LIVE - Koningsdam July 3 - July 17 Norway B2B

sldispatcher

Sidispatcher

Thank you so much for your thorough, balanced , and at times humorous review . I will be boarding Koingsdam on July 31 for the 7 day Vikings cruise and can hardly wait. It is so nice to read a review that keeps in mind that this is a vacation and the little things that do go wrong are usually trivial. You have given out some great suggestions. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I look forward to reading even though I will not be going to the ports you are visiting now. Just cruising along vicariously..

Linda

Evening Report – Cloudy with a Chance of Trolls

1024pm

6 minutes left for final call at Alesund.

Today started out misty again with a few sprinkles, it ended overcast with a chance of trolls.

An 8 hour tour via Viator on the Troll Road turned out to be a great one. Anita led us on adventure into the land of trolls, strawberries, and glacial valleys. Personally, I am not one to tell all things so I would say that this was money well worth spent. Great lunch included, plenty of restroom stops, not overbooked, etc. All of the components you want in a non-ship excursion. I guarantee you will see trolls along the way.

There is so much to do in Alesund, that it is worth more than one trip. The downtown area is very strollable from the ship with shops, etc.

Tonight was dinner at the Culinary Arts Center. I have to admit that I have been skeptical and judgmental towards that dinner. Putting on my big boy pants, I will reverse my earlier criticism over the cost and concern. This venue is going to require word of mouth to grow. However, it is NOT for everyone. Do not take someone in there with you that is not much in the mood for a food adventure. Do not take someone in there that considers salt or pepper one of the basic food groups.

The portions add up in that place so do not be dismayed if you think you are getting cheated. You are not. Of the remaining days, they are sold out for 2 of them. I am pulling for them to succeed with this venue as it would, if they are able to do so, add a needed additional specialty dining option across the fleet. I say “needed” from my perspective.

Sitting on the balcony we have the unfortunate situation of someone using their balcony as a smoker’s paradise directly above. This writer will be glad to get moving and let the air move that odor away.

Tomorrow is Geiranger and a private tour this time around. As the tenders begin at 7am, I am hoping we will not have much traffic ahead of us at 9am when we need to depart the ship. If needed, one of our travelers should be able to help pull rank on getting us tender tickets.

Hope all of you are doing well and busy planning your own trips or getting close to taking your own.

Again, if you have traveled with Celebrity and comfortable with that brand, you will feel right at home with the Koningsdam. If you are used to Statendam, you will have some changes in store, but with the right homework and attitude, you will find it a pleasant change up in the options for the HAL brand.

They are getting a lot more right than they are getting wrong.

And I’m not even trying to troll this thread.

Sldispatcher,

We have a 12 day cruise booked on Koningsdam in September. Your reviews are causing us to look forward to the cruise with great anticipation! Thank you for the effort it takes to keep posting your observations.

Kev99

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Geiranger – Mid day report

Did you know everyone else knows about Geiranger?

Quick hits. Beautiful place, but cloud deck about 2000 feet so obscuring mountain tops.

I did NOT like the service with Geiranger Taxi…

1. Had to hunt them down. She stated “too many people were getting off the tenders”.

2. Driver, from Greece no less, did zero narration. Guess I should learn my lesson about hiring private bus/always need to make sure that a GUIDE is included.

3. Spent 1 hour driving us right into the clouds to Mt. Dalsnibba where you couldn’t see the hand in front of your face. Pitiful.

I won’t ever recommend Geiranger Taxi to anyone.

Ship, is unfortunately determined to repeat the 7 day menu rotation in spite of selling it as a 14 day trip. So we are struggling tonight with even dealing with the MDR.

Some more good things about Koningsdam as promised.

1. Best French fries at sea in the Lido.

2. Entertainment is being varied as far as the non-production shows, so that is a good thing.

3. Cabin stewards work around the clock it seems.

4. Generally good attitudes with the ship’s crew in various areas.

5. Verandah chairs are quite comfortable.

6. Overhang on back deck is better than on many other ships.

7. Pasta station in Lido is very popular with the group in terms of quality of sauces and the prep.

IF I were to look at this cruise and series of ports, I would prefer a true 14 day roundtrip. Not of the B2B variety.

We shall be sailing away soon.

Geiranger – Mid day report

Ship, is unfortunately determined to repeat the 7 day menu rotation in spite of selling it as a 14 day trip. So we are struggling tonight with even dealing with the MDR.

