Why Do I See Ship Names In This Manner?

Sascol

When I look through the Princess message board, I quite often see people refer to the names of the ships in an odd manner. Regal Princess, for example is referred to as "Princess Regal". Golden Princess as "Princess Golden". Why is this?

When I look through the Princess message board, I quite often see people refer to the names of the ships in an odd manner. Regal Princess, for example is referred to as "Princess Regal". Golden Princess as "Princess Golden". Why is this?

Because they are used to other companies that put the corporate name first, i.e. Celebrity Summit, Norwegian Getaway, Carnival Dream, etc.

Princess has always named their ships with "Princess" as the last part of the ship's name.

Some people haven't cruised many times. They also call the giant boxes in the ocean: boats. The food preparation area on the boxes: Kitchen and the personal services area: Restroom

Don't forget: they call the 'steward' by his first name: 'Stewart'!!:o:eek:

Edited by gotta cruise again

From the title, I thought this thread was going to be about the way experienced Princess cruisers refer to the ships in shorthand. I haven't quite got the hang of that yet, with both Caribbean and Crown eligible for 'CP' and now Royal and Regal both for 'RP' Maybe we need a Sticky with the magic decoder ring ;)

From the title, I thought this thread was going to be about the way experienced Princess cruisers refer to the ships in shorthand. I haven't quite got the hang of that yet, with both Caribbean and Crown eligible for 'CP' and now Royal and Regal both for 'RP' Maybe we need a Sticky with the magic decoder ring ;)
These are the 2-letter abbreviations Princess uses in the URL for each ship. If you're not sure, just go to the Princess website.

Main fleet:

• CB - Caribbean Princess

• CO - Coral Princess

• KP - Crown Princess

• DP - Dawn Princess

• DI - Diamond Princess

• EP - Emerald Princess

• NP - Golden Princess

• AP - Grand Princess

• IP - Island Princess

• GP - Regal Princess

• RP - Royal Princess

• RU - Ruby Princess

• SA - Sapphire Princess

• CP - Sea Princess

• TP - Star Princess

• SP - Sun Princess

The Small Ships of Princess:

• PA - Pacific Princess

Edited by Pam in CA

There is such a sticky or thread or decoder ring somewhere -- just don't remember where I found it! But I do remember being roundly chastised some years back by Princess-cruisers-in-the-know for abbreviating Caribbean Princess as "CP" (as you might expect) instead of "CB," which is the official abbreviation. Don't know how Regal and Royal are distinguished, but I am certain that there are Princess die-hards out there who know and will slap your wrist for using the incorrect abbreviation, but who also will disdain to tell you what is correct! :rolleyes:

Thanks Pam. It's good to know Princess' official abbreviations, but some of these don't seem familiar from CC usage. E.g. I have never seen reference to KP -- and I certainly hope that I won't be expected to peel potatoes on my Canada/New England cruise!

Another possible reason for the reversed name: The large on-line agency that I deal with will list the ship's name as "Princess Grand" or "Princess Emerald" on the documentation that they send you. Guess their system is set up to have cruise line's name first and then the name of the vessel. If some people are looking at that to get their info, I can see why they might be confused.

Another possible reason for the reversed name: The large on-line agency that I deal with will list the ship's name as "Princess Grand" or "Princess Emerald" on the documentation that they send you. Guess their system is set up to have cruise line's name first and then the name of the vessel. If some people are looking at that to get their info, I can see why they might be confused.

Personally I don't care for the Princess name first then the ship. :rolleyes:

But thats me. :p

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Well, that's just wrong... :p The official name of the ships include Princess at the end. So that agency should be putting the names down like "Princess Emerald Princess" or "Princess Grand Princess".

It's only been within the last decade or so that other lines have been adding their corporate name to their ships. So, for example, it would have been written as Celebrity's Summit but it's now Celebrity Summit. Gotta get that branding in. Princess was fortunate enough to have the brand built-in from the get-go.

I like the way they are named. Those who say it the other way around just aren't frequent Princess cruisers. That would be the same reason they often refer to the cruise card (Princess nomenclature) as a "Sail and Sign" card.

We only have 7 cruises to date (with a 28 day booked for next year) but they are all with Princess so the way they do things seems "normal" to us. :)

To me, the ship names sound right as they are, because "Princess" is a noun, and many of the ship names can be used as adjectives. In English, we say "adjective noun" though I guess people who speak other languages (Spanish, for example) are used to them being the other way around. So Royal Princess, Regal Princess, Golden Princess, Grand Princess, etc. make sense. A few (Crown Princess, Star Princess) make less sense that way, but we are so used to the names being in that order, that they still sound right to me.

There are times, when I am not paying close attention to what I am reading here on CC, that someone will mention "Royal" and at first glance I think they are talking about any given ship on Royal Caribbean.

I also certainly hope that the 2 letter abbreviations that Pam supplied will never be used here on CC. I enjoy reading CC and the occasional comment I might add but I certainly don't want to add more acronyms than are already being used.

Because they don't know the name of the ship they're going on.

Interestingly enough, the first three Princess ships were named that way: Princess Patricia (one of Canadian Pacific's coastal steamers chartered by Stanley MacDonald in 1965 - hence the name Princess Cruises), then there was Princess Italia (officially just "Italia", also chartered) and then in 1968 Princess Carla (officially "Carla C" chartered from Costa Lines and the first ship to wear the "Seawitch" on her funnel). It wasn't until 1973 when the Island Venture was chartered and became Island Princess was the naming convention we know now was adopted. Island Princess, of course, was sister to Sea Venture which became Pacific Princess in 1975 and the rest is history...

Edited by ShipsAreTheBest

Personally I don't care for the Princess name first then the ship. :rolleyes:

But thats me. :p

I agree. It's like they're talking about royalty or a Disney princess, not the name of a ship. Sounds weird to me... kind of like saying Summit Celebrity or Gem Norwegian.