Tahiti w/Oceania - what 'sold' you with them over PG or Windstar?

dcsam

We have never sailed the PG but have done the Tahiti to Tahiti 10 day cruise on the Marina. We had a great time but in my opinion the Marina is too large a ship to sail around the islands. I would have thought their "R" ships a better fit.

We enjoyed our 10-day Tahiti/Tuamotus cruise with Paul Gauguin very much. However, we enjoyed our Windstar cruise in the Med so much that we've decided to give them a whirl in Tahiti when next we go. Love those sails! They've got that Adventures-in-Paradise/Gardner McKay thing going on. :p And only 140 or so passengers.

Edited by avalong

8 times on the PG and 2 more booked including a b2b.

Travelled once on Oceania in the Far East in an R ship. Likely never again. One couple had the temerity to tell us we shouldn't be travelling as we were too young ....this was when we were 50.

One year when we were in Moorea the Marina tried to enter the lagoon three times and then gave up. It's too big a ship for FP. The number of passengers likely overpowers the infrastructure.

There are a number of 15 day itineraries on the PG eg Marquesas and Fiji. If you want a longer voyage a b2b would be the way to go. You could easily then do the Tuamotus with weather the cooks or the society.

There is also something to be said for the seamlessness of the PG product.

But as David says there is no right answer...you have to do what is best for you.

Tahiti is running head to head with Hawaii at to who can be the most commercial... Bora Bora is a total tourist trap with anything for a buck or excuse me a SPF. if you want Authentic go to the Cooks Marquesas, Vanuatu or Solomon's .... Fiji is fast becoming the New Zealand Hawaii.

Tahiti is very nice and very stunning but it panders shamelessly to visitors seeking "paradise lost"...hardly "authentic" unless you buy into the travel adverts..

Sadly Hawaii is the same ... which is now morphing into the southern california annex....Huntington /Newport Beach with pineapples

Don't always agree with you Dan, but spot on with these comments:)

Unfortunately true, but until an industry comes along that pays better, tourists will be catered to in whatever way keeps them coming to the islands.

But it is what it is.....these places we so long for and dream of are now full scale industrial tourist mecas. Go for what ever you seek or dream. However never think for a second this is how it really is. Like Disneyland, its a refuge for the hope of past times.

Just dont take it too seriously and think this is the real Mc coy....how it was or authentic.... Tahiti is just as authentic as a Hawaiian Luau... which is in truth 10% Hawaiian and the rest lounge show and political hoo-ha.

Can't compare P.G to Oceania, because I haven't sailed on Oceania yet. but what I can say about P.G. is that it is the only cruise that I have been on that on the last day when all of the crew came out on deck to bid us farewell I felt my eyes tear up!! If you wanted to extend your vacation longer you could add a few days in Moorea a short ferry ride away from Tahiti. Just thought I would add my two cents.

Tahiti is running head to head with Hawaii at to who can be the most commercial... Bora Bora is a total tourist trap with anything for a buck or excuse me a SPF. if you want Authentic go to the Cooks Marquesas, Vanuatu or Solomon's .... Fiji is fast becoming the New Zealand Hawaii.

Tahiti is very nice and very stunning but it panders shamelessly to visitors seeking "paradise lost"...hardly "authentic" unless you buy into the travel adverts..

Sadly Hawaii is the same ... which is now morphing into the southern california annex....Huntington /Newport Beach with pineapples

Well, time marches on in Hawaii and FP just like everywhere else.

You may be sorry that Tahitian women no longer walk around in grass skirts and bare-breasted but I bet they don't feel the same. They probably prefer A/C homes to their old huts as do Hawaiians.

Same has happened to China and Vietnam is close behind; next may be Myanmar and others. If enough people decide to visit Vanuatu & Solomons - guess what? They will be just like Australia and New Zealand.

Facts of life - nobody wants to stay backwards for our nostalgia and I don't blame them. They all want to and have to make a living just like the rest of us and since there are no Ford plants in Bora Bora, they have to settle for tourism as their source of income

At least we can still enjoy the natural beauty of all those places and ignore the commercial aspect if we want to.

Edited by Paulchili

I've not been to Hawaii but I can't imagine that Tahiti is anything close to as touristy as Hawaii. Yes, Bora Bora is the most developed; they built a few too many hotels during the boom and now they're suffering.

I found these numbers: 183,800 tourists visited Tahiti in 2015. For Hawaii it's something up above 8 *million*.

I've not been to Hawaii but I can't imagine that Tahiti is anything close to as touristy as Hawaii. Yes, Bora Bora is the most developed; they built a few too many hotels during the boom and now they're suffering.

I found these numbers: 183,800 tourists visited Tahiti in 2015. For Hawaii it's something up above 8 *million*.

It is not. Not even close. FP is far more beautiful and far less developed.

The fact of the matter is that French Polynesia is by far the best off economically of all the South Pacific islands, not counting Hawaii. Part of this is because the French government is very involved: they largely supply the education system, gendarmes, etc. That coupled with the fact that their culture really isn't into the service industry means that they really don't care that much about tourism. Although I've not been to Hawaii, what I've heard means that it is "something else". I certainly believe that FP can't be compared to any other parts of that region of the globe.

