Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread (Updated July 2016)

Andy

The Reflection has a cruise that leaves Dec. 31. I am wondering what the dress will be . I would think most would be more dressed than usual but as it is the first night of the cruise , some may be more casual. Do you think the evening chic would be the policy of Celebrity on that night ?

Women look great in tank tops. Men - not so much. No one wants to look at your hairy armpits :eek: - wear something with sleeves. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but for me, Brad Pitt would far overrule your objections!

Has anyone had experience with this new "dress code" on European sailings? We've typically found that more people dressed up more and are more likely to participate in formal nights on these sailings, which we still love! We'll be in Europe on the Reflection next summer, and I was planning on taking things appropriate for a couple "formal" nights (I always wear dresses and heels to dinner every night anyway), but we also don't want to feel too out of place.

Ugh - this really sounds more confusing than the old policy and seems to leave the door wide open for a number of various interpretations.

We just got back from the Summit to Bermuda that sailed on 31st July. First time with Celebrity. We ate in the Main Dining Room on 6 of 7 evenings. Our first cruise was with Holland America in the 90s. I am somewhat pleased with the seemingly more relaxed dress codes of "evening chic".

Our table was on the 4th floor of the Cosmopolitan, near the stairs so, closer to the entrance. Therefore I can only comment on what I observed in my immediate area and in public spaces in the evenings. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice everyone looked for all the evenings. I saw several tuxedos and white dinner jackets on Evening Chics. Ladies were in dresses of different lengths. Definitely lots of bling-y sandals and jewelry. Kids were neatly dressed, and mostly smartly dressed too. :)

I loved that the guidelines allowed me to wear a short cocktail dress to the formal nights versus a long dress but my girlfriend wore a long dress anyway. In general, I was pleased to see so many "nice-looking" people in the evenings. Maybe I'm just easy to please? :D

Has anyone had experience with this new "dress code" on European sailings? We've typically found that more people dressed up more and are more likely to participate in formal nights on these sailings, which we still love! We'll be in Europe on the Reflection next summer, and I was planning on taking things appropriate for a couple "formal" nights (I always wear dresses and heels to dinner every night anyway), but we also don't want to feel too out of place.

Ugh - this really sounds more confusing than the old policy and seems to leave the door wide open for a number of various interpretations.

The Eclipse has been doing Baltic cruises this summer and for Evening Chic nights a good number of people of men wore tux and ladies evening wera. However there were also people in ''Hawaiian" style shirts and jeans - t seems that anything reasonable goes.

The Eclipse has been doing Baltic cruises this summer and for Evening Chic nights a good number of people of men wore tux and ladies evening wera. However there were also people in ''Hawaiian" style shirts and jeans - t seems that anything reasonable goes.

Yikes - I guess that's were the degrees of interpretation vary. I can't say that a Hawaiian shirt and jeans would ever constitute Evening Chic on any level.

Yikes - I guess that's were the degrees of interpretation vary. I can't say that a Hawaiian shirt and jeans would ever constitute Evening Chic on any level.

Swing and a miss. No interruption required. Suggested MDR evening dress guidelines per Celebrity...

Q: What is the onboard dress code?

A: Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

Edited by davekathy

Sorry, call me a traditionalist, but IMO a Hawaiian shirt doesn't fit into "Evening Chic" in any ballpark, and certainly not within even the Celebrity definition, i.e., "dressier than Smart Casual."

Edited by Softball20

Sorry, call me a traditionalist, but IMO a Hawaiian shirt doesn't fit into "Evening Chic" in any ballpark, and certainly not within even the Celebrity definition, i.e., "dressier than Smart Casual."

You're still off base. IAW evening chic... "Button down shirt". So yes it is Celebrity's definition and the only one that matters. Hawaiian shirts or jeans on a cruise aren't my style. Those that wish to wear them power to them. We still dress formally on evening chic and don't care if we're the only two on the ship that do.

