When is the right time to purchase your flight?

There are only two non stop flights from Nashville to Miami. Only one for the correct timing. I am wondering if there is a good time to buy tickets. Early Bird, 90 days out, ect.

I don't want to not get on the non stop, but I also don't want to leave money on table. We are sailing May/2017.

You should try Hopper. It's an app for your phone and it will track flights for you. As soon as the flights drop to what they estimate to being the lowest or close to lowest price, they will send you a notification. To get the price, you do need to be able to book immediately. It doesn't include Southwest unfortunately.

In my experience, prices are generally lowest on Tuesdays-Wednesday between 4-6 weeks from the flight. However, that can always change due to demand - airlines are smart about that these days! I've booked a flight the week of for the lowest price after watching it for 10 weeks so you never really know.

Edited by Midwest_Traveler

I book as soon as I find a flight that is in the range I want to pay and the seats I want are available. I am picky as to where I want to sit. I have tried waiting for the price to drop a couple times and have been bit. A flight I normally take was quoted at $350 which was super high, I normally pay between $200 and $250, the price kept rising and I ended up paying $439. So now I book when I am comfortable with the price.

Somewhat off topic, but, if their fares drop, Southwest allows you to rebook at the lower price without penalty -- multiple times.

I agree. And for that, that is all we use. And, the earlier you book generally the lower the price is.

Do you REALLY think you are better at pricing air fares than the airlines - who do it all the time, while you do it for perhaps a week or so once a year.

On any given day the fare for a fight you want will be what it is- that same flight may cost less a few days, weeks or months later --- but it may never be that low again.

When you find the flight you want at a fare that seems right, book it. If the same flight becomes more expensive as time passes, you will feel great. If the fare drops a little between the time you booked it and the date you want to fly -you will have paid a LITTLE more than you would have if you have waited. If the fare drops a lot - which should mean over a hundred dollars, you can afford the $100 it costs to change.

The bottom line is that booking early gives you the choice of flight time and seats you want - with just a $100 maximum "loss" per seat; vs the chance of paying much more per seat if you wait and fares go the wrong way.

Do not try to outsmart the airlines at their game!

I buy within a week of the fares releasing... The problem with this is the times of the flights usually change two or three times over the next 320 days give or take a few days. The plus is, I get the times I want, the seats I want, the connections I want... And usually I do not see the price drop below what I paid... Or if it does it isn't enough to ruffle my feathers.

Depends on the airline, in my opinion.

I fly out of DFW, and Spirit usually has the cheapest flights, except on holidays , which can be as much as major airlines - and Spirit has the lowest prices on Tues/Wed flights, and I feel like their overall fares are at their lowest 1 month away from the departure date. Might not be the case entirely though, I don't even think about planning a vacation until 3 months prior before I want to go, so I am never stalking flights as soon as they come out. Some people hate spirit, but I love them! I am a no-frills gal, and I love the low pricing and the opportunity to just add on the things you want.

I never ever find deals on SW. I know SOME people do, but i always find them so much higher than Spirit, Delta, America, etc...even when you factor in the "Free bags", rarely ever makes sense for me

I bought a flight on Thurs for Sept 1st-Sept 10th on American for the same price as Spirit, I won't check a bag because I travel light with just a carryon. Because it's over labor day, I paid 277.00pp for flights to FLL, which is HIGH, but seeing as it's a holiday, I was OK with paying that price. It's also good to know typically what flights go for in your area. For example, from DFW here are some typical RT airfare prices (they go up and down, but this is around what I have seen typically)

DFW - Denver - as low as 30-40.00 RT

DFW - FLL - as low as 80-100 RT

DFW to ORD - as low as 40-100 RT

DFW to SAN - as low as 60-150 RT

DFW to JFK - as low as 80-150 RT

But when I lived in Cedar Rapids Iowa, my fares were at least double what they are now living in Dallas. So really just depends where you live, the season, and how far in advance you book - as some other poster said, book if the price is right for you - I was worried about my current flight going down the day after i booked and considered waiting, but I was OK with 277.00 pp and didn't want it to go super high and then be super upset about it.

I usually pick up the flights the day or two after they become live. So 300+ days out since we already have the trip planned usually at that point.

This next one in Dec I purchased at the beginning of the year. Nonstop DTW to MIA then the return is nonstop TPA to DTW.

First class, $440 a person round trip. Same seats are now over $1k a person each way.

I can't imagine taking spirit if I had to be somewhere in a 1 day window which is usually the case on a cruise.

I fly Spirit all the time and only once have I had a problem. Being I can fly out of CLE or DTW it gives me many options.

I have their MC so points make it all the better sometimes. Ex. Flying in Oct to FLL for 82.40 R/T for 2 people , which includes 1 checked bag each way. Even flying in on a Thursday for a Sat. Cruise and getting 1 extra night hotel Much,Much cheaper than other airlines.

OP book with what price you are comfortable with.

I was able to start tracking my flights starting last year - I booked my upcoming cruise in Dec of 14 - so I started watching the PDX to BOS non stops - Alaska is the only airline that does this. I started watching fares in Apr and watched them go up as the summer went on. So this year I started watching in Jan - shortly after the 330 day booking window opened. I was able to find a fare of $480.00 RT PP. I booked it and picked my seats - had my choice :D Now I have watched the fares go up and the seat selection go down :D. I consider myself lucky, very lucky.

I fly Spirit all the time and only once have I had a problem. Being I can fly out of CLE or DTW it gives me many options.

I have their MC so points make it all the better sometimes. Ex. Flying in Oct to FLL for 82.40 R/T for 2 people , which includes 1 checked bag each way. Even flying in on a Thursday for a Sat. Cruise and getting 1 extra night hotel Much,Much cheaper than other airlines.

OP book with what price you are comfortable with.

Spirit prices are usually very good and reliable airline,

I have never had a problem with spirit. I have had problems with all other airlines, missing flights, delays, etc. Not saying Spirit doesn't have these, just hasn't happened to me yet. Delays/cancellations happen to every airline, I always fly in day before like you said, because still MUCH cheaper to get a hotel than to pay American/Delta prices

There are only two non stop flights from Nashville to Miami. Only one for the correct timing. I am wondering if there is a good time to buy tickets. Early Bird, 90 days out, ect.

I don't want to not get on the non stop, but I also don't want to leave money on table. We are sailing May/2017.

You can take Southwest to Fort Lauderdale and Uber down to Miami. They have tickets as low as 39 dollars each at BNA-FLL. We are actually looking at this same flights as part of a college visit trip for my daughter.

Can't book May , 2017 yet.

Are you flying in the day of the cruise?

Could be cheaper to fly to FLL night before , grab a room and then make way to port.

I have never had a problem with spirit. I have had problems with all other airlines, missing flights, delays, etc. Not saying Spirit doesn't have these, just hasn't happened to me yet. Delays/cancellations happen to every airline, I always fly in day before like you said, because still MUCH cheaper to get a hotel than to pay American/Delta prices

Spirit is generally known as the line most likely to cancel flights on short notice. They have few aircraft, and they schedule them on very short turn-around, meaning that a mechanical problem means a series of cancellations. Yes, they are generally less expensive ---- so the old rule: you get what you pay for applies.

Spirit is generally known as the line most likely to cancel flights on short notice. They have few aircraft, and they schedule them on very short turn-around, meaning that a mechanical problem means a series of cancellations. Yes, they are generally less expensive ---- so the old rule: you get what you pay for applies.

Over 20 flights with Spirit and only 1 situation. Maybe I'm the exception ( don't think so though) so I will continue to get what I pay for. All airlines have issues!

I can very easily fly from DTW or CLE , so if Spirit changes flights , I have the option of changing airports for no fee. It's happened!

Look at flights into Ft Lauderdale rather than Miami and open up a whole new world of possibilities. We have never flown into Miami for a cruise. Always take Southwest non stop. Many shuttles offer services to Miami hotels or direct to and from port to airport for about $15 pp. I think Southwest flights open up 6 months out. Usually book early for best prices but they run sales often. i don't think they advertise on other websites, so go direct to Southwest.

