Why I will never use travel agents again

Chris86

No it's not. When we booked, there was no sale as there was no additional perks offered by Princess. If there had been, when I booked it online at the Princess WEB site, we would have those perks as they are not going away when transferred to a TA. As I noted before, there was nothing additional given with this booking.

You took a past sale and added a bunch of perks trying to show how there was some hidden discount for things we don't have.

The day it was booked, it was transferred to the TA & the savings I quoted were realized at that point in time. With our TA, if something better comes along, I can change it, or have it added, depending on the terms set by Princess. The only reason we booked when we did as there was only one WS left.

I don't know why you are having such a hard time with this. A cruise can have dozens of prices over the 2+ years that it is available for purchase. Prices go up. They go down. They go up again. The go down again. OBC gets offered as an enticement, and then it goes away. Complimentary gratuities get offered as an enticement and then they go away again. These enticements are part of the overall price and cannot be disregarded. So when each individual purchases their cruise, they lock in a static price. And that static price can itself shift down if re-faring is possible. You have now locked in a price through your TA that is lower than what the static price is that someone else can lock in from the Princess website today. No one is disputing that. But the simple truth, (and it is both simple and true), is that a person who booked your cabin directly from the Princess website in May during the Red White and Blue sale would have paid almost exactly the same price that you received from your TA. So as compared to someone who books today, you saved good money. As to someone who booked during the sale, you did not. Had you booked in May through your TA, perhaps they would have been able to save you a few hundred dollars off of that. Equally possible, (and I think more likely) is that your TA would have said: "Wow. That's a really good price. I can certainly get you that price and shave a little bit off of it to boot." But the savings probably would not have been hundreds of dollars. As was mentioned earlier in this thread by another poster, when Princess puts a cruise on super-sale, perhaps the TA can toss in a $25 or so savings. Nothing wrong with that. But hardly the type of discount that many crow about.

In a subsequent post, you went through the prices of Mini Suites. Well, it just so happens that we ended up booking a Mini Suite so I am familiar with the prices that were offered in May. And the price that was being offered during the May sale was pretty much the same price that your TA is quoting you now. Your TA's price is a terrific savings compared to July prices. It is no savings at all as compared to May prices. It is an unremarkable proposition to say that a good TA can save a customer hundreds of dollars off of certain (most?) fares, but that same TA cannot save a customer hundreds of dollars off of the website price when Princess decides to offer a blow-out sale.

To help crystalize this, imagine that you are on a cruise and there is a meet and greet the night before at a hotel bar (where people are free to talk about pricing and travel agents.) 5 couples sailing in Mini-Suites show up. You go around the room and ask everyone what they paid for their cruise and the answers are:

1. Booked direct when the cruise first became available and paid $2,400.
  2. Booked when the cruise first became available using a TA and paid $2,400. TA threw in $50 OBC.
  3. Booked when the cruise first became available using a TA and paid $2,160. TA threw in $50 OBC.
  4. Booked direct during a May sale and paid $2,200 with free gratuities.
  5. Booked during a July sale using a TA and paid $2100. TA threw in $60 OBC.

These are all very real scenarios. Person #5 saved good money over person #1 who booked direct. And they saved good money over person #2 who apparently didn't have a very good TA. And they saved a bit over person #3 who had a good TA, but that person booked before the cruise went on sale. But person #5 did not save any money over person #4. Quite simply, there are 3,000 people on the ship. And with prices fluctuating so wildly and so frequently, it is impossible for anyone to say with confidence: "My TA got me a 8%-10% savings over everyone on board who booked direct."

