Blu question

TroubleT

We also love Blu. After our first Aqua experience with Blu, we have never gone back to the MDR! Our last cruise, we were seated at 3 different two-tops in the same area with the same servers; nine of the twelve nights the couples on each side of us were the same folks and we made new friends and had a wonderful time.

Looking forward to Blu on the Silhouette in two weeks!

With the way our roll call is for our cruise in two weeks, there is every chance that about half the people you see in Blu each day will be people you know. And I mean in the whole place. :D

We are in Aqua on the Summit for the first time in August. We were assigned Select Dining. I have actually made reservations for two nights in the MDR as well as for one evening in Tuscany. The other evenings we had planned to dine in Blu. The dinning arrangements do seem a bit confusing to this first time cruiser in Aqua. If Blu is our assigned dining venue, why doesn't it indicate that on our reservation? Why assign us to Select dining?

With the way our roll call is for our cruise in two weeks, there is every chance that about half the people you see in Blu each day will be people you know. And I mean in the whole place. :D

Sheiiiiioooot.

We'll have the place packed with our group. Flick Football anyone? [emoji85][emoji87]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheiiiiioooot.

We'll have the place packed with our group. Flick Football anyone? [emoji85][emoji87]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't heard that referenced in years. LOL:D

Please see the video clip postet above or follow this link for menu and food pics

https://goo.gl/photos/k1VNP2miLYKhGFy77

Since the clip is on a previous page, here it is again. With the link to the online album you can see the pics of food and menus as stills...

[YOUTUBE]IZ5eFfLRz0k[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Miaminice

I thought that I've read you can order food from the MDR when dining in Blu. Is this correct?

Yes you can. I know this because we've done it on every single sailing where we've dined in Blu. Just tell your waiter what you want and they'll bring it to you. We've never had one single issue doing this.

Yes you can. I know this because we've done it on every single sailing where we've dined in Blu. Just tell your waiter what you want and they'll bring it to you. We've never had one single issue doing this.

While I would never argue with someone's experience, I think you will find that it is quite rare that Blu will serve you an entree from the MDR menu. We almost always cruise in Aqua and have, at various times, tried to get something from the MDR on the Eclipse, Equinox, Millenium, Constellation and Infiniti and only once was I successful.

Keep in mind that the staff in Blu is already stretched thin due to cost savings so there is no one just waiting to run to the other kitchen to get an entree. Blu does have some appetizers and desserts that aren't on the menu that one might think come from the MDR...but they actually keep them in the Blu kitchen....escargot, onion soup,.....

Irrespective of Mynki's experience, I think you will be disappointed if you expect to be served a MDR entree in Blu.

Please see the video clip postet above or follow this link for menu and food pics

https://goo.gl/photos/k1VNP2miLYKhGFy77

Miaminice,

I have one word: "Yummy!" :D

Thanks for sharing! Looks fantastic!

Another question: Could someone post pictures of Blu on M class ships? It looks like just the upper level of MDR.

Thanks!

Miaminice,

I have one word: "Yummy!" :D

Thanks for sharing! Looks fantastic!

Another question: Could someone post pictures of Blu on M class ships? It looks like just the upper level of MDR.

Thanks!

If you look at the descriptions of the photos you will see some of the pics are from M class.

It looks the same as on S-class.

Edited by Miaminice

I can only speak to the Summit. We sail on her every year, the same week, with our 4th consecutive year coming up.

The Matre'd announced that the MDR "standard" menu items are available every night in Blu. These are the items that are unchanged and on the left side of the menu in the MDR. The most popular order is the escargots and steak.

You do NOT have to eat in Blu every night. You may eat in the MDR. You do not have to make advance arrangements nor ask permission from the Blu matre'd. Nor do you have to tell anyone if you are going to specialty dining or the buffet. (contrary to what many people here will tell you)

The tables for larger parties are in the back of the room, or else they are all 2 tops. They are very close and it is not possible to discuss anything truly private. However, most really private discussions don't really happen in restaurants do they?

They do serve lobster, and if you want any dish with something left off or on the side....they will accommodate you as best they can.

It is usually not busy when it opens which is shortly before 6 pm. It does get real busy when the first show ends. Some ships are busier than others in Blu due to the number of cruisers eligible to eat there. The tables for 2 are real close to each other and you can hear the conversation at the next table(s). We were talking and the person next to us joined our conversation. It is really not an intimate setting. There are some tables that are somewhat away from others which may be a nice choice for you.

Thanks Keesar, this will be out first time in AQ and from what we've read here I'm sure we'll enjoy Blu very much[emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

awesome explanation of the blu. Very excited to be trying it out for the first time when we head to Alaska

I can only speak to the Summit. We sail on her every year, the same week, with our 4th consecutive year coming up.

