Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread (Updated July 2016)

Andy

The guidance is not meaningless. Most people do follow the guidelines. So they are not meaningless. From all reports and my own experience, they are effective, not pointless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, sorry, still can't see the point. If pax were stopped at the MDR door and asked to follow the guidelines i.e. no shorts etc., then fair enough, but as they were not, then no point giving guidelines in the first place. And there were definitely more pax wearing shorts by the time of the 3rd 'Chic Night'.

I do agree with you on the fact that pax do state it's their vacation and they'll wear want they want, when they want - therefore, why bother with the guidelines?

Some of us like go on vacation with well dressed fellow pax. If we did not, then we'd all go to Applebee's in our shorts & flip flops & watch the fights at the bar!

Now I think my question is what is "well dressed" and who is going to determined if a person is well dressed or not. I have been on many cruises where people thought they were well dress but in the eyes of others may not have been. Now what? Are they reported to reported to the fashion police and them banished to their cabin until they wear something that you, Celebrity or myself say puts them in the category well dressed.

I personally attend enough functions where evening gowns and after fives are required. I attend monthly meetings where business dress is required. I don't need a vacation to play dress up.

If dressing up is what a person needs then play dress up at home. Happy cruising.

Oh yes: What about the horrible sights we see around the pool. May we please start a petition to band ill fitting swim suits and over exposed/unsightly bodies. I would rather see a pair of jeans in the dining room any day then to be subjected to the unsightly mess around the pool. Which by the way is one of the reason I don't visit the pool area often.

"Some of us would like to go to the pool without being subjected to sure horrible sights."

We're just off Connie and on all three of our 'Chic' nights, shorts were worn in the MDR by several passengers. Now it doesn't matter to me what pax wear as it doesn't affect the taste of my food, however, my DH did take umbrage to the fact that people couldn't be bothered to dress for dinner (and before anyone states they could have just put them clean on, some of these were the same shorts and T-shirts we'd seen them in for the past 48 hours, and they hadn't lost their luggage :eek:). We also saw women walk into the buffet in bikinis with towels wrapped around their shoulders - no cover ups.

He did mention this to the CC Host, who said it's only a suggested code. My DH continued by stating he thought there was no point in printing a dress code if staff were unable to to say anything to the guests who didn't comply. As I mentioned above, I'm indifferent about the whole 'Chic' night debacle - he, on the other hand, was quite frustrated with the lack of regard/respect by other passengers to adhere to the guidelines - why book a line with a suggested dress code and then do the opposite.

So the question is: in their literature, should X bother to print the suggested dress code at all?

So this happened just the other day? Well I think the company has decided to be completely indifferent to it. If they are not even responding to a direct inquiry by a Pax; then its really up to the Pax to dress appropriately "in their own opinion". Where will it end? Dunno but the fact that the original poster here saw 4 pairs of shorts in the MD tells me the debate seems over. Dressing up for dinner is lovely but not everyone believes its something they want to do while on vacation or even for a single night. That's why I mentioned dinner at the Ruth Chris' the other night.. it is clearly stated in the policy but they allowed virtually everyone into the Saturday night dining room with one of the most exclusive views of the city. Its pervasive... everywhere and so why are we surprised its not being enforced on Celebrity.

I think the easiest thing for Celebrity and folks to push for is Chic/fine wear in the Pay-for- restaurants and be done with it.

No, sorry, still can't see the point. If pax were stopped at the MDR door and asked to follow the guidelines i.e. no shorts etc., then fair enough, but as they were not, then no point giving guidelines in the first place. And there were definitely more pax wearing shorts by the time of the 3rd 'Chic Night'.

I do agree with you on the fact that pax do state it's their vacation and they'll wear want they want, when they want - therefore, why bother with the guidelines?

The bottom line is that Celebrity provide guidelines because many people want them. It's like someone asking what they should wear on a shore excursion - what is the weather like, what are the cultural expectations etc. Most people want to be comfortable and not draw unwanted attention to themselves and that's why there are guidelines. Celebrity doesn't really care how they dress but if someone wants to know then the guidelines are there.

Now I think my question is what is "well dressed" and who is going to determined if a person is well dressed or not. I have been on many cruises where people thought they were well dress but in the eyes of others may not have been. Now what? Are they reported to reported to the fashion police and them banished to their cabin until they wear something that you, Celebrity or myself say puts them in the category well dressed.