I don't know why you are having such a hard time with this. A cruise can have dozens of prices over the 2+ years that it is available for purchase. Prices go up. They go down. They go up again. The go down again. OBC gets offered as an enticement, and then it goes away. Complimentary gratuities get offered as an enticement and then they go away again. These enticements are part of the overall price and cannot be disregarded. So when each individual purchases their cruise, they lock in a static price. And that static price can itself shift down if re-faring is possible. You have now locked in a price through your TA that is lower than what the static price is that someone else can lock in from the Princess website today. No one is disputing that. But the simple truth, (and it is both simple and true), is that a person who booked your cabin directly from the Princess website in May during the Red White and Blue sale would have paid almost exactly the same price that you received from your TA. So as compared to someone who books today, you saved good money. As to someone who booked during the sale, you did not. Had you booked in May through your TA, perhaps they would have been able to save you a few hundred dollars off of that. Equally possible, (and I think more likely) is that your TA would have said: "Wow. That's a really good price. I can certainly get you that price and shave a little bit off of it to boot." But the savings probably would not have been hundreds of dollars. As was mentioned earlier in this thread by another poster, when Princess puts a cruise on super-sale, perhaps the TA can toss in a $25 or so savings. Nothing wrong with that. But hardly the type of discount that many crow about.

In a subsequent post, you went through the prices of Mini Suites. Well, it just so happens that we ended up booking a Mini Suite so I am familiar with the prices that were offered in May. And the price that was being offered during the May sale was pretty much the same price that your TA is quoting you now. Your TA's price is a terrific savings compared to July prices. It is no savings at all as compared to May prices. It is an unremarkable proposition to say that a good TA can save a customer hundreds of dollars off of certain (most?) fares, but that same TA cannot save a customer hundreds of dollars off of the website price when Princess decides to offer a blow-out sale.

To help crystalize this, imagine that you are on a cruise and there is a meet and greet the night before at a hotel bar (where people are free to talk about pricing and travel agents.) 5 couples sailing in Mini-Suites show up. You go around the room and ask everyone what they paid for their cruise and the answers are:

2. Booked when the cruise first became available using a TA and paid $2,400. TA threw in $50 OBC.
  3. Booked when the cruise first became available using a TA and paid $2,160. TA threw in $50 OBC.

These are all very real scenarios. Person #5 saved good money over person #1 who booked direct. And they saved good money over person #2 who apparently didn't have a very good TA. And they saved a bit over person #3 who had a good TA, but that person booked before the cruise went on sale. But person #5 did not save any money over person #4. Quite simply, there are 3,000 people on the ship. And with prices fluctuating so wildly and so frequently, it is impossible for anyone to say with confidence: "My TA got me a 8%-10% savings over everyone on board who booked direct."

You are talking about past sales which right now, you can not book a cruise under. I am not and have not said anywhere that sometime in the past or future, there will not be a better deal. If so, I can change it.

The discussion was if there was discount using a TA over princess, and at the prices this morning, I showed there is savings.

Tomorrow, there might be better promotion, but that has no effect on what anyone can book a cruise today for through Princess directly or the price you can get thru a TA.

RWB sale was great it seems, however I can't book a cruise under that or under Sip & Sale.

I am not comparing a cruise booked along time time, then when Princess increases prices, I go around telling everyone how much I saved because I bought it under a sale. The fact is still there, my TA discounts a fare today, for less than Princess will sell it to me for.

I also no longer use a TA. I have absolutely found no additional benefits and a $15 difference is one drink. They only think I have gotten through a travel agent is a small pouch i use to carry my cruise documents in. That's the results we have gotten so far but I am open to trying one who saves you 10%. Eagle in Hawk we are neighbors here in GA. and would love a hint as to the agent you use.

We have two we go to, and they are both great.

Just a question of curiosity here, since my wife does all of our cruise planning (she enjoys doing that sort of thing) and we don't use a TA. My question is why you have 2 TA's? If each one is great, why not just stick with one and make that one more money? Does each one have a particular type of travel they specialize in?

Tom

Just a question of curiosity here, since my wife does all of our cruise planning (she enjoys doing that sort of thing) and we don't use a TA. My question is why you have 2 TA's? If each one is great, why not just stick with one and make that one more money? Does each one have a particular type of travel they specialize in?

Tom

I keep two TA for the same reason baseball teams have more than one pitcher. You never know when you might need a second one.

Seriously, the ones I use are small operations. They could go out of business tomorrow.

So, just like in the major leagues, I keep a few players in the minor leagues I can 'call up' when needed.

I keep two TA for the same reason baseball teams have more than one pitcher. You never know when you might need a second one...

Do you find that their pricing varies by cruise line? I understand that TAs who book a large volume for a particular line get additional commission or perks from that line. So, in theory, they should be able to provide a larger discount to passengers should they choose to do so.

So if you sail on more than one line, you may have one TA that gives better pricing on one line, and one that gives better pricing on another line for just that reason.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Do you find that their pricing varies by cruise line? I understand that TAs who book a large volume for a particular line get additional commission or perks from that line. So, in theory, they should be able to provide a larger discount to passengers should they choose to do so.

So if you sail on more than one line, you may have one TA that gives better pricing on one line, and one that gives better pricing on another line for just that reason.

You're correct about commissions and perks. However, sometime an agency will reduce their quotes to build up their points with the cruise lines. It's difficult to predict in advance which will have the best prices. I try to ignore small differences in price and book with both agencies.

I keep two TA for the same reason baseball teams have more than one pitcher. You never know when you might need a second one.

Seriously, the ones I use are small operations. They could go out of business tomorrow.

So, just like in the major leagues, I keep a few players in the minor leagues I can 'call up' when needed.

Ah, okay, makes sense. Thanks.

Tom

I have been using a few different agencies,over the years,that I found when they compete for your business.Have been using one,mainly, the last few cruises.I got about 14% off cruise rate,before fees,and obc since they have group space set up.I feel I am doing well with that discount.They discount the same amount,no matter what category you book.

Someone earlier showed a sample of payment sent from their travel agent.It looks like the same agency I use.

I've generally always just stuck with using the Princess site too. This time however, while I did book the cruise on Princess (to get the cabin I wanted), there was no offer of OBC, the drink package or gratuities did not apply to this trip, and not even a cent less for Captain's Circle. Princess is getting very stingy lately :(. So today, I moved the reservation over to the travel agency of one of the big warehouse stores (CC frowns upon posting/advertising names, sorry). Anyway, they gave me $260 in OBC, and got me another $50 for the agency group OBC through Princess. So, I ended up with $360 (with my $50 FCC OBC), and, once I add my stockholder OBC I'll end up with $460. Far better than just the $150 I would have had leaving the booking with Princess! Pricing was the same, but now it's certainly a bit more palatable. :D

Edited by CruisingIsBest

I have been using a few different agencies,over the years,that I found when they compete for your business.Have been using one,mainly, the last few cruises.I got about 14% off cruise rate,before fees,and obc since they have group space set up.I feel I am doing well with that discount.They discount the same amount,no matter what category you book.

Someone earlier showed a sample of payment sent from their travel agent.It looks like the same agency I use.

I keep forgetting about the "compete" process. I've got a cruise booked on Holland. I'll have to check out the "compete" before I transfer that booking.

I think it is ridiculous that there are TA's that charge a fee to change a booking. I don't blame anyone to swear off using them if they experienced this. But thankfully I have a great TA that does not charge a fee for cancellations and always has a price less than Princess pricing online. She tosses in perks like OBC. I don't see myself booking direct unless I can get a better deal.

People talk about better deals from TAs I've spoken to literally dozens, not one has ever been able to offer me anything better than the line has direct.

Not sure where people get the ones who rebate commission as OBC but I've never been able to get such an offer.

My agents give me a 12-15% discount on Princess cruises as well alot of OBC and other perks such as wine, specialty dinners, etc. We also get extra OBC instead of discounts on lines that don't allow discounting (Celebrity). No fees, no cancellation penalties, no hassles - just great service, especially when there is a price drop. I have 3 good TA's and I have each of them give me their best quotes on cruises I'm interested in, then I go with the best offer.

The best way to find a great TA is to ask people on your roll call when you're on the ship. Not allowed to do that on CC or by email. Good luck.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Assuming it was not past final payment time, person #1 could have refared with Princess during the May sale and end up paying the same as person #4.

Equally possible, (and I think more likely) is that your TA would have said: "Wow. That's a really good price. I can certainly get you that price and shave a little bit off of it to boot."

Simply not true. You're trying to assume the point you're trying to prove. Good TA, the kind a lot of us use, will rebook you at any time outside final payment at the current price/promo plus the discounts/promos. They really have no choice since they know discerning customers can always cancel their booking and take their business elsewhere.

I've rebooked my cruises during sales and received the sale discounted by 10+% several times.