But a "button down" shirt is not the same as a shirt that buttons down the front. Even before Celebrity changed this dress code/suggestions, however, there were still those who stretched their definitions to the limits.

I do agree with you, however, that I still like to dress formally and will continue to do so.

But that's your definition. It does, in fact, fit into the Celebrity definition due to the phrase "you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way".

In other words Celebrity are saying that if you think a Hawaiian Shirt is "Evening chic" then it is.

In the end the only arbiter of what "Evening chic" actually means is the passenger themselves, so long as they don't wear the things that Celebrity explicitly excludes. Celebrity gives certain suggestions (e.g. button down shirt) but you are free to ignore them

Personally I think Hawaiian shorts are hideous and wouldn't classify them as even smart casual but I understand that others think differently and might even think they are "glamorous and sophisticated". Each to his or her own.

Personally I think Hawaiian shorts are hideous and wouldn't classify them as even smart casual but I understand that others think differently and might even think they are "glamorous and sophisticated". Each to his or her own.

There are tourist-inspired "Hawaiian Shirts," and there are more contemporary "Aloha Shirts." Try googling "Tori Richard." "Rix Island Wear," or "Reyn Spooner," to get a flavor of the upscale options.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but neither is a little polo player on a button-down shirt.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but neither is a little polo player on a button-down shirt.

Plenty of 'little polo player' shirts worn in the MDR. I find that it really does not bother me what others wear.....I am more interested in the person.

Plenty of 'little polo player' shirts worn in the MDR. I find that it really does not bother me what others wear.....I am more interested in the person.

And there is still a few here on CC that have an issue with others wearing jeans in the MDR even when Celebrity says go for it on any night. I don't get it! Well I actually do.

Edited by davekathy

Thanks for the imput on Celebrity's new dress code. We are taking the NE to Quebec fall cruise and not having to worry about packing appropriate formal night wear is a big relief. Since we have to pay for luggage on our airline this will be a savings!:)

Thanks for the imput on Celebrity's new dress code. We are taking the NE to Quebec fall cruise and not having to worry about packing appropriate formal night wear is a big relief. Since we have to pay for luggage on our airline this will be a savings!:)

Enjoy your Cruise and welcome to Cruise Critic.

We just got back from the Summit to Bermuda that sailed on 31st July. First time with Celebrity. We ate in the Main Dining Room on 6 of 7 evenings. Our first cruise was with Holland America in the 90s. I am somewhat pleased with the seemingly more relaxed dress codes of "evening chic".

Our table was on the 4th floor of the Cosmopolitan, near the stairs so, closer to the entrance. Therefore I can only comment on what I observed in my immediate area and in public spaces in the evenings. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice everyone looked for all the evenings. I saw several tuxedos and white dinner jackets on Evening Chics. Ladies were in dresses of different lengths. Definitely lots of bling-y sandals and jewelry. Kids were neatly dressed, and mostly smartly dressed too. :)

I loved that the guidelines allowed me to wear a short cocktail dress to the formal nights versus a long dress but my girlfriend wore a long dress anyway. In general, I was pleased to see so many "nice-looking" people in the evenings. Maybe I'm just easy to please? :D

You must have had previous misinformation resulting in your sense of new-found freedom to wear a cocktail dress: even when we sailed on Celebrity 10 years ago, a "cocktail dress" was approved as formal wear. Long gowns were not required. X, HAL, Princess, Carnival all included cocktail dresses on their list of acceptable formal/elegant night wear. But I am glad you enjoyed wearing your cocktail dress! I always did, too! :)

Just off the Summit August 7th cruise and saw 4 men in tuxes at the evening show on elegant chic night, 10 men in suits, about 15 percent of the men in sports jackets (most without ties) and 5 men in jeans. During the last evening in Blu, a 30 something couple were seated wearing shorts. Her shorts were really short shorts while his were knee length. They were both wearing t-shirts. They really looked out of place. I enjoyed the elegant chic dress code and would like to see it enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums