Radiance Questions?

I'm currently sailing on Radiance of the Seas- northbound to Seward. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have and will share a few observations based on questions I have seen recently.

-the crew is wonderful- very friendly and helpful.

-most people eat in the main dining room after the first night. We switched and found we prefer the Windjammer. The food selection is much better.

- Internet (we purchased the higher level with streaming) seems to work fine. My nephew is getting his fill of Netflix and I have only found that you have to log back in after 2 hours of inactivity. If you have AT&T cell service it works great in port

-I was surprised at how small the cabins are and I am thankful I have a balcony

- Beds are slightly uncomfortable for most of my group however we aren't letting it bother us

- they were painting the outside of the ship yesterday so I am not sure how much or what was accomplished in dry dock

Re: Alaska. Icy Straight Point is wonderful. We did whale watching and saw Orcas and humpback whales. The tour group was thrilled as this was the first time some had seen the orcas.

If there are other questions about the ship I will do my best to answer.

- they were painting the outside of the ship yesterday so I am not sure how much or what was accomplished in dry dock

Re: Alaska. Icy Straight Point is wonderful.

Maintenance in a saltwater environment never ends. You'll likely see crew varnishing railings and so on as well.

Yes, we like ISP too, and this year you've got the new dock to enjoy:)

Have fun:D

Edited by pspercy

I will look for the dining promotions - they walk around selling them and have packages available however I have not paid attention to them. No specials for drink packages. They are available however I didn't see different prices than what I saw prior to boarding.

Yes, the hotdog place is available. Also, the roast beef sandwich mentioned in other threads IS worth the try. Tasty.

The ship could use a bit of freshing up but I feel it is good shape. The artwork throughout the ship is very nice to view, the Campagne Bar is a nice place to sit and carpets/drapes are in good shape. My family dislikes the seating in the Schooner Bar as it extremely uncomfortable to us and that is unfortunate as the views are amazing. The game room needs actual games and could benefit from more space as it always has people waiting for tables. I'll pay closer attention tomorrow and report back.

Edited by Daphne0218

Juan Diego just checked on board. Can you find out and post if he is in the Concierge lounge or Diamond lounge??

Which ship was he on before? Was he on Mariner or Freedom years ago?

Will find out which lounge he is in on August 5th. :)

Ask for an 'egg crate' topper for your mattress, it helps to make the beds more comfortable

Do the ships still happily provide those any longer? I had heard they stopped.

We have indeed had hit and miss on mattresses. The new ones on Freedom were

awful!

How do you feel the overall condition of the ship is? Reading some of the reviews, it sounds like it needs some work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We thought it was in great shape. Nothing stuck out as if it was missed during the dry dock. Something was going on with Adventure Ocean (carpet maintenance?) last week. We don't have little ones so we didn't explore further.

I believe the dry dock was more about working on mechanical issues. No aerial show was added to the Centrum during the dry dock. Not sure if it ever was supposed to be added.

Centrum stairway is still there. It was our first Radiance class ship and I guess on some of the other ships in the same class the Centrum stairs have been removed.

Missed not having a Flowrider, but we wouldn't hesitate in cruising on Radiance OTS again.

atgood

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by atgood

Thanks for the reports atgood!

Looking forward to our turn in a few weeks! We love the Radiance series as

our favorite class of ship, and totally enjoyed Radiance in Alaska four years

ago. :)

Have a fantabulous cruise! :D

Do the ships still happily provide those any longer? I had heard they stopped.

We have indeed had hit and miss on mattresses. The new ones on Freedom were

awful!

I believe the egg crate mattress toppers are no longer available but I had heard that the mattresses on adventure were hard so I requested a couple of weeks before boarding that a mattress topper to soften up the bed be available via c&A. It was not so I asked our room attendant if the bed had one on it and he said he would take of it, and he did. It was a little better. Thanks for the heads up on the beds on radiance, I will try to get a mattress topper before we go.

I believe the egg crate mattress toppers are no longer available but I had heard that the mattresses on adventure were hard so I requested a couple of weeks before boarding that a mattress topper to soften up the bed be available via c&A. It was not so I asked our room attendant if the bed had one on it and he said he would take of it, and he did. It was a little better. Thanks for the heads up on the beds on radiance, I will try to get a mattress topper before we go.

Someone once posted they asked for extra blankets to be put under the mattress

topper and it helped a bit.

I never know what to expect from each ship to ship, cabin to cabin. I will wait and

deal with it when we get there. Have the same cabin for 14 nights...so will be wanting

to check it out when we check in. :eek:

Juan Diego just checked on board. Can you find out and post if he is in the Concierge lounge or Diamond lounge??

He is not in the Concierge Lounge. The concierge is a female. Can't remember her name. I believe she just checked in on June 24th when we boarded. Don't know who is in the Diamond Lounge. We poked our heads in just to see what it was like.

He is not in the Concierge Lounge. The concierge is a female. Can't remember her name. I believe she just checked in on June 24th when we boarded. Don't know who is in the Diamond Lounge. We poked our heads in just to see what it was like.

I usually like the CL better on Radiance series, but enjoy the DL on the Radiance

Alaska cruises for the better sweeping view as you slide along the inland waterway.

Nice they are just across the hallway from each other.

Romina Gheorghe in the CL and Sergey Sinkevich in the DL. Romina was a great resource. She's a new concierge.

atgood

Romina Gheorghe in the CL and Sergey Sinkevich in the DL. Romina was a great resource. She's a new concierge.

atgood

Thanks!

That is good to hear! Looking forward to meeting both of them in a few weeks!

And/or possibly Juan also?

Edited by island lady

We just returned from our B2B on the Radiance (weeks 6/17 & 6/24). I had requested an egg crate when I first booked and also had my TA reconfirm upon final booking that an egg crate would be on my bed ---- DID NOT HAPPEN. Our room steward tried to make up for the lack of the egg crate by putting a few extra thin mattress-like toppers under the sheet and it helped a micro bit but not more than that. I knew the room steward was doing his best to help but our bed was beyond help --- my side of the mattress sagged badly in the middle almost like sleeping in a hammock. We didn't let it ruin our cruise ---- but, boy was I happy to see my bed when I got home from the cruise.

Toilets also problematic --- 6 times in 14 days we had problems. RCI was pretty good about down time --- usually fixed within 30 minutes.

We just returned from our B2B on the Radiance (weeks 6/17 & 6/24). I had requested an egg crate when I first booked and also had my TA reconfirm upon final booking that an egg crate would be on my bed ---- DID NOT HAPPEN. Our room steward tried to make up for the lack of the egg crate by putting a few extra thin mattress-like toppers under the sheet and it helped a micro bit but not more than that. I knew the room steward was doing his best to help but our bed was beyond help --- my side of the mattress sagged badly in the middle almost like sleeping in a hammock. We didn't let it ruin our cruise ---- but, boy was I happy to see my bed when I got home from the cruise.

Toilets also problematic --- 6 times in 14 days we had problems. RCI was pretty good about down time --- usually fixed within 30 minutes.

Where were you located on the ship? Sometimes different sections are more problematic

with the plumbing. Always seems like we run into areas in the hallways on various cruises

that have "that smell" and then the fans come out from having to do some clean up. :(

Where were you located on the ship? Sometimes different sections are more problematic

with the plumbing. Always seems like we run into areas in the hallways on various cruises

that have "that smell" and then the fans come out from having to do some clean up. :(

We were in 8540. Every time we reported the incident we were told that they were having a system-wide problem with the vacuum. We have stayed on the 8th deck numerous times in the past and have never had a problem until this last cruise.