Why I will never use travel agents again

Chris86

Years ago cc allowed us to discuss our TA's. Mostly what you saw were threads where people complained about their TA and their situation. Some of course raved about their TA. Might be the reason why they stopped allowing it.

I have an upcoming Princess cruise for march 2017. A Celebrity offer has come to light. A better offer. Better dates etc.

Being well over the 181 days for a penalty free cancellation I thought great lets make the switch. However I didnt realise my agent had there own set of cancelation policy ontop of Princess. We require to pay a fee for cancelation. I would understand a small fee since its extra work but I think $300 is a little excessive.

They also charge fees for refairing etc (so price drops are useless). Ontop of my frustration I specifically asked if a penalty free cancelation will be honoured by princess prior to booking since we weren't sure about the dates.

Adding to my frustration it states a change in cruise date is permitted for $50. I argued that since they are retaining the commission isnt it a change in date. They argued since it involves cancelling our cruise and booking another. No we incure the cancelation fee. The $50 is only charged within the same booking... one is not sure how you book a new departure date for the same cruise.

Has anyone experienced this before. I.e agent fees ontop of cruise lines?

Have never, never experienced that. I call my TA all the time and tell her either the rates have gone down, I want to switch to a different promo, change my cabin, dining time, etc. Even have canceled a few cruises and she has never charged us a dime. Sounds like it's time to get a new TA.....I do so much better with a TA for reduced fares on Princess and OBC for Celebrity and Royal.

You think that might have something to do about the rules prohibiting mentioning specific names of Travel Agents?

I was told that the availability of travel agents on weekends was critical, you might miss out on one of those 2AM Saturday Morning "flash sales". One can only wonder about those who get up at 2AM to check cruise prices.

Don't get up....am already up :D

My two cents (and it's probably not even worth that much): I do all the research myself upfront. I know the cruise I want, the cabin I want, the dining time I want, etc. I then use a TA from one of three large online discount agency to book the cruise (best deal wins). What do I get out of it. Usually around a 8% to 15% discount/OBC's off the "Princess price". I assume that the agency takes that out of their commission. I've cruised enough that I feel that I "know what I'm doing". The TA is just a middle man. If I could get the same discount by booking directly with the cruise line would I? Absolutely.

I've booked a few last minute flash sale deals where the TA couldn't offer any discount or OBC. So I booked directly with the cruise line.

I've never had a problem with a TA, of course that doesn't mean it won't happen on our next cruise...

If you don't feel comfortable with a "middle man" then book directly and pay a small premium.

So basically just do whatever floats your boat!

The term "travel agent" really doesn't apply anymore. There are few wh really are agents and operate on a commission. In the absence of commissions coming from the supplier ( more common these days especially with airlines) they charge the customer for their services "booking fees and such" Others are resellers either selling inventory they have purchased or they purchase from large consolidator. In that bunch are the agents who take your money and then buy the cruise. That can get ugly fast. Pretty easy for them to take the money and run. It's becoming ever increasingly difficult to know what you're dealing with as many agencies play all the options. The best buys occur when they have bills due and inventory to move. After all a break even of "Franklin" is better than a loss. Every cabin they sell has to be paid for occupied or not. My sister owns a time Share in Hawaii that she has never seen. But she takes a lot of cruises in lieu. Her time share agent buys from a consolidator.

You're trying to assume the point you're trying to prove.

And you are doing the exact same thing by placing the adjective "good" before TA. In so doing, you seem to concede the point that many, many TAs, (including every one I have contacted), will rebook you at the new sale price, but that "good" ones will do more. It may not be the case that your TA is "good" so much as it is that you are a good customer and you get preferred treatment. Like me saying "you should fly on my airline because they upgrade me without me even asking". It's the million+ miles I have flown with them that gets me that treatment, not the quality of the airline. Or maybe your TA really is simply top shelf compared to the industry as a whole. But until we get to the point that the words "every", or "any", or "typical" appear as the adjective instead of "good", this issues of inconsistency and frustration will persist. I know of no other industry that suffers from such secrecy and haphazard customer service. And in today's economic model driven by instant and verifiable information, a lack of transparency will only breed suspicion and ultimately sink the entire enterprise. There is a reason why travel agencies are closing faster than they are opening, many taking clients' money to the grave. When our conversation centers around phrases such as "good TAs" or "my TA" as opposed to TAs as a whole, there will continue to be a problem.

So my last word on this will be that I will grant you that "your TA" would have gotten you a 10% discount off of the sale price if you will correspondingly believe me when I tell you that I have contacted numerous TAs who would/could not. If that disparity is the result of you being a great, repeat customer of your TA as opposed to me being a first time customer with the ones I contacted, I can acept that. Lots of businesses operate like that. But if the disparity is the result of your TA being one of the rare "good" ones while the many I contacted are more representative of the industry standard, then this is an industry that I want no part of.

