Celebrity Dress Code Discussion Thread (Updated July 2016)

Andy

@shipsdoc46.....I think you hit the nail on the head. I totally agree, it's a pity! I too am old school.

Though the world seems to be getting taking over by the "Onslows", I think there's still enough of us with sense of style to keep things looking pretty decent for a few more years. I'll admit I was impressed by the dress of the teenagers on our Feb. Regal Princess cruise. Most were FAR better dressed than their parents. Obviously, some of this was to attract the attentions of the young ladies(or boys for that fact)

Let me see if I've got this right. On Smart Casual nights I can wear a long sleeved shirt with or without a jacket, and trousers. On Evening Chic I can wear a long sleeved shirt with or without a jacket, and trousers. So that's all clear then.

My question is what if I wear my evening chic shirt and trousers on a Smart Casual night or vice versa ? Will anyone notice? Will anyone care? What if I've forgotten which is which? Should I get a badge to wear to indicate which outfit I am in?

It's far easier for my wife. For Smart Casual she can wear trousers and a blouse and for Evening Chic she can wear trousers and a blouse. Like I said, so much clearer for the women.

Have I missed something here?

Let me see if I've got this right. On Smart Casual nights I can wear a long sleeved shirt with or without a jacket, and trousers. On Evening Chic I can wear a long sleeved shirt with or without a jacket, and trousers. So that's all clear then.

My question is what if I wear my evening chic shirt and trousers on a Smart Casual night or vice versa ? Will anyone notice? Will anyone care? What if I've forgotten which is which? Should I get a badge to wear to indicate which outfit I am in?

It's far easier for my wife. For Smart Casual she can wear trousers and a blouse and for Evening Chic she can wear trousers and a blouse. Like I said, so much clearer for the women.

Have I missed something here?

Seems about right. Forget about the badge.... wear bright clothes.

Not a fan of Celebrity dumbing down the dress code for so called Chic nights. Jeans have no place in a high class restaurant even if they are called designer.

Does that mean I cannot go into the restaurant in my £12 supermarket jeans but must wear something like Calvin Klein?

I have not worn Tux etc. on Celebrity formal nights but always dressed in suit & tie but wont bother now. Shame. Hope its not a slippery slope! Will see as on Eclipse this Oct.

Not a fan of Celebrity dumbing down the dress code for so called Chic nights. Jeans have no place in a high class restaurant even if they are called designer.

Does that mean I cannot go into the restaurant in my £12 supermarket jeans but must wear something like Calvin Klein?

I have not worn Tux etc. on Celebrity formal nights but always dressed in suit & tie but wont bother now. Shame. Hope its not a slippery slope! Will see as on Eclipse this Oct.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. We did a 14 night Caribbean Cruise on the Eclipse April 2016. We elected to dress formally on Evening Chic nights. Why, because that's what we chose to do and we don't concern ourselves with what others elected to wear. If you like wearing a suit then do so. What does it matter what others might be wearing? You just might be surprised how many on your Cruise may still be dressing formally on Evening Chic. Kick and scream all you want but those that elect to wear jeans are doing so IAW Celebrity's published guidelines. BTW we had early traditional dining in the MDR and on our Cruise the Maitre D would not allow shorts in the MDR after the first evening. He stopped me the first night as I was leaving the MDR and very politely and quietly advised me I would not be allowed in the MDR in the evening with shorts on for the remainder of the Cruise. No problem I didn't plan on it anyway. We saw him stop and wouldn't allow an older guy one evening and a teenager another evening from entering the MDR because they were wearing shorts.

Edited by davekathy
f

Just booked our first Celebrity cruise, a transatlantic reposition in 2017, so thought I'd do a bit of homework on dress code and came across this thread :eek:

Anyone know if Evening Chic nights are likely to be any more or less "traditional" than other Celebrity cruises ? The only transatlantic crossing we've been on previously was with RC last year when we were surprised how many black ties / evening gowns were on show.

To kilt or not to kilt, that is the question :D

Just booked our first Celebrity cruise, a transatlantic reposition in 2017, so thought I'd do a bit of homework on dress code and came across this thread :eek:

Anyone know if Evening Chic nights are likely to be any more or less "traditional" than other Celebrity cruises ? The only transatlantic crossing we've been on previously was with RC last year when we were surprised how many black ties / evening gowns were on show.

We just got back from our 14-night Baltic cruise on the Silhouette. Compared to our one previous Celebrity cruise (2 years ago on the Millennium to Asia), there were certainly fewer people dressed fancy (jackets, ties, tuxes, etc) on this one. Which is just fine by me (packing light for almost 3 weeks away from home is a big enough challenge without having to bring a jacket and dress shoes too).

Some people still dressed up the old way (maybe 30%). But most men were just in dress shirts and slacks (including us). No pressure or fuss this way. Those that want to dress to the nines still can (and show up the rest of the room if they want), but now those that don't want to don't have to. The Chic nights still had a more upscale look (on average) than a regular smart casual night, but not by a whole lot now. They still have the photographers running around taking pictures on Chic nights (which I suspect was the biggest reason for pushing formal nights in the first place -- to sell photos).

Didn't see anyone in shorts, or ratty jeans. Which is good. Those shouldn't be allowed into the MDR on any night. You'll blend in fine if you just want to bring a pair of dress slacks and a dress shirt. I opt for black shoes, but not dress shoes. All-black trainers make for a good all-in-one cruise shoe (comfortable enough for general use but they blend in sufficiently for MDR use).

