Problems on the Elbe?

Phillygirl3

I think he said that the refund was 25% of the per diem for for 5 of the days. BTW, that's the refund they gave us last year. We did also get an additional future cruise credit that was a flat amount not based on what we paid.

Example, with made up numbers for ease. 10 day cruise. You paid $2800, I paid $2400.

Your per diem $280, 25% is $70, so refund is $350.

My per diem is $240, 25% is $60, so my refund $300

Yes, we are on Viking for th Berlin to Prague trip and I am going to keep my fingers crossed that the trip won't be problematic due to the river level. I'm wondering what one does when one day is supposed to be cruising--does that mean a whole day on a bus--oh no!!

Phillygirl,

What Viking ship will you be on? The two new 90 passenger ships Astrild and Beyla are much lighter than the longships because they have one deck less and use lighter materials. This means they can sail in 18" shallower water.

We are sailing on the Alsrild in September 2017

Ian

Phillygirl,

What Viking ship will you be on? The two new 90 passenger ships Astrild and Beyla are much lighter than the longships because they have one deck less and use lighter materials. This means they can sail in 18" shallower water.

We are sailing on the Alsrild in September 2017

Ian

I believe they also have a water jet propulsion system, instead of propellers.

This is also supposed to help deal with low water.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

...Not sure why the cruise lines have invested in this river...
Seems obvious to me. Cruise lines invested on the Elbe (just like everywhere else) hoping to make money. There are thousands of people who have done the Rhine, Main, Danube, Seine, Rhone etc looking for something else to do and are willing to take the chance. You should be questioning why are passengers booking the Elbe, rather than why cruise lines are happy to take the money of those passengers.

Why did I book the Elbe?

Pre cruise visit with family living up by border with Denmark. Several days in Berlin, where I was stationed 40+ years ago. Wittenburg Lutherstadt. Dresden. Several other cities in the former DDR. Due to low water we had additional nights in Wittenburg and Dresden which was fantastic. And, a couple days in Prague.

We booked at a good price and, in addition, were fairly compensated for deviation due to the low waters.

You just need to know what you are getting ready bTo.

Edited by CPT Trips

I'm booked with Viking at the end of September: Prague to Berlin. I too booked because of the itinerary. I knew what might possibly happen when I booked over a year ago. We are travelling with another couple. We have made up our minds to "go with the flow" or lack of.

Hi, Phillygirl3. We did the Elbe last year on Viking and never sailed and guess what -- we had a blast, enjoyed seeing the region, got some river time on an added excursion on a small daytripping steamboat out of Dresden, enjoyed the camaraderie of passengers, loved the Meissen experience, Dresden was magic (going back there on own for longer stay), Prague and Berlin on either end, terrific.

It's important to know going in that the Elbe is tricky. I'd like to go back adn try it again for the real experience, but it was a great trip anyway.

Happy to answer any questions. The trip was last September.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Yes, we are on Viking for th Berlin to Prague trip and I am going to keep my fingers crossed that the trip won't be problematic due to the river level. I'm wondering what one does when one day is supposed to be cruising--does that mean a whole day on a bus--oh no!!

The itinerary is fantastic, it's just not a real river cruise. The Moldava at Prague is so shallow it looks like you could walk across. We did a short tour on a 20 passenger boat. Locals were out on paddle boats and in rubber floats. Prague is great!

I have a photo of a local paddle wheeler from high up on Castle Koenigstein near Dresden. The wake of the boat reaches both shores at the same time. I don't think the river Elbe could carry a hotel ship at this point. Locals told me that the depth of the river was at 'normal' (July 2016). The trip goes through a beautiful area which is also great for hiking. Dresden is amazing!

Berlin has many boat tours on its rivers Spree and Havel and on the surrounding lakes where the Prussian kings built castles. The locks are not wide enough for hotel ships. The boat tours are scenic and relaxing.

Would you book this wonderful area of the Czech Republic and Germany if it were advertised as a bus trip?

Edited by Floridiana

Would you book this wonderful area of the Czech Republic and Germany if it were advertised as a bus trip?

You would pay a lot less if it were advertised as a bus trip, and you would be much more likely to get what you had booked and paid for. It's great that people still had a good time on their "non-cruise" cruises, but IMO it is dishonest of cruise lines to keep offering the trip as cruises -- and charging river cruise prices -- when they know (or as a lawyer would say "should have known") that they are unlikely to sail at all.