Same situation I've experienced in the UK. We always book direct with Princess now. I understand from Pam who posts regularly on cc, that the USA can get good deals from TA's, shame it's not world wide.:mad:

We get fairly good deals with our TAs. We have cruised about 20 times and have never booked direct with a cruise line, but based on what the OP has said we will be looking more closely at the small print before we book again.

In that sense, I appreciate the OP's post as it could save us a problem down the road.

The term "travel agent" really doesn't apply anymore. There are few wh really are agents and operate on a commission. In the absence of commissions coming from the supplier ( more common these days especially with airlines) they charge the customer for their services "booking fees and such" Others are resellers either selling inventory they have purchased or they purchase from large consolidator. In that bunch are the agents who take your money and then buy the cruise. That can get ugly fast. Pretty easy for them to take the money and run. It's becoming ever increasingly difficult to know what you're dealing with as many agencies play all the options. The best buys occur when they have bills due and inventory to move. After all a break even of "Franklin" is better than a loss. Every cabin they sell has to be paid for occupied or not. My sister owns a time Share in Hawaii that she has never seen. But she takes a lot of cruises in lieu. Her time share agent buys from a consolidator.

How do you have all this inside information?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

And you are doing the exact same thing by placing the adjective "good" before TA. In so doing, you seem to concede the point that many, many TAs, (including every one I have contacted), will rebook you at the new sale price, but that "good" ones will do more. It may not be the case that your TA is "good" so much as it is that you are a good customer and you get preferred treatment. Like me saying "you should fly on my airline because they upgrade me without me even asking". It's the million+ miles I have flown with them that gets me that treatment, not the quality of the airline. Or maybe your TA really is simply top shelf compared to the industry as a whole. But until we get to the point that the words "every", or "any", or "typical" appear as the adjective instead of "good", this issues of inconsistency and frustration will persist. I know of no other industry that suffers from such secrecy and haphazard customer service. And in today's economic model driven by instant and verifiable information, a lack of transparency will only breed suspicion and ultimately sink the entire enterprise. There is a reason why travel agencies are closing faster than they are opening, many taking clients' money to the grave. When our conversation centers around phrases such as "good TAs" or "my TA" as opposed to TAs as a whole, there will continue to be a problem.

Let's be clear about something. I've only take five cruises. I booked the first two through the cruise lines. I've taken two through one travel agent and one through another. That hardly qualifies me for special consideration as a "million mile plus customer".

I do agree with you that the travel agent business could be much more open and transparent. One of the best and quickest way of achieving those objectives would be a policy change allowing the sharing of travel agent information on certain websites.

The term "good" agent was chosen to indicate that there are agents that do stand out from the universe of those who are simply agents. It does no good to condemn all agents when there are those who do stand out.

So my last word on this will be that I will grant you that "your TA" would have gotten you a 10% discount off of the sale price if you will correspondingly believe me when I tell you that I have contacted numerous TAs who would/could not. If that disparity is the result of you being a great, repeat customer of your TA as opposed to me being a first time customer with the ones I contacted, I can acept that. Lots of businesses operate like that. But if the disparity is the result of your TA being one of the rare "good" ones while the many I contacted are more representative of the industry standard, then this is an industry that I want no part of.

It is your choice to do no business with an industry who perpetuates policies you do not agree with. You should realize that this policy of not advertising prices other than those advertised by the cruise likes was not imposed by the travel agents but was imposed by the cruise lines. Do you still intend to do business with the cruise lines who are one of the principal sources of these policies?

Edited by RocketMan275

While I could book direct with the cruise line, I always use a TA. I've had 3 TA's over the years (34+). The first was very good but after a few years, she got out of the business and moved out of the area. The next was a local gay travel agent who was supposed to be the best around but I found rude, condescending and unprofessional. The first trip booked was fine, we had 2 more trips booked through him while on the 2nd trip we introduced ourselves when we saw him on board and he barely said 'Hi' and immediately walked away from us like we just stepped out of a septic tank. The 3rd trip we made a point of ignoring him and made sure to let everyone we talked to know how unprofessional he was - would never use him again if he gave me the trip for free (yes that's hyperbole but 100% accurate! You'll never get a 2nd chance to burn me!).