So if one gets away from Papete (the main city on Tahiti island) and Bora Bora you will have an opportunity to appreciate the lovely people, their culture, and the spectacular scenery. But if what one wants is lots of obsequious "natives" that person will be disappointed.

As usual, Hawaiidan will disagree with me. Different strokes etc.

Can't compare P.G to Oceania, because I haven't sailed on Oceania yet. but what I can say about P.G. is that it is the only cruise that I have been on that on the last day when all of the crew came out on deck to bid us farewell I felt my eyes tear up!! If you wanted to extend your vacation longer you could add a few days in Moorea a short ferry ride away from Tahiti. Just thought I would add my two cents.

Perhaps the latest reburishment has erased the marks on the deck from my fingernails as they dragged me off the ship at the end of my cruises.

And Moorea, either pre-cruise or post-cruise (or both) is an excellent idea.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

We have cruised many times on both Oceania and on the PG. We love Oceania, but for French Polynesia, nothing can compare to the PG. The food and staff are wonderful on both, but on the PG, after several years, the staff remembered us and our favorite things. Quite amazing! Don't think I could say that about the staff on O. Perhaps it's due to the shear number of passengers. And that, the small ship size, and the total familiarity with the locale, makes the PG the star of French Polynesia.

Perhaps the latest reburishment has erased the marks on the deck from my fingernails as they dragged me off the ship at the end of my cruises.

And Moorea, either pre-cruise or post-cruise (or both) is an excellent idea.

David your fingernail marks are alongside Motu Islanders!

This was in the news recently and might be a factor (e.g. older ship) for some:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7182

I have no personal experience on these ships, nor in Polynesia, but I think I would go with the two Goldilocks ships - Marina and Riviera. They are not too big, nor are they too small.

All the passengers received 30% off their cruise and a $1000 pp future cruise credit. Just wanted this out there... They missed only 2 ports. Yes important ones but the major cruise lines usually don't refund this much in my experience. Am extra couple of days in Bora Bora couldn't be too bad!

All the passengers received 30% off their cruise and a $1000 pp future cruise credit. Just wanted this out there... They missed only 2 ports. Yes important ones but the major cruise lines usually don't refund this much in my experience. Am extra couple of days in Bora Bora couldn't be too bad!

I agree, that is generous.

So, your plan then is to book the oldest ship possible on a cruise line that treats you fairly so that there's a better chance of getting a good deal subsequently? Booyakasha!

I agree, that is generous.

So, your plan then is to book the oldest ship possible on a cruise line that treats you fairly so that there's a better chance of getting a good deal subsequently? Booyakasha!

No need for sarcasm. I have been to French Polynesia with 4 different cruise lines and pick the trip best for me. I just felt that if someone puts up an article that showed a problem that I would mention how it was resolved.

Question for all you FP cruisers, both "O" and PG. we've cruised a lot and for the most part larger ships (50,000-120,000 GRT). These ships are equipped with stabilizers and so forth to help provide for a smoother ride. Wife is fine; however, I have a problem when the wave action gets it rocking and rolling. We caught the tail end of hurricane Nicole coming from Boston to Baltimore and it was a a rough 16 hours. I use predominantly the sea bands and carry Bonnie with me. So there is the background, the question is with both of these being much smaller ships is it more usual to experience the sea action? Of course understand if there are storms it could get rough no matter what. I am more concerned about the routine day to day sailing

Edited by njhoo

Question for all you FP cruisers, both "O" and PG. we've cruised a lot and for the most part larger ships (50,000-120,000 GRT). These ships are equipped with stabilizers and so forth to help provide for a smoother ride. Wife is fine; however, I have a problem when the wave action gets it rocking and rolling. We caught the tail end of hurricane Nicole coming from Boston to Baltimore and it was a a rough 16 hours. I use predominantly the sea bands and carry Bonnie with me. So there is the background, the question is with both of these being much smaller ships is it more usual to experience the sea action? Of course understand if there are storms it could get rough no matter what. I am more concerned about the routine day to day sailing

On a 7 day cruise the PG is usually very calm. On the 10 - 14's I never experienced any issues although there can be large swells that present problems with tenders on the Cook Islands or Marquesas itineraries. That would be a problem with a 3000 person ship also. The problem with the PG can be the trans-oceanic voyages during cyclone season.

So there is the background, the question is with both of these being much smaller ships is it more usual to experience the sea action?

The PG is small and also shallow draft so she can get into places other ships cannot. That means that she is more susceptible to rockin' and rollin' in storms. I was on her once when the main dining room was almost empty during dinner because so many passengers had lost their appetite.

But ... the worst I've experienced with this is the much much larger Riviera during a trans-Atlantic. Then they not only closed the decks but also shut down the elevators. Just walking down the hall was challenge requiring use of the handrails on both sides. There was a constant very loud boom as she hit the waves, which was at least disconcerting if not downright scary.

So "more usual" depends mostly on what is likely to happen on the sea. As already noted, the 7-day Society islands cruise is usually quite benign, but not always. When we went on the PG to the Marquesas, over the Mariana trench the sea was like glass, but it is not always like that. Smaller ships are more susceptible, but the likelihood of high seas is what really matters.

On any ship, a cabin mid-ships and on a lower deck will be less susceptible to this.