The rotation is to help people like me who struggle to decide between menu items. The second week, we get to try the one we passed on the first week! :)

Evening Report – Speechless

Sailing away from Geiranger is priceless. It will leave you speechless. It is a top 3 sail away for me in my life for sheer drama. Although the village is quaint with little in the way of variety of activities, the view from the aft balconies was simply stunning.

The mountains disappeared into an overcast layer of light grey and dark white clouds with ruffled bottoms. They would change shape as they clung to the sheer granite walls and cliffs. Any one of the numerous nameless waterfalls along with the more famous ones would have their own dedicated national park back home. Here, they cascade, drip, fall, rush, and coalesce into magnificent torrents of white, glittering threads. Some take brief refuge in steep crags and canyons while others drop from perilous heights into an almost fine mist before forming an active stream again.

It will leave you speechless.

Tonight, we bypassed the repeated dinner in the MDR and went straight to the Lido following the sail away. This turned out to be a wise decision based on the incredible views we were treated to continuing along the path out of the fjordland. Red barns, white house, stone foundations and green grass would form a small village. One had a simple steepled church perched 300 meters above the cold steel waters. Along the banks, a simple home with no obvious way to get there would be near the water or seemingly planted high along the cliffs. One could only dream of spending a night or two in such a location with a warm fire and a bowl of soup.

Meanwhile, we made quick work enjoying some of the fine things on the Lido. The Indian cuisine seemed to draw lots of attention from passengers, but that has limited appeal to myself. The pan seared cod was my personal favorite. Overall, there was quite a bit of energy and attendance in the Lido tonight.

The show, which was not clearly explained in the Navigator as to what to expect, turned out to be a multi-talented musician and entertainer, Davie Howies. He played the piano as though it was a fireworks show. He sang, showed his artwork and even played a walker. Yes, a 4 point walker…twice..as percussion and horn instrument. The band was also given a chance to show off their array of talents. And as if I can’t say it enough, the stage lighting and LED screen just really are used extremely well by the World Stage staff.

His talents left us speechless.

Somewhere through this process this report becomes less about the Koningsdam and more about the Norwegian fjordland experience. I am not certain which is more important to anyone reading this thread.

One aspect of a worthy ship is when it becomes less the featured item of the vacation and more of the vessel by which you call home as you travel along to enjoy your vacation experience.

Give Koningsdam the chance to be your home. It may not be everything as you would have designed it, but at the end of the day, you will be glad to see it.

Much like trolls, who when they get exposed to the sun and turn to stone, the irritating things with the Koningsdam turn from bothers to quirks when exposed to one’s good nature.

If jaw dropping views, good food, comfortable and quiet accommodations, and talented performers cannot bring you to enjoy your overall experience, then there will be nothing any ship of any cruise line can do that will make your journey complete.

For anyone bent in that direction, we would be fine if you remained……

..speechless.

Evening Report – Speechless

Much like trolls, who when they get exposed to the sun and turn to stone, the irritating things with the Koningsdam turn from bothers to quirks when exposed to one’s good nature.

Beautifully said!

I have done the same itinerary 4 weeks ago (on the Rotterdam) and your texts are bringing a lot of memories back. Thank you for your descriptions which express my exact impressions in a way that my broken english was unable to do.

Do not miss the final stretch of the sail away from Bergen. Several (oh, so many) notches below Geiranger, but still a notable surprise.

Edited by vagporto

Wonderful reports on the K and the ports of call - thank you for sharing your experiences! We will be in an aft suite on the K and visiting the fjords on the Z so I am doubly interested in your thread.

Totally agree with you on views and the Koningsdam. We were on the May 29 two week Fjords and Midnight sun and were also blessed by having a aft facing balcony. The location is priceless, especially on the Fjords itinerary. I posted a good review, highly recommending the ship. Chance can be hard to accept sometimes, but I think they did a lot of stuff right and would certainly sail the ship again.

Bergen Mid Day – Deli Dallying Around

Two of us decided to skip Bergen touring as we had been here before. We desired a down day. As has been the case in several stops, the ship was mostly empty when we finally stirred around.

Today, for a little variety, the New York Deli & Pizza was chosen for lunch. The club sandwich was artfully prepared with perfectly toasted bread, quality meat that was not too dry. Pizzas were lapped up as well.

The panna cotta was especially light and melted in your mouth.

If looking for an alternative, I can highly recommend the NY Deli & Pizza. Hope this makes it onto other HAL ships as well as I believe it could grow in popularity.

Tonight will feature the nice sail away from Bergen. I remember the bridge and the interesting industry sites before. Then, it will be dinner in the Pinnacle Grill.

