Why Princess?!

Hi everyone. I have cruised on HAL and NCL. I was thinking about trying a Princess cruise. Our family has special needs as my husband uses a wheelchair and our 11y daughter is very busy.

Are the Princess ships easily wheelchair accessible? Are the accessible rooms really accessible, wide halls, good theatre seating, roomy dinner rooms?

Also how are the kids problems? My daughter loves Science, crafts, video games and cooking. We are thinking about taking a Alaskan cruise in 2017.

We really appreciated any and all information greatly. Thank you

-Joy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everyone. I have cruised on HAL and NCL. I was thinking about trying a Princess cruise. Our family has special needs as my husband uses a wheelchair and our 11y daughter is very busy.

Are the Princess ships easily wheelchair accessible? Are the accessible rooms really accessible, wide halls, good theatre seating, roomy dinner rooms?

Also how are the kids problems? My daughter loves Science, crafts, video games and cooking. We are thinking about taking a Alaskan cruise in 2017.

We really appreciated any and all information greatly. Thank you

-Joy

Joy,

I am a paraplegic and have cruised for many years. In my experience Princess has very good accessibility. I think the rooms are large and the bathrooms are sufficient. I have not had any problems. My experience is that not to be too worried about the line but the newness of the ship. The newer the better access. I have not had a problem in the hallways and the theater seating is like anywhere else. You need to get a space early usually in the back. We have always had good luck with people moving if they didn’t require a space for a wheelchair. You just have to smile and be nice. I would suggest you check out your table seating when you board if you are doing traditional dining. You can have your table changed if need be. Our children are grown so I don’t know much about the kids programs but when our children used to cruise with us they always had plenty to do.

Princess is an excellent choice for Alaska....my recommendation if you have special needs...book as soon as possible.

Be sure to book an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. The Park Rangers board the ship, narrate the day in the Bay and have special activities and publications for young folks..

Edited by thinfool

We have cruised a total of 4 lines, total well over 30 cruises. My adult daughter uses a combination of wheelchair vs. walker with leg braces depending on what sort of a day it is. She has a progressive degenerative condition which means that things do change from one cruise to the next. The HA cabins on Princess are as good as anywhere, better than some. As with any line, they sometimes book up very quickly, but we've also seen them open at the time of the final payment as some people cancel. On the good side, they are located near the elevators--no need to traverse long hallways using mobility aids. On the bad side, because they are all categorized as "midship," they tend to be the most expensive cabins within a type (inside, oceanview, balcony). What I'm saying is that there may be an entry level balcony cabin at $1000 per person, but this will be the far forward or far aft cabins where there are no HA cabins. To get the HA, you have to go up a couple of designations, and usually pay a couple hundred dollars more than the entry level balcony UNLESS you can get a last minute booking.

We've been on other lines where the HA cabins were at the low end of the cabin type for price, BUT they were at the far forward or aft of the ship meaning you had to traverse hallways to get to the elevator--not easy when they could be full of host carts...not to mention those people who leave their strollers in the hall!

Bathroom--fine.

Theatre--there is a ramp entrance, but you'll need to look for it or ask. It isn't really obvious. Dinner--not a problem. Do check your location to be sure they didn't put you somewhere with a "step up." We've been pleased with our assignments, whether by luck or intent. We are usually somewhere on an aisle which makes life much easier.

Daughter had "soda and more" package. Princess was FINE with me presenting her card and getting a diet coke for her--easier for me to be the "go-fer" than for her to do it. No, we weren't cheating--I can't drink carbonated beverages for medical reasons but they didn't know that.

You obviously have the issue of tenders not being available to wheelchair guests, and some excursions not possible. That happens on all lines.

Not sure what you mean by your daughter being "busy." If you mean that she likes to always have something to do, the kid programming will keep her occupied. If you are implying that she is hyperactive or has some issue with behavior, that could be a different situation. The programming is really not geared to special needs kids although they will do their best to meet those needs.

We always use the cruise line "wheelchair assistance" for boarding as my daughter does not yet use a motorized chair and the ramps are very steep--no problem at all.

We didn't explore whether any of the pools were lift equipped. She did feel that she was not safe trying to negotiate a walking entrance to one of the adult pools. She looked at the pool steps and was like "no way."

Alaska is great. Enjoy!

Edited by moki'smommy

Thank you so much everyone. This is great information and exactly helpful.

Could you please tell me about the spa & is it accessible. What are the complementary dining options? Do you enjoy the food in MDR and is there something we should not miss? Is there a fee for room service? What can we bring on board beverage wise; bottle water, cans of pop, wine? Are the shows and comedians good.

As never being on Princess before we have know idea what to expect.

There's lots of people in wheelchairs or scooters on the ship so I assume the ship is accommodating to them. I don't know about programs for children as you'll find an older crowd on board Princess. There are children on board but not like what you would find on Carnival or Disney. Alaska is a good choice for a cruise.

Thank you so much everyone. This is great information and exactly helpful.

Could you please tell me about the spa & is it accessible. What are the complementary dining options? Do you enjoy the food in MDR and is there something we should not miss? Is there a fee for room service? What can we bring on board beverage wise; bottle water, cans of pop, wine? Are the shows and comedians good.

As never being on Princess before we have know idea what to expect.

No fee for room service just tip the person when they show up. We usually give them $2 for delivering coffee in the morning. I always write on the slip that we paid cash for the tip. You can bring soda, water, and 1 bottle of wine each per adult. Food in the MDR is good but we eat a lot in the buffet where there's more of a variety to choose from. We choose anytime dining. Can't tell you about the entertainment except for a couple of comedians. It's hit and miss for us and it varies from ship-to-ship. We spend a lot of time on our balcony in the evening so we do miss some of the entertainment.

