The Cost of my Cruise Insurance Is Going Up!

I got the following in an email from our T/A.

Our insurance coverage will change effective August 5, 2016. Our policy will have some great new coverage changes and, as a result, the insurance cost will increase for those guests in the following age groups:

60-70 years old

76-79 yeas old

80 years and up

Our records indicate you have an outstanding quote for insurance for an upcoming trip and a guest listed on your policy falls into one of the age categories listed above. You can avoid the increase by purchasing your policy before the effective change date of 8/5/16.

I skate by on this but it does catch my wife.

I will call my T/A this afternoon to see if he has any additional info but I expect it is nothing more that a price increase from the insurance company.

I got the following in an email from our T/A.

I skate by on this but it does catch my wife.

I will call my T/A this afternoon to see if he has any additional info but I expect it is nothing more that a price increase from the insurance company.

Is this for Royal's Cruise Care? In the past, Royal's insurance premium has not been age based.

Is this for Royal's Cruise Care? In the past, Royal's insurance premium has not been age based.

No! It is not the RCI insurance.

MY T/A uses Allianz Insurance which we believe provides better, more comprehensive coverage than RCI.

If you cruise often, one option may be to get an annual policy-many are available.

In my case, both my wife and I are on Medicare, which doesn't pay anything out of country, So, we got an annual policy through GeoBlue which covers medical expense and evacuation. It does not cover any cancellations etc., but that is not that important to us.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

We have used Allianz and Travelex and both have always had age restrictions as far as price. I think they are just being broken down to different prices now for ages over 65. Makes sense to charge a 75 yr old more than a 65 yr old. Etc.

In my case, both my wife and I are on Medicare, which doesn't pay anything out of country...

There is at least one supplemental policy that does. Not sure if it's available in your state, but my MIL has a Schedule F supplemental policy through United Health Care (and before that, through AARP) that covers 80% off Medicare allowed expenses, and some other expenses, while traveling outside of the country.

Trainman-2

If you have already paid for this insurance you should be "grandfathered" in.

I used to sell TravelEx and when they would raise the premiums or anything else if someone have already paid it would not change for them.

Well that's exactly what the TA is trying to do, to get them to buy the policy earlier vs later.

"Our records indicate you have an outstanding quote for insurance..... You can avoid the increase by purchasing your policy before the effective change date"...

We've been running the risk of not buying it. Three cruises in so far without insurance, knock on wood...

Yep. No one likes buying insurance but considering the sizable investment of some cruises, it is worth it. I guess you have to ask yourself if you would be comfortable "losing" that money. When my illness came out of nowhere a few years back, we had to use the insurance, first time making a claim. We got back every single cent. :) It was peace of mind at a difficult time.

We've been running the risk of not buying it. Three cruises in so far without insurance, knock on wood. I should be knocking the wood above my shoulders. :D

I can absorb the cost of canceling a cruise in penalty phase, or interrupting the cruise itself. However, it would be a financial hardship to pay for medical evacuation back to the states. Most hospitals outside the U.S. require payment in full before releasing the patient, which would be a hardship, as well.

We also buy an annual travel medical policy. Geo Blue has no pre-existing condition clause, which was the deciding factor for us.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Edited by travelgoddess1

I talked with my T/A a few minutes ago and the increase in rates will be about 1%

We have already gotten our insurance for our cruise on the Harmony of the Seas in February 2017 so we are grandfathered in at our present rate.

Our T/A's policy is customized to provide some increased coverage in selected areas. The main things for us are the "cancel for any reason" and "medivac to the USA" if necessary.

YES! We are old!

Another very inexpensive option would be a credit card having Worldwide Travel Accident Insurance and Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection. I pay $95.00 a year for the card. It covers everything I need.

Does it have an annual cap, and does it cover more than one claim per year? Just curious how a credit card company can offer an annual policy for less than what you would pay for travel protection for one trip.

Does it have an annual cap, and does it cover more than one claim per year? Just curious how a credit card company can offer an annual policy for less than what you would pay for travel protection for one trip.

No annual cap and you could have more than 1 claim a year. I don't know if I can mention the card on this web site? It's one of the major companies. "It's everywhere you want to be". :) I had it for years and have used the benefit.

No annual cap and you could have more than 1 claim a year. I don't know if I can mention the card on this web site? It's one of the major companies. "It's everywhere you want to be". :) I had it for years and have used the benefit.

Are pre-existing conditions covered?