2017 two week Alaska cruises

JudithLynne

My husband and I just completed our 12th Alaska cruise. We enjoy cruises that are longer than one week so we took the 14 day cruise on the Maasdam. We had a great time. I was looking at this cruise next year, among others that we are thinking of, and I notice that HAL has reduced the number of 14 day Alaska cruises for 2017. I hate to see this cruise eliminated in the future. Anyone have any info or thoughts on this?

My husband and I just completed our 12th Alaska cruise. We enjoy cruises that are longer than one week so we took the 14 day cruise on the Maasdam. We had a great time. I was looking at this cruise next year, among others that we are thinking of, and I notice that HAL has reduced the number of 14 day Alaska cruises for 2017. I hate to see this cruise eliminated in the future. Anyone have any info or thoughts on this?

We too LOVED our two week Alaska cruises with Holland (have done two). We will be following this post. We definitely will want to go again!! It was wonderful. This cruise goes further North than most and you get to see so much more of Alaska. I have not looked yet...what ship will be going there?

They tend to change the frequency of this cruise each year.

I went 2015 on the Standam and they were every two weeks. 2014 I think they were only once a month. In 2013 they may not have even offered that itinerary at all. I can't recall clearly.

I suppose you could do two one ways to and from Anchorage as B2B, but I think you stop at the same ports and do the same scenic cruising both directions. Not that I think that's a bad thing...

Edited by cavecreekguy

The Vancouver to Seward return is a very enjoyable 2 week cruise, too.

We do one or two of them a season and are very satisfied.

HAL has sailed two ships on this itinerary for a long time. Nice to be able to choose the ship, as opposed to having the decision made for you as with the two week one out of Seattle.

I too took the 14 day cruise on the Statendam last year. I hope to take this trip again because it was THE BEST trip of my life. If not in 2017, then in 2018 for sure. PLEASE HAL... KEEP THIS ONE on the books.

My husband and I booked the 7/23/17 sailing on the Amsterdam (14 day) a few weeks ago. Our TA said the ship was already at 70% capacity. We wanted to hold off booking in case the price dropped, but with the limited number of sailings, we went ahead and booked. The day we return, the ship leaves for a chartered 7 day cruise.

BTW - after reading these boards for years, I joined CC last month and this is my first post. Thanks for the wonderful advice and information shared.

I too took the 14 day cruise on the Statendam last year. I hope to take this trip again because it was THE BEST trip of my life. If not in 2017, then in 2018 for sure. PLEASE HAL... KEEP THIS ONE on the books.

I'm with you totally.

HAL has been doing these for a long time. They connect to many of the land tours and seem to be very popular. Not every year can you book the Collectors (14 days), so we book the north and south separately and have never had to move.

You might want to try the Noordam next year, a very nice ship!!

My husband and I booked the 7/23/17 sailing on the Amsterdam (14 day) a few weeks ago. Our TA said the ship was already at 70% capacity. We wanted to hold off booking in case the price dropped, but with the limited number of sailings, we went ahead and booked. The day we return, the ship leaves for a chartered 7 day cruise.

BTW - after reading these boards for years, I joined CC last month and this is my first post. Thanks for the wonderful advice and information shared.

Congratulations on joining CC and welcome to the boards.

I question the 70% capacity information that you received. We just got off this cruise on the Maasdam and we did not sail full. We booked after final payment, got a very desirable cabin, and saved $2000 over the original fare. HAL was selling upgrades like crazy right before the cruise to attempt to fill the ship.

If the 70% capacity is true, I would seriously worry that a theme group is aboard.

Your date, 7-23 is one that we are looking at. We really enjoyed this cruise and it is only an hour flight to SeaTac for us.

Judith

Edited by JudithLynne

I question the 70% capacity information that you received. We just got off this cruise on the Maasdam and we did not sail full. We booked after final payment, got a very desirable cabin, and saved $2000 over the original fare. HAL was selling upgrades like crazy right before the cruise to attempt to fill the ship.

If the 70% capacity is true, I would seriously worry that a theme group is aboard.

Your date, 7-23 is one that we are looking at. We really enjoyed this cruise and it is only an hour flight to SeaTac for us.