I personally attend enough functions where evening gowns and after fives are required. I attend monthly meetings where business dress is required. I don't need a vacation to play dress up.

If dressing up is what a person needs then play dress up at home. Happy cruising.

Oh yes: What about the horrible sights we see around the pool. May we please start a petition to band ill fitting swim suits and over exposed/unsightly bodies. I would rather see a pair of jeans in the dining room any day then to be subjected to the unsightly mess around the pool. Which by the way is one of the reason I don't visit the pool area often.

"Some of us would like to go to the pool without being subjected to sure horrible sights."

You know, it really wasn't very long ago that dress codes were enforced without question and everyone looked great. Most people felt it was part of the cruise experience to dress up and look good. Food was better, service was better, activities were better, entertainment was better in fact the whole product was better and everyone, regardless of his cabin category felt they were having a quality experience. If anyone doesn't get the correlation of the "I don't care what anyone does" just give me a drink package mentality to many of these changes they are just kidding themselves. If the passengers don't care, why should the cruise line?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mourning the death of cruising but I'm not blind to the changes either. I'm fortunate to be a very frequent Celebrity cruiser and am always treated wonderfully so I suppose I really shouldn't care about the situation for others. There are also many changes that have been improvements and for quite a few years many of the old ways weren't really missed because there were new and different things to appreciate.

I know Celebrity isn't the only cruise line cutting quality recently and it's just the way it is. The suite life is a big improvement, but honestly, the experience for the average cruiser just isn't particularly special any more and can probably be had for less on some of the other cruise lines. I'm just glad we were around during the really good times.

It seems that the Celebrity doesn't really care to be a cut above any more and aren't really that interested in differentiating themselves from any other mass market cruise line.

It seems that the Celebrity doesn't really care to be a cut above any more and aren't really that interested in differentiating themselves from any other mass market cruise line.

I'm of the opinion that the overall cruise experience has actually improved over the past 15 years but I don't think I can argue with this part of your post. All the cruise lines are definitely becoming more homogenised. Based on recent experience I can't see a great deal of difference between Carnival, Royal and Celebrity.

My wife probably disagrees but only because she is such a fan of Blu.

The bottom line is that Celebrity provide guidelines because many people want them. It's like someone asking what they should wear on a shore excursion - what is the weather like, what are the cultural expectations etc. Most people want to be comfortable and not draw unwanted attention to themselves and that's why there are guidelines. Celebrity doesn't really care how they dress but if someone wants to know then the guidelines are there.

No, guidelines for shore excursions, weather etc, are issued because of the conditions a pax will endure during that activity - not so for eating - you can wear anything (or nothing for that matter if it's not in public) to eat ;). If you are residing at the Marriott, you don't see a guideline for dress when you are eating there.

Edited by villauk

You know, it really wasn't very long ago that dress codes were enforced without question and everyone looked great. Most people felt it was part of the cruise experience to dress up and look good. Food was better, service was better, activities were better, entertainment was better in fact the whole product was better and everyone, regardless of his cabin category felt they were having a quality experience. If anyone doesn't get the correlation of the "I don't care what anyone does" just give me a drink package mentality to many of these changes they are just kidding themselves. If the passengers don't care, why should the cruise line?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mourning the death of cruising but I'm not blind to the changes either. I'm fortunate to be a very frequent Celebrity cruiser and am always treated wonderfully so I suppose I really shouldn't care about the situation for others. There are also many changes that have been improvements and for quite a few years many of the old ways weren't really missed because there were new and different things to appreciate.

I know Celebrity isn't the only cruise line cutting quality recently and it's just the way it is. The suite life is a big improvement, but honestly, the experience for the average cruiser just isn't particularly special any more and can probably be had for less on some of the other cruise lines. I'm just glad we were around during the really good times.

Again, I ask who determines what looks greats and who does not. Just because a person does not fit into a cookie cutter mold of dressing for dinner does not mean he or she is not well dressed. I too was around during the good old days of cruising. My husband wore his tuxes, suits, and dinner jackets. I wore my evening gowns and cocktail dresses. I am not sure if others felt we were well dressed but we certainly did. Again this is a vacation not a fashion show or a runway. I for one am glad there has been changes. If I feel like dressing for dinner (long gown and all) I do. When I don't, I don't. When I don't I do not feel out of place not one bit because I am confident in who I am and know that clothes does not make the person.

As far as the "give me the drink package mentality, my husband nor I drink or smoke. We just choose not to tell others how to dress for dinner.

I welcome and embrace the changes and the cruise industries are making. Due to these changes more and more people are cruising. More people who tried it in the past and because of the elitist attitudes of many on board did not return are now coming back to cruising.

As I said earlier I have seen far worst sights at the pool. Someone in jeans and a tee at dinner with a friendly attitude and wonderful smile is a welcome sight anytime, anywhere.

Happy cruising to all :D

Again, I ask who determines what looks greats and who does not. Just because a person does not fit into a cookie cutter mold of dressing for dinner does not mean he or she is not well dressed. I too was around during the good old days of cruising. My husband wore his tuxes, suits, and dinner jackets. I wore my evening gowns and cocktail dresses. I am not sure if others felt we were well dressed but we certainly did. Again this is a vacation not a fashion show or a runway. I for one am glad there has been changes. If I feel like dressing for dinner (long gown and all) I do. When I don't, I don't. When I don't I do not feel out of place not one bit because I am confident in who I am and know that clothes does not make the person.

As far as the "give me the drink package mentality, my husband nor I drink or smoke. We just choose not to tell others how to dress for dinner.

I welcome and embrace the changes and the cruise industries are making. Due to these changes more and more people are cruising. More people who tried it in the past and because of the elitist attitudes of many on board did not return are now coming back to cruising.

As I said earlier I have seen far worst sights at the pool. Someone in jeans and a tee at dinner with a friendly attitude and wonderful smile is a welcome sight anytime, anywhere.

My comments relate to differences on Celebrity ships. In your experience, what are the recent changes and improvements in the Celebrity product?

We were just on the Summit and were very surprised that on Chic night and woman was allowed into Blu in shorts and flip flops. Her two table mates meanwhile were beautifully dressed. The Maitre d should not have allowed her in the dining room. If you don't want to get dressed for dinner that's all well and good, but then go have dinner in the buffet. I'm one of those people who loves getting dressed for formal night. I'd love to see that come back. Gone are the days of elegance during travel. Oh well cest la vie I guess.

Edited by colombiangirl

We were just on the Summit and were very surprised that on Chic night and woman was allowed into Blu in shorts and flip flops. Her two table mates meanwhile were beautifully dressed. The Maitre d should not have allowed her in the dining room. If you don't want to get dressed for dinner that's all well and good, but then go have dinner in the buffet. I'm one of those people who loves getting dressed for formal night. I'd love to see that come back. Gone are the days of elegance during travel. Oh well cest la vie I guess.

Oh, the scandal of it. That must be the worst thing you ever witnessed. The end of civilization as we know it. [emoji317]

Edited by Charles4515

Oh, the scandal of it. That must be the worst thing you ever witnessed. The end of civilization as we know it. [emoji317]

Charles4515, I am having so much trouble controlling the gurgling sounds that are showing signs of erupting from my mouth, thanks to your comment...:D :D :D (telling myself, "Remember Bambi. Remember Bambi.").... PS - Most of my group ended up enjoying dressing up a bit for dinner in the MDR even though we are very casual dressers in "real life". LOL!!

Edited by Dreamer68
Found answer

Expressing MY opinion Charles!!!! No need for sarcasm.

We agree with you completely. We enjoy the opportunity to dress formally; but there is no need to denigrate those who choose an option other than yours.

We agree with you completely. We enjoy the opportunity to dress formally; but there is no need to denigrate those who choose an option other than yours.

Agreed. Why can't people just express their own opinions, without the need to be insulting to others? Hiding behind screen names it's too easy to be mean.

Wonderful post.

Phoenix, I am not being insulting or anything else for that matter. Again, expressing an opinion. If the cruise lines set a dress code then it should be enforced all over the ship. Why is it ok to walk into a formal dining room in shorts and flip flops on chic night yet not ok to walk through the buffet in a bathing suit? Yes, I saw it happen! The person was not eating, just walking through to get to the aft elevator and were told they could not. There are nights on board that I don't want to get dressed for dinner, those nights I'd eat in the buffet, Bistro on Five or order room service. Yes, I enjoy getting dressed for dinner but when I don't I follow guidelines. That's it!