Kilt it!! Oh most definitely. :D

Just back from 12 nights on the Cebrity Eclipse to the Baltic & Russia. There were four in our party. My sister & I wore evening gowns on the two Evening Chic nights, Hubby wore jacket & bow tie, her hubby a suit. We dressed up nearly every night as we normally ate in the MDR (Moonlight Sonata). Most people that we could see wore smart casual on those nights we didn't see many jeans and on the Evening Chic quite a lot in gowns, suits with bow ties or tuxs. Couldn't tell you what percentage. Did see one man turned away from the MDR when he came down in shorts on one of the smart casual nights. Saw him returning later in trousers.

As this was our first cruise myself and my sister wanted to dress up and we were glad we bought the gowns with us. We had a great time, food was excellent as was the service. We meet up with some our cruise critic members from our Roll Call which was lovely as we had organised taxis and tours together. There was a lovely atmosphere on board. Hoping now to book another cruise perhaps in the Mediterranean.

Edited by purdo

Is Celebrity making a mistake in changing from the formal night to the current evening chic .

I personally approved of dressing up for the evening meal.

Everybody knew where they stood

Before I discovered the joys of cruising one of the things that put me off was the dressing up. It didn't take long for me to appreciate that the dressing for dinner was one of the highlights and with everyone looking smart dinner times were elevated to 'an event'. Sadly, being in a dinner suit next to someone in 'designer jeans' and shirt will just feel so uncomfortable I guess we're destined for the self service on 'Chic nights'!

We are on a 15 night Panama Canal cruise soon.....I have collected about 20 long gowns cruising over the years and I really don't have anywhere else to wear them. Will I be alone in wearing a long gown or look crazy overdressed on Evening Chic night? Hoping to still get some use out of the gowns. Thanks!!

We are on a 15 night Panama Canal cruise soon.....I have collected about 20 long gowns cruising over the years and I really don't have anywhere else to wear them. Will I be alone in wearing a long gown or look crazy overdressed on Evening Chic night? Hoping to still get some use out of the gowns. Thanks!!

Absolutely not! I still wear my Tux and my Bride get's all dolled up too. There are still some of us who dress up and others who have went to a suit and tie.....and then some who wear what they like. It is a changing time but I am hoping that it changes slowly.

Cheers!:D

I promised myself I would not comment again on the topic of "to dress up or not to dress up" for the MDR and on formal/chic night but I needed to share this. I have several swimwear cover up outfits but one in particular consist of a pair pants with a little sparkle in the material and a very colorful top. Never the less it is swimwear cover up. One late afternoon I changed into this outfit with a swin suit under it of course and headed to the spa. Along the way I was stop by serveral ladies both young and seasoned who loved my outfit of choice for formal/dress up night. One even commented on how early I was dressed for dinner and checked her watch.

In the eyes of each of these ladies I was dressed to the nines for dinner. Not, I was dressed for a relaxing late afternoon at the spa. And yes, on another cruise wore this coverup outfit with swimsuit underneath to the MDR just to see if I could get in and yes I got in and received compliments on my WONDERFUL sense of style (lol).

Again who determines if someone is dressed up or appropriately dressed? Hopefully not any of these ladies or we will be in swimwear. I say wear what makes you feel comfortable, pretty, handsome, happy, and/or relaxed. It's your vacation not mine.

Now if anyone would care to write me a check or hand over a credit card for my upcoming cruises, I will gladly pull out the formal/after five wear and dress to the nines and dress your way. Until then it's all about me.

As always, happy cruising to all.

I promised myself I would not comment again on the topic of "to dress up or not to dress up" for the MDR and on formal/chic night but I needed to share this. I have several swimwear cover up outfits but one in particular consist of a pair pants with a little sparkle in the material and a very colorful top. Never the less it is swimwear cover up. One late afternoon I changed into this outfit with a swin suit under it of course and headed to the spa. Along the way I was stop by serveral ladies both young and seasoned who loved my outfit of choice for formal/dress up night. One even commented on how early I was dressed for dinner and checked her watch.

In the eyes of each of these ladies I was dressed to the nines for dinner. Not, I was dressed for a relaxing late afternoon at the spa. And yes, on another cruise wore this coverup outfit with swimsuit underneath to the MDR just to see if I could get in and yes I got in and received compliments on my WONDERFUL sense of style (lol).

Again who determines if someone is dressed up or appropriately dressed? Hopefully not any of these ladies or we will be in swimwear. I say wear what makes you feel comfortable, pretty, handsome, happy, and/or relaxed. It's your vacation not mine.

Now if anyone would care to write me a check or hand over a credit card for my upcoming cruises, I will gladly pull out the formal/after five wear and dress to the nines and dress your way. Until then it's all about me.

As always, happy cruising to all.

LOL!

"Until then it's all about me."

Sadly, that sums up so many peoples attitudes. Perhaps it's time to be rather less selfish and to think about others a little more. That way we all get on a lot better - especially in the confines of a cruise ship.

I'm not sure I understand: Are you saying that slobs should change to make the well-dressed happier? And that would make them less selfish?

How about the alternative, with the well-appointed dressing down to make the slobs feel more comfortable? Would that make the nattily-attired less selfish?

LOL!

I'm not sure I understand: Are you saying that slobs should change to make the well-dressed happier? And that would make them less selfish?

How about the alternative, with the well-appointed dressing down to make the slobs feel more comfortable? Would that make the nattily-attired less selfish?

I think what I said was quite clear. If you want to be a slob cruise elsewhere.