Passport Card

septrack

Thank you--that is exactly what I keep saying' date=' but no one seems to realize this point.

The passport card is not legal to return to the US by air. If you want the photo to carry in your wallet, fine. It MIGHT even make it a little easier to get that emergency passport if needed. But it cannot be used in place of a passport book.[/quote']

I would say the great majority do realize that a passport card is not a passport book and would be of no use if one has to leave the ship and return in a different manner.

That said, it all depends upon what you mean by "works just fine". If you mean it can be used to board the ship. If you mean it can be used to go through customs upon your return on board the ship. If those are what you mean, then, yes, the passport card "works just fine".

The most important point is that you do not need a passport card unless you do not have a birth certificate. But, since you have to have a birth certificate to get a passport card, why bother with getting one?

The passport card was designed for those who frequently travel, by land, between the US and Canada and Mexico. It is as convenient as a driver's license and it does "work just fine" for that purpose. It was not designed to be a substitute for travel outside the US except for those very specific purposes. A passport card works no better than a driver's license and a birth certificate. It's really a waste of money unless you frequently drive to Mexico or Canada.

Of course, if your objective is just to save a few dollars, then it "works just fine" too. That is, until you really need a passport book.

I don't agree with the anti-card just have your birth certificate posts. I have both the book (which stays in the safe) and the card, which is all I need to cruise, return, carry off ship in ports of call. It is also effective as a photo ID for air travel within the U.S. (done that several times). I am NOT going to carry my birth certificate around with me. Too big and too easily damaged (and a PITA to get replaced).

Yes, I have the book for emergencies (and European travel), but that little card is quite handy. Also, as technology advances, I expect the card will become more and more widely accepted.

...The passport card is not legal to return to the US by air. If you want the photo to carry in your wallet' date=' fine. It MIGHT even make it a little easier to get that emergency passport if needed. But it cannot be used in place of a passport book.[/quote']

I personally travel with both, and keep them in separate places. I figure that if my passport book is lost or stolen, the card gives me at least some sort of back up.

I was on a cruise once years ago on which all passengers were required to turn in our original passports en masse to ship security. Whatever country it was (Guatemala?) wanted them available to view upon demand, apparently. I have to imagine that at least a few were lost or misplaced in the process.

I personally travel with both, and keep them in separate places. I figure that if my passport book is lost or stolen, the card gives me at least some sort of back up.

I was on a cruise once years ago on which all passengers were required to turn in our original passports en masse to ship security. Whatever country it was (Guatemala?) wanted them available to view upon demand, apparently. I have to imagine that at least a few were lost or misplaced in the process.

I was on one cruise where we were required to turn in our passports. The ship was quite organized--we were assigned a location and time for the turn in alphabetically. We were issued a receipt for the passport(s). After that port, there was again an organized system to get our passports back by turning in the receipt. While it was a pain, it was not a mess and I doubt that any were lost. The ship's personnel seemed to be taking this very seriously.

I don't agree with the anti-card just have your birth certificate posts. I have both the book (which stays in the safe) and the card, which is all I need to cruise, return, carry off ship in ports of call. It is also effective as a photo ID for air travel within the U.S. (done that several times). I am NOT going to carry my birth certificate around with me. Too big and too easily damaged (and a PITA to get replaced).

Yes, I have the book for emergencies (and European travel), but that little card is quite handy. Also, as technology advances, I expect the card will become more and more widely accepted.

I too have a difficult time understanding why any American would travel outside the US anywhere without a regular passport - it's not that expensive and is good for 10 years. I have the regular and a card besides. I live close to the Mexican border so crossing in on foot the card works fine. Recently I applied for Global Entry and the customs agent that did our interview during the process explained I could use my Global Entry card instead to just cross over the border. Bottom line, regardless of your age/health issues, none of us knows what the day will bring when we step off that ship.... Better safe than sorry. I was talking to a TA recently that went to great lengths to explain to me that her clients "really didn't need the passport"... could just use birth certificate, etc. My response to her was- "And what if one of your clients falls over cobblestone, or gets hit by a car just by chance, while they're at the port???" For your own protection and peace of mind, bite the bullet and get a regular passport. Wishing everyone safe travels!!

"Great" only until you have an emergency and need a real passport. It won't get you back into the country if you have to leave the ship. Seriously, a passport card is no better than your birth certificate.

