Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Carry-On Water and Soda

LauraS

Disney World does, both at their resorts & parks. Universal does also. Any of the beach resorts in St Thomas will. Which resorts don't?

We have stayed on Disney property many times and they have a fridge in the room so that you can go out and get things and keep them cold. I have never had them say I can't have my own bottled water or Coke when they sell Pepsi or whatever.

Going into an amusement park for 1 day is different than staying somewhere for a week or longer.

By the way, from https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/outside-food-and-drink/ "Guests are allowed to bring food items-such as snacks or food that do not require heating-into Disney theme parks.

The only no no items are alcoholic beverages and things in glass bottles.

Just read a story on the USA Today and it not only mentioned how pissed people are on cruise critic, but they published the price of water on NCL ships. Yes they actually talked about cruise critic, and the price of water on he ships. I was quite amazed actually. This new policy doesn't effect me because I like as few a bags to bring with us and beverages would add to those bags obviously, but I do like to take a bottle of water with me for boarding. Its nice to have something to drink while boarding the ship. That is the only thing that will effect me personally but I certainly understand people being very P-oed over this. I don't blame anyone for being upset.

Can you please post the article reference? I'd like to read it. As soon as I heard, I knew I had to come check out CC since I knew I would have many others who feel the same way as me. Thanks for understanding how others feel even though it doesn't affect you directly since you can still bring 2 bottles of wine with you. That is the only exception to the new rules. :rolleyes:

We have one future cruise credit left and I'm afraid it will be our last. It isn't that the drinks are that big of a deal, it is more the direction the whole company is headed. I like the relaxed atmosphere, but being forced to drink only the beverages they offer on board and paying $3 for a bottle of water is crazy.

Check out the latest Norwegian Cruise Line news from Cruise Critic:

Norwegian Cruise Line Bans Carry-On Water and Soda

Hi LauraS ... I have just 2 questions ... would you know the answers ....

• what exactly are the reasons for the ban of bringing onboard the water bottles? I hear it's about the security but I think that is not the only reason

will NCL ever lower the price for the water bottle packages on ship?

Thanks.

Edited by bluesea777

For "safety and security" reasons my heinie. It's all to do with $$$$$$$$$$$$$ reasons. How many cruise ships have been blown up because someone walked on with a water bottle? Every port of call I always buy some bottled water and bring it back on. Never an issue with any line. Won't be cruising with NCL anymore.

Appreciate these smart points by this poster from Virginia. From FOX News, they have this headline: "Norwegian Cruise Line bans almost all carry-on beverages" with some of these key highlights: "There are a few exceptions to the new rule: --You are permitted to bring two sealed bottles (not boxes) of wine onto your ship. But be forewarned:

'They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle…. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.' "

Is not that so kind in picking the customer's pocket for $15 per bottle??? Freedom is alive and well with NCL!!!

Full story at:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/07/05/norwegian-cruise-line-bans-almost-all-carry-on-beverages.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 148,281 views for this posting.

Appreciate these smart points by this poster from Virginia. From FOX News, they have this headline: "Norwegian Cruise Line bans almost all carry-on beverages" with some of these key highlights: "There are a few exceptions to the new rule: --You are permitted to bring two sealed bottles (not boxes) of wine onto your ship. But be forewarned:

'They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle…. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.' "

Is not that so kind in picking the customer's pocket for $15 per bottle??? Freedom is alive and well with NCL!!!

Full story at:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/07/05/norwegian-cruise-line-bans-almost-all-carry-on-beverages.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 148,281 views for this posting.

This has been in effect all the 10 years we have cruised with NCL - nothing new or shocking as you tried to make it so.

Cheers!

Can you please post the article reference? I'd like to read it. As soon as I heard, I knew I had to come check out CC since I knew I would have many others who feel the same way as me. Thanks for understanding how others feel even though it doesn't affect you directly since you can still bring 2 bottles of wine with you. That is the only exception to the new rules. :rolleyes:

We have one future cruise credit left and I'm afraid it will be our last. It isn't that the drinks are that big of a deal, it is more the direction the whole company is headed. I like the relaxed atmosphere, but being forced to drink only the beverages they offer on board and paying $3 for a bottle of water is crazy.

Sorry I apologize, I should have included a link in the first post. Here it is.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/07/06/norwegian-cruise-line-beverage-ban/86742538/

From FOX News, they have this headline: "Norwegian Cruise Line bans almost all carry-on beverages" with some of these key highlights: "There are a few exceptions to the new rule: --You are permitted to bring two sealed bottles (not boxes) of wine onto your ship. But be forewarned:

Full story at:

Fox needs to do better fact checking -- there is NO LIMIT to the number of bottles of wine you can bring on, but each does have a $15 corkage fee. As the above poster stated, this has been the norm on NCL for a very long time.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Must be honest. This is the most ridiculous penny pinching, nickel and dimming move NCL could have done. Just purchased a package cruise and stay vacation and have no choice but to sail on the NCL Pearl. This will be my one and only NCL cruise. I'm taking my business back to HAL where you are treated like a value guest. I can order room service for free and bring on all the water, juice, canned pop I like. Oh and did I forget to mention HAL will also let me bring on one bottle of wine, FOR FREE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has been in effect all the 10 years we have cruised with NCL - nothing new or shocking as you tried to make it so. Cheers!

By contrast, here is the more flexible and reasonable policy with Celebrity for their ships. I just pulled off this policy tonight from their website:

Can I bring alcoholic beverages on board?

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

From our experiences in doing two cruises with Celebrity, they were also very flexible for bringing on board soft drinks, sparkling water, etc. Also, in ports in Italy, there was no problem or hassle for bring on-board added wine bottles to open and use in our rooms without any added charges or fees.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,450 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

By contrast, here is the more flexible and reasonable policy with Celebrity for their ships. I just pulled off this policy tonight from their website:

Can I bring alcoholic beverages on board?

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

From our experiences in doing two cruises with Celebrity, they were also very flexible for bringing on board soft drinks, sparkling water, etc. Also, in ports in Italy, there was no problem or hassle for bring on-board added wine bottles to open and use in our rooms without any added charges or fees.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,450 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

It is funny, I also cruise on Celebrity and yes, I can get water included in their beverage package, but it is going to cost me considerably more than I pay on NCL. Take December 16, 2017. I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Celebrity for $1,099/$1,204/$1,414 per person in a balcony (depending on if I pick 1, 2 or 3 of the perks offered: Beverage Package, $150 OBC, prepaid tips, unlimited internet). I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on NCL for $899 per person in a balcony and the choice of 2 perks offered (beverage package, shore excursion, 250 internet minutes, SDP). Even if you do apples to apples, Celebrity would cost me $1,204 (with two perks included) and NCL would cost me $899 (with two perks included) for a balcony cabin. I think with the $300 savings, I could afford to purchase the water at NCL's current prices or purchase wine on board. I think one has to look at the entire picture when picking cruises, not just one policy.

It is funny, I also cruise on Celebrity and yes, I can get water included in their beverage package, but it is going to cost me considerably more than I pay on NCL. Take December 16, 2017. I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on Celebrity for $1,099/$1,204/$1,414 per person in a balcony (depending on if I pick 1, 2 or 3 of the perks offered: Beverage Package, $150 OBC, prepaid tips, unlimited internet). I can cruise a 7 night Caribbean cruise on NCL for $899 per person in a balcony and the choice of 2 perks offered (beverage package, shore excursion, 250 internet minutes, SDP). Even if you do apples to apples, Celebrity would cost me $1,204 (with two perks included) and NCL would cost me $899 (with two perks included) for a balcony cabin. I think with the $300 savings, I could afford to purchase the water at NCL's current prices or purchase wine on board. I think one has to look at the entire picture when picking cruises, not just one policy.

Actually if apples to apples; the only semi comparable perks are internet and beverage package. So one has to add the service fee of $200 NCL will charge on the beverage package. Celebrity includes it with the perk. So for $100 more on Celebrity you can have unlimited internet and all the coffees and water bottles and cans of soda along with the beverages and tips on the beverages. Don't forget when you get an included coffee on celebrity you can also get a yummy treat in the case for free too.

NCL's package will cost you $100 less but you don't get unlimited internet and its painfully slow. The upgrades done in June and available in July onboard all ships don't seem to have materialized. Regardless unlimited internet is worth about the fare difference. The difference in the included water bottles, soda cans, speciality coffees and the gratuities on that package? Depends on how much you consume but could easily tip the scale a few hundred in the opposite direction.

Other lines have also initiated this policy but 1 - it applies to all passengers, it does not make it ok for people with medical devices and for formula - that is prejudicial. 2 - while you would be buying it on board they would make it just a bit more expensive than buying it on shore. A 6 pack of water for like $3.99. Norwegian says it is being done out of "safety" then why do they have exceptions and why are they charging so much to buy it on board?