Oceania Cruises Close to Cuba Approval

LauraS

I don't know from where the cruise lines are purchasing this insurance. Cuban medical insurance can be purchased for $3 per day from Cuba insurance company. I would supply a link but that might not be allowed. This link does sell the insurance so that might not be allowed for US citizens but I understand Cuban medical insurance can be purchased at the airport (cost unknown but expect it to be similar) and do not have it verified that it can be purchased at the cruise port.

The exchange rate most vividly highlights the difference between the way things are costed for Americans visiting Cuba VS for the rest of the world. When exchanging dollars, there is a 10% penalty charged; American visitors will only receive 87 CUC for one USA dollar allowing for the 10% penalty and a 3% currency exchange fee. Other currencies pay only the 3% currency exchange fee.

This is the result of decades of embargo and political estrangement between the the US and Cuba. So whether health insurance and other bureaucratic fees can be had at a better rate for non-US citizens is irrelevant for the time being. None of us has any insight into the negotiations between Oceania and the Cuban government. It may be that for Oceania (or more likely its parent company) to acquire port rights to Cuba every cruiser whether American or not must be processed as an American.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

The exchange rate most vividly highlights the difference between the way things are costed for Americans visiting Cuba VS for the rest of the world. When exchanging dollars, there is a 10% penalty charged; American visitors will only receive 87 CUC for one USA dollar allowing for the 10% penalty and a 3% currency exchange fee. Other currencies pay only the 3% currency exchange fee.

Thank you for this information. We will bring "leftover" Euros and GBP to exchange.

The penalty may have been eliminated I believe. Double check. There was a plan to eliminate.

Otherwise euro is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, for North Americans the Canadian dollar is probably the way to go. According to VisitCuba.com, "the best currencies (for exchanging in Cuba) are Euros, Canadian Dollars, or Sterling since these are the most common and the exchange rates are generally quire reasonable". Unless you already have Euros, I suspect for Americans it is easier to obtain Canadian dollars.

Actually, for North Americans the Canadian dollar is probably the way to go. According to VisitCuba.com, "the best currencies (for exchanging in Cuba) are Euros, Canadian Dollars, or Sterling since these are the most common and the exchange rates are generally quire reasonable". Unless you already have Euros, I suspect for Americans it is easier to obtain Canadian dollars.

The way to go is NOT TO GO until things change in Cuba. We are being ripped off and we should not take it. :mad::mad::mad:

The way to go is NOT TO GO until things change in Cuba. We are being ripped off and we should not take it. :mad::mad::mad:

It's all very well if that is the decision that you make for yourself, however, it must be considered that a large number (I'll hold back from saying a majority) who read this have more money than time to risk-

MV5BMTIxOTU2OTg4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjk1ODc0._V1_UY317_CR1,0,214,317_AL_.jpg None of us know how long we are promised.

If we had waited until things change in Russia, China, Vietnam, Egypt and Cuba, we would not have visited these wonderful countries in the past few years. While Havana is a great city, the ports of Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba should be included in any cruise to Cuba.

Cheers,

Don

If we had waited until things change in Russia, China, Vietnam, Egypt and Cuba, we would not have visited these wonderful countries in the past few years. While Havana is a great city, the ports of Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba should be included in any cruise to Cuba.

Cheers,

Don

Couldn't agree more :)

In addition to this, many changes that we have seen over the years in many places are not always for the better.

For example, China today is not the China of 30 years ago; gone are the Hutongs of Beijing, much of the old town of Shanghai - replaced by freeways, skyscrapers that can be seen everywhere else in the world. Many of the old authentic shops are now replaced by Gucci, Dolce & Gabbana, etc, etc - not what one goes to China for. Same thing is happening in Vietnam and many other places all over the world.

Sometimes it is best to see places while they still retain their former identity - even if it needs a bit of polishing - before they become part of "uniworld".

JMO

Cheers,

Don

Things have changed in China, Russia, Vietnam and Egypt but they have not changed in Cuba. Until they do I have no need to go there even though I would like to. Also don't think Havana is a great city. What makes it great? The fact that we could not go there for 50 years? That does not make it great. I am sure it is very nice as told to me by many Cuban friends that were forced to leave with just the clothes on their backs quite a few years ago. They do not want me to go yet so I will wait a little while longer to go there. Just me. Those of you who do go have a great time.

It all depends on what your definition of great may be. When I was in Havana in February 1960, yes, 56 years ago, it was a vibrant exciting city. That year, I rode in a 1956 Chev Belair, the same type of vehicle that took us to the Tropicana in February 2016. The show was great with entertainers that were probably the grandchildren or great grandchildren of the 1960 cast. This year we had a private tour with a guide and driver. While many of the buildings are showing signs of wear, the architecture and is still worth appreciating. The people are friendly and are looking forward to welcoming more visitors.

Cheers,

Don

It all depends on what your definition of great may be. When I was in Havana in February 1960, yes, 56 years ago, it was a vibrant exciting city. That year, I rode in a 1956 Chev Belair, the same type of vehicle that took us to the Tropicana in February 2016. The show was great with entertainers that were probably the grandchildren or great grandchildren of the 1960 cast. This year we had a private tour with a guide and driver. While many of the buildings are showing signs of wear, the architecture and is still worth appreciating. The people are friendly and are looking forward to welcoming more visitors.

Cheers,

Don

My definition of great in relation to city,s are New York, London, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, etc. Not Havana. Good people nice 1960s cars but not close to being great. Lets be real, not what we want to post for other people to read. Friendly people do not make a city great. FDR does not make a city great even though he and most of us want to go to Cuba. Lets wait a little while until things get better there.

Edited by RJB

My definition of great in relation to city,s are New York, London, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, etc. Not Havana. Good people nice 1960s cars but not close to being great. Lets be real, not what we want to post for other people to read. Friendly people do not make a city great. FDR does not make a city great even though he and most of us want to go to Cuba. Lets wait a little while until things get better there.

All I will say is wise words.......

It's all very well if that is the decision that you make for yourself, however, it must be considered that a large number (I'll hold back from saying a majority) who read this have more money than time to risk-

MV5BMTIxOTU2OTg4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjk1ODc0._V1_UY317_CR1,0,214,317_AL_.jpg None of us know how long we are promised.

Good point. We also can't count on our genes. Alan's father is still alive.

I checked the FAQs page at O and it has been updated with a lot of excellent new information; somone has been hard at work. Consulate info etc. Thanks O!

And this on the visa:

" This visa is valid for a single entry and allows the holder to stay in Cuba for 30 days. You may obtain this visa through Oceania Cruises for a separate processing and procurement fee of $75 or on your own"

There is no mention now of insurance. Perhaps that will come.

I checked the FAQs page at O and it has been updated with a lot of excellent new information; somone has been hard at work. Consulate info etc. Thanks O!

And this on the visa:

" This visa is valid for a single entry and allows the holder to stay in Cuba for 30 days. You may obtain this visa through Oceania Cruises for a separate processing and procurement fee of $75 or on your own"

There is no mention now of insurance. Perhaps that will come.

I am sure all this is still new to the cruise lines just getting their permissions in order

I wonder if you can obtain the VISA/Tourist card at the port or need to have it before boarding in Miami ??

Maybe they are checking on insurance requirements for non US citizens ;)

I am sure a lot of information will be changing as things progress

It has only been a short time since the cruises leaving from the USA have gotten the OK to go

Ok I found the answer about the tourist card ..you need it prior to boarding

Also re Cuban medical insurance it says Included in the fare

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Is medical insurance required?

All travelers to Cuba must show proof of Cuba approved medical insurance. This medical insurance will be included in the price of your cruise fare.