Benefits of going in May?

jormot

Many many discussions about May here. Lower prices. Drier. Less crowded.

Negatives- access to some locations may be limited by snow/ice.

July will be warmer. More crowded. More expensive.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I lived in Juneau for two years back in the 80's. Sunny days are so rare, that the State government would nearly shut down because nobody showed up for work.

I did the first cruise of the season a few years ago (Miami to Seattle via Panama Canal and Alaska) and enjoyed it. It was cool and overcast most of the time. Also got some rain almost daily. Did get one sunny day on a day trip out of Skagway. Snow and ice are not usually a problem unless you are going up to the higher elevations... to see the snow and ice.

May advantages:

• Very few kids/students on board (unless Disney).
  • Still snow in the higher elevations.
  • Lots of new baby animals, especially humpbacks that are very frisky.
  • Low rainfall month.
  • Lower airfare prices.

We did end of May / early June this year. I'd be happy to do it again; nice to see snow on many of the mountains, and lots of flowers out. Weather was neither too cold nor too warm. Some rain, some sun. Great trip.

I'd probably avoid the very first couple cruises of the season; I've been on a first cruise after a reposition and won't do so again.

The biggest thing for a May trip is to ensure any important things you want to do will be up and running by then. For example, in Denali the Tundra Wilderness tour runs a shortened version prior to June 1st I believe.

The "kids" comments are always made- BUT, I've never encountered anywhere near the numbers of kids on my July and August cruises (when school is out) compared to the Caribbean. I find it of no issue.

My experience has been superior weather on my May trips compared to later- I have sailed Alaska over 50 times so have a decent basis for this statement.

May does offer those snow covered scenery that is so "Alaska". :)

But- fishing is poor, some tours aren't operating.

Especially significant- is IF Denali Park is part of the touring. A northbound cruise and getting in Denali June 1 or later is superior for distance and what you can see. My minimum recommendation. IF booking a cruise tour- DO YOUR HOMEWORK- this is an area that frequent WRONG assumptions are made- over and over seen. Know the details of what you are looking at- so to make a much more informed choice.

May advantages:

• Very few kids/students on board (unless Disney).
  • Still snow in the higher elevations.
  • Lots of new baby animals, especially humpbacks that are very frisky.
  • Low rainfall month.
  • Lower airfare prices.

I agree but would also add..lower cruise prices too. Our mid-late May we've gotten our best deal when those bookings open.

I personally love the end of May! Generally it is a dry time to cruise, snow is on the mountains (gorgeous) and the prices are less.

I have cruised 2x in July and probably 7x in May - much prefer May.

Edited by Coral

Other than the big price factor are there other benefits of going in May vs late July? Or vice versa I guess?

More snow to see.

Less tourists including less kids in port.

I like visiting Alaska in May but will go pretty much anytime.

Keith

by the third week of May= all the ships are sailing Alaska with a full schedule, so there aren't "fewer people". I find this of NO significance either. I'm not "held up" by any one else and it is not NYC. It is darn simple to be remote and by yourself in Alaska, within minutes of cruise docks.

On itineraries that do the true "Inside Passage" and in particular on smaller ships that can leave the main shipping routes for narrower passages there will be better waterfall viewing. Snow will still be melting up high in the hills. Also Misty Fjords at Ketchikan has dozens of waterfalls that would be spectacular in May. By July the snowfields dwindle.