Using your example:

My TA would have rebooked me in May at $1980 (10% discount). I would also have received the included gratuities. She always throws in $50 OBC.

My TA would also have rebooked me in June at $1890 (10% discount) and would have thrown in the usual $50 OBC. Of course, this wouldn't make sense because of the gratuities included in the May Sale.

One other error you're making is assuming that "sales" are really "sales". All too often a promo just swaps one benefit for another of comparable value. All too often prices are increased to offset the cost of the benefits.

For example, I booked a Holland cruise. It was not on sale. Now, they've added $xplore4. I checked with my TA and I could certainly re-book and she would apply the same 10% discount I received on the original booking. Sure, they offered several benefits but the base price of the cruise went up by a comparable amount. The difference in value to me was only about $50 so I told her not to bother.

I don't. The rules here just mean endless frustration is caused when people brag about their TAs and their big discounts.

I agree - it was very frustrating to me until I talked to a roll call member while on a cruise and she shared the name of her great TA with me. I suggest you ask roll call members on your next cruise.

I've done many, many google runs trying to find evidence of these discounts, but without fail, the prices I can find from online TAs are identical to the dollar to what the cruiseline and the box-store is charging. When I reached out to what seemed like a well-rounded local TA with many agents and their own podcast, their prices were MORE than booking through the cruiseline.

My best TA (I use several) doesn't advertise prices on their website; you have to call or email them for a quote.

So the forum rules just make it into an arbitrary game of the haves and have-nots--plus I assume some people like to exaggerate their claims/discounts, because human nature.

I get 12-15% discounts on Princess (extra OBC for Celebrity since they do not allow TA's to discount), OBC and many other perks ---> not an exaggeration! ;)

I get 12-15% discounts on Princess (extra OBC for Celebrity since they do not allow TA's to discount), OBC and many other perks ---> not an exaggeration! ;)

Ditto for every line I book. They do not discount the cruise, that price ALWAYs is what the Cruiseline allows them to advertise. But due to volume bookings they are rebating a portion of their commission either as a OBC or a credit against final Pmt. This is not listed on the website and it's only disclosed when pricing the cruise in writing.

My TA on occasion if I am looking at an already deeply discounted cruise sometimes she can't do anymore. On occasion in a situation like that I was better off at that very Large Discount Box Store they give OBC and often a store gift card. Got now tires with one of those!

My TA name did come from a Roll Call Meet & Great!

My agents give me a 12-15% discount on Princess cruises as well alot of OBC and other perks such as wine, specialty dinners, etc. We also get extra OBC instead of discounts on lines that don't allow discounting (Celebrity). No fees, no cancellation penalties, no hassles - just great service, especially when there is a price drop. I have 3 good TA's and I have each of them give me their best quotes on cruises I'm interested in, then I go with the best offer.

The best way to find a great TA is to ask people on your roll call when you're on the ship. Not allowed to do that on CC or by email. Good luck.

I really need to reach out to yourt/a, on a 13k cruise got $75 obc.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I do love the irony that the discussion of never using a TA is on a chat board owned and controlled by a Travel agency.

I admit I dont get the comments my TA doesnt work weekends or nights. Do you really expect them to work 7 days a week?

I used to do all my own bookings, I tried a few different TA's found some very good ones, and think I have settled now on the one. He has saved me big bucks over the published fares on most trips, because he buys in bulk and has group rates that no one can get on their own.

If you dont like your TA shop around, like you would any service professional and find the one that fits your needs.

I do love the irony that the discussion of never using a TA is on a chat board owned and controlled by a Travel agency.

You think that might have something to do about the rules prohibiting mentioning specific names of Travel Agents?

I admit I dont get the comments my TA doesnt work weekends or nights. Do you really expect them to work 7 days a week?

I was told that the availability of travel agents on weekends was critical, you might miss out on one of those 2AM Saturday Morning "flash sales". One can only wonder about those who get up at 2AM to check cruise prices.

I always wonder how TA's can discount 14 or 15% and give obc,which they give if they have group space.Wonder what the maximum commission high volume agencies get?

If they make even 18% and give back 14% they have to get some and their agency get some.I imagine they work on volume and the small percentages add up.