Phoenix, I am not being insulting or anything else for that matter. Again, expressing an opinion. If the cruise lines set a dress code then it should be enforced all over the ship. Why is it ok to walk into a formal dining room in shorts and flip flops on chic night yet not ok to walk through the buffet in a bathing suit? Yes, I saw it happen! The person was not eating, just walking through to get to the aft elevator and were told they could not. There are nights on board that I don't want to get dressed for dinner, those nights I'd eat in the buffet, Bistro on Five or order room service. Yes, I enjoy getting dressed for dinner but when I don't I follow guidelines. That's it!

Have you expressed your opinion to the staff at the entrance to MDR for not enforcing the suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evenings? Have you expressed your opinion on your Post Cruise Survey because the staff is not enforcing the suggested dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening?

@davekathy....I had a bunch of issues with our cruise and I certainly did. I filled out the comment card, spoke with guest services on board, followed up with an email and letters to corporate. Most of our issues were food related. We sailed Summit 2 years ago, same cabin and itinerary and everything was amazing. It's incredible how in 2 years so many things have changed. Next year we are switching to Oceania in hopes of finding better food. My husband and I are both in the hospitality industry and are more critical than most. Even my parents, who have sailed Celebrity about 15 or so times have noticed a huge decline. They also are looking for a change to the luxury lines in search of better food.

@davekathy....I had a bunch of issues with our cruise and I certainly did. I filled out the comment card, spoke with guest services on board, followed up with an email and letters to corporate. Most of our issues were food related. We sailed Summit 2 years ago, same cabin and itinerary and everything was amazing. It's incredible how in 2 years so many things have changed. Next year we are switching to Oceania in hopes of finding better food. My husband and I are both in the hospitality industry and are more critical than most. Even my parents, who have sailed Celebrity about 15 or so times have noticed a huge decline. They also are looking for a change to the luxury lines in search of better food.

Varity is the spice of life...Bon Voyage.

Off the dress code topic for a bit (YAY!) - we tried Oceania last year. Not so much because we were tired of Celebrity or had an issue with the food, but because the itinerary was really cool and we kind of wanted to see if it was going to be that much better than the mass market lines to justify the significant difference in cost. We are foodies, and because Oceania has such a good reputation, we were really excited to see how it was. Honestly - it was very good, but I didn't find it really any better than what we've had on Celebrity, especially to justify the difference. Our last few Celebrity sailings have been in Blu, so I haven't been in the MDR for a while. We didn't have bad food on Oceania at all, but I just didn't find it to be so much better or different, especially after all we had heard about their reputation for good food. We came away from it thinking that we were glad we tried it, but it was a one and done for us. For what we paid for that cruise, we could go on two Celebrity sailings. Just my two cents.

Y'all can go back to discussing the dress code :)

Sorry, I feel that flip flops & shorts are also NOT acceptable in the rest. during dinner. I'd also comment to the Maître D about lack of enforcement of at least a rudimentary dress code. Show me where it is "suggested" that shorts & such are not acceptable in the MDR at night. It simply says shorts are NOT acceptable in the MDR at dinner time.

I wouldn't fret over being "late to the ball." If you want to dress to the nines, I say, do it! No reason why not -- Celebrity, as you see, encourages you to glam yourself up as much as you like! We have been cruising for 10 years and have almost always been overdressed, compared to the average cruiser. We love it! :rolleyes:

We cruise Celebrity at least once a year--I enjoy dressing up as living in FL, no one dresses for anything. We bought a tux for DH several trips ago and I find a dress for both nights BUT I will say that in January on the Western Caribbean itinerary, DH was one of few in a tux. I may quit torturing him lol. But I say, be yourself, obey the open standards, look nice and no one will care. I have friends who NEVER set foot in MDR because they want to be uber casual the entire trip. The beautiful thing about cruising is it's your thing!

We are off on a Celebrity cruise next week and are looking forward to it.We were both disappointed with the change last November to "Evening Chic" rather than the formal evenings previously . We both enjoy the chance to dress up , it is only for three evenings out of a 14 night cruise and we could use other eating venues it we did not wish to go "formal ". We are still taking our formal evening wear and will enjoy the evenings. This change to Celebrity's format gives the cruise line the opportunity to dumb down further the quality of the product . With more passengers taking less bother to make some evenings special it does relieve Celebrity of the necessity to follow suit. I know that there is a general move towards casual eating but I am of the old school which says ,"this is a pity".