New found idiots are also onboard feeding gulls from the deck 9 balcony as well as their room on deck 6 aft. Oh well. Again, you get more of these types when picking 7 day itineraries. It’s not to say I am better than they are, but obviously more considerate.

Today, for a little variety, the New York Deli & Pizza was chosen for lunch. The club sandwich was artfully prepared with perfectly toasted bread, quality meat that was not too dry. Pizzas were lapped up as well.

If looking for an alternative, I can highly recommend the NY Deli & Pizza. Hope this makes it onto other HAL ships as well as I believe it could grow in popularity.

For those of us missing the made to order sandwich station...could this be an alternative or are the sandwiches pre-made here as well?

Enjoy your sailaway!

Here is a helpful hint for going to/from the World Stage.

Use the 2nd floor. And especially veer left between the billboard/dueling piano lounge and stair case. You will think you are going into a forbidden corridor (you are not).

The right side of the World Stage fills up much faster than the left because of the flow patterns of the decks.

Also, leaving World Stage is much easier on deck 2 leaving the same way you came in. 80% of the folks leave going up and out onto deck 3.

New found idiots are also onboard feeding gulls from the deck 9 balcony as well as their room on deck 6 aft. Oh well. Again, you get more of these types when picking 7 day itineraries. It’s not to say I am better than they are, but obviously more considerate.

I think that may be a little bit harsh, as there are lots of people who aren't aware of the potential downside of feeding them. Feeding the ducks-swans-seagulls-pigeons is an activity that people have engaged in for years and have been encouraged as children to do so. I certainly fed the gulls while growing up on the coasts of England and then Canada and I seldom go for a hike today without a baggie filled with sunflower seeds to feed the chickadees. :)

Night Time Report – I lost my Dinosaur

The show in World Stage was same production, different name from last week so we exited gracefully and quietly after 30 seconds. It did not have anything to do with the lack of skill of the performers or execution of the show.

Pinnacle grill was very good again (can’t give it a “great” as long as they use less than prime cuts of beef) and we all seemed to fill up sooner this time in spite of lighter lunches.

Turns out, we have a gracious invitation to join some other travelers tomorrow in the same venue for lunch so we will do so. Lunch is a real treat in there and I actually think it may be better than the dinner.

As our plans will take us to visit elsewhere in Europe for the next week, we are only closing in on the end of the cruise portion of the vacation. Like many, I have come very accustomed to life onboard and now will miss so many of the components of what makes up a positive at sea experience.

I cannot say enough about so many of the good things that Koningsdam brings to the HAL brand in terms of onboard life and enhancements. We all in the cruise critic world have to admit that the sea faring life of 10 – 15 years ago is not the same as what it is today. As is often the case, we tend to remember distant things with more romanticism than reality. Just 12 years ago I was quite fearful I had made a mistake of booking HAL’s Amsterdam in the Caribbean for 12 nights based on critical reviews of how HAL had spiraled downward in food quality and service. The experience was so “bad” I went of 3 more subsequent HAL cruises. ;)

So here comes Koningsdam and the world has come to an end for some people as though a viral plague has been introduced to a cruise line. I can see where some of their concerns are justified as I have expressed more than my fair share in this thread. Looking back, a good portion of those were simply because my expectations based on past experiences were not met. In fairness, several new experiences really shocked me in a positive way and hope I was able to convey those in a proper manner through words.

Traditions are such a difficult thing to change. Even bad ones are clung to fiercely. I still miss the Yum Yum man and the ringing of the dinner bell. However, I would fight fiercely for my anytime dining. The two do not coexist well. In the past few years my work world has been turned on its head more than once. I could either adapt or sit in a mud puddle and cry.

This trip on the “King” really sharpened my reflections to realize how much we, as passengers, play a role in what star rating the ship turns out to be. The better my attitude got, the higher the ship rating achieved. Guess what? They didn’t redecorate the K’s roomy cabins. They didn’t even change the dining room menus from week to week! Essentially the ship stayed the same while the change was in me. New ship meant I needed to redefine what HAL meant for me.

The truth of the matter is that Koningsdam represents more of an evolution of a brand and not so much a revolution. It has to happen to some extent in the constantly changing world of premium brand mass market cruising. To do so means we will have choice and competition for many years to come.

Remember what happened to the dinosaurs…..

There are made to order sandwich stations in the Lido. Just consider it specialty sandwiches with featured meats of the day along with paninis.

But yes, you could consider the NY Deli & Pizza a made to order sandwich station.

Thank you! Enjoy the rest of your trip!