Lisa Lutoff-Perlo and X's new direction

russg140

May I ask what dollar amount you associate with these perks that you would have truly chosen to spend regardless of if they weren't included? Compared again to the dollars spent on the cruise I would estimate a small fraction. I just don't think the 'points game' is worth sacrificing experimenting with other brands. Vacations cost a good amount of money and of course every bit helps but if drink packages are becoming a norm and you can do without laundry perks (or pay) we can't be held hostage by the loyalty schemes.

It has nothing to do with points as we will never make Zenith. The Elite+ perks for us save us at least $60 per day on average, which adds up especially on the 14 night Canada/New England cruises.

Maybe $60 a day is nothing to you, but at the end of 14 days that is $840.

It has nothing to do with points as we will never make Zenith. The Elite+ perks for us save us at least $60 per day on average, which adds up especially on the 14 night Canada/New England cruises.

Maybe $60 a day is nothing to you, but at the end of 14 days that is $840.

That's $840 Celebrity would rather have

That's $840 Celebrity would rather have

They are the ones offering the Elite+ benefits and without them we would have most likely tried other cruise lines.

We really did almost book a Princess cruise and just as I was about to book is when they upgraded the Captain's Club benefits and added all those Elite Perks, now we are Elite+ and we do enjoy and use the perks. Especially, the Elite breakfast, afternoon happy hour, free 240 minutes of Internet, free Cafe al Bacio lattes, cappucinos, tea, wine coupons, laundry/dry cleaning coupons (although on 7 day cruises we rarely use the laundry coupon).

Especially, the Elite breakfast, afternoon happy hour, free 240 minutes of Internet, free Cafe al Bacio lattes, cappucinos, tea, wine coupons, laundry/dry cleaning coupons (although on 7 day cruises we rarely use the laundry coupon).

I guess that's my point. IF (and I do realize this isn't a given based on how you book) you book with the 'classic' drink package perk, and you're rarely using the laundry coupon, the financially pertinent perks become 240 minutes of internet and whatever value you can associate Elite breakfast vs any other breakfast. I'll ignore the % off coupons.

With that logic (and again, I understand not everyone is booking with that perk or finds a way for it to be of value to them vs using the coupons), the monetary value is extremely low and one shouldn't 'feel' like starting over with status is a big deal.

The real big deal for us is that other cruise lines in this 'tier' of the industry don't have such generous drink packages available, for 'free' or for purchase. I for one enjoy them immensely as I hate nickel and dime vacations. That is one of the main reasons I would not move to, say, Cunard (and parallel or downstream lines we lose waters, coffees, max value drinks, etc). I realize more upscale lines are more all-inclusive but, again, I value the energy of a larger pool of a younger demographic which they just don't deliver with any consistency.

She wants attract new customers (families included) that are interested in doing overnights to attend things like the Jazz Festival in NO. What?! I book a cruise to be ON THE SHIP. Why not have a Jazz Festival ON THE SHIP? She wants people that want to "do stuff" not just enjoy the onboard experience.

I agree with you. I especially agree booking a cruise to be on the ship. What happened to those days. That's why I think most of us fell in love with cruising. Being on the ship.

Then how do ya'll explain the Mardi Gras cruise? Docked for 3 days, sold out at some of the highest prices ever for a Celebrity sailing? Cruise Critic members en-mass booked it.

Those kind of sailings are evidently what people want.

Then how do ya'll explain the Mardi Gras cruise? Docked for 3 days, sold out at some of the highest prices ever for a Celebrity sailing? Cruise Critic members en-mass booked it.

I guess people like Mardi Gras. I know I wouldn't book it. I have no desire to go to Mardi Gras or New Orleans. But I could see how it would sell. I mean Mardi Gras happens once a year. So it's easy to sell out. Now if they had cruises going to New Orleans all year long, do you think all those cruises would sell out?

I guess people like Mardi Gras. I know I wouldn't book it. I have no desire to go to Mardi Gras or New Orleans. But I could see how it would sell. I mean Mardi Gras happens once a year. So it's easy to sell out. Now if they had cruises going to New Orleans all year long, do you think all those cruises would sell out?