Last trip, the grand daughter wanted to save some money and went with Spirit. The rest of us were enjoying Miami by 6pm, but after cancellations and various delays, sitting at the airport for hours, they finally made it to the hotel between midnight and 1 am.

On August 4th, SW is opening flights thru 4/24/17. They will tell you when they are opening here:

https://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/index.html

I believe their flights are cheapest the earlier you book them. Especially if flying out of an airport that isn't affected much by their sales. I booked our flights the day they opened for booking in February for August travel. They have never been cheaper, and in fact are now double the price. Since I can change them to lower price if it comes up, I do check them frequently.

Look at flights into Ft Lauderdale rather than Miami and open up a whole new world of possibilities. We have never flown into Miami for a cruise. Always take Southwest non stop. Many shuttles offer services to Miami hotels or direct to and from port to airport for about $15 pp. I think Southwest flights open up 6 months out. Usually book early for best prices but they run sales often. i don't think they advertise on other websites, so go direct to Southwest.

Last trip, the grand daughter wanted to save some money and went with Spirit. The rest of us were enjoying Miami by 6pm, but after cancellations and various delays, sitting at the airport for hours, they finally made it to the hotel between midnight and 1 am.

sometimes that just happens with any airline though. Last cruise, our friends didn't get into FLL until the next day due to delays, lost luggage, etc, and they were on Delta.

and as for the SW thing, that is probably true about the being cheapest earliest. But I don't benefit from that because I usually only maybe travel plans a month or so in advance. Some people really need the two bags a person, which can get costly on other airlines, I personally travel light, so it really doesn't factor in for me

Do you REALLY think you are better at pricing air fares than the airlines - who do it all the time, while you do it for perhaps a week or so once a year.

On any given day the fare for a fight you want will be what it is- that same flight may cost less a few days, weeks or months later --- but it may never be that low again.

When you find the flight you want at a fare that seems right, book it. If the same flight becomes more expensive as time passes, you will feel great. If the fare drops a little between the time you booked it and the date you want to fly -you will have paid a LITTLE more than you would have if you have waited. If the fare drops a lot - which should mean over a hundred dollars, you can afford the $100 it costs to change.

The bottom line is that booking early gives you the choice of flight time and seats you want - with just a $100 maximum "loss" per seat; vs the chance of paying much more per seat if you wait and fares go the wrong way.

Do not try to outsmart the airlines at their game!

Unfortunately it can be much more to change flights. I booked American from Charleston to San Juan over a month ago for November at what I thought was a good price, but with a 4 hour layover in Charlotte coming back. Well, they must have filled flights because there is now a flight leaving San Juan at the same time for the same price with only a 1 hour layover. Unfortunately I had gone through Amex Travel and they quoted me $200 to change flights! If I had waited to book I could have the shorter flights but who knew they would add more planes to the same itinerary? I don't fly often enough to know....

Over 20 flights with Spirit and only 1 situation. Maybe I'm the exception ( don't think so though) so I will continue to get what I pay for. All airlines have issues!

I can very easily fly from DTW or CLE , so if Spirit changes flights , I have the option of changing airports for no fee. It's happened!

20 flights over what time frame? If it's a month, then you have some valid information. Any longer, nope, not with hundreds of flights per week. There are official stat charts to look at that give the actual percentages.

I'm sorry, I have to post this about Spirit, it's one of my top 5 fav blog posts of all time and the comments put tears in my eyes from laughing.

http://www.awesomelyluvvie.com/2014/09/spirit-airlines-worst.html

I'm pretty picky about my flights- I want to do nonstop when possible (and literally at this point ONLY go to places that I can fly to nonstop if I am taking my kids) and I like to be selective about the time, the layover, etc. So, when I find a flight I want, as long as the price is reasonable I book it right away. Don't want to see it go up up up up!

I went ahead and booked my flight with American Airlines. It was less expensive than last years flight, it is a non-stop flight, and it's a small jet I did not want to miss out on my only non-stop flight options.

Thanks all for input.