What to wear

lneilan

DH likes to wear bowties most nights. We haven't sailed on HAL since it switched from formal nights to gala nights. I know we won't be taking our tuxedos for our upcoming cruise to Alaska on the Amsterdam. From our experience on Alaskan cruises on Princess ships, tuxedos are as rare as penguins on them.

And penguins are non-existent in the Arctic.

I expect tuxes on HAL, except for on Grands, to be in the same category in time.

Two years ago we were on HAL for a Mexican Rivera cruise and on gala nights men that didn't have on ties or jackets were given them to wear or told not come into the MDR. Last year on HAL in Alaska even gala nights were more casual, with no jackets or ties handed out.

That is long gone. Formal nights were replaced last year by Gala night where it's pretty much "dress to impress" but no jacket or tie is required.

Edited by LMaxwell

So, basically it all depends on the HAL maître d' whether you are allowed to dine in the MDR on Gala Nights?

No, it does not depend on the Maitre D' if you are allowed in

Source http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=General+Information#

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

When I go cruising down south I leave jeans, sweatpants, cargo shorts/pants, flip flops, & tee shirts (unless for gym) at home. I bring (for 11 days) 3 Chinos, 4 polos, clean sneakers, sandals, 3 chino-shorts, deck shoes, one suit (or tux), one or two blazer jackets, and five dress shirts. Dress shoes. A few ties. Maybe a bowtie or three! A bathing suit. Possibly two pairs of slacks. I jam it all into one 50lb checked bag. I have to carry my panama hat in hand because it is not a crushable one.

Denim usually weighs more than chinos, which is another reason to leave them at home.

I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed. I always wash and change for dinner in the MDR when on a cruise, unless the day has been extra long, in which case I would grab something from the lido buffet instead of MDR. People can (and do) wear whatever at the Lido.

One more thing: when cruising on HAL I always buy the unlimited pressing & laundry service. I send in the suit & jackets to get pressed out of my luggage on the first night. I like how when I leave the ship almost everything is clean.

Edited by MaxThrusters

Alaska is notoriously less formal/even more casual than other cruises.

I vote for the smart navy blazer. True black tie: last 5 or 6 Alaska cruises there were, maybe, a dozen or so.

I agree. We normally go for late seating but we went with a friend on that cruise and had dining by reservation at 7. By 10 pm 90% of the passengers were in their cabins, we thought we were putting the jazz group out as we would sit and listen until their cut off at 11 or so. Wearing a tux solely for dinner is a serious waste of packing space and money unless it gets a lot of wear at home. Our friend lovesvthe older dress codes and he wore a blue blazer and white wools for formal nights while my husband wore his khakis. We are hoping for a more stay up to midnight crowd for the Panama Canal.

I agree. We normally go for late seating but we went with a friend on that cruise and had dining by reservation at 7. By 10 pm 90% of the passengers were in their cabins, we thought we were putting the jazz group out as we would sit and listen until their cut off at 11 or so. Wearing a tux solely for dinner is a serious waste of packing space and money unless it gets a lot of wear at home. Our friend lovesvthe older dress codes and he wore a blue blazer and white wools for formal nights while my husband wore his khakis. We are hoping for a more stay up to midnight crowd for the Panama Canal.

Re: Panama Cruise

You have a good chance of a stay-up crowd. I have found the Vistas attract a younger bunch so...... maybe!

And a 19 day cruise helps, too. Possibly because everyone naps in the afternoon?

Great repo cruise, great ship!!

PS: See that you are off soon on the NWP!!!! WOW! What a cruise!!! Bon Voyage!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Re: Panama Cruise

You have a good chance of a stay-up crowd. I have found the Vistas attract a younger bunch so...... maybe!

And a 19 day cruise helps, too. Possibly because everyone naps in the afternoon?

Great repo cruise, great ship!!

PS: See that you are off soon on the NWP!!!! WOW! What a cruise!!! Bon Voyage!

I hope at least a few will stay up in the lounges that play jazz or has a pianist. We enjoy having an after dinner drink or two and talking like we did when we were a bit younger. Alaska surprised us because we had light from the sun until almost midnight. Even with shades pulled I could not sleep until at least 11. I think mid-afternoon naps may make for later nights as many have seen at least some part of the 19 days before on the Panama cruise.

Yes, we are so looking forward to the NWP! My husband's family was visiting the Grand Banks and the upper coastline of the North American continent back in the 1500's. They came over as whalers and seal bashers. We have tried to undo some of their early damage over the years. I know more than a bit of the history of Russia in Alaska and we have always been rather interested in birding and wildlife. We plan on treading lightly while there and we have a great deal of faith in all the precautons Crystal has taken to insure a safe and wonderful time. Thank you!

Oh, double thanks! I need eye shades for bed this trip! We will have 21 hour days for a good deal of the cruise.

Edited by NorthernLite

I hope at least a few will stay up in the lounges that play jazz or has a pianist. We enjoy having an after dinner drink or two and talking like we did when we were a bit younger. Alaska surprised us because we had light from the sun until almost midnight. Even with shades pulled I could not sleep until at least 11. I think mid-afternoon naps may make for later nights as many have seen at least some part of the 19 days before on the Panama cruise.

