question ??????

mrsjoey

I have a question??? I know we are allowed to bring on a 750 ml bottle wine. Where we live we have a wonderful winery that makes this awesome Chocolate Port which is in a much smaller bottle. Can someone tell me if this would be allowed?

I have a question??? I know we are allowed to bring on a 750 ml bottle wine. Where we live we have a wonderful winery that makes this awesome Chocolate Port which is in a much smaller bottle. Can someone tell me if this would be allowed?

Hi Mrs.Joey,

While I might think it should, I don't think it will fit their perception of a bottle of wine.

You could try, but if you don't want to be disappointed, I would suggest you leave it at home.

I have brought a bottle of sherry on board but it didn't say sherry on the label and was in a more traditional "wine" bottle. They did look at it closely.

have a great cruise

I also know when there are two 21+ in a cabin, instead of two 750ml bottles, Carnival does not agree that one 1.5L is the same thing. I really doubt they would honor the smaller bottle since it is not 750ml.

Edited by cdavid46

The question is not the size of the bottle, but whether the screeners would recognize port as wine - which it is, and not some other liquor. If they question you, I would ask them to consult the wine steward. that is, if you want to spend that much time...EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Thanks all for your help...I am not wanting to drink this bottle of Port but, wanting to give it to a staff member on the Liberty she has taken care of us for 2 cruises and we have another coming in 39 days. I know it is a wine and I know you can't take a bottle larger than 750 ml was hoping that a smaller bottle would be allowed. So now will have to decide whether I want to try it or not ????

Thanks all for your help...I am not wanting to drink this bottle of Port but, wanting to give it to a staff member on the Liberty she has taken care of us for 2 cruises and we have another coming in 39 days. I know it is a wine and I know you can't take a bottle larger than 750 ml was hoping that a smaller bottle would be allowed. So now will have to decide whether I want to try it or not ????

Why bother? The person will say thank you but what happens after that? The person may not like your choice, or throw it away. After all, that person really doesn't know what is in it.

I have found very often it really comes down to the particular individual who is screening. I carried on a large carton of organic cherry juice on my last cruise (maybe like 32 oz or so). It wasn't bottles, but it also didn't conform to Carnival's stated rules. But since I can't get organic cherry juice on the ship, and I couldn't find it in the store in cans, I thought I'd try it knowing it wouldn't be the end of the world if they took it. But the guy just waved me through when I stated it was my carry-on juice. It wasn't even sealed because I consumed some in my pre-cruise hotel room.

Why bother? The person will say thank you but what happens after that? The person may not like your choice, or throw it away. After all, that person really doesn't know what is in it.

Well, RuthlessBoss..It is not a bother..this person is very special lady and took very good care of us on our last two cruises and we are looking forward to seeing her on our next cruise and I know that if I can get the bottle on the ship she would love it and be very great full and would not just throw it away..and by the way she is a bartender and so yes she would know what is in it...

I have found very often it really comes down to the particular individual who is screening. I carried on a large carton of organic cherry juice on my last cruise (maybe like 32 oz or so). It wasn't bottles, but it also didn't conform to Carnival's stated rules. But since I can't get organic cherry juice on the ship, and I couldn't find it in the store in cans, I thought I'd try it knowing it wouldn't be the end of the world if they took it. But the guy just waved me through when I stated it was my carry-on juice. It wasn't even sealed because I consumed some in my pre-cruise hotel room.

Thanks,,,and you are so right it would come down to the person screening.

Well, RuthlessBoss..It is not a bother..this person is very special lady and took very good care of us on our last two cruises and we are looking forward to seeing her on our next cruise and I know that if I can get the bottle on the ship she would love it and be very great full and would not just throw it away..and by the way she is a bartender and so yes she would know what is in it...

I would take a chance and bring it with you.

I think it 's a very nice gesture of thanks and you should do what you think is right. The worst they can do is hold it until the last night of the cruise when they deliver it to your cabin and you could give it to her then.

You might want to wrap it as a gift -- couldn't hurt!

Edited by TX Catty Cruiser

A smaller bottle will take the place of the normal sized bottle...it's fine...but you will have less wine...up to you!

Hi

The issue isn't the size of the bottle. It is whether they recognize it as wine. If they are not willing to acknowledge as a bottle of "wine" that is allowed, then they will say "no". If they don't notice it then it doesn't matter, but if they see it while it passes through x-ray they will likely ask to see it because of the size.

Mrs. Joey, if you don't mind bringing it back to your car or giving it up, then by all means bring it. It is a nice gesture and the worst they can say is "no".

have a great cruise

I like to travel with the individual serving size wines in the plastic bottles. They are lighter, less likely to break, and I don't need a corkscrew. I have been questioned every time because I have 4 bottles instead of one, eventhough the total volume is less than 750 ml. I've always gotten them through security, but sometimes the screener has to call the supervisor. I know this is not exactly your situation, but be prepared for questions. And the screeners probably won't know what port is!

I like to travel with the individual serving size wines in the plastic bottles. They are lighter, less likely to break, and I don't need a corkscrew. I have been questioned every time because I have 4 bottles instead of one, eventhough the total volume is less than 750 ml. I've always gotten them through security, but sometimes the screener has to call the supervisor. I know this is not exactly your situation, but be prepared for questions. And the screeners probably won't know what port is!

That's encouraging for me because we would like to take 4 small bottles of champagne on our upcoming cruise and the total volume is under 750ml. I think we'll give it a try.

(And if you wonder why we want 4 small bottles--we are in an inside cabin with no refrigerator. But we can pop a bottle in the ice bucket each evening and have the makings for mimosas for breakfast.)

if you think it may be an issue.. they make kits (meant to smuggle other booze on) where you can re-cork and seal a wine bottle.. just put it in an approved size bottle to give her.. I think it is AWESOME youre looking out.. and who cares if she doesn't like it anyway? its the thought that counts. im sure there were people who didn't like the gift you gave them but they still hold onto it cuz it is sentimental... stop being so negative.. you enjoy your cruise!!! :):):)

The question is not the size of the bottle, but whether the screeners would recognize port as wine - which it is, and not some other liquor. If they question you, I would ask them to consult the wine steward. that is, if you want to spend that much time...EM

The carry-on luggage screeners are not necessarily the most wine savvy either. :D We brought our 2 bottles of White Zinfandel - which is not white but is pink. Our screener had to get her supervisor to check - she was totally baffled LOL

Not saying there will be a problem but if ours had a problem with sealed, labeled, bottled wine your Port Wine, if not clearly labled may just throw 'em for a loop.

Edited by summersigh