Judith

Not knowing your exact sail date, all I can report is that since the beginning of June up to and including our sail date of 7/18/16 all sailings have been sold out according to Holland America website and the online agency I use. I started watching the sailings in May to book last minute as our schedule allowed. Missed the last two sailings as they sold out just as I was ready to book.

I tend book minute or within the 75 day after final payment.

I took this cruise in 2014 on the Amsterdam and it was one of the best cruises I have been on. I would do the itinary in a heartbeat.

In 2014 they were only thing offering this cruise once a month. I went on the first sailing in May.

Prices kept going up and up and thought it out of my reach. Prices dropped slightly were it made the cost doable.

They might switch it on and off to see what the supply and demand is. If the demand is high Hal can charge a higher price.

This is a wonderful cruise and the Amsterdam is a wonderful ship.

Judith

Remember though that there are only four sailings of this itinerary next year whereas this year it's every two weeks from late May straight into September. Perhaps Amsterdam is considered a more desirable ship than Maasdam too.

Edited by joekerstef

Not knowing your exact sail date, all I can report is that since the beginning of June up to and including our sail date of 7/18/16 all sailings have been sold out according to Holland America website and the online agency I use. I started watching the sailings in May to book last minute as our schedule allowed. Missed the last two sailings as they sold out just as I was ready to book.

Not sure how. As JudithLynne pointed out, they were offering upsells like kleenex in the weeks before sailing (pretty sure we received the last one just a couple days before embarkation), and someone on our roll call board kept giving us a running total of how many rooms were available on the HAL site up until a few days before sailing. I recall grumbling at my mother because the price was so much lower than what we booked at. I was on the 6/6 cruise and it was not sold out. Met people on the ship who said they booked one month, two weeks, and one week prior to sailing.

This 14 day itinerary was not even offered in 2013, suggest you do the 1027 if you want to be sure.

Not sure how. As JudithLynne pointed out, they were offering upsells like kleenex in the weeks before sailing (pretty sure we received the last one just a couple days before embarkation), and someone on our roll call board kept giving us a running total of how many rooms were available on the HAL site up until a few days before sailing. I recall grumbling at my mother because the price was so much lower than what we booked at. I was on the 6/6 cruise and it was not sold out. Met people on the ship who said they booked one month, two weeks, and one week prior to sailing.

It was Redneck Bob that kept us updated. I heard on board that there were a little over 1100 on board. It could be the Maasdam factor. What a great cruise. It was our 12th Alaska and I have never seen weather like that.....you did not even need a jacket! I still can't believe Hubbard Glacier in full bright sun.

Judith

I'd love to take the 14-day cruise next year. It's probably the only way to talk DH into going back to Alaska again--although I'd love to go every year. I'm only getting him there next month because we're going to Sitka for the first time. The 14-day itinerary would add three new ports to the mix for us: Homer, Kodiak, and Icy Strait Point.

This 14 day itinerary was not even offered in 2013, suggest you do the 1027 if you want to be sure.

OOPS I meant to say 2018.:o

Again there are years when this 14 day cruise is not even offered.

My husband and I booked the 7/23/17 sailing on the Amsterdam (14 day) a few weeks ago. Our TA said the ship was already at 70% capacity.
I booked this itinerary for the end of May/first weeks of June about six weeks ago. Early and main fixed seating were already waitlisted at that time! So I'm guessing our ship is booked about the same percentage at this point.

Our friends have taken this 14-day itinerary three times, the latest in May of this year. They are going again next year! That speaks pretty highly of the voyage to me.

If you have any thoughts of taking this journey in 2017, better hop on it NOW!

We are booked on 7/23/17 also. I just booked a few days ago and was able to book the room I wanted. I didn't ask about capacity. But I'd guess it will sell well with only 4 available options for dates.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the very first sailing of the 14 day itinerary in May 2010. It is a fantastic itinerary. We were fortunate to get a reasonable upsell from oceanview to balcony. We had 13 days of sunshine so the balcony was well used. Highly recommend the 14 day itinerary for seeing ports not usually offered.

Edited by NMLady