Is a kilt acceptable dress on a formal night?

cruz STY

As long as Hubby does not do as the kilt-wearer once (maybe more than once; who knows?) did at Nelson's Column in Montréal...On a park bench, legs spread wide for the benefit of two schoolgirls.

This really happened; we saw the whole exhibition.

😱😱Not a pretty sight, my husband knows how to dip his kilt 😀

Hi All

As a kilt wearer l do not mind folks asking for photos, or telling me there great great great grandad was Scottish, do not mind the women and the odd man asking if they can slip a hand up the kilt but why do they have to keep pointing to the furry thing and ask what's that called,

Yours Shogun

yes I always wear my formal kilt-8 yard and charlie jacket on formal nights with my military mini medals. I am always asked what is under the kilt and I:D usually reply my socks or the future of Scotland!!

Hi Potstech,

But do we agree with what should not be worn under the kilt,:)

yours Shogun

I will only go according to the song "The Scotsman Kilt" as to what is under the kilt getting a blue ribbon.

Thanks everyone for your replies, please be assured he will not be on deck if there is more than a light breeze. When we were on a Middle Eastern cruise a few years ago he had his photo taken quite a lot, especially with the lady's!

It sounds to me that your DH is quite the gentleman who has a keen eye for traditions that have gone by the way side of late...its refreshing to have read such a post of someone wishing to display their heritage with such vigor and enthusiasm regardless of what other mainstream thinking men think of his outfit while their wives are snuggling up with him for a picture I'm sure the ladies will treasure forever. I say never stop never stopping!!!

Best,

Mark

Hi All

As a kilt wearer l do not mind folks asking for photos, or telling me there great great great grandad was Scottish, do not mind the women and the odd man asking if they can slip a hand up the kilt but why do they have to keep pointing to the furry thing and ask what's that called,

Yours Shogun

As I said, my daughter's high school marching band was kilted (one of the few in the country, I believe). At the orientation for new band members, each part the kids wore would be shown and identified (some parts such as the kilt, the doublet (jacket), sporran were kept at school in storage and passed out before performances and football games, while others like the white shirt, knee socks, shoes, flashes, gloves would be brought from home) so parents and the musicians will know. Once I asked my daughter how she liked wearing a kilt, and she said that despite how complicated it was to get dressed, she liked that it wasn't some generic outfit like many schools have (like the one for the band she was in during 9th grade).

BTW, at the annual band banquet, a tradition is having haggis on hand for anyone to try. Neither my girl nor I tried it.

It sounds to me that your DH is quite the gentleman who has a keen eye for traditions that have gone by the way side of late...its refreshing to have read such a post of someone wishing to display their heritage with such vigor and enthusiasm regardless of what other mainstream thinking men think of his outfit while their wives are snuggling up with him for a picture I'm sure the ladies will treasure forever. I say never stop never stopping!!!

Best,

Mark

I agree, I think the kilt is making a come back, it's very popular now for milestone birthday gifts and a good Kilt can last a lifetime. The only problem is the weight of the full outfit and air travel. The kilt itself is heavy with the jacket weighing over twice as much as the kilt, then there's the sporran etc. That said its well worth the extra weight,

Yvette

Hi cruz STY

All my kilts are full weight but jackets and waist coats are light weight

look the same but so much nicer to wear if in Caribbean Med etc,

If required why not just hire a light weight jacket,

yours Shogun

There are those who don't think a man can look "manly in a skirt". I say to those people, "BAH!" As for the person who witnessed someone sitting in an inappropriate manner while wearing a kilt I say that is not a gentleman and no "real man" would expose himself in that manner.

It's easy to "dip" your kilt:

connery-3-th.jpg

How can anybody say this isn't stylish or elegant:

9919c6d5c37178403f6011f449c9698f.jpg

How can anybody say this isn't "manly":

3157855.jpg

I know that many ladies love a man in a kilt. It's stylish and totally appropriate. (Of course that last picture doesn't really belong in MDR... :D )

This is our first Princess Cruise and on all our other cruises my husband has worn his kilt, I notice that there's a few comments on what's acceptable attire for formal nights and what's not! The kilt is heavy and if it's not going to be worn he may as well leave it at home.

Only if he has nice sexy legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: