Small Gifts For Room Steward

I am of the inclination that any "gift" other than cash is really more self-serving than generous. It's people trying to believe that they are somehow more "special" or memorable than everyone else for whom that particular steward is or has worked for.

Cash, cash, and cash. No ifs, and, or buts.

In addition to a tip, do you ever bring anything from home to give your room steward?

Thank you

We actually do this from time to time, but it is normally snack type of stuff. Think about it, they live in small quarters and share their cabins with others, however it is nice for them to have special treats that they normally can't get on board, especially when they have to pay for them. We bring local treats, like GooGoo Clusters (we live in Nashville, TN), and girl scout cookies (if its that season) and things like that! :)

We just do extra cash in an envelope (old school tipping) in addition to the automatic tips. $10 or $20 above and beyond. We had one beverage server who was super attentive in the MDR and brought our requisite Manhattans automatically every night and had our drinks ready in the theater too. She was thrilled with the extra tip (we tipped on drinks at time of service) on the last night but she earned it.

The one time we did something in addition to extra cash was a small porcelain pin one of our M&M people designed and ordered for anyone wanting memento pins for out TA to Rome. Had all the ports around the outer edge, the sailing date and a picture of the Mariner OTS in the center. We bought some extra and gave one to our cabin steward. Someday he can look back at his seafaring days and remember the ship and some places he was at.

Cash is king!!

In addition to auto gratuities I give the cabin steward $30 the first time I see him or her and provide any special instructions with it, such as extra towels, ice, removal of items from mini fridge.

Maybe it's because I'm a little twisted, but I think there's a potty joke that fits this thread. It's probably just me though....

The one time we did something in addition to extra cash was a small porcelain pin one of our M&M people designed and ordered for anyone wanting memento pins for out TA to Rome. Had all the ports around the outer edge, the sailing date and a picture of the Mariner OTS in the center. We bought some extra and gave one to our cabin steward. Someday he can look back at his seafaring days and remember the ship and some places he was at.

Nice!

Have to say, one Easter cruise we had lots of candy and we were giving it out to various people who seemed to get a kick out of it. We had an odd room steward. I saw him in the hallway and offered him some candy: He looked at me like I had 3 heads, he may have even wanted to kill me!

As always, ymmv!

So let me get this straight - cash? That is the answer? I think that is what folks are trying to say here - so far I have read:

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

cash

Did I get it right?????

Have to say, one Easter cruise we had lots of candy and we were giving it out to various people who seemed to get a kick out of it. We had an odd room steward. I saw him in the hallway and offered him some candy: He looked at me like I had 3 heads, he may have even wanted to kill me!

As always, ymmv!

Now see, this is what ALL the stewards probably want to do...but they don't. They don't want to be rude for two reasons..1. Pax removing tips 2. Pax filing a complaint against them. SO, they are kind, but deep down they want to kill you. LOL....can you imagine if every pax on every cruise, gave them a candy bar/trinket? :D As said a million times, they want cash. No matter how many times a pax says "oh, but they greatly appreciated it." , well of course they acted as if they did. What else would they say or do? They don't want our junk. :D:D:D

They don't want our junk. :D:D:D

I imagine that most of the junk goes straight to the trash within 5 minutes of them receiving it :cool: It probably doesnt even make it back to their cabin :D

Edited by ryano

I know, since I work for MONEY, that if my boss were to give me "gifts" instead of pay, I'd be pissed!

Just give them money and be polite and that's plenty! Do you bring "gifts" for your hotel room housekeeper?

Did you actually read anywhere that they wanted to give a gift INSTEAD of leaving a tip or are you just making stuff up?

To the OP...most would probably prefer cash, but not always and not necessarily exclusively. You can always do what we do...if we see something we want to leave we do. If they don't want it or like it they can toss in the trash, give it away of leave it in the cabin.

I make it a practice never to let someone dictate to me what I give them. What they do with it is out of my control.

Here's an idea. If you are looking to get "rid" of your leftovers, aka....shampoo, candy, cookies, etc. etc etc....how about giving them to a child on one of the impoverished islands that we visit all the time. Now, I am sure they would greatly appreciate it and you can feel good about yourself at the same time. :eek:

We always give them those huge, large stuffed animals.

You can find them pretty cheap in some of the ports.

They seem to really like them.

LOL

Imagine 25 rooms, with 25 weeks contract (6months) and each room gave a gift from home. That would be 625 gifts! Guess a side business would be handy, when they are home and off their contract. Maybe even sell it back to tourist!

Did you actually read anywhere that they wanted to give a gift INSTEAD of leaving a tip or are you just making stuff up?

To the OP...most would probably prefer cash, but not always and not necessarily exclusively. You can always do what we do...if we see something we want to leave we do. If they don't want it or like it they can toss in the trash, give it away of leave it in the cabin.

I make it a practice never to let someone dictate to me what I give them. What they do with it is out of my control.

And all these years I thought gift giving was all about the OTHER person!:rolleyes:

I am of the inclination that any "gift" other than cash is really more self-serving than generous. It's people trying to believe that they are somehow more "special" or memorable than everyone else for whom that particular steward is or has worked for.

Cash, cash, and cash. No ifs, and, or buts.

BINGO! They don't want your junk, no matter how much you believe in your mind that they will love it. Cash will get you a happy and genuine response.

I would like to see someone carrying one of those giant bears on board, though. That would be hilarious.

We leave the extra tip envelope with our extra tip enclosed and our bottle of Champagne (we always get to many sent to our room) that we never opened. We also buy a bag of M&M (with the little bags inside) and leave a mound on the bed each night.

Our experience with the people that we have made friends with and kept in contact with over the years they have told us... there is limited time to get off the ship and therefore something sweet is always good. If they don't want it they can trade it for something else.

This is our experience with the people that we know and msg with on a frequent basis. Your experience may be different. JMHO

Here's an idea. If you are looking to get "rid" of your leftovers, aka....shampoo, candy, cookies, etc. etc etc....how about giving them to a child on one of the impoverished islands that we visit all the time. Now, I am sure they would greatly appreciate it and you can feel good about yourself at the same time. :eek:

But those people don't bring us unlimited food and drink.

Think of it this way. If you spend $10 on candy or a small gift, I'll bet the crew would much rather have the $10. They can send it home, spend it on shore, etc. Same with gift cards to a store. Now they have to get to the Walmart. Not easily done. As everyone says, CASH.

The exception, if you have anything left over like wine or beer, tell the room steward that he can take it. Then it's up to him or her whether or not they want it. If you're leaving it anyway, they appreciate a beer or bottle of wine. But I always tell them so they know it's being left for them.

Along with the prepaid tips we give $5US each evening at turn down time to our room steward. They are always thrilled and many of them tell me they use it to call home and talk to his/her spouse and kids. On the last day we give a little more. The only other thing we give them is if we hit St. Maarten we get a little 4 piece box of non-alcoholic Dutch chocolates.

When we are on a cruise where the ship goes to the same ports[Caribbean]we sometimes give the room steward a phone card and they are very happy to get that.

Yes, no offense but of course s/he is going to say thank you and act appreciative. They wouldn't want to offend you or jeopardize their tips. These days, I should think most people Skype or Facetime with loved ones rather than actually phoning. :)