Actually she would be fine since she does have a passport;

"My passport book is still good, but it's in my maiden name"

She can carry her valid passport and use it in case of emergency. But if her trip is booked in her married name she cannot use it to embark.

But the cost to update the passport to her new name is probably the same as getting the card.

Actually she would be fine since she does have a passport;

"My passport book is still good, but it's in my maiden name"

She can carry her valid passport and use it in case of emergency. But if her trip is booked in her married name she cannot use it to embark.

But the cost to update the passport to her new name is probably the same as getting the card.

Of course, she could book the cruise in her maiden name.

Of course, she could book the cruise in her maiden name.

My son and his new wife are on a month long honeymoon in Europe. She hasn't changed any of her ID yet as her passport is in her other name. She'll change things once they get home but it would have been a mess trying to get everything changed in advance.

I was on one cruise where we were required to turn in our passports. The ship was quite organized--we were assigned a location and time for the turn in alphabetically. We were issued a receipt for the passport(s). After that port' date=' there was again an organized system to get our passports back by turning in the receipt. While it was a pain, it was not a mess and I doubt that any were lost. The ship's personnel seemed to be taking this very seriously.[/quote']

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that ship personnel didn't take the process seriously--they did. But any time several thousand documents are potentially being handled by foreign authorities, anything could happen. My point was I had a backup plan :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

My son and his new wife are on a month long honeymoon in Europe. She hasn't changed any of her ID yet as her passport is in her other name. She'll change things once they get home but it would have been a mess trying to get everything changed in advance.

Smart idea. I've known brides who tried to do a name change in advance of the honeymoon, and it didn't always go smoothly.

I was on one cruise where we were required to turn in our passports. The ship was quite organized--we were assigned a location and time for the turn in alphabetically. We were issued a receipt for the passport(s). After that port' date=' there was again an organized system to get our passports back by turning in the receipt. While it was a pain, it was not a mess and I doubt that any were lost. The ship's personnel seemed to be taking this very seriously.[/quote']

For the past couple of years they have changed the procedure.

If collected on the ship, the collection is done by your cabin steward who will give you the receipts. Also the return is done by the cabin steward who will collect your receipts.

Sometimes the passports are collected when you check-in on shore on embarkation day. Return is still by the cabin stewards.

We were on the Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise around the horn last year. We checked in per usual showing our passports and ship document to get our sea cards. However they kept our passports and Argentina entry documents (not needed anymore) and gave us receipts. They were not returned until the last night of the cruise. Yes on some cruises depending on the countries visited Princess will collect and hold your passport giving you a receipt to be used to retrieve it. While on shore in ports, we used our sea card and DL as identification.

Edited by satxdiver

We were on the Santiago to Buenos Aires cruise around the horn last year. We checked in per usual showing our passports and ship document to get our sea cards. However they kept our passports and Argentina entry documents (not needed anymore) and gave us receipts. They were not returned until the last night of the cruise. Yes on some cruises depending on the countries visited Princess will collect and hold your passport giving you a receipt to be used to retrieve it. While on shore in ports, we used our sea card and DL as identification.

What makes me uncomfortable about having passports collected is this: What happens if you become sick or injured while in port, and need air evacuation (requiring your passport) from a land-based hospital? How much "red tape" would then be involved for a travel companion or some sort of courier to get the ship to release it to them if the local authorities want it available for their review onboard the ship? Yikes!

What makes me uncomfortable about having passports collected is this: What happens if you become sick or injured while in port, and need air evacuation (requiring your passport) from a land-based hospital? How much "red tape" would then be involved for a travel companion or some sort of courier to get the ship to release it to them if the local authorities want it available for their review onboard the ship? Yikes!

A call to the port agent for Princess would take care of any issues. The port agent would know how to deal with the locals and to get the needed passports from the ship. You should always know how to contact the port agent as this individual is your helping hand for any problem you are having while off the ship.

When pax are about to miss the ship, a ship officer goes to your stateroom, opens the safe and removes money and passports and gives them to the port agent before the ship sails. The port agent will then look for you to assist you in getting either to the ship or home. The port agent is your friend in a time of need so always know how to contact them.

...The port agent would know how to deal with the locals and to get the needed passports from the ship. You should always know how to contact the port agent as this individual is your helping hand for any problem you are having while off the ship.