Princess is tame compared to NCL. The decor is more subdued and the service is better. It is my personal opinion that Princess has a different demographic of more well traveled passengers and fewer children the NCL.

There is no problem with HC cabins or services on board. Your DTR should find plenty to do and might make a close friend to hang out with.

The Spa has no steps that I recall. I like the thermal hot beds and could spend an hour there for my afternoon nap. The spa pool is not HC friendly.

Room service is included in your fare (unlike NCL) . Afternoon tea in the dinning room has lovely scones and jams and clotted cream and coffee, not just tea.

Over all I think Princess is nicer then NCL. Never having sailed HAL I can't speak to that comparison

FYI room service is included in the auto daily tip so NO NEED to tip a second time, I never do. There are people who like to encourage over tipping which is your prerogative but at least realize it's a second tip. Princess already figured out how much daily fee to cover their staff so you don't have to worry about it .

You can bring water and soda on board and one bottle of wine per person over 21 years old. Extra bottles of wine are charged $15. If you want the wine served to you in the dining room they will charge you $15 if it's the first bottle you carried on without the fee and nothing extra if you paid the $15 at the boarding check in.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Nobody has mentioned the food yet... So I thought of a couple things.

International Cafe has free snacks. Some fee for the Gelato and for Coffees & Teas.. Not sure about the Norman Love Chocolates... which ships they are on

Alfredos- if it is on your ship that you are on- that is a free dining area. Pizza's & calzones. We enjoyed that. The Pizzeria on the top deck is good too. Both are free.

Alaska they generally have a 'cook out' at the pool. Chowders, Reindeer chili, Salmon- that was good. That is free too.

If you go to some of the ports fresh fish choices are a good choice too. We really enjoyed the salmon in Alaska... we did a land tour and went to several local places to eat.

We have cruised twice with our son who is a disabled veteran.

Hallways: Issues with the steward's carts. It was sometimes a challenge to navigate with a wheelchair but the stewards were quick to move things.

Theater: Unless you are on one of the brand new ships the wheelchair seating is in the very back and can fill up quickly so be early.

Cabins: The HC cabins have very accessible bathrooms and are larger than the normal cabins. My son prefers inside (he likes it dark) but my wife and I were once upgraded to a HC balcony cabin on Caribe deck on Crown Princess. It was about 1.5 times as wide as a regular balcony cabin.

We found people very accommodating as far as elevator access and the staff on Princess went above and beyond when it came to assistance. There were always two large young men at the gangplank when we were in port and they pushed my son up and assisted him going down. It was greatly appreciated.

As others have said, tendering was a no-go for him so, unfortunately, he was unable to go ashore in Maui. We did get him onto a whale watching boat though when in Alaska. :)

I am new here and never done a cruise before. But want to do an alaskan cruise in late August. How is Princess for single travelers?

Princess, like most other cruise lines is very accommodating to single passengers. You're never really alone unless you want to be. There are lots of opportunities to mix and mingle [they have get-togethers for just these types of travelers.] You can do as much or as little as you want to.

If you like to be alone, there are lots of places to sit and be alone or you can put yourself in the mix of things going on and I promise you there will ALWAYS be someone to interact with - if you want it!!!

I am new here and never done a cruise before. But want to do an alaskan cruise in late August. How is Princess for single travelers?

You might want to start a thread relative to your question rather than jump in here, also search this board. In addition there is a solo travelers board which might answer some of your questions

I'd like to add another great thing Princess has and that's Happy Hour It's from 3-4 at the Wheelhouse Lounge (the ships I've been on). It's buy one and get the same drink for $1. Those who enjoy beer show up and buy 3 at the regular price and take 3 back to their cabin to enjoy later, or take all 6 and enjoy them later. If you like wine, Princess also has wine packages that are reasonable. You can order it on the first day, there's usually crew members around where you can purchase it.

Also, there's another Happy Hour in the late evening. We haven't been to those as it's too late for us to go - and too late to drink.

Edited by elliair

FYI room service is included in the auto daily tip so NO NEED to tip a second time, I never do. There are people who like to encourage over tipping which is your prerogative but at least realize it's a second tip. Princess already figured out how much daily fee to cover their staff so you don't have to worry about it .

The paltry amount of tip that goes to the person that delivers our morning coffee is absurd! Mainly because the daily gratuity is divided between so many!

I always "tip" with a $2 bill and leave the room service tip alone. So I guess that we fall into the category referred to above. But so be it, because when I want my coffee at 6:30am I am willing to pay a little extra for the smiling face that brings it! On our last trip we had the same young lady and she told us on the first morning that she was assigned to our group of cabins. It was nice because she was such a friendly young lady. So Tip or Not to Tip, that is the question! My answer is "TIP"!

Just Mike

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

The paltry amount of tip that goes to the person that delivers our morning coffee is absurd! Mainly because the daily gratuity is divided between so many!

I always "tip" with a $2 bill and leave the room service tip alone. So I guess that we fall into the category referred to above. But so be it, because when I want my coffee at 6:30am I am willing to pay a little extra for the smiling face that brings it! On our last trip we had the same young lady and she told us on the first morning that she was assigned to our group of cabins. It was nice because she was such a friendly young lady. So Tip or Not to Tip, that is the question! My answer is "TIP"!

Just Mike

We do the same and I don't try to deter anyone from tipping the crew who deserve every penny.

Just Mike

My fast, good friend Vinnie once said...

"It's not tipping I believe in. It's overtipping."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100212/quotes

Truth there!

Ok I understand that tipping is a touchy subject.

Can anyone please tell me about the complementary dining options with Princess? What's great, what's not. Should we really splurge and get in oceanview/balcony or save our money to spend on board?

What excursions in Alaska are a no go with my husbands wheelchair?

Have a great day[emoji924][emoji4][emoji106]