No idea, but here they are offering a parked at the dock for 2 days Jazz cruise.

From what a very good friend that 'sells travel' ;) told us, the 40 or so cruises with the over nights in the Caribbean, are selling well with very strong demand and little price drop.

As I have said for a few years, Celebrity books in excess of 1,000,000 passengers every year. We are but a tiny drop in their bucket.

And with the poll I started back in 2013, 86% of the 271 votes liked what Celebrity was doing. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1845752

EW

ps: I will temper this with the fact this was pre Lisa.

Edited by wallie5446

Guess I have to eat crow about X. Just booked the new sailing to the islands ABC for May of 2017 to celebrate our wedding anniv. three islands we have never been to and saved the airfare in going to Alaska avoid the red eye flight back home and saved $3000. The new promo got a the Best package an excellent veranda location with extended balcony. It is hard to switch cruise lines with our bennies. We are in the same boat Ann Marie. So we have 3 cruises booked with some $450 OBC. and very low prices. Larry and Karen

Maybe then I could finally get our 26 year old son back on a cruise ship. He hasn't cruised with us since he was 16. He and his friends have no desire to cruise.

My kids 21 and 26 want to cruise....just not with mom and dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Who has a Mardi Gras cruise? It's in February. The Jazz cruise, on Equinox, is no until May.

Who has a Mardi Gras cruise? It's in February. The Jazz cruise, on Equinox, is no until May.

Booked a 1A the first hour it was released and secured a great hump cabin. Prices have more than doubled for any cabin the becomes available since I booked. Sometimes good to book early especially with unique itinaries.

Booked a 1A the first hour it was released and secured a great hump cabin. Prices have more than doubled for any cabin the becomes available since I booked. Sometimes good to book early especially with unique itinaries.

So did we also 1A. 8228. Would like to meet you as I have always admired your on the point comments. Larry

The "premium" cruise line space is already well served - not just by Celebrity - but also by Princess (crossover mainstream/premium) and Holland America.

Celebrity has decided to go a different direction from those two lines, and is clearly targeting the 20-, 30- and 40-something crowd and doing so with modern, contemporary, sexy ships, and unique onboard offerings.

While the OP might think that everyone in this crowd is saddled with student debt, Celebrity seems to be doing pretty well in this demographic - seeing significantly higher per berth revenue overall than HAL (as one example). Unlike many of the 70+ crowd on HAL whom don't spend a single cent onboard other than the daily gratuity charge, the 20 to 40-something crowd are apparently gladly buying up to GoBest providing additional incremental revenue on the cruise fare, and spending money onboard on spa treatments, gaming, shore excursions, specialty dining and more.

The hotel sector is way ahead of the cruise sector in carving out well defined brands that squarely target the 20- to 40-something crowd looking for an upscale, modern, trendy vibe (think of Starwood's W Hotels brand, Aloft brand, or Marriott's foray into the Moxy and Edition brands, or Hyatt's Andaz brand).

Celebrity fulfills a niche very similar to these brands and they are clearly starting to reap the rewards.

I'm a 30-something and a loyal X cruiser, and myself and my friends all find Celebrity to be a perfect fit for us with their contemporary, upscale ships and the overall experience that X provides today. I appreciate the art work, the attention to detail, the upscale and modern feel of the ships, and the consistently stellar service from the onboard crew. I've been fortunate enough through my line of work to have travelled on over 100 cruises, experiencing everything from Carnival to Crystal, Windstar to AmaWaterways and everything in between. But when it comes to a vacation with my friends - Celebrity is our brand. We won't even consider other lines anymore.

I especially appreciate the investment X has made in the bar product - X has had the best bar product at sea bar none for some time now. How many other cruise lines have 40 different brands of vodka, over 40 different beer selections, an up-beat ice-topped martini bars shaking up hand crafted cocktails made from scratch - including fresh juices instead of cheap sweet and sour mixes - the list goes on. Celebrity was at the forefront in the cruise industry of seeing the trend for a renaissance of the classic cocktail experience with a renewed interest in fresh ingredients and exciting creations.