Yes, we are so looking forward to the NWP! My husband's family was visiting the Grand Banks and the upper coastline of the North American continent back in the 1500's. They came over as whalers and seal bashers. We have tried to undo some of their early damage over the years. I know more than a bit of the history of Russia in Alaska and we have always been rather interested in birding and wildlife. We plan on treading lightly while there and we have a great deal of faith in all the precautons Crystal has taken to insure a safe and wonderful time. Thank you!

Oh, double thanks! I need eye shades for bed this trip! We will have 21 hour days for a good deal of the cruise.

Dear Sue

That's an interesting family history!

This is going to be a stupendous cruise. I will be reading Roy's and Keith's blogs and will think of you and wonder how you are enjoying the cruise.

Do have the BEST of times and consider coming back and comparing Crystal and HAL.

Bon Voyage.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Interesting commentary.

So, if you could not sleep until at least 11, what time did you retire to your cabin. :confused: What time do you usually retire to you cabin on cruises? :p

I'm considering a first time cruise on a HAL Panama Canal or Hawaii cruise. Typically, what time do the lounges and pianist usually shut down? Do they play to at least midnight, or are the longes basically dead by then? The reason I ask is that I'm a night hawk, and typically on cruises, I enjoy listening to music or go to lounges for a night cap before retiring to my cabin at midnight or later.

I've read that on HAL cruises most PAX are older, typically age around 70, and retire early to their cabins?

Interesting commentary.

So, if you could not sleep until at least 11, what time did you retire to your cabin. :confused: What time do you usually retire to you cabin on cruises? :p

I'm considering a first time cruise on a HAL Panama Canal or Hawaii cruise. Typically, what time do the lounges and pianist usually go dark? Do they play to at least midnight, or are the longes basically dead by then? The reason I ask is that I'm a night hawk, and typically on Princess and Celebrity cruises, I enjoy listening to music or go to lounges for a night cap before retiring to my cabin at midnight or later.

I've read that on HAL cruises most PAX are older, typically age around 70+, and retire early to their cabins? True?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Interesting commentary.

I'm considering a first time cruise on a HAL Panama Canal or Hawaii cruise. Typically, what time do the lounges and pianist usually shut down? Do they play to at least midnight, or are the longes basically dead by then? The reason I ask is that I'm a night hawk, and typically on cruises, I enjoy listening to music or go to lounges for a night cap before retiring to my cabin at midnight or later.

I've read that on HAL cruises most PAX are older, typically age around 70, and retire early to their cabins? True?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Interesting commentary.

I've read that on HAL cruises most PAX are older, typically age around 70, and retire early to their cabins? True?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Short cruises tend to have more broad a demographic, while longer tend to the older cruisers.

Panama and Hawaii, are both big hits with longtime cruisers. Average age on our last Hawaii was 72 as the CD noted.

Some bars stay open "until close" which apparently means while someone is still ordering.

Nightlife is not a big deal on HAL generally. It really depends on the ship and the demographic of a particular cruise. Generally I do not think much stays open til midnight. Even the "midnight buffet" is over before then (really).

One plus for a nighthawk is you can wander around and have the clearest views for taking photos!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Short cruises tend to have more broad a demographic, while longer tend to the older cruisers.

Panama and Hawaii, are both big hits with longtime cruisers. Average age on our last Hawaii was 72 as the CD noted.

Some bars stay open "until close" which apparently means while someone is still ordering.

Nightlife is not a big deal on HAL generally. It really depends on the ship and the demographic of a particular cruise. Generally I do not think much stays open til midnight. Even the "midnight buffet" is over before then (really).

One plus for a nighthawk is you can wander around and have the clearest views for taking photos!

Thanks!

So, is it fair to say, HAL demographics on Panama and Hawaii cruises leaning toward older folks? Majority in 70's and above? Is the evening music entertainment lively or subdued? Piano, and music venues?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thanks!

So, is it fair to say, HAL demographics on Panama and Hawaii cruises leaning toward older folks? Majority in 70's and above? Is the evening music entertainment lively or subdued? Piano, and music venues?

That would not be a fair statement. Average age (actually should speak of "median" age) depends on length of the cruise and school vacation periods. When kids are in school, parents stay home with them. Longer cruises usually are available to passengers who are not committed to "full-time" work. These two conditions affect the median age on-board.

It must be noted that cruising when kids are in school provides much lower cruise prices and more availability of preferred staterooms. Airfares are also cheaper.

Our experience with Panama Canal cruises is the large number of European travelers who pushes the median age down.

Cruises to Hawaii push the median age up as most families would not subject kids to so many "days-at-sea".

If you count on your fellow passengers to make your cruise a "success", HAL may not be a good choice. If you have expectations of meeting friendly passengers, HAL is a good choice.

Edited by Crew News

Thanks!

Generally, yes. Panama a bit younger 50s up, Hawaii a bit older 60s up. There are always a few 30s and 40s on these cruises, but you won't find hordes of them.

Piano Bar is often hopping, depending on the pianist. SRO on some cruises every night.

Explorers Lounge is classical, pop, whatever the duo feels like, it seems. Some are quite versatile.

If you want lively, the BB Kings Blue groups are outstanding! A new fav for us!

If you are flexible, you should be able to find some lively music and some late evening settings without a problem.

Our Alaska cruise was a 14 day round trip out of Seattle. We chose the last cruise leaving in May to avoid children. In 2011 I was 49 and the DH was 60. We tried to find things to do until at least midnight and often failed. That may be due to people wanting to get up very early to catch sight of wildlife. I don-think think the demographic was very elderly but there was a line at the MDR when early seating started. We found a trio of jazz players in the bar adjoining the Explorers Club and went there normally until the music stopped. Never a problem getting seats and one night a senior officer sent over drinks just as the jazz group ended for the night. I think the bartender let them know some of us were still awake both there and in the piano bar. The piano bar has bad acoustics for taking at night in our opinion. We did use it before dinner for trivia. We did find the other passengers friendly and met many in the Neptune Lounge which was well worth the price of a suite to have that available.

On our Athens cruise we found the after dinner scene a bit more lively. This may be due to a few days where we had horizontal rain and many skipped a port or came back early to the ship. On this cruise we also had late seating and a table of 8 very compatible table mates. On neither cruise did we see more than a handful of school age children and I believe most passengers were somewhere within our age group. This was a 12 day cruise during the height of Greece's year of strikes.

While we often check out the disco area on cruise ships for at least one evening we didn'the stay past a drink on either of these cruises. We also only checked out one show on each that I remember. That is more us than bad shows as regulars on HAL appear to be big on their shows. So, after the jazz group packs up we would check out the deck and then head back to our cabin. In Alaska we often sat up longer talking and looking for orcas or dolphins outside our window while in Europe we wound up waking up earlier. Not bad on port days but on Sea days...

I agree that the longer the cruise the age normally goes up as once retired those are easier to take. Our Panama Canal cruise will also be on a bigger and newer ship than the previous 2 and that normally lowers the demographic. I believe the Westerndam is compatible in size to the former Celebrity Mercury and that was fairly lively at 17 days.

Edited by NorthernLite

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked our first cruise to Alaska and a HAL newb as well and have a question about Gala nights.

We are booked to sail in September of 2017, during the Labor Day week - we expect the cruise to be sparse of families and an older crowd, although we could be mistaken

Just curious, for those that have sailed that time of year, what is the general dress during these "formal" Alaskan nights? On Carnival, I tend to wear a suit for the first Elegant night and a sport coat for the second on Caribbean cruises but its easier to pack those item when our bags are filled with T-shirts, swimsuits and shorts, lol! I know a suit or jacket would be fine, but if the majority are in slacks and collared shirts.....

Please don't be rude - just trying to get an idea

Just booked our first cruise to Alaska and a HAL newb as well and have a question about Gala nights.

We are booked to sail in September of 2017, during the Labor Day week - we expect the cruise to be sparse of families and an older crowd, although we could be mistaken

Just curious, for those that have sailed that time of year, what is the general dress during these "formal" Alaskan nights? On Carnival, I tend to wear a suit for the first Elegant night and a sport coat for the second on Caribbean cruises but its easier to pack those item when our bags are filled with T-shirts, swimsuits and shorts, lol! I know a suit or jacket would be fine, but if the majority are in slacks and collared shirts.....

Please don't be rude - just trying to get an idea

It will be a mixed bag. Now isn't that helpful?

Don't bother with a tux. A dark suit or a dark sports jacket is good. Many will be in shirt and slacks, likely, based on the fact that Alaska has always been more casual overall.

Best yet, think in terms of what makes you feel good. Do you like getting "dressed-up"? Do you prefer to be more casual? HAL now pretty much allows you to go your own way on Gala Nights.

You have a year before this cruise. Stay tuned to this board: who knows what's next for dining on HAL.

It will be a mixed bag. Now isn't that helpful?

Don't bother with a tux. A dark suit or a dark sports jacket is good. Many will be in shirt and slacks, likely, based on the fact that Alaska has always been more casual overall.

Best yet, think in terms of what makes you feel good. Do you like getting "dressed-up"? Do you prefer to be more casual? HAL now pretty much allows you to go your own way on Gala Nights.

You have a year before this cruise. Stay tuned to this board: who knows what's next for dining on HAL.

Will I be OK for Gala Night dinner in the MDR if I wear a Navy blue sport coat, dress shirt, no tie, khaki pants, no socks, and brown boat shoes?

Will I be OK for Gala Night dinner in the MDR if I wear a Navy blue sport coat, dress shirt, no tie, khaki pants, no socks, and brown boat shoes?

You will definitely meet the dress code dressed like that.

Another men's clothing question - do men really wear jackets every night in the MDR?

Yes, there are some men who wear a jacket to dinner every night in the MDR. I happen to be one of them. It's kind of like going out to a restaurant at home with a number of our friends. Karen and I believe that dressing for dinner is part of the cruising experience.

Scott & Karen

Elegantly informal is good, but I'd consider socks as the MDR can be cool and drafty.

This is a very good take on what to wear on HAL for Alaska.

Edited by SilvertoGold