Extreme disappointment with Crown Grill

Knickearth

We were on the Grand on the sailing before you. Food and service was Awesome!

Anyone going on the Grand, ask for Kitty as your waiter. The room was pretty full, and our service was great. Our MDR head waitress, Sonja, said he's the best.

All our food was perfect. Wife had Rib-eye and Lobster. I had rack of lamb and Chilean sea bass. Mom had halibut for some strange reason???

How would they know that your steak was no good if you ate it and said nothing? Every time we have gone to the Crown Grill we could order anything we wanted so if our steak was no good we could of got something else. No disrespect intended. Just saying.

I appreciated the variety of responses. After complaining about first two courses I gave up complaining.

Not bitter but definitely hesitant to return to cg

We had no problem substituting something else. I found both CG & Sabatini's to not have very good steaks. Their seafood, however was excellent. If someone eats at lower end/moderate steak houses(Texas Road House/Long horn/Outback, etc.), they'll probably be happy. We're in the food industry & mainly choose high-end(Grill 23-Boston)Ruth Chris/Morton's/Palm etc. In that case the CG/Sabatini's steaks are woefully inadequate!

I think a lot of people forget the shear volume of people that are being fed at each meal. Most ships are serving 3000+ people out of the same kitchen. No gourmet or high end restaurant serves 9000+ meals per day, and don't forget the roughly 1,000+ crew members eat as well which is another 3,000 meals. One less than stellar experience out of so many decent ones is a pretty doggone good ratio.

Edited by mamkmm2

I think a lot of people forget the shear volume of people that are being fed at each meal. Most ships are serving 3000+ people out of the same kitchen. No gourmet or high end restaurant serves 9000+ meals per day, and don't forget the roughly 1,000+ crew members eat as well which is another 3,000 meals. One less than stellar experience out of so many decent ones is a pretty doggone good ratio.

Very good point;)

But at the speciality restaurants, you expect better as you are paying additional for this. The kitchen is much smaller.

It used to be quite good which means it can be if they want it to.

I remember my first time at Sterling Steakhouse on the Sun Princess. Cost was $6 and it was exceptional.

Edited by Coral

Yes, I agree with Coral. The specialty restaurants are different, or are supposed to be.

When I had a bad experience at the Crown Grill, there were only a few tables with customers. It was inexplicable as to why it was so bad.

That being said, I have had 25+ good experiences at Crown Grill, Sabatini's, and Sterling Steakhouse. Because of these many good experiences, the one bad experience was a real shocker.

I am glad that I have since had three good experiences at Crown Grill on the Ruby.

But at the speciality restaurants, you expect better as you are paying additional for this. The kitchen is much smaller.

It used to be quite good which means it can be if they want it to.

I remember my first time at Sterling Steakhouse on the Sun Princess. Cost was $6 and it was exceptional.

I agree that you should have higher expectations, Coral. So, when the service level is lacking, that is when I am disappointed.

I honestly do not believe that the cuts of meat served in CG or Sabatini's are superior to those served in the MDR. In all honesty, the last time we enjoyed the Ultimate Balcony Dinner ($50 pp), I found the filet mignon to be chewy and not particularly flavorful. In Sabatini's they offer something called (as I recall), Bistecca Toscana. The garnish on the steak provides the flavor. Otherwise it was chewy and flavorless. I did enjoy a great Osso Buco at Sabatini's one evening--it was a "special"--but I have also read here on Cruise Critic about a diner who ordered it and was disappointed because it was so fatty. Maybe I was lucky, or maybe he was unlucky.

I frequent the specialty restaurants because I want to enjoy my dining experience. I want to be pampered by the staff--including the headwaiter--with special attention. I want to dine at my own pace, which is slow. I do not want to feel that I am being rushed. I do not want the service for the appetizers removed until I have finished with the appetizers, and I certainly do not want to see the entree presented before I and everybody else at the table have finished our appetizers.

I have, in the past, received excellent service in Crown Grill and Sterling Steakhouse. I just seem to be on a bad streak, lately. Fortunately, in those cruises I have found refuge in Sabatini's. There have been cruises where the service at Sabatini's did not match that of CG. So, on those cruises we visited CG multiple times and Sabatini's not so much.

Again, I place 100% of the blame for my disappointment on management--the headwaiter and the Maitre d'.

A couple of additional comments. Some have mentioned that the seafood in CG provides an excellent option. I am inclined to agree with that. I think the best entree in CG is the Mussel Pot.

Also, several people have stated that the lamb chops are very good. On two different cruises I have asked our waiter about the lamb chops and in both cases the waiter said nothing but just shook his head, "No." So, I ordered something else. Another example of more bad luck? I'll tray again on our next cruise. :)

Best reason to go to the Crown Grille is the Black & Blue Onion Soup :D

It was pretty good. But by far no where near the best I've had. I'll either have it in Montreal(the best I've had) or at Brasserie JO in Boston(a close 2'nd)

We've dined in the Crown Grill, at least once (several cruises more) on each of our previous nine Princess cruises. While the service, on occasion could have been better, we've never had a really bad meal. The food has never really "wowed" us, except for the onion soup:D, but it has never been anything less than very good.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Sorry some of you have had such a bad experience at the Crown Grill. Every time we sail on Princess, we eat there at least once. The last time was February 2016. I had the rib eye with Au Gratin potatoes and asparagus. The rib eye melted in my mouth. And the rest was just as good. Have never had a bad meal there. Hope it doesn't change.