Likewise, the dining on Celebrity has continued to evolve, and over the last few years - I'd argue that Celebrity has the best overall dining experience for a big ship cruise line before stepping up to the Deluxe or Luxury lines (Azamara, Oceania, Regent, Seabourn, Crystal etc).

Holland America certainly has a fine, solid product - and for those that bemoan buying a cruise to be "on a ship that feels like a ship" - folks - you have your brand here!

But all cruise lines/brands cannot be all things to all people - that's why we have choices!

If folks really feel that Celebrity is such an awful experience because of their efforts to appeal to a significant, ready-to-spend 20- to 40-something crowd - then yes - there will be plenty of options on more "traditional" lines such as Princess or HAL or Oceania. FWIW, I find Princess ships to be dreary and drab - even the new Royal and Regal can't stack up to X Solstice Class ships - both in the stateroom appointments, the decor, and the overall space and lack of crowding onboard. But other folks just love Princess. Choices!

Celebrity changed the industry with the roll out of the best beverage packages at sea - followed up by a de facto move to all-inclusive by having the beverage package permanently available year round on the GoBig program. At certain times of the year you can even get GoBetter for free. You can get on a Caribbean cruise on a beautiful Solstice Class ship, for $899 USD in Balcony accommodations, and have a beverage package and $150 USD per person onboard credit included. The value proposition - if you're flexible - is unbeatable.

For the 20- to 40-something crowd looking for a sophisticated, upscale yet not-too-stuffy experience - X is delivering and I think after several years of being a bit of a "lost brand" - X has finally found their true calling and niche.

Edited by YYC F/A

YYC F/A - I have to agree with you 110%!!!! I am in my mid 40s, have been sailing on Celebrity for over a decade and have sailed on all of the "big 6" lines as well as some of the luxury brands. To me Celebrity always has, and continues to be the best fit for my personality and lifestyle. I love the energy of spots like the martini bar and the sleek contemporary design of the ships. My only complaint is that for the types of cruises I prefer Celebrity can sometimes price me out.

That said it looks like I may return to Celebrity next fall on the Equinox. The newly announced sailings for fall 2017 are well priced and we have put a deposit on an AQ room for one of the 10nt ABC island itineraries with GoBest. We have the Royal Princess 15nt transatlantic booked as well with comped beverage package and pre paid grats for a similar price. Now we just have to decide which one to do, but the decision can wait almost a year :D

That said it looks like I may return to Celebrity next fall on the Equinox. The newly announced sailings for fall 2017 are well priced and we have put a deposit on an AQ room for one of the 10nt ABC island itineraries with GoBest. We have the Royal Princess 15nt transatlantic booked as well with comped beverage package and pre paid grats for a similar price. Now we just have to decide which one to do, but the decision can wait almost a year :D

Those Equinox sailings are a DEAL right now! I am thinking of doing exact same itin on her, but in May.

I do like the Trans-atlantics though, so that is a tough choice. Lots of sea days and a beverage package gets me in trouble sometimes. ;)

Those Equinox sailings are a DEAL right now! I am thinking of doing exact same itin on her, but in May.

I do like the Trans-atlantics though, so that is a tough choice. Lots of sea days and a beverage package gets me in trouble sometimes. ;)

I'd book that May cruise ASAP!!!! My November cruise has already gone up by about $500 since I booked it Tuesday!!!!! :eek:

We are in the same boat Ann Marie. So we have 3 cruises booked with some $450 OBC. and very low prices. Larry and Karen

At least you guys live in FL and have some more options. All we have is Summit to Bermuda or Canada/New England - where prices have gone up, up, up every year.

The "premium" cruise line space is already well served - not just by Celebrity - but also by Princess (crossover mainstream/premium) and Holland America.

Celebrity has decided to go a different direction from those two lines, and is clearly targeting the 20-, 30- and 40-something crowd and doing so with modern, contemporary, sexy ships, and unique onboard offerings.