A very good point, and one that is often not stressed enough to passengers! I personally would rather have my passport on me when in port, though, than have to rely on a port agent in a time of emergency. YMMV, of course :).

How do I know who is the Port Agent?

Is it someone actually from the ship or someone that is at the port?

All new to me as I have only cruised 1 time. :confused:

thank you,

Sandra

Sandra,

If I'm not mistaken, it is somewhere in the port information that is delivered to your cabin prior to your arrival at each port. I suspect you might have to review that document pretty carefully to find it.

thank you,

Sandra

Sandra,

If I'm not mistaken, it is somewhere in the port information that is delivered to your cabin prior to your arrival at each port. I suspect you might have to review that document pretty carefully to find it.

Typically it's right on the front page of the Princess Patter. You know, the one they're thinking of not delivering on port days ... :eek:

I don't always take the Patter with me on shore but I will snap a quick phone photo of that particular piece of information, just in case.

Edited by beg3yrs

Typically it's right on the front page of the Princess Patter. You know, the one they're thinking of not delivering on port days ... :eek:

I don't always take the Patter with me on shore but I will snap a quick phone photo of that particular piece of information, just in case.

I stand corrected. Sure enough right on the bottom of the first page of the PP.

Thank you, B3Y.

thank you,

Sandra

The port agent works at the port. It's the port/country's liaison to the cruise ship. If there were an issue, like someone missing the ship (for whatever reason), the ship's security personnel would enter the person's stateroom, open the safe and remove any necessary documentation that the passenger would need once the ship is gone. Those documents are handed to the port agent to hold until such time as it's determined how to get them to the passenger.

As noted, the port agent location/phone number are printed in the daily paper. It's a good idea to take the paper with you when in port, just in case.

The Ship's Agent or Port Agent also serves as your emergency contact should anything happen while you are on shore....example, a passenger breaks a leg and is taken to the hospital. You call the Agent's number and they will keep the ship informed of your situation, of whether or not you will be reboarding for the next port or need your "stuff" disembarked, etc. It is an office that you hope you never need to interact with, but is essential in an emergency.

The ship itself does not have a phone number or any way to make contact other than physically going to the ship. The Agent is the phone number listed in the Patter, Navigator, and other names for that daily newspaper/schedule that each cruise line hands out. It is a good safety move to always take a copy with you or photograph the section that lists the Agent's contact info.

The Ship's Agent or Port Agent also serves as your emergency contact should anything happen while you are on shore....example' date=' a passenger breaks a leg and is taken to the hospital. You call the Agent's number and they will keep the ship informed of your situation, of whether or not you will be reboarding for the next port or need your "stuff" disembarked, etc. It is an office that you hope you never need to interact with, but is essential in an emergency.

The ship itself does not have a phone number or any way to make contact other than physically going to the ship. The Agent is the phone number listed in the Patter, Navigator, and other names for that daily newspaper/schedule that each cruise line hands out. It is a good safety move to always take a copy with you or photograph the section that lists the Agent's contact info.[/quote']

Thank you everyone for the information on the Port Agent. I did not pay attention to this info last cruise, but I sure will now. I will make a photo copy or just take the platter on shore. :)

Thank you all,

Sandra

A very good point, and one that is often not stressed enough to passengers! I personally would rather have my passport on me when in port, though, than have to rely on a port agent in a time of emergency. YMMV, of course :).

Your passport is very valuable and some passengers have had them lost or stolen on shore. They are safer in your cabin safe.

On one cruise we were on, a man lost his passport while on shore. He was not allowed to reboard the ship as the next country on the itinerary would not allow Princess to go there unless 100% of passenger passports were available to be inspected.

Your passport is very valuable and some passengers have had them lost or stolen on shore. They are safer in your cabin safe...

You are correct, and I misspoke :)! What I have actually been doing on recent cruises is to take my passport card with me into port, and leave my passport book back in the cabin safe for that reason.

My point in all this is that I am not comfortable when cruise lines collect passports and keep them for the duration of the cruise. Perhaps this will change once all passports have chips imbedded and if ships are allowed to scan them for local authorities to review electronically.

FWIW, I carry my passport card in my wallet all the time. This is not an earth-shaking advantage, but more than once it has saved me from having to walk back to my car to retrieve my driver's license when checking into hotels.

:)

On a Western South American cruise some years ago we did have to surrender our passport books for some period of time. In fact, I think it was when we checked in for boarding. It worked out find.