could apply. But, if you're concerned, cancel b4 final payment.

I have been on cruises, as well as land trips when crisis have developed.

I was in Turkey last Nov. and was at the Paris a few days after their attack. I was in Peru when they had riots and Israel when there were bombings, I was on a cruise in Mexico when we were diverted to SF because of swine flu, I could go on and on. Forever in the travel world we have had hot spots, they just change from year to year but now it seems to be month to month. This is all part of the risk we take when we travel.

BTW I live in So Cal I take a risk every time I drive the freeway:)

Then for the first time in many years a Primary mattered in CA, so I made it a point to attend rallys for Sanders, Clinton and Trump, I don't need to say more there r a lot of angry people all over the world and in my own backyard.

I m not saying be stupid...however I do remember when my DH and I were traveling to Egypt and our children who were in their teens at the time were concerned about our safety. We sat them all down and said if something happened to us their life style would not change, except we would be out of the picture, at that time they were probably thinking that would be great;)

Now after this long drawn out statement....

It all boils down to this the cruise lines are dealing with problems from minute to minute many that need immediate attention whether they make a port or not or whether u cancel or not they cannot concern themselves with these small issues.

However a major issue like this, when it comes to safety and eliminating "fear" they generally resolve it as quickly as possible. How they come up with the decision for each unique case

your guess is as good as mine....

Edited by land lover

Here are some facts: As for today 07/01/'16:

July 23, Aug 20, Sep. 10

Royal Princess Greece & Turkey

Ports: Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy | Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) | Crete (Heraklion), Greece | Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus) |Istanbul, Turkey | Mykonos, Greece | Athens (Piraeus), Greece

These may be the facts, but in their announcement, Princess said a decision will be made within the next couple of weeks about the remaining 2016 calls to Istanbul. I find it hard to believe they will decide "looks safe now" and return to Istanbul so quickly. Hoping our September cruise also changes to Rhodes.

Edited by thunderbaycruiser

While I understand all the concerns, one could go to most touristy places nowadays and end up in the midst of some sort of terrorist atrocity. We may as well just stay at home in our own home. Of course there's always the chance something could happen there too. My motto - Live your life otherwise they have won.

These may be the facts, but in their announcement, Princess said a decision will be made within the next couple of weeks about the remaining 2016 calls to Istanbul. I find it hard to believe they will decide "looks safe now" and return to Istanbul so quickly. Hoping our September cruise also changes to Rhodes.

So Princess has decided that the next scheduled stop in Istanbul should be canceled because of safety concerns. Yet they are not canceling any other stops this year because they are not yet sure Istanbul will continue to be so unsafe? This does not match the decisions being made by most other cruise lines. I don't understand the reasoning process or what information the decisions are based on.

Why would Istanbul be unsafe in July but safe August? Perhaps Princess expects the State Department to drop the alert soon? If not, what might be an example of the type additional information Princess would need to know before they cancel more Istanbul stops? Pehaps if the alert is upgraded to warning, or did that already happen?

OK, I just checked. The State Department did upgrade to a Warning on June 27. So this is not the reason for Princess' decisions. So again, what exactly are they monitoring? What special information do they need that most other cruise lines do not need. And if Istanbul has been deemed safe for most future sailings, why have they even bothered to cancel the next visit?

Edited by Loreni

Everyone has their own risk tolerance and that's fine. But really, how safe is the good ol' U S of A? Travel anywhere contains a risk these days. If you don't want to get off the ship or not go at all, that's your own decision. I have faith in Princess that they are going to make intelligent decisions based on far more information than we have.

I have faith in Princess that they are going to make intelligent decisions based on far more information than we have.

I don't know. What about the inconsistencies?

Inconsistency 1: Princess had not cancelled Istanbul when most other cruise lines had.

Inconsistency 2: Princess has now canceled only the next stop, but not other future stops.

There may be a good rationale that explains both inconsistencies.

We may as well just stay at home in our own home.

But there are more than two options: either a) stay home, or b) visit a place that has a recently issued State Department travel warning.

Yes risk exists everywhere even in your own home, but the degree of risk surely varies from place to place.

Princess has been doing this for a long time. I trust their decision. Was I happy when the Regal missed Istanbul? Of course not. They are not going to put profit before safety and they sure won't divulge the resources they use to determine port safety issues to you me or anyone else. It may appear that they are not doing things properly but rest assured they are.

So Princess has decided that the next scheduled stop in Istanbul should be canceled because of safety concerns. Yet they are not canceling any other stops this year because they are not yet sure Istanbul will continue to be so unsafe? This does not match the decisions being made by most other cruise lines. I don't understand the reasoning process or what information the decisions are based on.

Why would Istanbul be unsafe in July but safe August? Perhaps Princess expects the State Department to drop the alert soon? If not, what might be an example of the type additional information Princess would need to know before they cancel more Istanbul stops? Pehaps if the alert is upgraded to warning, or did that already happen?

OK, I just checked. The State Department did upgrade to a Warning on June 27. So this is not the reason for Princess' decisions. So again, what exactly are they monitoring? What special information do they need that most other cruise lines do not need. And if Istanbul has been deemed safe for most future sailings, why have they even bothered to cancel the next visit?

All valid points, excellently stated.

We cancelled our trip to Disneyland for the same reason. We will not be going to Paris again.
Err, Paris, this thread is about Istanbul. Perhaps I should cancel all plans to visit Disney world in Orlando after the Pulse nightclub atrocity shouldn't I?