The Matre'd announced that the MDR "standard" menu items are available every night in Blu. These are the items that are unchanged and on the left side of the menu in the MDR. The most popular order is the escargots and steak.

You do NOT have to eat in Blu every night. You may eat in the MDR. You do not have to make advance arrangements nor ask permission from the Blu matre'd. Nor do you have to tell anyone if you are going to specialty dining or the buffet. (contrary to what many people here will tell you)

The tables for larger parties are in the back of the room, or else they are all 2 tops. They are very close and it is not possible to discuss anything truly private. However, most really private discussions don't really happen in restaurants do they?

They do serve lobster, and if you want any dish with something left off or on the side....they will accommodate you as best they can.

We also love Blu. Several cruises ago we had our first aqua cabin and I don't see us ever going back to the MDR. Last cruise we were upgraded to a sky suite and ate in Luminea. That was also wonderful. Next up the Silhouette in August and back to Blu.

How were you upgraded to a suite? I've read that I should go to customer service once I board and ask for an upgrade. Any other suggestions?

I've cruised in C2 cabins before and loved it! The next cruise is on the Infinity to Alaska in my first Aqua class. I can't wait!!

How were you upgraded to a suite? I've read that I should go to customer service once I board and ask for an upgrade. Any other suggestions?

I've cruised in C2 cabins before and loved it! The next cruise is on the Infinity to Alaska in my first Aqua class. I can't wait!!

It's technically possible to request an upgrade once on board. However in reality you'll find that all the suites have sold well before then.

If you want a suite it would be best to upgrade before sail date to ensure you get one. Remember there are literally thousands of people searching online for the best deals and upgrades so suites tend to be gone before then.

• 1 month later...
We have never been able to order main courses from the MDR while dining in Blu. So we will opt for a specialty restaurant or eat in the buffet if we do not like what is on the men for a night.. Lately, there have been dinner theme nights in the buffet which we have really enjoyed.

There still seems to be a lot of confusion on this issue. On the Summit (and I believe the other ships), the "classic" MDR menu is always available to BLU passengers when the BLU menu items are not desirable. This includes appetizers: shrimp cocktail, escargots; soup/salads: caeser salad, baked onion soup; entrees: strip steak, chicken, salmon; deserts: cheese cake, apple pie a la mode, chocolate cake.

On occasion special requests are accommodated, if planned ahead the day prior.

Also, you do not have to inform anyone if you prefer to eat in the MDR. Just show up at the select dining enterance.

Edited by Fish Lover

When I sailed on Silhouette this past November I was in Aqua Class and ate in Blu every night, and you could make reservations if you choose to during the day for that evenings dinner so you would not have to wait to be seated.

Several different couples sat together and just informed the hostess in advance. Also one couple was waiting to sit at a larger table and the hostess asked several groups in front of me if they minded sitting with another couple, so they eventually got lined up to all sit together.

No matter what the rules are, there are always options available. :)

We sailed on the Summit last month, and asked about making reservations for BLU and the answer was NO.

I believe over time Blu has increased the items from the MDR that you can get in Blu; shrimp cocktail, French onion soup, Caesar salad, French fries. We have never gotten a entree from the MDR menu in Blu.

I was explained to us once that on S class ships the Blu kitchen is close to Blu and the MDR is on a different deck and area.

Regarding kitchen location, actually the opposite is true. The kitchen is closer on M class, so you are more likely to be accommodated on M class. From what I have experienced and read here on CC, it is rare that an S class ship will provide entrees from the MDR. It is also rare on M class, but sometimes you will get a maître d' who will work with you.

Regarding a gluten free menu, I have been reading up a lot about it as I am in the final stages of testing to see if I have Celiac and my cruise is next week.:eek:. As stated in other posts, there is already a lot on these boards on the topic and I recommend anyone sailing gluten free for the first time read them. To summarize, in MOST cases people have been very happy with how the ship handles gluten free. The key is to advise the maître d' ahead of time. He/she will work with you and your assigned waiter to make sure you are taken care of. Generally, they will give you the next day's menu and talk with you about what you can pre-order that will satisfy your needs. In the buffet, ask for the head chef (or the top person working when you visit) to walk you around and advise what the gluten free options are. Generally the menus at breakfast and lunch don't change that much so you don't need to do this everyday.

That said, I hear that sometimes Celebrity is not the best in this area. As it happens, I heard on Infinity in Blu a gluten free cruiser had struggles getting any variety in her options. Not sure if this was a case where she had a much better experience on another cruise line so Celebrity paled by comparison or if Infinity was particularly bad. Of course my upcoming cruise is on Infinity so I am hoping if I need to sail gluten free in Blu I will find options that work for me