The 3rd and final agent for over 20+ years has been the best. I know what I want before I call her to book it - I know the cruise, the price, flights, hotels, etc. Why do I use her when I've already done the work? It doesn't cost me anything, she gets a commission from the bookings, I trust her implicitly to look out for my best interests. I don't book a trip expecting TA gifts which are usually meaningless (a bottle of wine now and then is appreciated but I've told her it certainly is not expected). She handles any issues dealing with the bookings, especially with airlines even though she makes zilch on the air tickets (in fact she doesn't book air anymore but she deals with the airlines for me because I've been such a long standing customer and friend). She's an independent but works through a nationwide agency so we frequently get some kind of group discount or OBC since the agency she's associated with usually has bookings we can join). She's traveled extensively so knows the ins and outs of travel, especially with airlines and their issues. On our Tahiti trip two years ago she handled multiple airline changes and errors for me that I didn't have to deal with (booked through EZAir by the way with zero notifications from Princess at any time but that's another story!). She even bought us United Club day passes on our trip to Tahiti.

I believe in rewarding a job well done by staying with that company/agency/person and not changing to someone else for a buck or two. There is little enough loyalty these days so I make sure to let her know how much I appreciate her. I'd much rather work with a small independent who cares than a nationwide agency who's only interest in the $'s brought in and reflects that in the level of service you receive (that also goes for restaurants, stores, etc).

As far as cancellation or change charges by an agency in addition to an airline/hotel/cruise line, that's on you to find out about before making the booking. You have to read the fine print before signing. Since it appears you got burned once, you won't forget about it again - that's how most of the important lessons are learned! Just my 2 cents!

Wow ! Totally incorrect idea of how the travel agent industry books your cruise [emoji34]

People talk about better deals from TAs I've spoken to literally dozens, not one has ever been able to offer me anything better than the line has direct.

Not sure where people get the ones who rebate commission as OBC but I've never been able to get such an offer.

I have never found one either. I think those who get these fabulous rebates and OBC are agents booking their own cruise or they book long itineraries in higher category rooms.

I used the same agent twice and got nothing not even a bottle of wine. The third booking I actually asked if the agency offered OBC or reduced rates. I was told no, so I just called Princess and booked it myself. I will say this agent was very responsive and returned emails promptly. I would rather deal with Princess directly and not have to go through a middle man especially if the middle man isn't comping me something.

Well my TA rebated (from her commission) $1300.00 and because of a cruise seminar she had attended was also able to provide an addition $500 for all bookings within 10 days of the program. The cost of the cruise was identical but in the details of the invoice a total of $1,800 came off my balance due.

Google Luxury Travel Agents and you may have better luck. These are not cruise discounts but rather "Booking Incentives" from agents who do high volume with certain cruise lines. I will say for 20 yrs I did use my dear friend who was a home town TA, she once gave us a $50 OBC and that was after many $1000's of dollars worth of bookings. Coming to CC several years ago (ignore this join date) opened my eyes to all the $$ I had left on the table over the years. Now my TA gives me great service, and saved me some very considerable money! It's real and you need to keep your eyes and ears peeled to figure it out.

PS on this trip she paid my Gratuites too :)

Edited by JVilleGal

I have never found one either. I think those who get these fabulous rebates and OBC are agents booking their own cruise or they book long itineraries in higher category rooms.

I used the same agent twice and got nothing not even a bottle of wine. The third booking I actually asked if the agency offered OBC or reduced rates. I was told no, so I just called Princess and booked it myself. I will say this agent was very responsive and returned emails promptly. I would rather deal with Princess directly and not have to go through a middle man especially if the middle man isn't comping me something.

No, we are not all agents booking our own cruise. Certainly longer itineraries are more expensive so a bigger discount. I have used several different agencies over the years and mostly get 10% off the cruise fare (does not include taxes and port fees but strictly the cruise fare which is less than what you see on the Princess web site as that price includes some gov't fees).

It appears that most agents don't discount but there are small agencies that do a big cruise business so discount. There are also big online agencies that discount too. You just have to find them.

Wow ! Totally incorrect idea of how the travel agent industry books your cruise [emoji34]

Really? My daughter has made a very good living wholesaling cruises and all inclusives for a number of years. You might want to Google cruise consolidators or cruise brokers to come up to speed.......

Even though we have only been on five cruises the Direct versus TA decision has always been one that we ponder over. We have booked both directly and through a TA with good results both ways. As we got a little more experienced and bold we have mostly booked direct. As control freaks direct seems to be more comfortable.

Our booking process for our last cruise went something like this:

September 13, 2013 – directly booked a Diamond Princess Lido balcony (BF) for $3149 PP for a 14 day cruise from Singapore to Yokohama, Japan (April 14th – 29th 2015)

August 5th 2014 – Due to job related issues had to delay out cruise until the following year. We called Princess directly and within 15 minutes we were rescheduled for a similar itinerary departing Singapore on April 11th 2016 for the same amount of money ($3149 PP). Princess made the adjustment without adding rebooking fees.

October 29th 2015 – We received an email from Cruise Critic Price Drop that the Lido balcony was now priced $2699 PP – a total savings of $900. We again called Princess directly and after a 10 minute conversation our new booking confirmation was in our email inbox. No additional costs associated.

On March 8th 2016 – We received an email directly from Princess announcing an Upsell opportunity from the Lido Balcony to a forward Mini-Suite for $299 per person. We had just hours to react and accept or decline the offer. Another call directly to Princess and we were booked into a forward mini-suite (ME) for a total of $2998 PP.

If we had booked through a TA many of these changes would have had charges attached. It is also very likely that we would have not received the Upsell offer in time to take advantage of the upgrade since the TA would have received the offer first.

We have read some of the horror stories of impolite and curt agents who answer the telephones at Princess and other cruise lines but we can categorically state that this has never been our experience. Each and every agent we have spoken to at Princess and Norwegian has been pleasant, helpful, and professional in answering our questions and reacting to our requests for change.

Other may have had other results. Just our two cents.

Edited by lpops
Corrected a date

Years ago cc allowed us to discuss our TA's. Mostly what you saw were threads where people complained about their TA and their situation. Some of course raved about their TA. Might be the reason why they stopped allowing it.

This board used to be sponsored by a travel agency when it was created. It was not allowed from the beginning. Then it changed in which people could talk about TA's but not solicit business for them. Mentioning the agency name or telling posters to email for information is soliciting.

Many TA's sell in volume and have access to special pricing. I book with one. Princess was never cruise line that had fixed pricing. Good deals can be found and additional perks. Unfortunately you haven't found a good TA. Next time you cruise ask those who have cruised for many years. Word of mouth and a good reputation might land you with someone you can trust and get a good deal too.

We have used our TA for approx. 9 years and would not even think of changing.

Aside from help and expert input with booking, aside from the perks that are available, she has ALWAYS had our backs.

One time I sent an email while actually on a cruise, she contacted Holland Corp. offices and our problem (no fault of hers) was resolved within 24 hours and that happened twice. I have called her so often while planning, (changing cabin, looking for specials I have heard of right here on CC)that sometimes I feel embarrassed, but NEVER, EVER has she made me feel that way.

When we had to cancel a cruise within the penalty period, she even contacted the insurance company (the same day I called her) and got the ball rolling while I was still reeling from my husbands emergency. NEVER, have we been on a cruise when we didn't get that "Bon Voyage" email and also one waiting when we returned home to welcome us back. The perks and thoughtful wine and Specialty Dining comps are great, but a, one call and it's handled makes everything sooooooo much better.

Edited by ibfishing2

After using TA's for a few years (mainly because Princess did not accept direct bookings), I have made most of the reservations for the past few cruises. The one TA that I had good results with 2 or 3 years ago was the American Airlines Cruise desk. It was an easy job for our agent since we already knew the cruise, cabin, and flights that we wanted. Nevertheless, she was very friendly and kept us well informed. I don't recall any OBC's or bottles of wine, but the additional frequent flier miles were certainly welcome! Now that we've reached Elite level, we don't really need much more.

I do have a question if anyone can help. We've identified the Princess cruise that we'd like to take next February. I would just as soon book it now, along with the appropriate airline reservations. But my wife seems to recall some sort of bonus if we wait to book it on our upcoming Princess cruise in 6 weeks. (We deposited money for 2 or 3 future cruises on our last cruise, so that's taken care of already.) Does anyone know if there is a reason to wait?

Edited by indyrocks

After using TA's for a few years (mainly because Princess did not accept direct bookings), I have made most of the reservations for the past few cruises. The one TA that I had good results with 2 or 3 years ago was the American Airlines Cruise desk. It was an easy job for our agent since we already knew the cruise, cabin, and flights that we wanted. Nevertheless, she was very friendly and kept us well informed. I don't recall any OBC's or bottles of wine, but the additional frequent flier miles were certainly welcome! Now that we've reached Elite level, we don't really need much more.

I do have a question if anyone can help. We've identified the Princess cruise that we'd like to take next February. I would just as soon book it now, along with the appropriate airline reservations. But my wife seems to recall some sort of bonus if we wait to book it on our upcoming Princess cruise in 6 weeks. (We deposited money for 2 or 3 future cruises on our last cruise, so that's taken care of already.) Does anyone know if there is a reason to wait?

We never book a cruise on a cruise. Have never found any deals booking onboard. We only buy the FCD's and you have already done that. So may as well book it now. ;)

Thanks, Keith. I just read on another thread that the FCDs are only available on cruises or at special events near the ports, so that must be what my wife is thinking of. Since we still have an FCD to use, we'll get the on-board credit that accompanies it. I'll be calling Princess tomorrow so we can get away from miserable Midwestern winter weather in 6 months. (I so love being retired!)