While the OP might think that everyone in this crowd is saddled with student debt, Celebrity seems to be doing pretty well in this demographic - seeing significantly higher per berth revenue overall than HAL (as one example). Unlike many of the 70+ crowd on HAL whom don't spend a single cent onboard other than the daily gratuity charge, the 20 to 40-something crowd are apparently gladly buying up to GoBest providing additional incremental revenue on the cruise fare, and spending money onboard on spa treatments, gaming, shore excursions, specialty dining and more.

The hotel sector is way ahead of the cruise sector in carving out well defined brands that squarely target the 20- to 40-something crowd looking for an upscale, modern, trendy vibe (think of Starwood's W Hotels brand, Aloft brand, or Marriott's foray into the Moxy and Edition brands, or Hyatt's Andaz brand).

Celebrity fulfills a niche very similar to these brands and they are clearly starting to reap the rewards.

I'm a 30-something and a loyal X cruiser, and myself and my friends all find Celebrity to be a perfect fit for us with their contemporary, upscale ships and the overall experience that X provides today. I appreciate the art work, the attention to detail, the upscale and modern feel of the ships, and the consistently stellar service from the onboard crew. I've been fortunate enough through my line of work to have travelled on over 100 cruises, experiencing everything from Carnival to Crystal, Windstar to AmaWaterways and everything in between. But when it comes to a vacation with my friends - Celebrity is our brand. We won't even consider other lines anymore.

I especially appreciate the investment X has made in the bar product - X has had the best bar product at sea bar none for some time now. How many other cruise lines have 40 different brands of vodka, over 40 different beer selections, an up-beat ice-topped martini bars shaking up hand crafted cocktails made from scratch - including fresh juices instead of cheap sweet and sour mixes - the list goes on. Celebrity was at the forefront in the cruise industry of seeing the trend for a renaissance of the classic cocktail experience with a renewed interest in fresh ingredients and exciting creations.

Likewise, the dining on Celebrity has continued to evolve, and over the last few years - I'd argue that Celebrity has the best overall dining experience for a big ship cruise line before stepping up to the Deluxe or Luxury lines (Azamara, Oceania, Regent, Seabourn, Crystal etc).

Holland America certainly has a fine, solid product - and for those that bemoan buying a cruise to be "on a ship that feels like a ship" - folks - you have your brand here!

But all cruise lines/brands cannot be all things to all people - that's why we have choices!

If folks really feel that Celebrity is such an awful experience because of their efforts to appeal to a significant, ready-to-spend 20- to 40-something crowd - then yes - there will be plenty of options on more "traditional" lines such as Princess or HAL or Oceania. FWIW, I find Princess ships to be dreary and drab - even the new Royal and Regal can't stack up to X Solstice Class ships - both in the stateroom appointments, the decor, and the overall space and lack of crowding onboard. But other folks just love Princess. Choices!

Celebrity changed the industry with the roll out of the best beverage packages at sea - followed up by a de facto move to all-inclusive by having the beverage package permanently available year round on the GoBig program. At certain times of the year you can even get GoBetter for free. You can get on a Caribbean cruise on a beautiful Solstice Class ship, for $899 USD in Balcony accommodations, and have a beverage package and $150 USD per person onboard credit included. The value proposition - if you're flexible - is unbeatable.

For the 20- to 40-something crowd looking for a sophisticated, upscale yet not-too-stuffy experience - X is delivering and I think after several years of being a bit of a "lost brand" - X has finally found their true calling and niche.

A lot of fluff here, but it's pretty obvious that the drinks is what gets you to come back. A sentence here and there about some of the other draws but there are paragraphs about the alcohol. If that's what you like, man up.

Celebrity isn't trying to necessarily draw the younger crowd, they are after the drinkers. That's where they make all their money. Drink all you want but be considerate about the people around you that don't need to drink to enjoy their cruise.

YYC F/A - I have to agree with you 110%!!!! I am in my mid 40s, have been sailing on Celebrity for over a decade and have sailed on all of the "big 6" lines as well as some of the luxury brands. To me Celebrity always has, and continues to be the best fit for my personality and lifestyle. I love the energy of spots like the martini bar and the sleek contemporary design of the ships. My only complaint is that for the types of cruises I prefer Celebrity can sometimes price me out.

