Mahogany Bay

CozGurl

What is there to do in the complex of where the ship docks? My DW has severe anxiety and want it to be safe for her after all it's her vacation and don't want her to worry.

Your wife will have no anxiety issues shopping or going to the beach in the complex where the ship docks at Mahogany Bay! It's extremely safe and there are no pesky locals bothering you on the beach trying to sell you things. :)

Is there shops like DI, del sol and those other stores like in the rest of the Caribbean

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Exactly. When you are in the shopping corral, you can't tell what island you are on, it is just like any other Carnival cookie cutter shopping enclosure.

Which is why I despise it and some people love it. Just different strokes.

I can remember before Mahogany Bay was built, it was Coral Cay, and before Coral Cay it was undeveloped. I liked it better way back then.

Roatan is a beautiful island and second home to thousands of Americans who have gorgeous homes and condominiums there. It has great ziplining, beautiful beaches with coral reefs that are easily maneuvered and great for snorkeling. It has a monkey reserve, wonderful restaurants, great water activities and some of the best scuba dive shops and scuba tours. Coxen Hole is a dump...the old town center of the island full of claustrophobic tourist shops and hundreds of panhandlers (a place best avoided if you don't want to experience the seamy side of Roatan. The east end of the island is home to most of the native Hondurans and is a nice flash back to the past with the expensive resorts it offers. The west end of the Island is very Americanized, good restaurants, boutique style shopping, some overcrowded beaches that are great as kid playgrounds.

Leave Mahogany Bay, it is overcrowded and overpriced and is only used by cruise travelers. Don't use the cruise ship tours...book independent if you want to see the island and get reasonable prices. Doing a little research is well worth the effort.

I spend many of my land vacations on Roatan (Barefoot Cay) and love it there...especially since it is a great mooring dock for some of the elite private yachts that sail the area.

If you want to do a Carnival excursion, I recommend the Tabyana Beach Break. You get to spend the day at West Bay, the snorkeling is fantastic. A lot of bech vendors, but Tabyana has security that keeps them away from the lounge chairs. Coral reef is only about 25-30 yards out from the beach, and has lots of sea life.

We've been to Mahogany bay a couple of times. For us, getting away from the cruise built area is a must. But to each his own. There is a chair lift there that is fun & zip lines nearby if that's your thing. As far as being safe to venture away from Mahogany Bay-- just use common sense & a reputable tour guide. We've never felt unsafe using Victor Bodden's drivers or group tours. I believe a private driver was only $45 plus tip for a private tour. A group tour was similar in price, taking us to a beach & Victor's zip lines. He has several options for group tours. There are several other reputable tour operators in Roatan that can show you the island & keep you safe. The walk up the hill to where the tour operators are allowed to pick you up is steep & a bit long, but very safe when we were there. Taxis are available to take you up the hill for a small fee. Tour guides are allowed to drop you off closer to port area when returning from tour. Enjoy your cruise.

Unless snorkeling is important to you, just using the beach at the Mahogany Bay complex is free and enjoyable. :D

Speaking of snorkeling - this is going to be a laid-back cruise for us this time (I have done the Victor Bodden private tour - it was great!!), so I got the CCL "tour" that just reserves the clam shell, snorkeling equip (we'll bring our own snorkle & mask), floats, use of flying chair.

Though I know the snorkeling is probably not great, I was advised that if you snorkle to the left of the small pier, you should see quite a bit of sea life. Does anyone have experience with this?

I was told by some people on our trip that there was a nice reef and snorkeling right there at Mahogany Bay. Don't know if others could confirm or deny.

We didn't visit the beach there, but it looked very nice from the ship. I'd assume it can get crowded if there are multiple ships in port.

Speaking of snorkeling - this is going to be a laid-back cruise for us this time (I have done the Victor Bodden private tour - it was great!!), so I got the CCL "tour" that just reserves the clam shell, snorkeling equip (we'll bring our own snorkle & mask), floats, use of flying chair.

Though I know the snorkeling is probably not great, I was advised that if you snorkle to the left of the small pier, you should see quite a bit of sea life. Does anyone have experience with this?

I snorkeled there back in 2003. The corals were small, there is a drop off, and fish variety was meh. It was okay for a beginner's snorkel. I don't want to think how badly the coral is doing after years of exposure to oil based sun screens.

I snorkeled there back in 2003. The corals were small, there is a drop off, and fish variety was meh. It was okay for a beginner's snorkel. I don't want to think how badly the coral is doing after years of exposure to oil based sun screens.

Thanks for the info. I'm not really a beginner, but guess I'll have to make do. I've heard different things - some say that the snorkeling was terrible but they were just outside of the swimming area. Others said that you have to go past the beachy area to the left of some small pier (?). The only time I ever stayed near the port was one day when we were there it is was nasty weather - but that was just a quick trip off the ship, walking down the beach a short distance, and I don't remember seeing a small pier.

Oh well, guess we'll see how it goes. I wanted to get in some snorkeling in Cozumel, but there will be 4 other ships in and I just don't want to hassle with crowds this time.

Thanks for the info. I'm not really a beginner, but guess I'll have to make do. I've heard different things - some say that the snorkeling was terrible but they were just outside of the swimming area. Others said that you have to go past the beachy area to the left of some small pier (?). The only time I ever stayed near the port was one day when we were there it is was nasty weather - but that was just a quick trip off the ship, walking down the beach a short distance, and I don't remember seeing a small pier.

Oh well, guess we'll see how it goes. I wanted to get in some snorkeling in Cozumel, but there will be 4 other ships in and I just don't want to hassle with crowds this time.

The snorkel area is indeed to the left of the pier. It's better at high tide since some of the corals get close to surface during low tide. Sometimes Carnival has excursions in this area, and I'm not sure if they will let you go into the same area that others have paid for........don't bother to snorkel off the beach itself......all you will see is the oil from everyone's sun screens in the water.

If you really want good areas to snorkel, Maya Key, Little French Key and Tabayana beach are all easy to get to.

We used Ronys Tours. All non cruise line tours have to wait outside the security gate. I was told I could walk the road to the gate, 5-10 minutes, or get a cab for $3.00pp. My Mom uses a transport chair. I don't think even without the chair the walk would have been fun. Our drive for the day was excellent, saw the island, Iguanas, flea market and a lot of sights. Caution, watch out for the "white lighting" at the flea market..Wooooo

A friend went to the beach at Mahogany and said he didn't need sunscreen. Just jump in the water and rub the water all over yourself. Presto, instant coverage. Gross.

When you did the 5-10 min walk - when you left the shopping area - did you go right or left to get to the street?

Under the covered walkway on the way to cabs is a place that will stamp for passport. They also have bookmarks with facts about Roatan and protecting the reefs. I always get one when there. Now the one I have is getting a bit used so have to schedule a cruise and get some more!!

From what I remember it's left because the other way is to the taxi stand only. It's quite the hill.

You definitely go left for sure and you are right. Its a pretty steep walk. When I heard "350 yards or so" I was gonna try it in my wheelchair until i saw the hill :eek: I gladly paid the 2.00 per person for the taxi ride across it.