Best hotel to stay in overnight before cruise from Southampton ??

Next sept is our first Royal carribean cruise and we are embarking at Southampton , lots of people advise to stay the night before, but as we have never been to Southampton before we have no idea of where to book, or how far in advance it would need to be booked

Any help great fully appreciated thanks lesley X

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I like the Premier Inn Southampton West Quay. While you can reserve a room right at one year out, I found it best to wait for one of Premier Inn's national sales and have booked about 9 months out. While they will offer the absolute best rate for pre-paid reservations, the cancel anytime was just a few pounds more.

We stayed the night before at the Premier Inn WQ.

We "timed" the journey to the pier by walking back and forth, and found out that we can pass through the HI parking, and from check in to pier it was an easy walk of 10 min. But, it was not raining....

Value for money, free wi-fi, b'fast included, and since we arrived on a Sunday afternoon for a cruise (Anthem) leaving on Monday morning, we reserved dinner at the hotel, which was more than satisfactory.

Smith for airports picked us at our London hotel and, at the end of the cruise, transferred us to Heathrow at a very competitive price. Both ways - private transfer

You have Novotel, Ibis, Premier Inn, Travelodge, Grand Harbour and Holiday Inn all "opposite" city terminal.

We've stayed in Grand Harbour and Novotel both were very good.

Have a look at the prices for all of the above and see which works best for you.

All are within walking distance but it is a busy main road in between.

There's a huge shopping centre behind the hotels called West Quay. Between the shopping centre, hotels, local bars and restaurants there are lots of opportunities for dinner and breakfast.

Wherever you book put a special request in for a dock view. It's brilliant to look out in the morning and see your ship.

Next sept is our first Royal carribean cruise and we are embarking at Southampton , lots of people advise to stay the night before, but as we have never been to Southampton before we have no idea of where to book, or how far in advance it would need to be booked

Any help great fully appreciated thanks lesley X

Hello Neighbour :p

Premier Inn as said before or Travelodge Central in Southampton, sometimes you are best to wait until they have a sale on.

Dont know how you are getting down to Southampton but we normally drive. Leave Dundee the afternoon before, stop of at Crewe on the M6, stay in the travelodge just of the motorway (got a room for £29 the last time), up early the next day to continue to drive down as its only just over 3 hours to Southampton from Crewe.

On return we do it in one drive and are home by late afternoon.

Steven

Great advise thanks I will look into them all. We plan to drive down leaving around 10:30 in the morning, we will be travelling with a six year old so need to see how many stops we will make lol.. Can you book port parking with hotels?? Or are they both seperate?

I like the Premier Inn West Quay. It has friendly staff and great location. This next trip is during the Southampton boat show and the hotel has been sold out for months.

I visit Southampton a few times a year and it's a very consistent hotel. I have tried the other Premier Inn in the city and its no where near as nice.

Great advise thanks I will look into them all. We plan to drive down leaving around 10:30 in the morning, we will be travelling with a six year old so need to see how many stops we will make lol.. Can you book port parking with hotels?? Or are they both seperate?

Some of the hotels include parking for your duration. But price them and compare see if it's better doing it separately. Royal Caribbean at city terminal car parking is done through ABP. Google ABP Southampton car parking.

It's brilliant you drive in, park your car and porters take your luggage from your car and you walk to the terminal. The next time you see your bags is outside your cabin. Very efficient.

Last July we did a park+stay+cruise at the Novotel. The deal included an excellent double room, full breakfast, 14 days parking in their carpark and a taxi to the port. Because we booked a year innn advance the cost was a bit less than just a night in the hotel and then paying for parking at the port. The hotel is just over the road the big West Quay mall and next door to TGI Friday's and McDonalds. We had a great, inexpensive evening meal in TGI when we arrived.

The best part of ABP (parking) is that it is very secure located in the cruise ship terminal area itself. Other parking companies will be a bit cheaper and will valet your car but it's off site and they have your keys. There is parking at some of the hotels which again is not as secure.

There are two Ibis, we chose the Expensive one LOL McDonalds and TGI Friday are across the parking lot, breakfast at the Ibis is good and well priced for the UK. We stayed 4 days there before our cruise last year. Southhampton is a expensive so get ready. Remember, I do not think any hotels have AC. well the more expensive one Maybe. Only issue we had was some people yelling in the parking lot at 1 AM but remember it is a College town LOL.

Check the price often, book or rebook as needed, sometimes they will give you a free breakfast.

If you have the time wander to the old city and visit the Titanic Bar and restaurant, it is where the Passengers and crew ate before the sinking, and truly some relatives still eat there. Not touristy at all.

There are lots of good ideas here. Just remember as it is September that it is Southampton boat show time so you do need to book as soon as you can as lots of people for the boat show stay i the hotels as well,

Another vote for the Premier Inn. You always know what you will get in a Premier Inn. Good, basic, clean accommodation at a reasonable room rate. Book soon though. It's very popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have stayed at the Ibis Budget twice, cheap and cheerful, parking priced at £6 you can use the Novatel or the other Ibis facilities. Ask for a room overlooking the car park and and on the upper floors.

We stayed at the Premierre Inn May 2015 and were pleasantly surprised. Definitely wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Breakfast was included and very good. Walking distance to shopping and lots of restaurants. They have a dinner deal that was very good if you don't want to leave the hotel. We walked to board the ship but this may not be doable for everyone.

Excellent location opposite the port you can see your ship from here if you ask for a port view room on check in.

Five minutes walk to shopping centre and restaurants.

Superb breakfast and parking included.

Plus a free shuttle to and back from the port.

Just book your shuttle time at reception and it's a two or three minute ride.

Excellent location opposite the port you can see your ship from here if you ask for a port view room on check in.

Five minutes walk to shopping centre and restaurants.

Superb breakfast and parking included.

Plus a free shuttle to and back from the port.

Just book your shuttle time at reception and it's a two or three minute ride.

I agree - great hotel staff, breakfast was super, very nice comfortable room that looked directly at the port. Shopping and restaurants very close by. We will stay there again next time we sail from Southampton.

I've stayed in the Grand Harbour, Holiday Inn, Novotel and Jury's Inn. I'd recommend all of them except Jury's Inn. The Holiday Inn is right next to the City Terminal. In May I checked out of the hotel at 10:45, walked to the terminal and I was riding the North Star on Ovation at 11:15!

If you don't have breakfast included, there are two Wetherspoon pubs within walking distance. I'd recommend the The Admiral Sir Lucius Curtis. It's a 15 minute walk along the front from both the Holiday Inn and Grand Harbour. The HI has just been refurbished and there are lots of USB charging points in the room.