We love Celebrity, but recently when researching for cruises out of Sydney, Australia I compared cruises to New Zealand for 11-12 days. I checked Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and NCL.

Celebrity's price for a 12 day cruise was about $3000 pp for a balcony, but included to bennies like the beverage package, free grats, etc.

NCL's price for 10 day cruise balcony was $1650 pp and included two bennies as well.

Royal Caribbean's cruise was 11 days with no bennies and $1450 pp.

While we have never cruised on Royal, we booked that one as well as the transpacific to Seattle, which had a pretty good price as well for a 22 day cruise.

As elites on Celebrity and Platinum on NCL, we have some benefits like a free bag of laundry on both. On X we have elite happy hour, which saves us a lot on alcohol. On NCL we get a meal in a specialty restaurant.

Taking in consideration our value of the bennies, Royal's price was about the same as NCL's price, but Royal's was an 11 day cruise. Also, we are diamond on Royal and have their free happy hour.

What was interesting to us was that Celebrity's prices were so much out of line with NCL and Royal.

Even taking off the modest value of beverage package on X and free gratuities, the Celebrity price was several hundred dollars more than what we will pay on Royal.

Celebrity isn't trying to necessarily draw the younger crowd, they are after the drinkers. That's where they make all their money. Drink all you want but be considerate about the people around you that don't need to drink to enjoy their cruise.

Not if someone has a package. The red wine my wife drank last cruise had a menu price of $13.50 a glass. With the pkg we paid .59 cents. Add 3-4-5 Perrier ea, 2-3 specialty coffees ea, many bottle waters, smoothies from the Aqua Café, me going thru the craft beer choices, juices, then a few cocktails too boot. Break even would be closer.

And there is not a lot of margin from the 3-4-5 Specialty restaurants, food cost.

They make their $$ filling cabins.

Even taking off the modest value of beverage package on X and free gratuities, the Celebrity price was several hundred dollars more than what we will pay on Royal.

Kinda like a Toyota and a Lexus, engines built in the same factory, and assembly done in the same complex of building's, but the Lexus has a higher cost.

We have more days on ship with RCCL since 1990, than we do with Celebrity. The on ship product delivered by Celebrity is worth that higher cost for us.

EW

Celebrity has decided to go a different direction from those two lines, and is clearly targeting the 20-, 30- and 40-something crowd and doing so with .... sexy ships,....

"Sexy Ships" - really?

As much as I've enjoyed our cruises on Celebrity, looking back at our cruises from Southampton docks, I'm struggling to see how Sexy Ships applies

Maybe we should try one of these "specialty cruises";)

A lot of fluff here, but it's pretty obvious that the drinks is what gets you to come back. A sentence here and there about some of the other draws but there are paragraphs about the alcohol. If that's what you like, man up.

I've been a fan of X and cruising on X long before they rolled out any kind of all-inclusive beverage packages, so no - your assumption is wrong I'm afraid.

But yes, I think Celebrity has the best bar product at sea. Yes, I appreciate the investment they've made in that - particularly the craft cocktail experience (old Molecular Bar, new World Class Bar etc).

If indicating (in one paragraph - out of thirteen) that I find the bar offering an enjoyable part of the vacation and something of note that differentiates the X offering from the competition - if this means I need to "man up" - not sure what else I have to say to you! :eek:

FWIW, most lines (NCL, Royal, Princess, HAL) have followed suit and offer some kind of beverage package these days. If it was just about quantity of booze - then the points I made are all moot. All the lines offer packages these day. It's not about this though. It's not about drinking to excess (or eating to excess for that matter)... so much as appreciating X's unique venues and offerings - both for cocktails/wine and for the dining experience - and that these are things that are important components for the 20- to 40-something crowd.

The barely masked inference that 20- to 40-somethings will only want to get on X to drink themselves to the point of being inconsiderate to others is very much your view, and actually fairly insulting. :rolleyes:

Edited by YYC F/A