On the Pacific next year with a stop in Constantinople(ha istanbul). Been there. Don't really want to go again. Would be very happy to ho to Rhodes or somewhere else. But by next November we will probably be at the Blue Mosk.

Edited by oskidunker

Err, Paris, this thread is about Istanbul. Perhaps I should cancel all plans to visit Disney world in Orlando after the Pulse nightclub atrocity shouldn't I?

All travel has risks and benefits. I think that was the point being made. And the poster has decided that Paris, Istanbul, and Disney are not worth the risk for the benefit at this time. I agree.

I am old enough to have experienced the type of vacations people took before air travel became widely affordable and well before cruising was mainstream. We would visit my Grandparents' homes near the shore or rent a cabin at the lake. Later we also went to Disney in California and Orlando...very different experiences than either the lake or ocean and offering their own pluses and minuses. I wouldn't mind a quiet week or two at a lake or ocean cottage right now...especially since I can drive there. For me, if there was ever a time for a more nostalgic type of vacation, it's now.

As far as canceling Orlando goes, I can tell you that I recently returned to Disneyworld for the first time in nearly thirty years and found it very hot even in April and extremely overcrowded. The wristbands and fast passes and the need to schedule dining and attraction times, even for those staying on-site, ruined the visit for us. No more spontaneity and the joy that goes with it. This is one reason we are not interested in sailing on the Anthem or Oasis...too much pre-scheduling of shows and dining.

Orlando itself has a high crime rate for a city of its size. Anaheim has problems too, but Disneyland in Anaheim has much better weather. Both sets of parks are potential targets, but perhaps Orlando more so. Most of the attractions that are common to both Orlando and California are better in California. The parks are more compact in California, so less walking between attractions (important for small children). Disneyland is lusher, offers more shade, non-Disney hotel options within walking distance of the park entrance, and good proximity to San Pedro for Princess cruising.

Since the parks in California are small and compact you can see the same number of attractions in a much shorter time (maybe 2 days) and perhaps squeeze in a Princess cruise to Hawaii or Mexico afterwards. Worth considering.

Personally, I do not care to return to Disney ever...but if I did, it would be in California.

Edited by Loreni

Celebrity Cruise Line has already announced that they are dropping Istanbul and replacing it with Athens.

Why is Princess taking so long to make other arrangements? Most of the other cruise lines have dealt with this matter already.

Istanbul is still listed on my next cruise in Nov/16! I wish Princess would deal with this concern soon!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by 2Canucks

Celebrity Cruise Line has already announced that they are dropping Istanbul and replacing it with Athens.

Why is Princess taking so long to make other arrangements? Most of the other cruise lines have dealt with this matter already.

Istanbul is still listed on my next cruise in Nov/16! I wish Princess would deal with this concern soon!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Its already dealt with....they just haven't told you.

I am tired of hearing "There's already been an attack there. Most likely the next attack will be somewhere else."

This is the 4th, let me repeat, 4th bombing in Istanbul in 2016. The terror threat in Istanbul is escalating. The airport was not a "one off" attack. It is increasingly likely there will be more attacks in Istanbul. It isn't safe and Princess needs to pull out of Turkey all together.

"Hope you still go. You'll have a wonderful time!" No. We won't. We will stay on the ship - something I hate doing in any port. Istanbul is unlike any other cruise port right now. It is far too dangerous. Please stop encouraging cruisers to put their lives needlessly at risk. Just stop already.

I totally agree with you! I do not want to go anywhere where people want to kill me. :eek: :eek:

Tony

I totally agree with you! I do not want to go anywhere where people want to kill me. :eek: :eek:

Tony

Best stay at home then as it could happen anywhere. For example, just think of the places where incidents have taken place in the US in recent times.

Edited by Geoffa30

Tony

I agree. And there are plenty of places to go that do not have a US State Department travel warning. I will run out of time and/or money before I visit all of them.

To those so concerned about Princess's decision making process - Do Your REALLY Believe Princess wants to risk their SHIPS and CREW, let alone their PASSENGERS???? Do you REALLY believe that their insurance company will cover them if things look to risky??? If you have so little faith in Princess - perhaps you need to cruise with someone else - or maybe not cruise.

I personally experienced such a gnashing of teeth situation in the November following 9/11. We were scheduled on a cruise due to go through the Suez Canal enroute from Europe to Asia. Oh what whining and complaining occurred because the cruise line did not immediately cancel the cruise. Well, over half the passengers cancelled - LOSING ALL THEIR MONEY as it was past the cancellation date. Oh, so much more of an uproar. The cruise line asked us to give them time - but most would not.

Well, some faith in the cruise line really paid off. Those of us who hung in there were made an UNBELIEVABLE offer. First, those who either did not like the offer OR could not make the longer replacement cruise offered got every penny of their cruise fare back, reimbursement for airfair (with proof of payment) and even their money for the Visas we had purchased for India. Those of us who were able to cruise longer were offered a cruise 50% longer, had all "gratuities" covered, several thousand dollars back. There was also an option to disembark about 2/3rds of the way through the new cruise for what the rest of us were paid and perks received. We had a wonderful time - going around Africa with numerous stops on our way to Asia. (In the one month before we sailed, a very special offer was made to folks in the UK to join the ship later in November for a great price. Once they boarded the ship was about 2/3rds full.)